Clingan going to work this summer! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Clingan going to work this summer!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can one really go "under" when your defender is 6 inches shorter than you most nights?

He's going to have great opportunities this summer like Jordan did last summer, and we saw the jump he made. Should be getting tons of reps with NBA guys.

If I'm Donovan I'm working on
  • Limited 3 ball. Maybe just a basic catch and shoot at the top of the key like Adama had. Nothing fancy, just show he has it in the bag for the draft and to open up the floor a hair for those Castle/Newton/Karaban drives.
  • FT shooting
  • Touch at the rim. When he isn't dunking, his touch isn't great. If he's going to make the jump to a 12-15ppg scorer or more, the difference will be in the ability to make layups (and FTs).
  • S&C (everyone can improve)
  • Get in the film room and do a deep dive into where the foul issues were.
Spot on. People were calling for more minutes, but I don't think he could have played 25 mpg last year at the intensity level needed. Needs to improve S&C. We know he can because he made a huge leap from HS. Adama did as well.

Touch and patience at the rim, and a baby hook would be unstoppable. Later in the season he was often just throwing the ball at the glass. I think he got a little rattled by guys with size defending him and sped things up. It's understandable, he really didn't face that in HS. I'm confident that experience will help, and Singare is a good, different practice partner for him.

Curious what the film room shows. He guarded bigs inside very effectively, didn't foul often. He fouled slashers and guards attacking the rim a lot. He chases them going for the block. Sometimes gets it, but also gets them. Needs to just trust his height and reach. If they make a very difficult shot over you, that's fine. Forcing low percentage shots is the goal. Can't block everything.

Reaction Score
Can one really go "under" when your defender is 6 inches shorter than you most nights?

He's going to have great opportunities this summer like Jordan did last summer, and we saw the jump he made. Should be getting tons of reps with NBA guys.

• Limited 3 ball. Maybe just a basic catch and shoot at the top of the key like Adama had. Nothing fancy, just show he has it in the bag for the draft and to open up the floor a hair for those Castle/Newton/Karaban drives.
Yup. Sanogo and Walker Kessler each took about 50 3's, and even though Kessler didn't hit them, that was enough for teams to look at the form and decide it's a possibility to go along with his rim protection. But can't take too many, because we need him by the rim to be an oreb monster.

Reaction Score
Spot on. People were calling for more minutes, but I don't think he could have played 25 mpg last year at the intensity level needed. Needs to improve S&C. We know he can because he made a huge leap from HS. Adama did as well.

Touch and patience at the rim, and a baby hook would be unstoppable. Later in the season he was often just throwing the ball at the glass. I think he got a little rattled by guys with size defending him and sped things up. It's understandable, he really didn't face that in HS. I'm confident that experience will help, and Singare is a good, different practice partner for him.

Curious what the film room shows. He guarded bigs inside very effectively, didn't foul often. He fouled slashers and guards attacking the rim a lot. He chases them going for the block. Sometimes gets it, but also gets them. Needs to just trust his height and reach. If they make a very difficult shot over you, that's fine. Forcing low percentage shots is the goal. Can't block everything.
I think when your starting center is Adama, the backup center can risk some foul trouble and be a little more aggressive going for blocks. DC altered A LOT of shots and that doesn’t show up in the stats.

Reaction Score
Is there a known single season dunks record for a uconn player? Donovan should smash it next season

Reaction Score
You can speculate any way you want but I trust Hurley if he said Donovan has green light to shoot 3s next season, he must have seen enough in practice that Donovan has the potential to develop a reliable shot beyond the arc.

With his work ethics and drive, it’s not a stretch to say ( color me biased after all I bought Clingan T shirt) that he may be one of best big men in the history of college basketball and top 5 lottery pick when it’s all said and done.

Reaction Score
You can speculate any way you want but I trust Hurley if he said Donovan has green light to shoot 3s next season, he must have seen enough in practice that Donovan has the potential to develop a reliable shot beyond the arc.

With his work ethics and drive, it’s not a stretch to say ( color me biased after all I bought Clingan T shirt) that he may be one of best big men in the history of college basketball and top 5 lottery pick when it’s all said and done.

If DC uses the same discretion that Sanogo did, it should be fine. Done right it should open up spacing on the offensive end. The key is knowing when to take them and not getting baited into taking them.

Reaction Score
Our best big man and player Adama Sanogo, declares for the draft and is unlikely to return, and not one poster here is freaking out or seems concerned about next season.

I wonder why?
Like the song says, you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.

Reaction Score
Our best big man and player Adama Sanogo, declares for the draft and is unlikely to return, and not one poster here is freaking out or seems concerned about next season.

I wonder why?
He's the prominent reason for number 5. As valuable if not more than Oakafor. Clingan, different,
was and will be great but we don't have another Sanogo walking thru that door. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
He's the prominent reason for number 5. As valuable if not more than Oakafor. Clingan, different,
was and will be great but we don't have another Sanogo walking thru that door. Just my opinion.
Screenshot_20230426-201346_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230426-201358_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
I think his free throw issues are much more related to his sporadic playing time and conditioning than form. Kinda like relief pitchers and accuracy - if you aren't getting shots us and in the flow, shooting a free throw cold can be tough. I bet with higher confidence and more consistent minutes he'll be in the 70s next year. Just like adama from freshman to sophomore

Reaction Score
I'll ask Karaban what he thinks of Clingan shooting threes next year.
My guess is he would reply, "if I am doubled I'll get him the ball, should he be I know he will kick it back to me or the open teammate.;)

I wonder why?
Just a few here, nobody freaking out because in Hurley we trust. Up to eight players moving on and a couple testing the NBA waters that may stay on board. It's the new world order of college ball. Don't loose any sleep over it. :)
Dan also missed a call from the president... LOL

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score

• FT shooting
  • Touch at the rim. When he isn't dunking, his touch isn't great. If he's going to make the jump to a 12-15ppg scorer or more, the difference will be in the ability to make layups (and FTs).
  • S&C (everyone can improve)
  • Get in the film room and do a deep dive into where the foul issues were.

Minor quibble. Under the assumption he is getting 25-28 minutes a night, he should be at 12-14 easily. IMO, if he wants to get to 18+ then touch at the rim and FTs is where he will need to improve. He dunks it enough and has good enough touch right now to get to 12-14.

Reaction Score
So you’re agreeing that Sanogo was as valuable to us and this title as Oakafor was to his championship team, right?
I was pointing out to you his name is Emeka Okafor and reminding you how great he was.

Apparently it didn't sink in for you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom