Citifield- ever been? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Citifield- ever been?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’ve been to Shea Stadium where I saw Mike Hampton hit a HR.

But I’ve been to Citi Field once. I was in Manhattan doing brunch one Sunday, and at about 5pm I realized my other group of friends were going to the Mets game that night. With a BAC of maybe 0.16 I tried to take public transport there but I failed miserably at that, so after meandering around lower Manhattan for 2 hours I finally called it quits and ordered an Uber.

$90 later I stumbled outside of Citi Field with a dead phone, and $25 in my pocket cash. I bargained with a scalper in the 4th inning and he took my offer, secured a ticket. Since my phone died I tried to find my friends but couldn’t. From what I remember the stadium was nice. Don’t remember much past that.

Finally in the 9th inning I found them. Then they drove me back to Stamford and said “dude figure your life out.”

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the Mets owners said "hey look, we're the Mets but at least we have great food options and a kid's zone" when they designed CitiField.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
12th bday this weekend. Thinking about Saturdays Mets/Braves game. Just interviewed Colin Cosell, Howard’s grandson, who offered to bring us up into the booth anytime we visit.

What to see at the park? -Jackie Rotunda

How to travel? Car train?

Thanks

Great place to eat see a ballgame.

Nothing to do with my anti-Yankee bias, but Citifield >>>> Yankee Stadium. The old Yankee Stadium was an institution -- the Babe played there! The new Yankee Stadium is basically a Sbarro. Citifield has a cool vibe and awesome food choices.

You will see the Rotunda; I don't think you can avoid it. (Or maybe that's just the best way to get in from the subway.)

I've never driven so I can't help you there.

Reaction Score
taking the train to citi field isn't as easy as going to yankee stadium, but it really isn't difficult at all. you just go into grand central and then take the 7 train to mets-willets point.

waaaay less stressful than driving, plus you can have a couple drinks at the ballpark (and maybe a couple more on the train!) if that is your thing.

Reaction Score
I’m a Yankees fan, but prefer the overall experience at Citi. Definitely recommend driving.

Citi Field is much nicer than Yankee stadium, also easier to get to.

Really don't care for the bleacher seats at Yankee stadium.

Not a Yankee's fan, but the fans at Yankee stadium are so much more passionate than Mets fans IMO. They are truly the 10th man.

I've experienced games at both parks and for some reason the energy level at Yankee stadium is just higher.

Reaction Score
As a Mets fan who’s been to Citi hundreds of times since it’s opened I go back and forth between driving and taking the train from CT to the 7 Line in GCS. Parking is $40 this year, and on top of gas and tolls if it’s just you and your son it may be cheaper to use mass transit. For 4 pm games like this Sat I’d def recommend it as it can be hours going there and back at that time frame - plus with the game over by 6:30 most likely you can take the 7 line back into GCS and get dinner somewhere fun for him in Manhattan afterwards and not get home too late.

As for the park, I agree with everyone else here - except the Mets HOF is gone. They took everything out of it and moved everything to various parts of the stadium to expand the big team store, so everything is still viewable, but it’s all spread throughout the park instead of one location.

CF is the best place to be with someone his age, plenty of food options there and activities. Also if you have access to any of the restaurants/bars you can always go in there for food, etc.

It’s just a nice park to walk around, etc and see a game with plenty of other options of things to do.

Reaction Score
My Citifield story: several years ago, buddy had tickets for us and our sons, so I volunteered to drive. Same time as US Open qualifier on a Saturday. Traffic was horrendous, weekend ballgame, tennis, etc.

Parking lots were full, people screaming out of their cars, as they redirect us to some makeshift lot. I didn’t really know where they were sending us, but sent us back on northbound highway. I miss the makeshift lot. I said fk I’m not doing that again and just head back home. Stopped at an Outback Steakhouse in Shelton on the way. 8 hour drive to eat a Outback steak in Shelton CT.

Go Braves!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
As a Braves fan, my favorite part of citi field is how cheap the tickets are for their annual end of season series when the Mets are out of contention.
Many years you don’t even have to wait until the end of the season for that….

Reaction Score
12th bday this weekend. Thinking about Saturdays Mets/Braves game. Just interviewed Colin Cosell, Howard’s grandson, who offered to bring us up into the booth anytime we visit.

What to see at the park? -Jackie Rotunda

How to travel? Car train?

Thanks
I’ve parked there to go to the USOpen across the tracks but never saw a game there.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
As a Mets fan who’s been to Citi hundreds of times since it’s opened I go back and forth between driving and taking the train from CT to the 7 Line in GCS. Parking is $40 this year, and on top of gas and tolls if it’s just you and your son it may be cheaper to use mass transit. For 4 pm games like this Sat I’d def recommend it as it can be hours going there and back at that time frame - plus with the game over by 6:30 most likely you can take the 7 line back into GCS and get dinner somewhere fun for him in Manhattan afterwards and not get home too late.

As for the park, I agree with everyone else here - except the Mets HOF is gone. They took everything out of it and moved everything to various parts of the stadium to expand the big team store, so everything is still viewable, but it’s all spread throughout the park instead of one location.

CF is the best place to be with someone his age, plenty of food options there and activities. Also if you have access to any of the restaurants/bars you can always go in there for food, etc.

It’s just a nice park to walk around, etc and see a game with plenty of other options of things to do.

Hmm. So drive in New Haven. Park like we did for MSG trip. Take Train to Grand Central. Then grab the #7 Mets-Willets about 25 min. And short walk? That sounds good.

Reaction Score

What about LIRR out there from Grand Central, with the East Side Access, not as easy as the 7 train?

Reaction Score
Many years you don’t even have to wait until the end of the season for that….
Unfortunately the current hope has kept the ticket prices a little high for my taste.

As a 7-8 year old kid, I used to get beer bottles thrown at me by those delightful Mets fans at Shea so I will hope nothing but misery on them forever.

Reaction Score
If he's taking the train from CT (presumably) he'd have to go to GCT and can take the LIRR or 7 express subway, couldn't be easier. Not sure again where he's coming from but driving is probably faster and probably cheaper.
Yup. Im in a wheelchair and made the trip twice by myself with no issues. Great park. Absolutely loved the Pat Lafrieda steak sandwich. Think i might go again at some point this season. I got to see deGrom pitch. Great experience.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the current hope has kept the ticket prices a little high for my taste.

As a 7-8 year old kid, I used to get beer bottles thrown at me by those delightful Mets fans at Shea so I will hope nothing but misery on them forever.
I hope that was during the John Rocker era. If so, you deserved it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As a Braves fan, my favorite part of citi field is how cheap the tickets are for their annual end of season series when the Mets are out of contention.
Having never been to CitiField, I'm wondering if the upper decks sway like in Shea. I especially remember the mezzanine rocking while beating the Braves during the era where Chipper inspired the "Larry" chant and Larry Fine pictures went up like K signs.

Lots of memories at that place. Even had a chunk of grass for awhile, acquired after the final Jets home game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom