Cincy wins at Pitt | The Boneyard

Cincy wins at Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that during a couple of Shea's years there Pitt made the tournament.
They have fallen and can't seem to get up. Should Agnes leave, I am guessing that Pitt would run not walk to the phone and offer Shea the job.

If that happens, do you think she would accept it?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that during a couple of Shea's years there Pitt made the tournament.
They have fallen and can't seem to get up. Should Agnes leave, I am guessing that Pitt would run not walk to the phone and offer Shea the job.

At this point I don't think so. But who knows? I'm sure she would have a long talk with Geno about how long he plans on being around and what he thinks Rizotti's plans are. Does she have a shot at UCONN? Or does she need some Head Coaching to have a chance? Or is she waiting for something else? Pitt is not really a glamor job. Too far a step down?

IDK, lot's of questions.

Reaction Score

Perhaps, but she could get a better job.
I thought she might be eyeing UNC, but that's at least 5 years away. The NCSt job, however, could open this year.

Reaction Score
I don't know Jamelle personally but do know someone that knows her well. Recruiting has been the most difficult part of Jamelle's transition to head coaching. At UCONN a prospect was honored to get a call from her and nearly always eagerly spoke to her or returned the call. At UC, not so much. To be clear, she's happy with her recruits but the whole recruiting process is quite different compared to UCONN.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Glad Jamelle's team won, but would rather have had the win come at the expense of ND (fat chance, right ?) Syracuse, or Rutgers. Agnus is a very likeable coach and that may be her problem (obviously I have no inside info). Pitt did make the Sweet 16 in 2007 and 2009.

Anyway - congrats to Jamelle ! May her recruiting star shine brightly in the future !

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think Pitt is just the sort of job a youngish assistant coach like Shea is most likely to get and with her connection she would be on their list. And I do think she will be looking for a HC job in the next few years. WCBB has grown up in the last decade and the programs like UNC (and Uconn when Geno retires) are much less likely to look at assistants. There is much more money involved in WCBB coaching and much more competition for the good program openings. And with the money, the big programs are looking for HC experience.

Reaction Score
I actually think Pitt is just the sort of job a youngish assistant coach like Shea is most likely to get and with her connection she would be on their list. And I do think she will be looking for a HC job in the next few years. WCBB has grown up in the last decade and the programs like UNC (and Uconn when Geno retires) are much less likely to look at assistants. There is much more money involved in WCBB coaching and much more competition for the good program openings. And with the money, the big programs are looking for HC experience.

Among top 25 teams,
Cal, Penn St, South Carolina, UCLA, Colorado, Oklahoma St, Green Bay have new coaches in the last 6 years. More than half (in bold) hired assistants.

Miss St, St Johns, Georgetown, GW also have gone with assts.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Perhaps, but she could get a better job.
I thought she might be eyeing UNC, but that's at least 5 years away. The NCSt job, however, will open this year.

Fixed that for you..... I expected better results outta Harper.... but she just cant get top recruits to go there. Its a shame though... cause when State is good... it makes the ACC tourney even better as they have a good vocal following.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Shea will be UConn's next Womens Basketball coach

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Among top 25 teams,
Cal, Penn St, South Carolina, UCLA, Colorado, Oklahoma St, Green Bay have new coaches in the last 6 years. More than half (in bold) hired assistants.

Often that is a choice to go cheap.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Among top 25 teams,

Not sure where they were ranked at the time of the hire. Penn St was certainly not a good team with all the trouble with the previous coach. Oklahoma St is having its first decent run in a while (I believe) UCLA has missed the NCAAs a number of years, Cal - not sure where they were at hire time. SC and Colorado were pretty bad.
What I was saying is that with few exceptions, the jobs taking over very successful programs go to coaches that have experience at running their own programs or to long term assistants. CD getting hired by Rutgers or Uconn would make sense like the situation at TN. Hiring Shea at UNC or Duke or Uconn at this point would be a big surprise. Pitt, a program in free fall, is a more likely landing spot for a rising assistant. SC might have gone that route as well, but went down a level to hire a rising HC at a mid-major instead. Jamelle and Tonya are typical landing spots for good assistants at successful programs - one took a step down to a successful mid-major, the other to a really bad major.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom