Chopping block | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chopping block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All thanks to AD David Benedict
Once the basketball team was happy - who cares about football or baseball?
Great for MBB but it will financially kill UConn.
It’s absurd. AD Dave to short/medium term MBB success over long term wholistic athletic success.

Reaction Score
UConn is currently 1-4 against teams it outspends in terms of investment in football, which was last reported at 18.5 million. This doesnt include USF that spent $18.7 million last year. 0-5 against teams that outspend UConn.

The money is there to not be this bad. Where the money is going should he scrutinized.

Reaction Score
Second rate OC and no DC. Come on man, get real. Either Mora is hamstrung or he sucks hiring.
Lmaoo so now we are going to blame the AD for Mora hiring bad coaches? C'mon man, you get real. The funds are there for the program to be respectable, that Mora has not fully maximized them it's another issue

Reaction Score
UConn is currently 1-4 against teams it outspends in terms of investment in football, which was last reported at 18.5 million. This doesnt include USF that spent $18.7 million last year. 0-5 against teams that outspend UConn.

The money is there to not be this bad. Where the money is going should he scrutinized.
Fake news, I thought we were running the program on a shoe string budget.

Reaction Score
My take on the situation.

QB: If Roberson isn't going to run more, he will not be successful as he is not a great passer. Maybe it's the injury or maybe the coaches don't want him to run. Need to upgrade.

RB: For the second year in a row, we are very thin at RB. When Rosa was injured, we had 2 scholarship RBs. Needs to change.

WR: We don't know if the young WRs are good as they don't play. Needs a big upgrade.

TE: Seems OK, but can always get better.

OL: Solid OL this year.

DL: I think the DL has done a good job, but there needs to be a pash rusher who could be a LB.

LB: Big disappointment this year and a downtick from last year. Need to reload.

DB: Tackling needs to improve, but I think the majority of the pass coverage problem is scheme and/or confusion. I think a dedicated DC would help.

ST: The loss of Houston and Brewton early in the season eliminated the return game. McFadden doesn't seem to be recovered and struggled. Right now, Ruelas is better. Caratan has long punts with no height so they are very returnable.

Coaching: Absolutely need a dedicated DC. We lost most of our best offensive skill players in the last year: Marion, Turner, Carter, Brewton, and Houston to early exit and Burnes to graduation and the offense hasn't replaced them. Mora needs to figure out what happened there and fix the problem. I go back and forth on Charlton. I think Fagnano won the starting job at the start of the season because he didn't think Roberson was fully recovered from his injury. Clearly, his offense isn't working well and some of his play calls are maddening. That said, how many explosive players does he have to use? The number of drops to start the season were mind boggling. Maybe it's his fault the key skill players left or maybe it isn't, but Mora needs to figure it out.
We definitely needed to to see TR use his legs more on Saturday... That didn't happen. Only time I noticed him running was when were down big. Too late then.

Reaction Score
Our main issues this year is… not solidifying a quarterback from spring to fall. In my honest opinion, Zion Turner should’ve been given the starting nod and should’ve been his job to lose. My reason is because he led us to a bowl game and improved has the season went on Let TQ and JF battle it out for qb2

Receiving core downgraded awful. Losing Turner and Marion and not replacing them with equally better guys or as close to them is hurting us. We are wayyy too one dimensional and don’t have any wrs stepping up. Here is my thing, I think Mora and co killed any type of confidence the team had last season by not developing players who helped us get to the bowl game offensively wise. With no continuity it is gonna be difficult for our offense to click on all cylinders, qb, rb, and wr. Also you are not giving younger guys who have been here a chance, but bringing in players from the portal who are not even performing…

Not replacing our linebacker core with solid guys from FBS school who were hungry to prove themselves, instead we pick up FCS players and as of right now, the FBS is too fast for them because blown assignments and missed gaps is mind blogging. They are not making an impact on defense in return it’s exposing Jackson Mitchell as a player who is as good as the people around him.

Our secondary sucks. We play 12 yards off and give opposing teams receivers all the time in the world to get open.
Solid argument for ZT. in hindsight we can see it. The one thing sticks out with him (AND he proved it last year, like it or not)... he can lead our team to win winnable games. He did it. Sure he needs(ed) to develop more, but, maybe that on the job training was what the doctor ordered. Sure, he doesn't have all tangibles/measurable, but he understands his position. He's a baller.
I love TR's potential, but ZT, I hope, in the end ('24) takes the spot. So far, we had a taste of success when he was a part of the equation.

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying this about ZT all season. Give him a chance or at least split snaps - this was 5 game ago. At least he runs to pick up first downs. I‘ve also said TR Is clearly a pocket passer and we cannot protect the pocket - need a dual threat QB.

But on Fagnano, It’s interesting that he in some way became lightening rod - face it we were bad with him, and have been bad with his replacement. I think maybe everyone had these high expectations (myself included) and when they didn’t happen - must be the new QB. We see now that was only one small part of the story.

In terms of us playing many games close and losing and losing players mid season to the portal, this is a coaching issue. Mora can try to distract with budget comments, life as an independent, talent but doesn’t work, not w/me.

Mora’s failure is his inability to adjust and play with the team he‘s got - not the one he wants.

Reaction Score
My take on the situation.

QB: If Roberson isn't going to run more, he will not be successful as he is not a great passer. Maybe it's the injury or maybe the coaches don't want him to run. Need to upgrade.

RB: For the second year in a row, we are very thin at RB. When Rosa was injured, we had 2 scholarship RBs. Needs to change.

WR: We don't know if the young WRs are good as they don't play. Needs a big upgrade.

TE: Seems OK, but can always get better.

OL: Solid OL this year.

DL: I think the DL has done a good job, but there needs to be a pash rusher who could be a LB.

LB: Big disappointment this year and a downtick from last year. Need to reload.

DB: Tackling needs to improve, but I think the majority of the pass coverage problem is scheme and/or confusion. I think a dedicated DC would help.

ST: The loss of Houston and Brewton early in the season eliminated the return game. McFadden doesn't seem to be recovered and struggled. Right now, Ruelas is better. Caratan has long punts with no height so they are very returnable.

Coaching: Absolutely need a dedicated DC. We lost most of our best offensive skill players in the last year: Marion, Turner, Carter, Brewton, and Houston to early exit and Burnes to graduation and the offense hasn't replaced them. Mora needs to figure out what happened there and fix the problem. I go back and forth on Charlton. I think Fagnano won the starting job at the start of the season because he didn't think Roberson was fully recovered from his injury. Clearly, his offense isn't working well and some of his play calls are maddening. That said, how many explosive players does he have to use? The number of drops to start the season were mind boggling. Maybe it's his fault the key skill players left or maybe it isn't, but Mora needs to figure it out.
I agree with everything in your post but I would emphasize the lack of outside wide receivers that have both the speed and the size to get downfield is killing our passing game. Buckman, Jolly, and Ross all operate pretty well on the inside routes and are good enough to make catches. On the long stretch routes we really have a hard time. Our receivers often get push out of bounds or never get any separation from the cornerback. Porter has very good speed but rarely gets open downfield. Ross is a bit better but struggles against more physical cornerbacks. This is a huge need for this team.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Roberson has been below average and he's light years ahead of Fagnano. Fagnano was an unmitigated disaster (side note: what does a mitigated disaster look like?).

Not suffering from the well-documented Palatine disease.

When something isn't working I'm perfectly fine trying a different way even if it ends up with the same results.
Below average for Roberson is being very kind (and I don't like badmouthing any kids).

There is no way in hell that any of us (people who are not on the staff) have seen enough of either QB this past summer-fall to objectivity claim one outperformed the other in practice to earn the job.

Claiming that the staff chose the lesser QB is lazy, narrow minded thinking, jumping to a conclusion without sufficient evidence.

None of our QB'S this season have shown anything. The only time all season I have seen anything promising was the opening drive against NC St. Beyond that, anything that qualifies as positive passing offense has occurred either against lesser competition, situations where the defense was allowing shorter routes due to a lead or both.

Reaction Score
Any organization performing this badly deserves all the scrutiny it gets from above.

No scholarship player should be safe and no coach should be safe.

And if AD Dave can't figure it out, his job won't be safe.

It's not hyperbole to connect the dots with the current and near future landscape of college basketball and realize football can sink the entire athletic dept. Football most likely won't ever be king at UConn but it has to be competent.
I do wonder how many FB hires Benedict has left. He's been bad at it.

Reaction Score
I do wonder how many FB hires Benedict has left. He's been bad at it.
It really seems like he only had one true "hire" and that Randy was kind of forced on him. No true info on that, just what it always felt like.

Reaction Score
It really seems like he only had one true "hire" and that Randy was kind of forced on him. No true info on that, just what it always felt like.
I agree. But if the choice was keeping Bob or bringing back Randy, with the benefit hindsight obviously, the better move was keeping crazy Bob. Also it was him that extended Bob and THEN fired him.

Reaction Score
Hey Friends,

Great suggestions thus far. I agree with many of them.

The UConn Football program needs help. Big changes are necessary NOW.

• Most Coaches need to be let go.
  • Slower, non-hustle players need to be let go.
  • Independence must go.
  • Benedict needs to go.

AND

- First & foremost, since college football is a pro sport now, the NIL war chest money has to be built up & guaranteed to be competitive. Otherwise?

QUESTION: Do you think that the financially beleagured State of Connecticut & deep pockets of Fairfield County (who Identify more with Yale) will ever rise to the NIL demands of UConn's PRO College Football Program?

Not in my lifetime. Especially since UConn Sports cannot come close to meeting ANY budget. The main culprit of course is the UConn Football, which is not a money-maker & cannot even cover it's expenses. We are adrift in Independent Purgatory, without the money to properly support an FBS football budget & pay the pro players.

So here's an option we have rejected, & hoped we could over-achieve upward & away from, but never tried in decades - FCS!

Why FCS?

To return UConn Football to its roots as a regional program, which is all it can ever be, despite our hopes & dreams. Yes FCS is expensive too, but not completely Pro either.

Connecticut is NOT a big-time football state. No pedigree. No local talent with size & speed. Small talent pool. Cold Weather. Not a huge fan base. Fewer deep-pocket boosters than many states & who are active now. Too far from the Deep South talent pools to get many studs. Not enough winning records or NFL players from UConn Football to build upon. The many fatal limitations are so obviously.

We should be playing our traditional football rivals at a level at which we can excel in ther near term. Bring our fans to games that mean something & include bragging rights, rather than Tennessee Massacre's.

Yes, FBS Football is the Land of Milk, Honey & Riches - but only for the few. And UConn is not considered in that circle, ever on the outside looking in. Not many FBS state football programs are meeting their budgets, again football costing the most. The Big Ten is a pro league boys club that UConn Football will never have a chance to compete with.

I think it is time to revisit the FCS discussion. It is fool's gold for the little "meh on football" state of Connecticut to think that FBS pro football will ever bring riches to Storrs.

Father Demo

PS: UConn is for hoops!
Some food for thought.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
if we were serious about this sport we’d fire mora and spend real money on a proven head coach and support staff. But we’ll push it off another year while our mediocre coach makes more excuses and we have another abysmal season. Then we’ll finally let him go, and hire some mediocre retread(mora/Edsall/PP), or a crazy person again.
Because firing coaches every couple of years is what serious teams do, am I right?

If the A.D. wants to be proactive, and he definitely should, he should replace Charlton with an OC whose offensive theory isn't based on throwing in random gadget plays and hoping for the best. Likewise, they should go out and get the best DC they can find. While they're shopping they should pick up special teams coaching help. Finally Benedict should rally the supporters of the team to get the maximum amount of NIL possible's and then let Mora know that he needs to see results.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with everything in your post but I would emphasize the lack of outside wide receivers that have both the speed and the size to get downfield is killing our passing game. Buckman, Jolly, and Ross all operate pretty well on the inside routes and are good enough to make catches. On the long stretch routes we really have a hard time. Our receivers often get push out of bounds or never get any separation from the cornerback. Porter has very good speed but rarely gets open downfield. Ross is a bit better but struggles against more physical cornerbacks. This is a huge need for this team.
Buckman looks like he should just have a very small role as a receiver is undersized and he does not have the speed. He would be a great FBS player and I like him a lot but it's evident when he's on the field, he just struggles.

Reaction Score
if we were serious about this sport we’d fire mora and spend real money on a proven head coach and support staff. But we’ll push it off another year while our mediocre coach makes more excuses and we have another abysmal season. Then we’ll finally let him go, and hire some mediocre retread(mora/Edsall/PP), or a crazy person again.
I think Mora has another year to show progress. Are his recruits even having an impact yet?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed next year will be his “make or break” year. We need to show progress.
The question is, how do you define showing progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom