2004: 1 Duke / 4 Wake Forest - Raleigh
2003: 3 Duke – Salt Lake City
2002: 1 Duke – Greenville
2001: 1 Duke – Greensboro
2000: 1 Duke – Winston-Salem
1999: 1 Duke – Charlotte
1998: 1 Duke – Lexington
1997: 2 Duke – Charlotte
1996: 8 Duke – Indianapolis (8 seed in our region, we were 1 seed)
1995: Duke didn’t qualify
1994: 2 Duke – (can’t find where, but no NC towns)
1993: 3 Duke – Chicago
1992: 1 Duke – Greensboro
1991: 2 Duke – No NC places
1990: 3 Duke – No NC places

So…in 25 tournaments, Duke made 24, and played a first/second round game in North Carolina 12 times…and in the 13 years since pods started and they no longer had to compete with UNC, they played 7 times in North Carolina.

Also, I'd bet it's even worse if I did UNC.

And you can eliminate 3 of those 25, as there were no NC sites. So 12 /22 = 55%

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
This guy is a Hall of Fame coach.

And he is a first class TOOL.

Maybe if he spent more time coaching the rest of his team, rather than coddling Parker, they'd still be playing.

Reaction Score
And you can eliminate 3 of those 25, as there were no NC sites. So 12 /22 = 55%
Well, to be fair, every year after the pod started, if there was a North Carolina site, Duke got it, except 2007. Before the pods, it was a little less likely...but then there were some years where more than one North Carolina city got first round games. 1997, for instance, had first and second round games in Charlotte and Winston-Salem.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He also complained that he spoke for the ACC and nobody has his back...

If his back hurt maybe they will erase all those ugly 1st and second round losses
However rest assured, the rat felt fine during the 4 championship games
I hold contempt for that vermin

Reaction Score
Coach K wants Duke to be seeded lower so that they don't face a double digit seed in first round anymore.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The dude complains that the ACC gets no credit and lobbies NC State into the tourney. 2 first round losses later he's eating his words.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Duke was a 4 seed, IMO, by resume. In fact, their resume looked roughly like ours (other than basic RPI), yet we got a 7.

A few years ago, they suggested they only used RPI really for sorting. By that, I mean record against certain groups (v. Top 25, v. Top 50), etc. The RPI sucks, so that's pretty stupid, but if that's really all they used it for, it wasn't that bad. Instead, they used it straight up when it suit them, but then some teams they just ignored...I mean, if you were going to value it as much as they did, how did Southern Miss not get in?
Agree. ISU had a better resume than Duke. Duke lost to ND, Wake and Clemson. Oh yeah.... and Mercer. LOL

U

UCONNfan1

This guy is unbelievable, nobody in the history of the tournament has gotten better treatment than him and he still complains. His behavior is all around disgusting, everything has been stacked in his favor his whole career and he still can't help himself.
I think part of the problem is that he's gotten that preferential treatment for so long that he feels he's owed it. In a way, you can't blame the guy when the committee has basically given Duke a cake walk to the final 4 every year and then suddenly they get a spine and make it a skosh harder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think part of the problem is that he's gotten that preferential treatment for so long that he feels he's owed it. In a way, you can't blame the guy when the committee has basically given Duke a cake walk to the final 4 every year and then suddenly they get a spine and make it a skooch harder.

How exactly did they make it harder? They gave him a four seed that he didn't deserve and he got to play a 13 seed in the first round on his home court?

U

UCONNfan1

How exactly did they make it harder? They gave him a four seed that he didn't deserve and he got to play a 13 seed in the first round on his home court?
Agree with you - i was sort of being sarcastic. and to be fair, i did say it was a skosh harder, which in more common terms, is a "minutia". ;)

Reaction Score
What a joke. Seriously though, Coach K. is laying the groundwork for dook to receive automatic first and second round byes in the tourney. An outside third-party consultant told him it would improve his chances of playing in a sweet sixteen before he retires.

Reaction Score
Their
But you can only seed Kentucky based on what they DID during the regular season, not what they COULD'VE or SHOULD'VE done. I, for one, would've been screaming bloody murder if UK had gotten a higher seed bc they didn't deserve a higher seed based on their play. Just so happens that they played their best game of the year when it really counted.

Their RPI was #17. They are #13 in the Ken Pom efficiency ratings. In the Massey composite, they come out at #20. Sagarin has them at #15. Honestly, what system would you suggest they use to discount all objective information that suggests Kentucky should have been a 5 seed and conclude not only should it have been as low as an 8 seed, but LOWER ?!?

Kentucky lost a couple games in conference that were, eh, but so did UConn. They lost 3 times to Florida, UConn lost 3 times to Louisville. Frankly, they both should have been 5 seeds.

Reaction Score
Their

Their RPI was #17. They are #13 in the Ken Pom efficiency ratings. In the Massey composite, they come out at #20. Sagarin has them at #15. Honestly, what system would you suggest they use to discount all objective information that suggests Kentucky should have been a 5 seed and conclude not only should it have been as low as an 8 seed, but LOWER ?!?

Kentucky lost a couple games in conference that were, eh, but so did UConn. They lost 3 times to Florida, UConn lost 3 times to Louisville. Frankly, they both should have been 5 seeds.

I don't subscribe to RPI and all that other nonsense. I watch basketball games. Don't be fooled by Tennessee. They got a really good draw. The SEC is AWFUL.. WORSE than the American and it's not really even that close.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I don't subscribe to RPI and all that other nonsense. I watch basketball games. Don't be fooled by Tennessee. They got a really good draw. The SEC is AWFUL.. WORSE than the American and it's not really even that close.

Lol. You sound like the same baseball fan who refuses to use OPS+, eQa or other metrics to define hitter success because you watch a guy's swing plane and determine he is good despite his .295 OBP.

Kentucky and Tennessee are pretty good and the SEC > American.

Reaction Score
Lol. You sound like the same baseball fan who refuses to use OPS+, eQa or other metrics to define hitter success because you watch a guy's swing plane and determine he is good despite his .295 OBP.

The SEC had 2 teams worthy of the tournament (and TN snuck in).. the American had 5.. TN would've finished 5th or so in the American, maybe 6th.. they finished 4th in the SEC

Reaction Score

The SEC is barely better than the AAC. Florida is better than all the AAC schools, but then Louisville/Cincy/UConn were all better than UK. And Memphis had a much better season than Tennessee. And SMU vs. Tennessee was sort of a toss up.

The problem for the AAC, on repeat, is that the bottom 5 schools were garbage. Mizzou, Arkansas, and LSU were okay, and the bottom 8 schools were garbage...but better than our bottom 5.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The SEC is barely better than the AAC. Florida is better than all the AAC schools, but then Louisville/Cincy/UConn were all better than UK. And Memphis had a much better season than Tennessee. And SMU vs. Tennessee was sort of a toss up.

The problem for the AAC, on repeat, is that the bottom 5 schools were garbage. Mizzou, Arkansas, and LSU were okay, and the bottom 8 schools were garbage...but better than our bottom 5.

Yes. Whole heatedly agree. Except that I think Tennessee is better than SMU. But barely better is still better.

Reaction Score

Georgia finished 3rd in the SEC in the regular season.. missed the tournament and nobody even batted an eye

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
rous.jpg

Reaction Score
I think he means that they should automatically be placed in the final four, and have the rest in a three region tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom