Chukwu down to Providence and St. Joes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chukwu down to Providence and St. Joes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can we put an OT on any of these kids that are no longer interested in UCONN. Just saying it is a non story at this point.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can we put an OT on any of these kids that are no longer interested in UCONN. Just saying it is a non story at this point.
It's actually a pretty relevant, on-topic thread imo. He's a 7' kid we've been watching, he has an offer, and this is the first that most here will learn that he is not interested in National Championships or playing in the NBA, um, I mean, attending UConn...

In any event, perhaps future threads about him and his college choice would be off-topic, but not this one.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's actually a pretty relevant, on-topic thread imo. He's a 7' kid we've been watching, he has an offer, and this is the first that most here will learn that he is not interested in National Championships or playing in the NBA, um, I mean, attending UConn...

In any event, perhaps future threads about him and his college choice would be off-topic, but not this one.

agree, please no one make a thread if he chooses PC. maybe if its the other school, but not PC

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Pretty bummed to have missed on the No. 1 Connecticut kid again, but so it goes. I've no doubt that KO will eventually own the state and most of the region.

And with a sophomore and freshman both on the roster, both likely to be 4-year players, center wasn't exactly a pressing need. Hope we hold the scholarship til next year and are able to land one of the five-stars we're in the mix for.

Good luck to Chukwu, by the way. I always root for Connecticut kids even when they're playing in the wrong colors.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Why do we always lose top CT recruits? Do they live in a box?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Chukwu isn't "from" CT. He's from Nigeria. He didn't grow up in CT following the Huskies.

Andre Drummond is from CT.

I know, but he currently lives in CT. And Drummond came out of the womb with a UConn hat.

Reaction Score
Why do we always lose top CT recruits? Do they live in a box?

Struggling with this one here.

Who have we lost?

The Dunn recruitment should not be mentioned because of Napier and Boatright. He had 2 kids ahead of him, AND Daniels came in late as well. Heck, Drummond didn't even have a scholarship available.

Speaking of Drummond, he paid his own way to UConn.

Before that, the top recruit was Tyler Olander.

The other kids before that, Jordan Williams, Allan Chaney, Tim Abromaitis, Dave McClure, were never offered by UConn. Granted, they went to good schools like Maryland, Florida, Notre Dame, and Duke, but Uconn didn't have interest in them.

Before Olander, you go all the way back to Doug Wiggins and Craig Austrie to find another UConn offer.

Chukwu has spent the last 2 years in the state of Connecticut. In that respect, he's no different than some of the Prep School kids who come to Ct. to improve their basketball.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Struggling with this one here.

Who have we lost?

The Dunn recruitment should not be mentioned because of Napier and Boatright. He had 2 kids ahead of him, AND Daniels came in late as well. Heck, Drummond didn't even have a scholarship available.

Speaking of Drummond, he paid his own way to UConn.

Before that, the top recruit was Tyler Olander.

The other kids before that, Jordan Williams, Allan Chaney, Tim Abromaitis, Dave McClure, were never offered by UConn. Granted, they went to good schools like Maryland, Florida, Notre Dame, and Duke, but Uconn didn't have interest in them.

Before Olander, you go all the way back to Doug Wiggins and Craig Austrie to find another UConn offer.

Chukwu has spent the last 2 years in the state of Connecticut. In that respect, he's no different than some of the Prep School kids who come to Ct. to improve their basketball.

I was thinking of Kahlil Dukes, Kuran Iverson, Chaney, Williams, McClure, and Francisco Garcia went to Cheshire Academy I think.

Obviously Gomes was 6'5" 265-270lbs when Calhoun saw him = not good enough lol

Reaction Score
I was thinking of Kahlil Dukes, Kuran Iverson, Chaney, Williams, McClure, and Francisco Garcia went to Cheshire Academy I think.

None of those guys had a chance to go to UConn except for maybe Garcia, and Garcia (I believe) was a NYC kid.

Reaction Score
None of those guys had a chance to go to UConn except for maybe Garcia, and Garcia (I believe) was a NYC kid.

I'll add this: the only kids I can remember UConn losing in the last decade are Chukwu and Dunn, and both were lost to PC, although Dunn's decision was logical and understandable, given the logjam at UConn and the scholarships.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Don't make the mistake of thinking all kids who go to high school within state borders are "Connecticut" kids. Chukwu has no emotional connection to the state at all, and the fact that Ollie decided not to waste a lot of time and resources recruiting him was smart. The simple truth was, he was never going to come here. It's no big deal; we'll get our share of talent. You'd think you guys are new to this from how you're reacting.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
FWIW, Ollie is supposedly all over both Mustapha Heron and Ryan Murphy, a pair of Connecticut kids in the class of 2016. Heron is a five-star, super-athletic top-15 talent who'll play the wing. Murphy is a slightly undersized SG who's a pure marksman.

As far as I know, there's no Ct. kid in the class of '15 worth recruiting. However, KO has offered a number of New England kids, including Josh Sharma (a skinny, 6-foot-11 stretch 4 in the Charlie V mold) and Jaylen Adams, an explosive combo-guard from Springfield.

Re: Why recruiting local matters... if you get local kids, local people talk. If local people talk, local people watch. If local people watch, ratings go up. If ratings go up, we're closer to the BiG invite.

Also, if you really open up the local pipeline, you're less likely to lose the next Vonleh or Noel.

I don't doubt that KO knows this.

caw

Reaction Score
I'll add this: the only kids I can remember UConn losing in the last decade are Chukwu and Dunn, and both were lost to PC, although Dunn's decision was logical and understandable, given the logjam at UConn and the scholarships.

PC is likely to get Chukwu but St. Joes has a shot, mainly because Chukwu's "sister" goes there not PC.

Chukwu is a good kid who comes from a very Catholic household.

As for his game, he's probably further ahead than Thabeet offensively at the same age though slightly behind defensively. He has better hands than Thabeet came into UConn with but has a slighter frame. PC fans would probably call him a stiff (considering that's what they call Thabeet). Chukwu has the chance to be Hibbert with Thabeets athletic ability and it would be a huge disappointment if he weren't at least as good as one of the two

caw

Reaction Score
FWIW, Ollie is supposedly all over both Mustapha Heron and Ryan Murphy, a pair of Connecticut kids in the class of 2016. Heron is a five-star, super-athletic top-15 talent who'll play the wing. Murphy is a slightly undersized SG who's a pure marksman.

As far as I know, there's no Ct. kid in the class of '15 worth recruiting. However, KO has offered a number of New England kids, including Josh Sharma (a skinny, 6-foot-11 stretch 4 in the Charlie V mold) and Jaylen Adams, an explosive combo-guard from Springfield.

Re: Why recruiting local matters... if you get local kids, local people talk. If local people talk, local people watch. If local people watch, ratings go up. If ratings go up, we're closer to the BiG invite.

Also, if you really open up the local pipeline, you're less likely to lose the next Vonleh or Noel.

I want Herron at UConn more than any CT kid since Drummond. He has so much potential.

Reaction Score

UConn does actually pretty well ratings wise. Is Heron related to Gil Scott Heron?

Lastly, I believe UConn has offered Donovan Mitchell for 2015.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
UConn does actually pretty well ratings wise. Is Heron related to Gil Scott Heron?
Yes, but if we get a couple of Boston kids and make them stars, then I'd wager we'd do even better. And that will help us.

Isn't he a NYC kid, though? Not that I'd turn him down, it's just there's a pretty clear distinction between someone who plays ball at a prep school for a year or two and a kid who grows up in UConn country.

caw

Reaction Score

They have.

caw

Reaction Score
Yes, but if we get a couple of Boston kids and make them stars, then I'd wager we'd do even better. And that will help us.

Isn't he a NYC kid, though? Not that I'd turn him down, it's just there's a pretty clear distinction between someone who plays ball at a prep school for a year or two and a kid who grows up in UConn country.

Mitchell is from NYC but I believe moved to CT in middle school or earlier? I don't he came up solely for prep.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Mitchell is from NYC but I believe moved to CT in middle school or earlier? I don't he came up solely for prep.

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler