Clingan and Karaban | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Clingan and Karaban

Reaction Score
You have two ways to look at their minutes:

• Is this consistent with what Hurley has done here (cf. Hawkins, Bouknight, Sanogo, Jackson)?
  • Is this a response to the mass exodus last year?

My guess is that it's the former and that some of our recruits couldn't really play as much as we would have liked them to have. Other than waiting too long on Sanogo, I think he's shown that he'll play whomever he considers to be the best players.
The "Occam's Razor" interpretation is that the mass exodus last year and the minutes awarded to freshmen this year are both consistent with "if you're good enough, you'll play, even as a freshman" and that Diggins and Floyd weren't remotely good enough.

You can also add that Karaban is a clear upgrade over Akok and even Polley.

Reaction Score
(can't help myself) Even Polley?
I don't remember what your schtick was so I'm legitimately not sure if you mean
A) "Polley was amazing, it's highly premature to declare Karaban an upgrade" or
B) "Polley was obviously lacking so it doesn't take much for Karaban to be an upgrade"

Reaction Score
(can't help myself) Even Polley?
I defended Polley often. Karaban is already an upgrade. He shoots just as well or better, defends and rebounds better, and is a better passer. He'll end up a first round draft pick.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't remember what your schtick was so I'm legitimately not sure if you mean
A) "Polley was amazing, it's highly premature to declare Karaban an upgrade" or
B) "Polley was obviously lacking so it doesn't take much for Karaban to be an upgrade"
Karaban is already far better that Polley ever was. And I was a Polley backer. He just never made the leap. I guess the schtick part comes because I though that was pretty obvious.

Reaction Score
The "Occam's Razor" interpretation is that the mass exodus last year and the minutes awarded to freshmen this year are both consistent with "if you're good enough, you'll play, even as a freshman" and that Diggins and Floyd weren't remotely good enough.

You can also add that Karaban is a clear upgrade over Akok and even Polley.
Bingo. My point exactly.

Floyd ain't exactly getting a ton of minutes and tearing it up at PC. And neither is Diggins at UMass.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Clingan was always going to be hard to rate, and frankly he didn't look this good in HS even when he did play better AAU teams a few times. His improvement has just been rapid. Credit to the staff and Donovan for putting in the work. Biggest differences I see are defensive IQ and his strength and conditioning.

Karaban was criminally underrated. People were ranking him based on his athleticism and not his production. He outplayed 5-stars in AAU time and time again, but people didn't want to respect it. Production is production is production.
Didn’t Clingan have a very good showing at the USA basketball camp? That’s when I thought that he could contribute right away. I didn’t fathom that he would contribute to the level that he has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom