Coach K | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coach K

Reaction Score
"definitely not even in the realm of Zion". I wasn't comparing them apples to apples. I was comparing their natural / raw athletic potential. You can't doubt that sticks was one of the best athletes ever to walk through our doors. My point was that pure athletic talent doesn't guarantee success in professional sports. I'll say it again so you all understand. Zion is a freak athlete but is not a good BASKETBALL player. There is a difference and I was trying to make a point with Sticks.
What's the point of the comparison if it's not close to apples to apples?

Further, your position is that he doesn't have basketball talent, but he still averaged 22-9 as a freshman when other super athletes came nowhere near that. It seems you refute your own point with your example. Being an athlete only isn't even enough to score and rebound at the rate that Zion did.

Zion is a very good basketball player. That I have to say this is crazy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Remember a guy named Stanley Robinson? Definitely not even in the realm of Zion, but maybe the most athletic / natural talent UConn has ever had at the college level. Guy could jump through the roof and was built like a man. Closest he ever got to an NBA court would be paying for court side seats.

1. Scott Burrell was a better athlete
  2. Zion played harder in one game than Stanley did in entire seasons. Zion's an animal out there.
  3. Injuries derailed Stanley's pro career.

We're comparing Zion to Stanley here. Love Stan, but it couldn't be farther off.

At least we didn't get "Stanley Robinson is not a BE caliber athlete" somewhere in this thread. We haven't reached that point yet.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You just need to stop watching basketball if you don’t think he’s a good basketball player.

And you definitely need to stop posting about it.

Sure thing buddy. Give me the glasses you watched his last 3 games with. I wish I saw it like you did.

I watch a lot of NBA, this guy is going to be eaten alive in the association. He let Taco Falls eat him alive. Think about what Embiid, Drummond, KAT or AD will do to him.

Reaction Score
  1. Scott Burrell was a better athlete
  2. Zion played harder in one game than Stanley did in entire seasons. Zion's an animal out there.
  3. Injuries derailed Stanley's pro career.

I can't believe we're comparing Zion to Stanley here. Love Stan, but it couldn't be farther off.

At least we didn't get "Stanley Robinson is not a BE caliber athlete" in this thread. We haven't reached that point yet.
"Now hear me out: player X isn't the athlete or basketball player, even as a senior, that player Y is right now as a freshman. But player X didn't sniff the NBA, so that means player Y won't either."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
NBA spacing is going to help Zion thrive. If/when he develops a consistent outside shot, then forget it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's what Calhoun did with the diamonds that mattered most. Getting good players is rarely enough when the goal is a national title.

As for K, if he coached UMass, the one and dones would not follow. Duke is as much of a draw as K. Throw in great weather, and being in the ACC, and it's a homerun.

JC had an eye for talent, because he had to. If he could have gotten K's All American's, he would have taken them.

I get that, why does K get all that talent? Because he's the draw. And the brand he built. It's not like AA's were lining up at Duke's door before K got there. Talent comes to them because he made it so.

I think JC is one of the best of all time. Even at recruiting, and finding diamonds in the rough, etc. But K's just been flat out better than everyone not named Calipari his entire career.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
"Now hear me out: player X isn't the athlete or basketball player, even as a senior, that player Y is right now as a freshman. But player X didn't sniff the NBA, so that means player Y won't either."

Fine. Let's just put up a plaque in Springfield now for Zion. Why even make him step on an NBA court?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well I guess that's why they play the tournament. ESPN basically gave Zion and Coach K the trophy before the year. Nice to see someone ripped it from their hands.

Same thing happened in 1999. With us doing the ripping.

Reaction Score
Sure thing buddy. Give me the glasses you watched his last 3 games with. I wish I saw it like you did.

I watch a lot of NBA, this guy is going to be eaten alive in the association. He let Taco Falls eat him alive. Think about what Embiid, Drummond, KAT or AD will do to him.
His last 3 games

vs. UCF

32 pts (50% FG), 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 3 TOs (oh, and the game-saving drive)

vs. VT

23 pts (78% FG), 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 3 TOs

vs. MSU

24 pts (52% FG), 14 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, 3 steals, 5 TOs.

In the most pressure-packed games of his career thus far he averaged 26ppg, 11rpg on a high percentage, and threw in 2 blocks per game, 2 assists per game, and almost 2 steals per game.

I'd say he did just fine. By "Tacko Fall" eating him alive, he put up 32 and 11 against him. And he won't be playing center against any of those dudes anyway...

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
A DUDE ON HERE JUST SAID ZION IS NOT A GOOD BASKETBALL PLAYER.

That's it. That's the post right there. I tap out. You win, Boneyard.

Literally I've said it 5 times now. He is one of the best athletes in the world. He is not a good fundamental basketball player. He has been able to rely on his superior athletic ability to dominate college basketball. When LeBron was his age he was putting up Zion stats + some in the NBA against the best players in the world. All I am trying to say is lets hit pause before we anoint this guy the next great one. Like ESPN has done every single day, one every single college basketball broadcast (include on UConn broadcasts) since October.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You are a wingnut.

Don’t move the goalposts - you actually posted that a guy who just had a 23 and 9 freshman year while shooting about 70% was from the field was “not a good BASKETBALL player.” This is an opinion that you actually thought needed to see the light of day.

He had 24 points and 14 rebounds today. He had 23 and six against VaTech and 32 and 11 vs UCF - you don’t need glasses, you need to watch tennis or golf or just the wall because basketball is not something you understand.

My goodness.

Reaction Score
Fine. Let's just put up a plaque in Springfield now for Zion. Why even make him step on an NBA court?
You're not good at this.

You said he's not good at basketball but is just an athlete. All the evidence points to the contrary, so your default is a ridiculous straw man.

Maybe step away.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's what Calhoun did with the diamonds that mattered most. Getting good players is rarely enough when the goal is a national title.

OK, yes, but that's not recruiting, that's developing players. We're talking solely about recruiting. I put JC up there all time in player development.

As for K, if he coached UMass, the one and dones would not follow. Duke is as much of a draw as K. Throw in great weather, and being in the ACC, and it's a homerun.

Given the leagues they play in, I'm quite certain you're right. I don't understand that comparison. Would JC have been JC if he stayed at Northeastern?

Wake forest has the same metrics as Duke in regards to what you are talking about. If K was there, he likely would have done a similar job.

And really, any potential all time coach is getting a plumb job in a top league.

Reaction Score
You are a wingnut.

Don’t move the goalposts - you actually posted that a guy who just had a 23 and 9 freshman year while shooting about 70% was from the field was “not a good BASKETBALL player.” This is an opinion that you actually thought needed to see the light of day.

He had 24 points and 14 rebounds today. He had 23 and six against VaTech and 32 and 11 vs UCF - you don’t need glasses, you need to watch tennis or golf or just the wall because basketball is not something you understand.

My goodness.
587869.gif

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Literally I've said it 5 times now. He is one of the best athletes in the world. He is not a good fundamental basketball player. He has been able to rely on his superior athletic ability to dominate college basketball. When LeBron was his age he was putting up Zion stats + some in the NBA against the best players in the world. All I am trying to say is lets hit pause before we anoint this guy the next great one. Like ESPN has done every single day, one every single college basketball broadcast (include on UConn broadcasts) since October.
You have not watched a minute of Zion Williamson if you truly believe he is not a good fundamental basketball player.
His passing ability, rebounding, offensive and defensive instincts, and even his shot form is miles ahead of almost every player ever his age at that size. That's not even to mention his freak athleticism. If you don't recognize that, you simply don't understand basketball.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Here's a question: How many one and dones have played for championship teams?

Duke’s 2015 title team and I think Kentucky 2012 had one and ones.

Reaction Score
I absolutely love that UConn kept Duke from titles in 1999 and by beating them in the semis in 2004. I also cherish the fact that if not for UConn Kentucky would have 2 more titles with the semi win in 2011 and the 2014 title. The basketball world should bow to UConn for keeping Calipari’s and K’s egos in check and keeping the ESPN talking heads from more of a Duke and Kentucky love fest.

And Zion will be an NBA hall of famer. His basketball skills will improve greatly with maturity and his athleticism is off the charts

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Bro , I’m bitter right now. I can’t take it. This rebuild ain’t rebuilding fast enough.

I feel you. He still looks like king rat face.

When you type 'rate face' into google images, he comes up as one of the horizontal category suggestions in the bar across the top. So there's that.

Reaction Score
For a freshman to play at yhat level this deep into the season is tough.

Coach k is a very good coach, that"s not debatable, some of you act like getting into the final four should be a foregone conclusion for K and Zion.

Some of these comments are so absurd and delusional

Reaction Score
Yeah and when LeBron was a rookie at 19 in the NBA he averaged 20.9 points, 5.5 rebounds, 5.9 assists and 1.6 steals per game. Thats against NBA talent. Zion can hardly do that against college competition. Is Zion a great athlete? Absolutely. Is he a great basketball player? Lmao no.

The media hyped this guy as a generational basketball player. Generational basketball players don't get blocked multiple times and have 5 turnovers in the game their team loses 2 "rounds" short of the finals.

Generational athlete =/= generational basketball player.

Is anyone really saying the latter?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
People in the BY do realize that NBA players are vastly superior to college talent? Has he posted great stats in college? Sure! In one of the best conferences? Sure!

But the step to the next level most people are his size and can match his quickness. He won't be able to bully his way like he does in college. He can't shoot outside the paint (you guy's might not watch NBA, but that is required even for centers these days). He relies on his size to bully opposing bigs while driving. If you think he is going to do that to someone like Embiid, Jokic, Blake, AD, etc., then he has a lot of development left.

He can get there, but I think with his skill set (not a 7 footer and not a dynamic guard) he is going to have a tough time adjusting to the NBA from college / high school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom