Clingan impact on defense demonstrated! | The Boneyard

Clingan impact on defense demonstrated!

Reaction Score
Clingan impact on both offense and defense has been discussed ad nauseam. Hurley mentioned in media that Donovan is one of the most impactful player if not the most impacted in the country. But seeing is believing. For our casual fans, we need the evidence and proof.

Here is a clip showing how many shots he deterred or altered in just one possession in Nova game. He is the force to be reckoned with whenever he is on the court.

Hope this should remove any doubts about DC’s impact on the team. Resistance is futile!

Reaction Score
Clingan impact on both offense and defense has been discussed ad nauseam. Hurley mentioned in media that Donovan is one of the most impactful player if not the most impacted in the country. But seeing is believing. For our casual fans, we need the evidence and proof.

Here is a clip showing how many shots he deterred or altered in just one possession in Nova game. He is the force to be reckoned with whenever he is on the court.

Hope this should remove any doubts about DC’s impact on the team. Resistance is futile!

DC’s drop coverage was dominant against Nova. He just shut down their pick and roll game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

And he kind of looks gassed and flat footed in the second one.

Reaction Score
Goodman noted this on Fanata's podcast that he was doubled over with his hands on his knees at one point.

God help the other team when he become 100% Clingan.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Saw this on X. There were a couple of more videos attached. Clingan's intimidaton factor is really off the charts.

He has what they call The Thabeet stat. It doesn't show up in the stat line, but it's just as important

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This casual fan did not need this evidence. I observed the collective gas release from the Nova players and fans when they observed ClingKong at the scorers table.

Sad that we have some fans less astute than Nova fans.

Reaction Score
Can anyone explain why Neptune took Dixon out for most of the time Clingan was in (especially in the first half). One would think that Dixon's ability to shoot would have opened up the lane a little more (it did in the 2nd). Clingan was able to just park in the pain and not respect Ware's shotting at all. - Maybe to avoid Dixon foul trouble? I thought just bad coaching by him. I think Ware played maybe 10 min, almost all of them vs Clingan not Sampson.

Reaction Score
At the end of the first half he looked like was going to collapse. His face was all red and he was breathing hard. He surely worked his butt off.

With the week off, DC needs to start on Sunday. If he’s limited to 20 or slightly more minutes, it’s easier to get them in without him tiring after playing 5 or 6 consecutive minutes if he starts, rather than sitting for the first 5 minutes of each half which means he then needs to play 20 out of 30 rather than 20 out of 40.

Reaction Score
With the week off, DC needs to start on Sunday. If he’s limited to 20 or slightly more minutes, it’s easier to get them in without him tiring after playing 5 or 6 consecutive minutes if he starts, rather than sitting for the first 5 minutes of each half which means he then needs to play 20 out of 30 rather than 20 out of 40.
I actually have no problem starting Johnson the remainder of the year. Much like Tyler Olander years ago, let Johnson start the game and allow the refs to set the tempo of the calls before bringing in Donovan.

This accomplished a few things, 1) it avoids foul trouble for DC, 2) it allows the defense to hard hedge and switch more often with Johnson to start the game and 3) DC comes in fresh against the opposing big.

BTW... I don't know if this would be a hard sell for DC but that's my two cents all the while keeping in mind that DC will be out there when it matters most regardless.

Reaction Score
Can anyone explain why Neptune took Dixon out for most of the time Clingan was in (especially in the first half). One would think that Dixon's ability to shoot would have opened up the lane a little more (it did in the 2nd). Clingan was able to just park in the pain and not respect Ware's shotting at all. - Maybe to avoid Dixon foul trouble? I thought just bad coaching by him. I think Ware played maybe 10 min, almost all of them vs Clingan not Sampson.
Right. These clips are with Ware in. Clingan was not able to control the paint when Dixon was out there. The single biggest reason Nova lost is that Neptune took out Dixon for that stretch in the 2nd half. They were up 4 when Dixon went out, he was out for less than 2 minutes, and when he came back in we were up 6. Dixon played 37 min against UNC and Creighton. Had to play the whole 2nd half for them considering how bad Ware was and how bad their offense looked with him in the first half.

Reaction Score
Right. These clips are with Ware in. Clingan was not able to control the paint when Dixon was out there. The single biggest reason Nova lost is that Neptune took out Dixon for that stretch in the 2nd half. They were up 4 when Dixon went out, he was out for less than 2 minutes, and when he came back in we were up 6. Dixon played 37 min against UNC and Creighton. Had to play the whole 2nd half for them considering how bad Ware was and how bad their offense looked with him in the first half.

Dixon always scares me the most on that team. Neptune is no Jay Wright!

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I noticed this exact same thing and didn't want to say anything during the game thinking that Kyle Neptune might hear me and never take Dixon out. The Nova fans on the SB Nation board noticed this, too. Ware poses no threat whatsoever to score regardless of being on the perimeter or near the basket or mid range.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We all appreciate how much Donovan impacts the game with his rim protection. But I think we were fortunate to play Creighton and Nova with him at less than 100%, because Samson is a tougher matchup for Dixon and Kalk, they may score on him inside, but that's not really what makes them so challenging to play against. Next time vs Nova, I wouldn't even mind going twin towers for a bit. That would take away almost everything they like to do.

By the way, the difficulty DC has staying with perimeter shooting bigs and recovering is why I'm not convinced he's really going to go in the top of the first round (along with offensive concerns). That's more critical in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Am I reading this correctly?
Every person in the world should hope their significant other loves them as much as this guy loves Samson Johnson. It's never ending gaslighting.

Reaction Score
Am I reading this correctly?

Short answer: Samson is not a tougher matchup for anyone, despite how well he defended Dixon a few days ago. That's all.
I was hoping he was done with this but clearly he's not. That's an all-timer post from him, lolz.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kalk averages half a three point make per game on 28% shooting and he doesn't take any shots inside the three point line outside of the lane.
Samson defends the perimeter better. It's inarguable, just as it is that DC defends the paint better. If that doesn't matter because Kalk doesn't shoot much, then fine. It certainly doesn't matter against Soriano. My only point was, if DC is unavailable, I would rather it be against 5s that shoot from outside. I'd rather he wasn't out at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom