Coach K continues to lobby for UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach K continues to lobby for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the ACC were to go to 16, I would not be shocked if they try to further increase the exit fee.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If the ACC were to go to 16, I would not be shocked if they try to further increase the exit fee.
That would be the sensible thing to do. But if UConn and Rutgers are admitted, some of the football centric schools might accept them reluctantly and insist the exit fees be maintained or reduced as conditions for their acceptance of these schools. They would hope that the conference would improve football wise and stay with the ACC. But if not they would want to leave. This is a game of chess and the ACC has its polarity similar to the BE, but not quite as strong.

Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand: All the rumors say if ND joins, we'll be the tag along. However, aren't new members voted on independently? It's not a package deal as far as I understand. You don't vote on ND+UConn. You vote on Notre Dame, and then you vote on UConn. Now wouldn't it be conceivable they could all vote "yes" on ND then "no" on UConn? Just because ND says "we want in," I'm not sure the Dukes, NCs, MDs, etc can say to the FSUs and BCUs "we delivered ND, now vote for UConn too."

In short, while we might not be considered for ACC membership w/o a commitment by ND, ND isn't our ticket "into" the ACC. They're our ticket to serious consideration. UConn will have to be its own ticket. Even if ND were to commit to the ACC, nothing as far as UConn goes is foregone.
It would be between Uconn and Rutgers if ND joined the ACC. One of the ironic things about realignment is how fast allies can become enimies and enimies allies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ACC North: BC, UConn, SU, Pitt, RU, UMD, UVA, VT
ACC South: Duke, Wake, UNC, NCST, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami

-great baseball/lax/soccer conf
-best bball conf
-5 out of 10 years the acc ship game is vt vs fsu
-its a crapy fball conf. it has a top heavy and bottom ugly feel to it.

im ok with it. its gets us a seat at the big boy table #1 which is most important at this point. its the best possible home for all sports not bball/fball. it has local rivals that will fill seats. bball between be rivals and md/duke/unc will be fine. fball is interesting. the south is more top heavy with fsu/clemson/gt beating up tb road. the north has vt then a bunch of up and down programs. we can over time continue to build and really give ourselves a shot to be one heck of a program. fingers crossed a top 30 program consistently 5 to 10 years from now. recruiting wise i think ppl are missing the boat here. in fball its not going to make a big difference for us. we are competiting agaisnt the same teams now and all it does is put us on a level playing field. winning and building the program will what makes our recruiting better. solid $ which is fine for us. southern recruiting is a small small factor but remember the even playing field.

if the BIG Televen picked up ruty/uconn/nd/kansas or mizzu, thats a interesting sell also. thats a fball first conf that will give us the opportunity not only at the big boy table, but to play some heavy weights on a regular basis and really improve our program. our recruitng would actually pick up some becuase the conf is rated better than the acc. bball would be ok, it would be 2nd or 3rd best most years. mich st/michigan and some other good programs there would make us feel ight, but we wouldn't pack our home court/fields becuase of the non rivals/interest in most teams. other sports in that conf are nothing special to the BE now or future acc. fball does drive the bus and the future could be huge if we went here...huge $ which is better than acc, more traveling though.

the B12 is probally my 3rd place pick. or w/e the cluster fucck of school that group together from b12/mwc/cusa/etc. this conf would have fball driving the bus but back stabbers the second they get a chance elsewhere. no matter how this conf is built, from day one the fball is better than the acc.other sports and travel are questionable. hows the $? etc$ this is clearly the 3rd place of the choices.

i'm torn as to what is actually best for uconn. its truly hard to figure out. each opportunity has its +'s and -'s. maybe the acc has the most +'s but it also has the worst fball option which is what drives the bus in the end. its tough, i can only imagine what a crappy situation susan has just walked into here. ever pick up a dollar bill that has god crossed out and says "JC" instead written? i have, it stands for Jim Calhoun, not . in susan and jim i trust! i guess this is my look at it, acc wins imo for us.
acc-worst of 4 conf fball, $ is a ? right now but it will be good to great, the rest its the best conf for us.
BIG-fball all day, great $, everything else is tough.
b12ish-a mess

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
ACC North: BC, UConn, SU, Pitt, RU, UMD, UVA, VT
ACC South: Duke, Wake, UNC, NCST, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami

-great baseball/lax/soccer conf
-best bball conf
-5 out of 10 years the acc ship game is vt vs fsu
-its a crapy fball conf. it has a top heavy and bottom ugly feel to it.

im ok with it. its gets us a seat at the big boy table #1 which is most important at this point. its the best possible home for all sports not bball/fball. it has local rivals that will fill seats. bball between be rivals and md/duke/unc will be fine. fball is interesting. the south is more top heavy with fsu/clemson/gt beating up tb road. the north has vt then a bunch of up and down programs. we can over time continue to build and really give ourselves a shot to be one heck of a program. fingers crossed a top 30 program consistently 5 to 10 years from now. recruiting wise i think ppl are missing the boat here. in fball its not going to make a big difference for us. we are competiting agaisnt the same teams now and all it does is put us on a level playing field. winning and building the program will what makes our recruiting better. solid $ which is fine for us. southern recruiting is a small small factor but remember the even playing field.

if the BIG Televen picked up ruty/uconn/nd/kansas or mizzu, thats a interesting sell also. thats a fball first conf that will give us the opportunity not only at the big boy table, but to play some heavy weights on a regular basis and really improve our program. our recruitng would actually pick up some becuase the conf is rated better than the acc. bball would be ok, it would be 2nd or 3rd best most years. mich st/michigan and some other good programs there would make us feel ight, but we wouldn't pack our home court/fields becuase of the non rivals/interest in most teams. other sports in that conf are nothing special to the BE now or future acc. fball does drive the bus and the future could be huge if we went here...huge $ which is better than acc, more traveling though.

the B12 is probally my 3rd place pick. or w/e the cluster fucck of school that group together from b12/mwc/cusa/etc. this conf would have fball driving the bus but back stabbers the second they get a chance elsewhere. no matter how this conf is built, from day one the fball is better than the acc.other sports and travel are questionable. hows the $? etc$ this is clearly the 3rd place of the choices.

i'm torn as to what is actually best for uconn. its truly hard to figure out. each opportunity has its +'s and -'s. maybe the acc has the most +'s but it also has the worst fball option which is what drives the bus in the end. its tough, i can only imagine what a crappy situation susan has just walked into here. ever pick up a dollar bill that has god crossed out and says "JC" instead written? i have, it stands for Jim Calhoun, not . in susan and jim i trust! i guess this is my look at it, acc wins imo for us.
acc-worst of 4 conf fball, $ is a ? right now but it will be good to great, the rest its the best conf for us.
BIG-fball all day, great $, everything else is tough.
b12ish-a mess
This pretty much summarizes everything.

Reaction Score
I really don't buy that we'd have huge potential in the B1G. First, the invite isn't coming. Second, we're just not good enough to compete in the B1G. If anything, I'd be concerned that we'd be pushed further to the bottom and become more of a Duke/Vanderbilt/Wake/Northwestern of the conference. I agree the potential upside may be bigger, though I see the odds of us achieving that as slim to none, whereas if we were in the ACC, we'd have a much greater shot at moving to the top eventually.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Maryland plays nice, you potentially have two perfect geographic divisions in the ACC. This makes so much sense, in so many ways - travel, TV Markets, rivalries, academics, etc. I guess its all about splitting the pie 16 ways vs 14. ESPN would have to cough-up an extra 35 Million per year for RU and UConn, not sure if that makes sense for them.
Now that where ESPN could help us if they were so inclined.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If Maryland plays nice, you potentially have two perfect geographic divisions in the ACC. This makes so much sense, in so many ways - travel, TV Markets, rivalries, academics, etc. I guess its all about splitting the pie 16 ways vs 14. ESPN would have to cough-up an extra 35 Million per year for RU and UConn, not sure if that makes sense for them.

Now that where ESPN could help us if they were so inclined.

lets say ruty/uconn are worth 12-15mil a year with the nj and nh/hart mks and both with a piece of nyc. so on a high end thats 30 of 35mil which would be the target $ wise. don't you then think with the acc having bc/uconn/cuse/pitt/ruty/md and tb road that they say, we will give u the 35mil. but starting in 2015 you have to put your ACCt in MSG and we get every game of it. you outbid the BE catholic bballl league and any1 else, MSG/Dolan will jump at it. like our old BE setup, espn makes bank off that week. this acc would do just as well tv wise with that. there is your extra couple mil if you do a 16-8-4-2.

Reaction Score
lets say ruty/uconn are worth 12-15mil a year with the nj and nh/hart mks and both with a piece of nyc. so on a high end thats 30 of 35mil which would be the target $ wise. don't you then think with the acc having bc/uconn/cuse/pitt/ruty/md and tb road that they say, we will give u the 35mil. but starting in 2015 you have to put your ACCt in MSG and we get every game of it. you outbid the BE catholic bballl league and any1 else, MSG/Dolan will jump at it. like our old BE setup, espn makes bank off that week. this acc would do just as well tv wise with that. there is your extra couple mil if you do a 16-8-4-2.

The ACC is not abandoning Greensborough, permanently, for their tourney.

Reaction Score
As much as that would make no sense I think BC is that spiteful that they would lobby for it and try to convince everyone that they already deliver the New England market.
If the ACC would believe bcu can deliver the NE market, after 6-7 years of bcu not delivering the NE market, then they have burried their heads in the sand.
I also believe that basketball success will factor more with ACC teams than teams of other conferences. After all the ACC is still stronger in Hoops than FB.
Of course look how successful bcu's hoops program is. I say UConn's eventual admission to the ACC will elevate bcu's NE profile more than it hurts it. Petty jealousy, and revenge factors, cloud bcu's vision (or lack of)

Reaction Score
Big 10 remains our best landing spot. I still believe that's what will happen.
1. We add eastern eyeballs for Big 10 network.
2. We instantly improve their BBall on several levels.
3. We benefit from the football centric nature of the conf and would commit to needed stadium etc. upgrades. Whereas it would be tough to get the powers to spend on upgrading for opponents like USF, Louisville, and UCF/Houston, its a lot easier for them to salivate over Nebraska, Ohio St, and Michigan. We have excellent potential to become a power in Football.
4. We are moving toward AAU status and investment in research is being stressed by Herbst, as is raising endowment and setting our sights on the big boys like the other big land grants.
5. It's what Herbst wants. She's not stopping in her quest to make sure we land softly. I say B10---maybe ACC---but ultimately, I'm not worried about our future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand: All the rumors say if ND joins, we'll be the tag along. However, aren't new members voted on independently? It's not a package deal as far as I understand. You don't vote on ND+UConn. You vote on Notre Dame, and then you vote on UConn. Now wouldn't it be conceivable they could all vote "yes" on ND then "no" on UConn? Just because ND says "we want in," I'm not sure the Dukes, NCs, MDs, etc can say to the FSUs and BCUs "we delivered ND, now vote for UConn too."

In short, while we might not be considered for ACC membership w/o a commitment by ND, ND isn't our ticket "into" the ACC. They're our ticket to serious consideration. UConn will have to be its own ticket. Even if ND were to commit to the ACC, nothing as far as UConn goes is foregone.

Why does anything think that we wouldn't have the votes? I think the votes are there right now. I just don't think the votes are there to go to 16 without ND. As soon as you go to 16, that's it. You're done. That means ND is foreclosed as an option. I don't think they're willing to shut that door now. So they hold at 14.

Reaction Score
Big 10 remains our best landing spot. I still believe that's what will happen.
1. We add eastern eyeballs for Big 10 network.
2. We instantly improve their BBall on several levels.
3. We benefit from the football centric nature of the conf and would commit to needed stadium etc. upgrades. Whereas it would be tough to get the powers to spend on upgrading for opponents like USF, Louisville, and UCF/Houston, its a lot easier for them to salivate over Nebraska, Ohio St, and Michigan. We have excellent potential to become a power in Football.
4. We are moving toward AAU status and investment in research is being stressed by Herbst, as is raising endowment and setting our sights on the big boys like the other big land grants.
5. It's what Herbst wants. She's not stopping in her quest to make sure we land softly. I say B10---maybe ACC---but ultimately, I'm not worried about our future.
Get your head out of the sand, it's not happening. Our football team is not good enough.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I understand that Uconn is much better known for and has had a lot more success as a BB program. But it should be clear to anyone who bothers to look, that there is a clear and strong commitment to succeed in all sports including FB. While we may never be Texas or Alabama, because of size and recruiting disadvantages, we will surely be better over the long term than many of the teams in the other conferences. I mean, does anyone think we couldn't beat these teams in conference?

ACC: Wake, MD, NCS, BCU, GT, Duke, UVA, UNC, Cuse, Pitt
B1G: Ill, Ind, Minn, Nw, Purdue
B12: BU, ISU, KU, KSU
SEC: UK, Ole Miss, Msu, SC, VI
Ind: ND ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I understand that Uconn is much better known for and has had a lot more success as a BB program. But it should be clear to anyone who bothers to look, that there is a clear and strong commitment to succeed in all sports including FB. While we may never be Texas or Alabama, because of size and recruiting disadvantages, we will surely be better over the long term than many of the teams in the other conferences. I mean, does anyone think we couldn't beat these teams in conference?

In football? I'd suggest that several of those teams have had pretty darned good football teams, if not consistently so. Illinois, Minn, Purdue, GT, UVA, UNC, KSU, Miss St., Ole Miss and SC. ND has struggled, but has had talent. Maybe a third of the listed schools are routinely weak. The others have had success. Historically, a lot more success than we've had. The fact that Drew Brees went to Purdue and Phillip Rivers to NCST tends to help their profile. Calvin Johnson doesn't hurt GT. ND is ND. Even KU, which is awful right now, won an Orange Bowl recently.

Reaction Score

Out of the above schools, the ones I think we definitely <-- keyword could beat consistently - as in if we played every year, we win more than 50% of the time:
ACC - Wake, Duke, UVA, SU
B1G - NW, IU, MN
B12 - BU
SEC - VU
Pac - Wazzu, OSU

Teams we beat somewhere around or a bit below 50% of the team:
ACC - MD, NCSU, BC, GT, Pitt
B1G - Ill, Purdue
B12 - ISU, KU, KSU
SEC - Ole Miss, MSU
Pac - UW, UA, UCLA
I'm leaving Stanford out on purpose because it remains to be seen where their program will go post-Luck, if they return to their old self, they get put in the definitely category.

The onclusion, the only programs we can stake any claim to being REALLY better than are those in the top category. The ones below we're either on par with or are just behind.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of Duke people that don't want UConn in the ACC. Some of their fans on other boards have said that UConn would never be in the ACC.

Theres a small part of me that believes Duke is using Coach K politically to make it seem like it wants UConn in the ACC but in reality I think Duke is trying to keep UConn out.

I heard that their AD is actually creating a "text to vote" app so that the goons on their message boards can be their voice, American Idol style.

Reaction Score
I heard that their AD is actually creating a "text to vote" app so that the goons on their message boards can be their voice, American Idol style.

If thats the case then were never getting in the ACC unless Paula Abdul is judging.....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I wasn't talking about this year or the other teams best years. Nor was I implying that we would win the lions share of the games against all of the those teams. Simply, that our program is in that neighborhood right now and could be above all these schools with some stability and another 10 years. The impression that Uconn couldn't compete in these conferences doesn't jive with the history of this athletic department.

These are not the powerhouses, they play run of the mill D1 football. Something the BE does very well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I wasn't talking about this year or the other teams best years. Nor was I implying that we would win the lions share of the games against all of the those teams. Simply, that our program is in that neighborhood right now and could be above all these schools with some stability and another 10 years. The impression that Uconn couldn't compete in these conferences doesn't jive with the history of this athletic department.

These are not the powerhouses, they play run of the mill D1 football. Something the BE does very well.

I think UConn can be middle of the pack over time in the Big Ten and maybe Big XII. In the ACC we'd probably be better than that. I don't see UConn becoming a power year in and year out. I certainly think UConn can get to bowl games, and be a solid program. Like most teams, we'll hit on recruits better now and then, and be very good in the up years. Year to year, 2/3 of the top 25 turns over from ranked to unranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom