Christmas dinner menu? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Christmas dinner menu?

Reaction Score
What do you put on your Placki/Platskis Deep? applesauce, sour cream or...
Golabki on top of the stove or in the oven?
Golabki is baked in the oven. It’s baked in chicken stock covered in the outer cabbage leaves to seal it in. Then pulled out of the stock and covered in the tomato sauce. Learned from the ladies at the Polish National Home in Hartford.

I top the pierogi with onions, butter and bacon.

Reaction Score
Looks good. Is this xmas eve or xmas day? The traditional no meat rule goes for Xmas eve.
Christmas Eve.

I know. What happened was, everyone died and left no recipes and I learned to make the traditional foods and not the pickled herring and fish that no one under 75 liked. So it’s about eating what we want by popular demand.

Reaction Score
Christmas Eve.

I know. What happened was, everyone died and left no recipes and I learned to make the traditional foods and not the pickled herring and fish that no one under 75 liked. So it’s about eating what we want by popular demand.
Always a noble objective

Reaction Score
Leg of Lamb - been a tradition started by sales at whole foods 6 or 7 years back.

May do some osso bucco with some venison shanks on a deer I shot a couple weeks back. Have a full freezer and want to switch it up.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Stouffer's
Sad Rain GIF by WE tv

Reaction Score
Italian Christmas Eve — shrimp cocktail, followed by linguine with clams, scallops and calamari. Third course of fried baccala, whiting, and smelt with baked stuffed shrimp. This is year 20 for me. Took over after my grandfather passed away.

Christmas Day we head to in-laws for ham or turkey or something like that. They can’t cook to save their lives, unless it’s Lebanese food.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Prime Rib, Au Jus, mashed potatoes and something green than isn‘t disgusting (Broccoli, Green Beans). Wife will yell at me as I trim all the fat from my portion. These meals take forever to cook and last 20 minutes.

Tonight was a big ham with homemade Mac & Cheese. That’s leftovers for the next few days.

Reaction Score
Wife handles the holiday cooking, but I know it's beef tenderloin. Maybe brussels sprouts (and maybe with bacon, but eph the raisins). Haven't made or had a yorkshire pudding in years, and suddenly want some. So maybe I can talk her into that or just bang some out myself. Lots of wine.
You like raisins

Reaction Score
I cook a Polish Christmas Eve here but we buck the no meat piece and go with the standards.

Homemade smoked kielbasa
12 dozen farmers cheese and potato pierogi
Golabki (cabbage rolls with rice and ground pork)
Kapusta (sauerkraut with mushrooms)
A smoked ham
Fried halibut
Roasted potatoes
Potato pancakes

Seafood tower to start.
Homemade wisniowka (90 proof cherry cordial) liberally through the entire evening.
Shout out the cabbage rolls. Making a Dalmatian Christmas, including our version of stuffed cabbage, sarma.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Golabki is baked in the oven. It’s baked in chicken stock covered in the outer cabbage leaves to seal it in. Then pulled out of the stock and covered in the tomato sauce. Learned from the ladies at the Polish National Home in Hartford.

Shout out the cabbage rolls. Making a Dalmatian Christmas, including our version of stuffed cabbage, sarma.
I'm half Lithuanian, wife is full Serb. She won't touch stuffed cabbage or kielbasa and has no use for pierogi. Drives me crazy. I haven't had Polish/Lit golabki in ages, only sarma when we're at relatives on Serb holidays. I think they make extra for me as they always pack leftovers for me.

But I do have bigos in the freezer for several lunches next week.

Reaction Score

I like a little sour cream on the potato pancakes. My mother would make walnut, poppy seed and prune rolls kolachy cookies crescent cookies, breads... good stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m going all German this year. Rouladen (rolled beef with mustard, bacon, onion and pickles in it) in an amazing beef gravy, spaetzle, green beens with bacon, sweet sour red cabbage. German cinnamon choco Bundt cake for dessert. Charcuterie board to start with, and tons of Chex Mix (a family tradition since the 60’s) to munch on throughout the day and night

Reaction Score
I’m going all German this year. Rouladen (rolled beef with mustard, bacon, onion and pickles in it) in an amazing beef gravy, spaetzle, green beens with bacon, sweet sour red cabbage. German cinnamon choco Bundt cake for dessert. Charcuterie board to start with, and tons of Chex Mix (a family tradition since the 60’s) to munch on throughout the day and night
Chex Mix being an old German delicacy? Just kidding.

Reaction Score
I like a little sour cream on the potato pancakes. My mother would make walnut, poppy seed and prune rolls kolachy cookies crescent cookies, breads... good stuff.
Delicious. That generation loves their prunes!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Chex Mix being an old German delicacy? Just kidding.
I got two big bags of my sister‘s homemade Chex mix for Christmas this year. We are about half German/Austrian. Let’s make it a thing!

Reaction Score
Within the last year, I started messing around with garlic and butter. (Garlic press is one of my favorite kitchen toys...probably because if you're cooking with garlic, you know it's gonna be tasty.) I know, I'm probably 20 years behind the curve, but I'm learning on my own here ;-) Just regular butter, fresh minced garlic, and a seasoned salt I always make/have on hand (3 salt, 2 garlic powder, 1 pepper 2 Italian seasoning - awesome on any kind of grilled veggies). Mix all that stuff together...delish on almost anything. Recently, I thought, hey, why don't you look in the grocery store for some already made? So I did. It looks almost exactly the same, but close to 4x the price of regular butter. Thinking I can make it a lot cheaper myself, and vary it depending on what's cooking. The stuff goes a long ways...definitely don't need to use as much as with regular butter. Not for everything (crescent rolls, probably no, mashed potatoes, yes), but tasty stuff.

Any good flavored butter recipes/styles out there?

Reaction Score
I'm doing the cooking. Beef tenderloin. Cooking it in a garlic herb butter and making a horseradish cream sauce for it. Potatoes au gratin, Brussel sprouts with bacon and raisins, yorkshire puddings. Haven't decided on dessert.

What are people making?
Baked ziti
Fettuccini bolognese

Reaction Score
Christmas Eve.

I love pickled hearing. I still make it like my mom and grandma did. What I miss is the smoked eel my grandmother would get in Woodhaven, Queens. When I started dating my wife my mom added peel n eat jumbo shrimp to the Xmas eve meal to go along with "fishy fish". LoL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom