Clingan - Front page WSJ this morning | The Boneyard

Clingan - Front page WSJ this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really a bitch that UConn coaches have to deal with other teams trying to poach our players even before the season plays itself out. The Georgetown article a couple weeks ago that described their in season efforts to approach players on other teams through third parties is evidently the current way things are done but is so sleazy. If Cooley has anything to do with our players this year, I hope we shxt all over him.

Reaction Score
The announcer yesterday who said Clingan is "off balance" too much really ticked me off. It happened right after he was led under the backboard by a lob pass and just missed a shot other guys would never have attempted. He proceeded to make similar shots during the game off of passes and rebounds while being "off balance" with guys shoving him in the back. I'll take a dozen off balance guys just like him on my team.

Reaction Score
The announcer yesterday who said Clingan is "off balance" too much really ticked me off. It happened right after he was led under the backboard by a lob pass and just missed a shot other guys would never have attempted. He proceeded to make similar shots during the game off of passes and rebounds while being "off balance" with guys shoving him in the back. I'll take a dozen off balance guys just like him on my team.
Think it was Jackson and he isn't totally wrong. Clingan often catches ball too far under basket and can't go up strong. I honestly think he sets up too deep and guards still feed him. Rough start for him offensively yesterday but he realized it in interviews afterwards and had made adjustments to go up stronger and crash the boards.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Where’s the nitwit who said Clingan has the skills of a CYO fifth grader?

I say we hang him. Not for luck—for stupidity.
Heck, if we ever even tried to do that we would have to hang more than 3/4 of you toadstools.

Reaction Score
There are many golfers with perfect swings but poor results. It really does matter what's in the head and heart as Clingan often shows. One stat that doesn't show is the many drives to the hoop that result in turned away passes to the outside. How many players in college have that kind of influence on the opponent???

Reaction Score
Think it was Jackson and he isn't totally wrong. Clingan often catches ball too far under basket and can't go up strong. I honestly think he sets up too deep and guards still feed him. Rough start for him offensively yesterday but he realized it in interviews afterwards and had made adjustments to go up stronger and crash the boards.

There were a number of early possessions where Donovan was open 6 feet from the hoop with a defender behind him but we did not get him the ball. Ballhandlers just missed the second where it was there. He then did get a number of passes in awkward spots and did his best. It seemed to me we wanted to get him going early and it was just not happening. MQ defended well all game. They also were getting away with lots of grabbing our cutters.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Heck, if we ever even tried to do that we would have to hang more than 3/4 of you toadstools.

Fair point. It'd be a veritable killing field.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Just wish he’d dunk more. Misses too many in close by not dunking.
I am not making a height comparison but I remember earlier on Adama's shots inside the paint , despite his soft touch, would often just slightly miss the mark but as time progressed his FG% noticeably increased. I think we're seeing Donovan getting more and more confident as those shots are falling more for him, and his free throw percentage is up as well- and he's made reference to the fact he's been working on that, specifically.

Reaction Score
Donovan made a layup from underneath the hoop last night that looked impossible. The geometry of that was crazy and it was skill not luck. He really gets too far under at times probably because he’s pushed there ( with no call).
It wasn’t until multiple replays that I realized he somehow hit the backboard on that lay

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I feel like we better get a math nerd to weight in on this because I feel it's more like 90.35%!

Reaction Score
Sometimes then he can’t dunk without a few steps momentum. The anti-Slamson.
This. He seems to need to be in motion towards the basket or relatively alone under the basket for him to gather the ups to dunk it. He just doesn't have strong leaping ability (not that he generally needs it). Would like to see him get stronger when he goes to lay it in though, he rarely makes it when he's fouled.

Reaction Score
Really a bitch that UConn coaches have to deal with other teams trying to poach our players even before the season plays itself out. The Georgetown article a couple weeks ago that described their in season efforts to approach players on other teams through third parties is evidently the current way things are done but is so sleazy. If Cooley has anything to do with our players this year, I hope we shxt all over him.
Well that kind of crap should 100% be a violation.

Reaction Score
This. He seems to need to be in motion towards the basket or relatively alone under the basket for him to gather the ups to dunk it. He just doesn't have strong leaping ability (not that he generally needs it). Would like to see him get stronger when he goes to lay it in though, he rarely makes it when he's fouled.
Its funny - my mother is an alum and she says Clingan should have spent the entire offseason on a trampoline to learn how to really jump.

Reaction Score
Sometimes then he can’t dunk without a few steps momentum. The anti-Slamson.
He only needs about 6”. Even I had a higher vertical, and probably still do.
Edit:
Ok, looked it up and he’s 9’6” standing reach, so he needs a little more than 6”, but not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom