Christyn Williams down to 5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams down to 5

Reaction Score
UCONN has actually signed 4 players and received 1 verbal since Williams visited-January 2016
  • Mikayla Coombs verbal in July 2016 and signed in November 2016.
  • Lexi Gordon verbal in Feb 2016 and signed in November 2016
  • Andi Espinoza-Hunter signed in November 2016
  • Megan Walker signed in November 2016
  • Charli Collier verbal to UCONN November 2016.
Also noteworthy, UCONN has been evaluating these guards Zia Cooke '19, Yasmeen Chang'19, Anaya Peoples'19 after the Williams visit.
Some of these are signings, and they verballed a while back, before she visited. Andra especially verballed very early on. Not sure about the others, I'm sure some others here know better when they verballed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some of these are signings, and they verballed a while back, before she visited. Andra especially verballed very early on. Not sure about the others, I'm sure some others here know better when they verballed.
Of this entire list only Andra verballed before Williams visited UCONN on January 16th, 2016.
Lexi Gordon (unofficial) visited with Williams in January of 2016.
I'm pretty sure I have the verbal & signing dates of all these players correct.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
UCONN has actually signed 4 players and received 1 verbal since Williams visited-January 2016
  • Mikayla Coombs verbal in July 2016 and signed in November 2016.
  • Lexi Gordon verbal in Feb 2016 and signed in November 2016
  • Andi Espinoza-Hunter signed in November 2016
  • Megan Walker signed in November 2016
  • Charli Collier verbal to UCONN November 2016.
Also noteworthy, UCONN has been evaluating these guards Zia Cooke '19, Yasmeen Chang'19, Anaya Peoples'19 after the Williams visit.

Interesting how many guards/wings UConn has coming on board in 2017 (four to be exacts).
Tennessee has two (Evina Westbrook, Renna Davis), UCLA two also (Kayla Owens, Chantel Horvat), Baylor two (Deauzya Richards and Trinity Oliver) and ND none. However, ND's 2018 commits thus far include guard/wings Katlyn Gilbert and Abby Prohaska and PG Jenna Brown.
The only 2019 I can speak of that we've seen/has seen us is Sammie Puisis and she is most certainly a wing.

Coach McGraw is on record as saying she wants to bring four, maybe 5 people in with the 2018 class and it would seem at least one of those will be a forward/post. Maybe even two. But Williams is such an audacious talent that any of the five schools would drop what they're doing to have her come aboard. I hope the wait just does not go on too long and/or at the expense of jeopardizing other commit possibilities.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think only Walker has given a verbal since Williams has visited. I still think she'll end up at Uconn, she might be asked to change her game a little bit, but I'd expect her to be starting by her 2nd year at Uconn.
I just meant that only Espinoza-Hunter was committed when Christyn visited UConn. Since then, Lexi committed (which I'm sure was a positive for Christyn), followed by the commitments and eventual signings of Coombs and Walker.

So, a lot more young depth at SG and SF with the 2017 class. Now, if Christyn is slated for PG, then there really is no issue. And, if she believes she is better than all of them, then no real issue.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I just meant that only Espinoza-Hunter was committed when Christyn visited UConn. Since then, Lexi committed (which I'm sure was a positive for Christyn), followed by the commitments and eventual signings of Coombs and Walker.

So, a lot more young depth at SG and SF with the 2017 class. Now, if Christyn is slated for PG, then there really is no issue. And, if she believes she is better than all of them, then no real issue.

It's also a testament to Geno and the system he runs at UConn that he's able to convince so many elite players to sacrifice playing time in order to buy into this concept of waiting your turn and doing what's best for the team. Obviously the likelihood of winning multiple championships during your time there helps that.. but it's still amazing to me.

Williams could be the star just about anywhere she goes.. but instead she's gonna go to UConn (IMO, I've already convinced myself this is where she's going) and split playing time with a bevy of really good to great guards/wings and be completely fine with it... she's going to be on the same team with Megan Walker, Charli Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier etc.. these are all players that have the ability and skill to rightfully dominate the ball on their team.. but instead, they come to UConn and buy into the team concept and do what's best for the program. THAT is what's amazing to me and as much as UConn winning everything bugs me.. THAT is why Geno gets my respect. He's a treasure.

There's no other school in WCBB that can do this. No, not even Notre Dame. This is just another thing that separates UConn and it's also another reason the rest of us will always be chasing the Huskies (well, for as long as Geno is there).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's also a testament to Geno and the system he runs at UConn that he's able to convince so many elite players to sacrifice playing time in order to buy into this concept of waiting your turn and doing what's best for the team. Obviously the likelihood of winning multiple championships during your time there helps that.. but it's still amazing to me.

Williams could be the star just about anywhere she goes.. but instead she's gonna go to UConn (IMO, I've already convinced myself this is where she's going) and split playing time with a bevy of really good to great guards/wings and be completely fine with it... she's going to be on the same team with Megan Walker, Charli Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier etc.. these are all players that have the ability and skill to rightfully dominate the ball on their team.. but instead, they come to UConn and buy into the team concept and do what's best for the program. THAT is what's amazing to me and as much as UConn winning everything bugs me.. THAT is why Geno gets my respect. He's a treasure.

There's no other school in WCBB that can do this. No, not even Notre Dame. This is just another thing that separates UConn and it's also another reason the rest of us will always be chasing the Huskies (well, for as long as Geno is there).

Was just listening to Catch call the Robert Morris vs Bryant game and she said almost the identical thing paraphrased:
"
They are so dominat at every position and I know people are tired of hearing it.
I'm from TN so I"m not going to just come right out and say UCONN is going to win it.
Geno does a good job of getting the best players that fit his system, not necessarily "the best players" but the best for his system.
He "Geno & CD" does a great job of developing younger players so that by the time some of them graduate the younger players are ready to take their place. "

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Or was its logo's location a statement on the status of the school?
christynwilliams2-jpg.20666
I am sure she did not mean it but fairly ironic since the first thing that came to mind is "Tennessee Tushy"

Reaction Score

Well....... SC you've summerized the UCONN dynamic as well or better than any of us here on the Boneyard have. Sue Bird just offered a similar (but more abbreviated) comment on the HBO series.

Those things that amaze you about UCONN are the very things that have made me a fan. Watching each team develop is both exciting and satisfying (this year's team being the best example of this) and like you I expect things to continue working out this way as long as Geno is here.

Reaction Score

In one way it's similar to what Calipari has done with Kentucky........he gets a group of great players to come to his school and only play twenty minutes a game........of course the big difference is in Kentucky's case the players are looking for the fastest way reach the NBA while in UConn's case the players are looking to become the best they can be and to work together to win a national championship................

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In one way it's similar to what Calipari has done with Kentucky...he gets a group of great players to come to his school and only play twenty minutes a game...of course the big difference is in Kentucky's case the players are looking for the fastest way reach the NBA while in UConn's case the players are looking to become the best they can be and to work together to win a national championship......

I have heard John Calipari say that the biggest recruiting sell he makes to his one and dones is not playing time or
winning the NC (IMHO they don't care about that at all) but that they will continually practice and get better against the most talented players in Mens BB. A similar inducement for UConn recruitment is very appealing I imagine (together with the NC's and elite coaching)

Reaction Score
Was just listening to Catch call the Robert Morris vs Bryant game and she said almost the identical thing paraphrased:
"
They are so dominat at every position and I know people are tired of hearing it.
I'm from TN so I"m not going to just come right out and say UCONN is going to win it.
Geno does a good job of getting the best players that fit his system, not necessarily "the best players" but the best for his system.
He "Geno & CD" does a great job of developing younger players so that by the time some of them graduate the younger players are ready to take their place. "
So why can't any other coaches and schools find players to fit into there system?? Don't tell me Uconn is the only school? Or is it called discipline and scouting your opponent until your team understand

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have heard John Calipari say that the biggest recruiting sell he makes to his one and dones is not playing time or
winning the NC (IMHO they don't care about that at all) but that they will continually practice and get better against the most talented players in Mens BB. A similar inducement for UConn recruitment is very appealing I imagine (together with the NC's and elite coaching)

To big time players, Calipari sells exposure and draft bump/status over anything. Brand is king.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

You know this really does happen at other schools as well - look at Baylor's front court players coming back this year, and yet they got the #1 post in the country to commit knowing she would be coming off the bench all year. And Louisville, and Maryland, and Ohio State all have stacked rosters, with highly rated freshman who have to realize they weren't likely to start. And ND while not as loaded a roster has a lot of wings/guards. I do think the coaching, the school, and the team have a little more sway with girls recruits than boys.

Reaction Score
To big time players, Calipari sells exposure and draft bump/status over anything. Brand is king.
^^^
This.
His one-and-dones are continually showcased on national TV, which builds their 'brand' before they move on to the NBA.
Also, it's laughable to think that these players learn much of anything in the few months they spend in Lexington.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
^^^
This.
His one-and-dones are continually showcased on national TV, which builds their 'brand' before they move on to the NBA.
Also, it's laughable to think that these players learn much of anything in the few months they spend in Lexington.

Well, they certainly don't go to class!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While there are many differences between men's & women's college basketball, I'm not sure that the comparison between Kentucky & UConn is valid.

While I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way he does things, Calapari has made "one and done" an art form at KY. There is no pretense of developing players over several seasons or getting a college degree. I feel for the few KY players that are not pro ready after their freshman season, because if they come back, they're probably playing behind another group of freshmen AA's.

Geno is always developing his players and everyone graduates. You would never see a player like Saniya Chong at KY. Calapari is not really interested in a player that takes 4 years to become a solid starter.

Reaction Score
While there are many differences between men's & women's college basketball, I'm not sure that the comparison between Kentucky & UConn is valid.

While I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way he does things, Calapari has made "one and done" an art form at KY. There is no pretense of developing players over several seasons or getting a college degree. I feel for the few KY players that are not pro ready after their freshman season, because if they come back, they're probably playing behind another group of freshmen AA's.

Geno is always developing his players and everyone graduates. You would never see a player like Saniya Chong at KY. Calapari is not really interested in a player that takes 4 years to become a solid starter.

Believe me, when I brought up Kentucky, the similarity was simply that both schools attracted great players that were willing to sacrifice playing time to reach their goals............in one case it is to become an NBA player as quickly as possible while in the other it is about personal growth and the chance to win a National Championship..............no similarities there!!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So why can't any other coaches and schools find players to fit into there system?? Don't tell me Uconn is the only school? Or is it called discipline and scouting your opponent until your team understand
I"m not sure what you do for a living and I'm not trying to insult. I would bet if I delivered a bunch of paint and canvas to your house and I delivered the exact same set of supplies to Picasso's house (were he still alive) I bet the results would not be the same. It is the painter, not the paint and canvas.

Reaction Score
^^^
This.
Obviously that's not what they're there for. It's the NBA's internship program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom