Clingan update 1/1/24 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Clingan update 1/1/24

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
You cannot go through a strength and conditioning program without lifting. I think everyone thinks that if you lift weights you bulk up. These guys do higher reps with less weight. BB lifting programs are much different than football weight lifting programs. You really have to consider the person. BB players are usually the tallest athletes and they can have slighter frames so you should not expect DC to look like a larger version of a body builder because that is not why he is lifting.

Reaction Score
Difference here might also be what we count as "lifting." A lot of guys aren't going to be doing big, heavy lifts during the season. More accessory/mobility/recovery work. I really doubt there are but a handful--if that--of players who aren't in the gym at all during the season.

In college, we never deadlifted or did heavy back squats during the season, but we would do plenty of power cleans, goblet squats w/ a heel lift, etc.
Yeah exactly. Most guys will be banged up in some way throughout the course of a season and will be doing PT style lifts and resistance training.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Difference here might also be what we count as "lifting." A lot of guys aren't going to be doing big, heavy lifts during the season. More accessory/mobility/recovery work. I really doubt there are but a handful--if that--of players who aren't in the gym at all during the season.

In college, we never deadlifted or did heavy back squats during the season, but we would do plenty of power cleans, goblet squats w/ a heel lift, etc.
In one article I read we had the weights on the floor so that they could get their shots off after having lifted

Reaction Score
You cannot go through a strength and conditioning program without lifting. I think everyone thinks that if you lift weights you bulk up. These guys do higher reps with less weight. BB lifting programs are much different than football weight lifting programs. You really have to consider the person. BB players are usually the tallest athletes and they can have slighter frames so you should not expect DC to look like a larger version of a body builder because that is not why he is lifting.

Bulk comes from diet. I always find it funny when folks (usually women) talk about "not wanting to bulk" if they touch a 10lb dumb bell or squat the bar. It is SO HARD to gain significant muscle mass. Natty body builders work at it for years to show moderate growth. I've lifted 3x or more a week for 20 years and can't gain more than a couple pounds unless I go hard on calories and protein.

Basketball players definitely lift heavy though, particularly in the off-season. If you want to get strong, you need to lift heavy. There's no way around it.

College basketball programs aren't going to be having guys do olympic lifts or anything. Even deadlifts are off the table in many programs. But big compound movements like squats, cleans, trap bar deadlifts, presses, etc. are a part of the game.

Reaction Score
Basketball is tricky. You use your very largest muscles to run down the court. Then you use some of your smallest muscles to shoot the ball. That's why conditioning is so important in basketball. Fatigue will quickly affect the muscles of the wrist, hand and fingers.

I was told by an elite trainer that basketball has a lot in common with combat. Soldiers often have to run carrying heavy packs then settle and immediately be still enough use their eyes and fingers in unison. It actually makes sense when you think about it.

Reaction Score
Bulk comes from diet. I always find it funny when folks (usually women) talk about "not wanting to bulk" if they touch a 10lb dumb bell or squat the bar. It is SO HARD to gain significant muscle mass. Natty body builders work at it for years to show moderate growth. I've lifted 3x or more a week for 20 years and can't gain more than a couple pounds unless I go hard on calories and protein.

Basketball players definitely lift heavy though, particularly in the off-season. If you want to get strong, you need to lift heavy. There's no way around it.

College basketball programs aren't going to be having guys do olympic lifts or anything. Even deadlifts are off the table in many programs. But big compound movements like squats, cleans, trap bar deadlifts, presses, etc. are a part of the game.
You have to eat way more. Most people who say they can't gain weight/muscle simply aren't eating enough. People make it way more complicated than it is. No complicated movements, no fancy trainers, no gimmicky machines, no mass builders/protein shakes...just do the lifts which have been around forever...Bench press, overhead press, squats, deadlifts, rows, curls, pushdowns and eat a lot...

Eat a lot of protein along with carbs and fats and lift heavy and you get bigger. I've been lifting most of my life and I always see people who do the same exact exercises every time over the years and they always move the same amount of weight with the same reps. They never get results. I was guilty of this when I was younger. They're also probably working out on an empty stomach or had a bowl of cereal before working out. You should eat a couple of meals even before you step foot in the gym if you want to put on weight and muscle.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
That is simply not true anymore. A couple or a few guys who don't lift? Yeah sure, of course.... there's head cases in all walks of life. You're thinking about an era where players were smoking a pack a day too.

The overwhelming majority of D1 and professional players lift, and lift a lot. We're talking 99.9% here. Even D3 players are required to lift.
Vlad the inhaler...

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
You have to eat way more. Most people who say they can't gain weight/muscle simply aren't eating enough. People make it way more complicated than it is. No complicated movements, no fancy trainers, no gimmicky machines, no mass builders/protein shakes...just do the lifts which have been around forever...Bench press, overhead press, squats, deadlifts, rows, curls, pushdowns and eat a lot...

Eat a lot of protein along with carbs and fats and lift heavy and you get bigger. I've been lifting most of my life and I always see people who do the same exact exercises every time over the years and they always move the same amount of weight with the same reps. They never get results. I was guilty of this when I was younger. They're also probably working out on an empty stomach or had a bowl of cereal before working out. You should eat a couple of meals even before you step foot in the gym if you want to put on weight and muscle.
lifting weights is the easy part. the hard part is eating enough and getting enough sleep.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I mean, I was thinking 2-3 out of 12-13 was a pretty significant number, but maybe I’m exaggerating. I’m more pushing back against the idea that “all” players lift weights, when I know some don’t, especially during the season.
Which 2 or 3 guys on our roster do you think aren’t in the weight room? You’re so wrong it’s making my head spin. This is the worst take I’ve seen on the boneyard which is really saying a lot. Everyone including walk-ons has required time in the weight room with the S&C staff. They can’t choose to opt out of it.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
“Many don’t lift during the season” yes they absolutely all do. You would be right to say that a majority of the bulking comes in the off season, but it takes near daily lifting to maintain strength. I don’t know how you look at anyone on a D1 basketball team and think “yup that’s a body built by cardio only”

Also “I wonder if Donavan lifts” like…what? He’s huge. Do you know how strong you have to be to be that tall and have limbs that long that still have bulky muscle definition?

Also,

85748D1F-3A8C-4666-8CEC-6F19F9E5FC4B.jpeg

Reaction Score

I'm horrible about eating enough. When I was boxing and had to regain weight after a cut I would feel like a glutton ready to pop I had to eat so much. I had a worse time gaining back weight than I did losing it.

Reaction Score
Which 2 or 3 guys on our roster do you think aren’t in the weight room? You’re so wrong it’s making my head spin. This is the worst take I’ve seen on the boneyard which is really saying a lot. Everyone including walk-ons has required time in the weight room with the S&C staff. They can’t choose to opt out of it.

I'm sure some entitled 5* twerp at UK has refused to go to the weight room, but there is no way with our culture that anyone is skipping time with Gavin.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Also “I wonder if Donavan lifts” like…what? He’s huge. Do you know how strong you have to be to be that tall and have limbs that long that still have bulky muscle definition?

Exactly. Also with limbs that long does one realize how long it would take for him to dramatically increase say his bench press? That's a lot of moving parts and small stabilizing muscles that need to get together to seriously increase weight quickly. I think people get confused with the amount of bulk you see on smaller, shorter limbed people. It is much easier to move weight with compact limbs which lends itself to adding bulk quickly.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I'm sure some entitled 5* twerp at UK has refused to go to the weight room, but there is no way with our culture that anyone is skipping time with Gavin.
There is no 5* on any team in the country who is not lifting. Do you guys have any idea how strong you have to be to play D1 ball?

Reaction Score

Nothing used to drive me crazier than hearing some moron at the gym complaining that they didn't want to "get too big" by lifting heavy. Like "Oh I woke up this morning yoked as hell and I just wanted to get 'toned.'"

Reaction Score
There is no 5* on any team in the country who is not lifting. Do you guys have any idea how strong you have to be to play D1 ball?

Lol, you're just being purposefully obtuse now. But I get your general point. Of course D1 basketball players lift. Would I be surprised if some diva refused during the season? Nope.

To answer your question: yes.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Lol, you're just being purposefully obtuse now. But I get your general point. Of course D1 basketball players lift. Would I be surprised if some diva refused during the season? Nope.

To answer your question: yes.
I don’t think I’m the one being obtuse here. I can guarantee you that there is no one on Kentucky who has the latitude to skip out on their S&C program.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Also with limbs that long does one realize how long it would take for him to dramatically increase say his bench press? That's a lot of moving parts and small stabilizing muscles that need to get together to seriously increase weight quickly. I think people get confused with the amount of bulk you see on smaller, shorter limbed people. It is much easier to move weight with compact limbs which lends itself to adding bulk quickly.
Is that why I don’t see any 7 ft bodybuilders or Olympic strongmen?:cool:

Reaction Score
lifting weights is the easy part. the hard part is eating enough and getting enough sleep.
Agree. Most people (me included) don’t get enough protein. Minimum intake should be .8g /lb of body weight for the avg person. And probably closer to 1 or 1.2 for an athlete. So DC at 265 needs 265 g or protein. Which is really hard to do 50g at a time. That’s 5.5 high protein meals a day!

Reaction Score
Is that why I don’t see any 7 ft bodybuilders or Olympic strongmen?:cool:

Brian Shaw and Halfthor ha e gotta be up there in height. Maybe 6'8 or 6'9. They're .000001% genetic freaks though.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Agree. Most people (me included) don’t get enough protein. Minimum intake should be .8g /lb of body weight for the avg person. And probably closer to 1 or 1.2 for an athlete. So DC at 265 needs 265 g or protein. Which is really hard to do 50g at a time. That’s 5.5 high protein meals a day!
Im shooting for 200g a day and it’s a struggle! I would have never thought eating a lot (albeit relatively healthy) could be so difficult. But then again the gains are worth it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom