Cin vs Bama… David vs Goliath … | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cin vs Bama… David vs Goliath …

Reaction Score
Defensively, except the first drive really, Cinci played well. Offensively, except the first drive, they didn’t. They couldn’t handle the Alabama defensive front, but they also I thought, had an awful game plan and left stuff on the field all day. First drive the reciever got hit on the hands in the end zone but couldn’t come down with the ball. It would have been a good grab but hardly incredible. The receivers dropped some others too. Bama was better for sure, but it wasn’t the mismatch Michigan was and a play here or there could made it much closer.

Reaction Score
I won’t be watching the final. It’s pro football light and the same old story line. Boring and mind numbing. The only fix is ratings start tanking and somebody wakes up and says competitive parity matters.

Reaction Score
Georgia has a chance to have 17 drafted next draft...analysts are calling for 10 defenders to be drafted...4 of them 1st rounders.

There is a reason that the SEC has won 13 of the last 19 championships...with Florida, LSU, Alabama, and Auburn chiming in.
Your tax $$ at work.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Defensively, except the first drive really, Cinci played well. Offensively, except the first drive, they didn’t. They couldn’t handle the Alabama defensive front, but they also I thought, had an awful game plan and left stuff on the field all day. First drive the reciever got hit on the hands in the end zone but couldn’t come down with the ball. It would have been a good grab but hardly incredible. The receivers dropped some others too. Bama was better for sure, but it wasn’t the mismatch Michigan was and a play here or there could made it much closer.
Agreed. take away half of the drops and half of the deflections, four I think? and it could have been very different game. UC's qb didn't seem to be able to throw through passing lanes. Threw it right at DLs regularly.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The whole bowl system is a waste and has been for some time now. COVID wiping out bowls left and right this year and the lack of anyone caring just amplifies that. I just turned on the Outback bowl and saw that 10 PSU players opted out. The announcer said that this is basically a try out game for 2022 for them. I know money is the reason for these bowls and there is still some of the nostalgia behind it. However, that nostalgia has pretty much been lost with everyone opting out. Why play games where teams best players aren't even playing? I'm not faulting the players opting out either. Why risk your football future in a pointless game?

I used to love bowl season. I used to love watching the Potato Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Liberty Bowl, whatever name you wanna put here Bowl. Now, I don't care as players opt out and CFB has just lost it's luster.

Reaction Score
I am of the school of.."the stars count"

Last Recruit Class Rank..Rivals

2017...Bama #1, Georgia #3

2018...Georgia #1, Bama #7

2019...Georgia #1, Bama #2

2020...Georgia #1...Bama #3

2021...Bama #1...Georgia #5

Herbstreit pointed this out last night. Michigan with 3 5 star type recruits with Georgia over 40. Today on game day they were lamenting players opting out of Bowl games and how "the players just don't care about football anymore". The players are not that into the school they chose sometimes but are just trying to get to the league which explains the top talent going to Bama and Georgia. Look at their coaching staffs. Once Saban retires it may change a bit. With the fall of Miami, Fla ST., USC and LSU more of the top talent has looked elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how TX and OK do going forward with the tougher schedule. But ESPN created this with conference robbing and crushing. Purdue had a great Bowl game minus their top 2 players due to opt out. Who can fault the players with the coaches making so much money?

Reaction Score
There is no rational reason why Alabama and now Georgia should be this much better than everyone else. Talent should naturally distribute itself to where it can find playing time, but for some reason in football it all seems to aggregate at a handful of schools. Wonder why that happens.
And yet there have been dynasties in many college sports — UCLA in MCBB, UNC in WSoc, UConn in WCBB.
Great coaches are a powerful lure.

Reaction Score
I’m gonna run a 25 team CFP simulation and your all gonna like it.

Reaction Score
I knew Cincy was in trouble when I saw the pre-game interview with Coach Fickell. He looked too hyped up and nervous at the same time. It gave me a bad feeling that would translate to the players and keep his assistants in a box. I think the gameplan was too baked in and they were slow to adjust on both sides of the ball.

That said, a few blocked passes had a huge impact on the game. The biggest problem was not adjusting to the run game of Alabama. Once you gas your D in the first half it's tough to ask them to dial things up later in the game. I'd prefer to make Bama at least mix it up and have to beat me through the air occasionally then let them grind my defense all day on the ground. You work too hard all year to come out conservative especially when there's nothing to lose. A keep it close mentality is negative football. I hate a negative mindset.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
a tank in the ratings? youse be trippin.
bama -georgia gonna spin the meter. big time.
as it should.
i guess sum of the whining is directly related to our local culture (10% or so in population for the nation) thinking that we matter on the subject of cfb.
we don't. we always seem to be making excuses for our cultural issues with football.
'it's unfair! they cheated! they're too good! cancel the season!'
hating on excellence, lawyerin every single subject to death, and fear of everrthing is getting to be a bit much around here lately. 'football is so rough. they so mean and tuff. my child will have a hernia just picking up the program guide .... ban it! it's not fair to us! lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my!'
i still think that there is a reserve of folks in the northeast who are ripe for harvesting as husky cfb fans, cuz there ain't no other program that might elevate to the big leagues round these parts, now that jm has signed on to try his best.
next up? does watching ur grammar school pal fall off their bicycle cause ptsd syndrome? is there a pill for that? and why does the qb have to yell so loud when giving the count? it's gonna ruin my childs hearing!
we stink at cfb around here, obviously.
roll tide.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i just checked the ncaa hoop games for today.
20 teams have already played, with some playing now.
30 more teams are scheduled to play later today.
very few from around here.

how is that possible? (tongue firmly planted in cheek.)
knowhaimsayin?

Reaction Score
It is which oxe gets gored....13 straight Final Four appearances by UConn Women...and six of those, National Championships....analogous to Bama in football.

I get "Bama fatigue"....I kind of get that way with Geno...Saban/Geno...

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For ND despisers, in the Fiesta Bowl, ND coughed up a 28-7 lead deep in the 2nd Q to OK St who now leads 34-28 with ND just intercepted. 6+ left in 4th Q

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
a tank in the ratings? youse be trippin.
bama -georgia gonna spin the meter. big time.
as it should.
i guess sum of the whining is directly related to our local culture (10% or so in population for the nation) thinking that we matter on the subject of cfb.
we don't. we always seem to be making excuses for our cultural issues with football.
'it's unfair! they cheated! they're too good! cancel the season!'
hating on excellence, lawyerin every single subject to death, and fear of everrthing is getting to be a bit much around here lately. 'football is so rough. they so mean and tuff. my child will have a hernia just picking up the program guide .... ban it! it's not fair to us! lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my!'
i still think that there is a reserve of folks in the northeast who are ripe for harvesting as husky cfb fans, cuz there ain't no other program that might elevate to the big leagues round these parts, now that jm has signed on to try his best.
next up? does watching ur grammar school pal fall off their bicycle cause ptsd syndrome? is there a pill for that? and why does the qb have to yell so loud when giving the count? it's gonna ruin my childs hearing!
we stink at cfb around here, obviously.
roll tide.
Not sure who's making excuses, and I haven't read anyone saying its unfair. I expect great programs to succeed. God Bless. But I rankle when I see that the structure of the league is contributing a lot to what has become a laughable lack of parity. Its just boring.

The structure of the NFL is such that teams from the same conference or division cannot play for a championship. Why is it possible in FBS? Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Agree that seeing the same few teams in the final four over and over loses its luster, but why not have the two best teams compete for the championship? I'd say that the NFL system often penalizes the second best team.

Reaction Score
As I said in another forum, I knew Cincinnati would get killed. I thought it would be Bama, and Michigan..the SEC is the best...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
As I said in another forum, I knew Cincinnati would get killed. I thought it would be Bama, and Michigan..the SEC is the best...

I wasn’t confident that Michigan’s QB could move the ball. He’s easily in the debate for worst qb to start a cfp game.

I was surprised at how much the Georgia OL dominated those elite edge rushers though

Reaction Score
According to College Factual Alabama football had 69MM in expenses and made a hefty profit in the tens of millions.

Reaction Score
Cincy didn't embarrass themselves, but it didn't make anyone think the G5 should always have a spot in the playoffs f they are undefeated. But, they did as well as an ND team would...so there's that.
Agreed. Cincy didn't move the needle. Didn't impress but probably put up enough of a fight to keep undefeated G5 schools in the CFP conversation.

Tough to gauge when your opponent is Bama though. They're like a semi-pro team.

Reaction Score
I have more interest this year in the FCS championships .
My next door neighbor, great people, have flown a huge North Dakota State banner every game ,so I would normally favor them
However I spent Christmas with a Montana State grad and a nice guy so I’m conflicted
Apparently MSU hasn’t been in it for awhile and it’s a real big deal.
They have filled two charter planes for the game and according to him if you wanted good seats they were $500 each. You don’t need to much excuse to get out of either state in winter but it seems half the residents are already in AZ.
They ‘re playing in a FC Dallas soccer stadium that seats around 20k and I doubt there is a bad seat.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Cincy didn't move the needle. Didn't impress but probably put up enough of a fight to keep undefeated G5 schools in the CFP conversation.

Tough to gauge when your opponent is Bama though. They're like a semi-pro team.
Yeah. Cincy kept it respectable. They held up much better than Michigan did against Georgia.

Cincy is going to keep getting better if Fickell sticks around but they’ll be in the B12. The best G5 programs (Houston, Cincy, UCF) going to the B12 really hurts the G5 in the short term. Who is going to respect it if ECU or Tulane run the table next? They just can’t put together a decent schedule with those 3 schools gone.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Cincy kept it respectable. They held up much better than Michigan did against Georgia.

Cincy is going to keep getting better if Fickell sticks around but they’ll be in the B12. The best G5 programs (Houston, Cincy, UCF) going to the B12 really hurts the G5 in the short term. Who is going to respect it if ECU or Tulane run the table next? They just can’t put together a decent schedule with those 3 schools gone.
Its our turn :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom