Coach K wants the seeding procedure to change | The Boneyard

Coach K wants the seeding procedure to change

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3149

What a joke, you were given a 3 seed. Beat the 14 seed who had n0 McDonalds all americans, no hall of fame coaches, and no fan base. It shouldn't be hard Coach K...

Oh and did I mention this game was played in North Carolina???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I can't watch the video, can you summarize his points?

D

Deleted member 3149

I can't watch the video, can you summarize his points?
Basically thinks that someone should review the selections after the committee finalizes the bracket. Not a terrible idea, but he shouldn't be the one complaining. If this came from Greg Marshall at Wichita St. I'd understand.

Reaction Score
I can't even imagine Calhoun complaining about something like this.

Guess what? I bet this will get legs coming from k.

Reaction Score
This guy is unbelievable, nobody in the history of the tournament has gotten better treatment than him and he still complains. His behavior is all around disgusting, everything has been stacked in his favor his whole career and he still can't help himself.

Reaction Score
He also complained that he spoke for the ACC and nobody has his back...

Reaction Score
He has absolutely no right to complain for his own seeding, Duke shouldn't have even gotten a 3.

That said, this year the seeding was really...weird and bad.

Wichita State got completely bitch-slapped. If they'd have known their draw at the time they'd have thrown the conference championship game to get knocked down to a 2 or 3 seed to give themselves a legitimate chance.

On the opposite end, we get underseeded and it resulted in a pretty good draw.

Reaction Score
It just seems like dook's first two game in the NCAAs are in the state of North Carolina every year. I tried to do some research to confirm this, but could only find game and round outcomes for them without listing the location of the game. Anyone know of a site that would list he locations of their NCAA tourney games?

Reaction Score
LOL at Coach K complaining about seeding. Dokies got every favorable treatment you can think of for the NCAA and he is still b*tching? This guy really needs a touch of reality. It was a joke Dokies got higher seed than we did this year. What makes them a 3 and we are a 7?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Video only shows what Katz says coach K says. So you can't tell at all if he was bitching about his seed, or WSUs, or just the process. Since we all think the process sucks, in general, I'd say we agree with him. I hate Duke, but coach K is right here. The guys in the room picking the bracket may not be the best choice to handle seeding. Whether you get in or not depends on your whole season, not who is playing well or not. Seeding is supposed to take into acount who is playing well, injuries etc. In the past it has, and this year it did not. That's a mistake.

Reaction Score
Double checking the process this year would have taken their home game.

Reaction Score
It just seems like dook's first two game in the NCAAs are in the state of North Carolina every year. I tried to do some research to confirm this, but could only find game and round outcomes for them without listing the location of the game. Anyone know of a site that would list he locations of their NCAA tourney games?

http://www.allbrackets.com/
Click on the year on the left, which brings up the brackets for the year. The location is on the sides.

Reaction Score

2014: 1 Virginia / 3 Duke – Raleigh
2013: 2 Duke – Philadelphia/Indianapolis
2012: 2Duke / 1 UNC – Greensboro
2011: 1 Duke/ 2 UNC – Charlotte
2010: 1 Duke – Jacksonville
2009: 2 Duke/ 1 UNC – Greensboro
2008: 2 Duke – Washington DC
2007: 6 Duke – Buffalo
2006: 1 Duke – Greensboro
2005: 1 Duke / 1 UNC – Charlotte
2004: 1 Duke / 4 Wake Forest - Raleigh
2003: 3 Duke – Salt Lake City
2002: 1 Duke – Greenville
2001: 1 Duke – Greensboro
2000: 1 Duke – Winston-Salem
1999: 1 Duke – Charlotte
1998: 1 Duke – Lexington
1997: 2 Duke – Charlotte
1996: 8 Duke – Indianapolis (8 seed in our region, we were 1 seed)
1995: Duke didn’t qualify
1994: 2 Duke – (can’t find where, but no NC towns)
1993: 3 Duke – Chicago
1992: 1 Duke – Greensboro
1991: 2 Duke – No NC places
1990: 3 Duke – No NC places

So…in 25 tournaments, Duke made 24, and played a first/second round game in North Carolina 12 times…and in the 13 years since pods started and they no longer had to compete with UNC, they played 7 times in North Carolina.

Also, I'd bet it's even worse if I did UNC.

pj

Reaction Score
He has absolutely no right to complain for his own seeding, Duke shouldn't have even gotten a 3.

That said, this year the seeding was really...weird and bad.

Wichita State got completely bitch-slapped. If they'd have known their draw at the time they'd have thrown the conference championship game to get knocked down to a 2 or 3 seed to give themselves a legitimate chance.

On the opposite end, we get underseeded and it resulted in a pretty good draw.

Yes, our draw was much easier than Wichita State's. Villanova was weaker than Kentucky, Iowa State weaker than Louisville. We just had a tougher first round in St Joe's.

Committee was horrific this year.

GetRatchet

Shabazz Knapsack
Reaction Score
No matter your opinion on Coach K the fact of the matter the seeding and locations are extremely screwed up as a general rule of thumb as the committee is a small group with very little oversight and repercussions for their actions. To blindly believe Coach K thinks only Duke got screwed over in the seedings and is just whining for more love from the committee is a bit ridiculous. As someone already mentioned Wichita State had to play an underachieving team loaded with talent in Kentucky in the second round. His comments actually make a little sense honestly.

Reaction Score
Yes, our draw was much easier than Wichita State's. Villanova was weaker than Kentucky, Iowa State weaker than Louisville. We just had a tougher first round in St Joe's.

Committee was horrific this year.

But you can only seed Kentucky based on what they DID during the regular season, not what they COULD'VE or SHOULD'VE done. I, for one, would've been screaming bloody murder if UK had gotten a higher seed bc they didn't deserve a higher seed based on their play. Just so happens that they played their best game of the year when it really counted.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
krat.jpg

Reaction Score
But you can only seed Kentucky based on what they DID during the regular season, not what they COULD'VE or SHOULD'VE done. I, for one, would've been screaming bloody murder if UK had gotten a higher seed bc they didn't deserve a higher seed based on their play. Just so happens that they played their best game of the year when it really counted.
Agree completely. It's easy to talk about incorrect seeding with the benefit of hindsight but before the Wichita St. game Kentucky's two best performances this year were beating Lville and losing to Florida in the SEC championship game. Sometimes uber talent but underperformance garners a seed similar to Kentucky's and it happens to be incredibly appropriate - looking at you Oklahoma St (not quite the level of talent but definitely better wins). And yes, our path might be "easier" but that's more hindsight bias and unfortunate luck. Nova was a good team, and we shouldn't sell our performance short. ISU won the Big XII and will be a hugely tough match up for us regardless of the fact that one of their best players is hurt.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Am I misremembering or did Duke's rank increase after losses this year? The Committee had more than 1 ACC representative on it and gave Duke a seed they probably didn't deserve as well as a favorable 1st round match up in friendly waters. Mercer is a member of a conference who prior to 2013 NEVER won an NCAA Tourney game. I think Coach K is pretty out of line on this one.

Reaction Score
Am I misremembering or did Duke's rank increase after losses this year? The Committee had more than 1 ACC representative on it and gave Duke a seed they probably didn't deserve as well as a favorable 1st round match up in friendly waters. Mercer is a member of a conference who prior to 2013 NEVER won an NCAA Tourney game. I think Coach K is pretty out of line on this one.
Duke was a 4 seed, IMO, by resume. In fact, their resume looked roughly like ours (other than basic RPI), yet we got a 7.

A few years ago, they suggested they only used RPI really for sorting. By that, I mean record against certain groups (v. Top 25, v. Top 50), etc. The RPI sucks, so that's pretty stupid, but if that's really all they used it for, it wasn't that bad. Instead, they used it straight up when it suit them, but then some teams they just ignored...I mean, if you were going to value it as much as they did, how did Southern Miss not get in?

caw

Reaction Score
I would feel bad for WSU if they had lost to UL, who was under seeded. UK was seeded correctly, you may argue that WSU shouldn't have gotten them and another 1 seed should have but that's not a seeding issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom