Chopping block | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chopping block

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Any organization performing this badly deserves all the scrutiny it gets from above.

No scholarship player should be safe and no coach should be safe.

And if AD Dave can't figure it out, his job won't be safe.

It's not hyperbole to connect the dots with the current and near future landscape of college basketball and realize football can sink the entire athletic dept. Football most likely won't ever be king at UConn but it has to be competent.
This is 100% correct. Laughable football will skuttle out athletic department, including hoops. We must invest in football for the sake of the university. It doesn't have to be a top 25 program, but it must not be a bottom 25 program either.

Reaction Score
Can’t understand why the coaches keep dropping passes and missing tackles.
Well, ideally the tackling, dropped passes and other mental mistakes are the exact issues coaches are supposed to be working with players on during the week - they should get better over time… In our case they have not.

I’ve always said my biggest question after seeing this years team is can someone tell me what happened in the offseason??? Or what didn’t happen?

And the departures of key players key positions because they had some issue w/ the coaching staff, maybe they were the ones you needed to hold to that ball, catch those passes and make those tackles?

Reaction Score
Without accountability, there is no way to improve going forward. It's starts with leadership and those coaches who set the football strategy and talent development. Players and recruits haven't bought in. Until it's fixed, we're going nowhere.

Reaction Score
Well, ideally the tackling, dropped passes and other mental mistakes are the exact issues coaches are supposed to be working with players on during the week - they should get better over time… In our case they have not.

I’ve always said my biggest question after seeing this years team is can someone tell me what happened in the offseason??? Or what didn’t happen?

And the departures of key players key positions because they had some issue w/ the coaching staff, maybe they were the ones you needed to hold to that ball, catch those passes and make those tackles?
Our main issues this year is… not solidifying a quarterback from spring to fall. In my honest opinion, Zion Turner should’ve been given the starting nod and should’ve been his job to lose. My reason is because he led us to a bowl game and improved has the season went on Let TQ and JF battle it out for qb2

Receiving core downgraded awful. Losing Turner and Marion and not replacing them with equally better guys or as close to them is hurting us. We are wayyy too one dimensional and don’t have any wrs stepping up. Here is my thing, I think Mora and co killed any type of confidence the team had last season by not developing players who helped us get to the bowl game offensively wise. With no continuity it is gonna be difficult for our offense to click on all cylinders, qb, rb, and wr. Also you are not giving younger guys who have been here a chance, but bringing in players from the portal who are not even performing…

Not replacing our linebacker core with solid guys from FBS school who were hungry to prove themselves, instead we pick up FCS players and as of right now, the FBS is too fast for them because blown assignments and missed gaps is mind blogging. They are not making an impact on defense in return it’s exposing Jackson Mitchell as a player who is as good as the people around him.

Our secondary sucks. We play 12 yards off and give opposing teams receivers all the time in the world to get open.

Reaction Score
I don't know how you can look at all the extra positions that were created after Mora was hired and come to the conclusion that the AD is not willing to invest in the program. I mean we pay Mora 3 times as much than the JMU head coach for Christs sake.
Second rate OC and no DC. Come on man, get real. Either Mora is hamstrung or he sucks hiring.

Reaction Score
Please tell me what it is that you have seen that can be evidence that Roberson should have been the choice over Fagnano. It seems that you are suffering from Palatine disease*.

As far as Turner, it became obvious (as he didn't see the field until there were only four games remaining) that all involved (likely including Turner) were determined to redshirt him this season.

* Palatine disease: the unsubstantiated belief that whoever coaches haven't selected to play QB is clearly not only a far better player than the guy they chose, he also has no flaws in his game.
I agree with you on this issue. It was wishful thinking by our fan base ( including me ) that Roberson would be at least as accurate of a thrower as Fagnano and a much better runner than Fagnano. As it it turned out, Fagnano was a better runner in the game and half that he played then Roberson and in my opinion a slightly more accurate thrower of the football. Roberson has a strong arm but often is high with his throws He also has a tenancy to throw the ball almost sidearm which leads to even more inaccurate throws. Fagnano has a better overhead throwing motion.

I know my opinion will not be popular with "fire all the coaches " point of view on this board, but I am convinced that the coaches are at least playing the best players on the roster. Unfortunately, we need better players.

Reaction Score
Roberson showed on the pick 6 that he has speed when he ran the DB down and did not tackle. He won't run when he has the ball and it hurts us. No coach has fixed this. As for folks thinking that someone "up top" needs to fix things I don't see any way Radenka would have a clue what to do. So that moves to the Board of Trustees. Who there would be able to fix things? I would hope DB is already having discussions about having a DC and changing the OC with Mora.

Reaction Score
Speaking of chopping block Texas A & M just canned Jimbo. Unfortunately, letting him walk is going to cost the school $75 mil. Ouch.

Jimbo out at A & M

Reaction Score
I don't know how you can look at all the extra positions that were created after Mora was hired and come to the conclusion that the AD is not willing to invest in the program. I mean we pay Mora 3 times as much than the JMU head coach for Christs sake.
You think AD is willing to invest what it takes to get this program out of the dumpster fire? We don’t have a defensive coordinator for criminy sake.

Reaction Score
You think AD is willing to invest what it takes to get this program out of the dumpster fire? We don’t have a defensive coordinator for criminy sake.
That's on Mora. He never should've signed off on Spanos and then because of his hubris he chose to run the defense.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Speaking of chopping block Texas A & M just canned Jimbo. Unfortunately, letting him walk is going to cost the school $75 mil. Ouch.

Jimbo out at A & M
Hmmm, 0.643 record after 6 years, yeah, I'd take that right now for our program ! Can we get Jimbo as an advisor over the summer?:)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
With the exception of maybe Murawski, has any freshman this year cracked the 2-deep?? It's an honest question, I'm not sure of the answer.

We're likely redshirting a bunch of the recruits from this past year, and we're hopeful on a few of the incoming ones to do big things, like Cole Welliver.

Big losses to the portal and we didn't get back the equivalent talent. And we're relying on our young roster to get stronger and more experienced. It's led to some crappy results, but I'm hopeful that next year will be noticeably better. Still, plenty of questions to ask about our OC and our special teams which have both been seemingly much worse this year...

Reaction Score
It's not at the feet of the AD, obviously. It is the President, the BOT's, and the state budget/Governor's office. Don't you think if the AD could wave a wand to double or triple the FB budget it would've been been done long ago?!

Reaction Score
Hey Friends,

Great suggestions thus far. I agree with many of them.

The UConn Football program needs help. Big changes are necessary NOW.

• Most Coaches need to be let go.
  • Slower, non-hustle players need to be let go.
  • Independence must go.
  • Benedict needs to go.

AND

- First & foremost, since college football is a pro sport now, the NIL war chest money has to be built up & guaranteed to be competitive. Otherwise?

QUESTION: Do you think that the financially beleagured State of Connecticut & deep pockets of Fairfield County (who Identify more with Yale) will ever rise to the NIL demands of UConn's PRO College Football Program?

Not in my lifetime. Especially since UConn Sports cannot come close to meeting ANY budget. The main culprit of course is the UConn Football, which is not a money-maker & cannot even cover it's expenses. We are adrift in Independent Purgatory, without the money to properly support an FBS football budget & pay the pro players.

So here's an option we have rejected, & hoped we could over-achieve upward & away from, but never tried in decades - FCS!

Why FCS?

To return UConn Football to its roots as a regional program, which is all it can ever be, despite our hopes & dreams. Yes FCS is expensive too, but not completely Pro either.

Connecticut is NOT a big-time football state. No pedigree. No local talent with size & speed. Small talent pool. Cold Weather. Not a huge fan base. Fewer deep-pocket boosters than many states & who are active now. Too far from the Deep South talent pools to get many studs. Not enough winning records or NFL players from UConn Football to build upon. The many fatal limitations are so obviously.

We should be playing our traditional football rivals at a level at which we can excel in ther near term. Bring our fans to games that mean something & include bragging rights, rather than Tennessee Massacre's.

Yes, FBS Football is the Land of Milk, Honey & Riches - but only for the few. And UConn is not considered in that circle, ever on the outside looking in. Not many FBS state football programs are meeting their budgets, again football costing the most. The Big Ten is a pro league boys club that UConn Football will never have a chance to compete with.

I think it is time to revisit the FCS discussion. It is fool's gold for the little "meh on football" state of Connecticut to think that FBS pro football will ever bring riches to Storrs.

Father Demo

PS: UConn is for hoops!

Reaction Score
My take on the situation.

QB: If Roberson isn't going to run more, he will not be successful as he is not a great passer. Maybe it's the injury or maybe the coaches don't want him to run. Need to upgrade.

RB: For the second year in a row, we are very thin at RB. When Rosa was injured, we had 2 scholarship RBs. Needs to change.

WR: We don't know if the young WRs are good as they don't play. Needs a big upgrade.

TE: Seems OK, but can always get better.

OL: Solid OL this year.

DL: I think the DL has done a good job, but there needs to be a pash rusher who could be a LB.

LB: Big disappointment this year and a downtick from last year. Need to reload.

DB: Tackling needs to improve, but I think the majority of the pass coverage problem is scheme and/or confusion. I think a dedicated DC would help.

ST: The loss of Houston and Brewton early in the season eliminated the return game. McFadden doesn't seem to be recovered and struggled. Right now, Ruelas is better. Caratan has long punts with no height so they are very returnable.

Coaching: Absolutely need a dedicated DC. We lost most of our best offensive skill players in the last year: Marion, Turner, Carter, Brewton, and Houston to early exit and Burnes to graduation and the offense hasn't replaced them. Mora needs to figure out what happened there and fix the problem. I go back and forth on Charlton. I think Fagnano won the starting job at the start of the season because he didn't think Roberson was fully recovered from his injury. Clearly, his offense isn't working well and some of his play calls are maddening. That said, how many explosive players does he have to use? The number of drops to start the season were mind boggling. Maybe it's his fault the key skill players left or maybe it isn't, but Mora needs to figure it out.

Reaction Score
This is 100% correct. Laughable football will skuttle out athletic department, including hoops. We must invest in football for the sake of the university. It doesn't have to be a top 25 program, but it must not be a bottom 25 program either.
This 1000%. People seem to think the BE was our savior but playing tiny catholic schools for $5M a year is not a long term solution to support a massive athletics program at a flagship university. There’s a reason none of our peers are doing it.

We need a long term solution and that won’t be possible without having a somewhat competent football program.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Please tell me what it is that you have seen that can be evidence that Roberson should have been the choice over Fagnano. It seems that you are suffering from Palatine disease*.

As far as Turner, it became obvious (as he didn't see the field until there were only four games remaining) that all involved (likely including Turner) were determined to redshirt him this season.

* Palatine disease: the unsubstantiated belief that whoever coaches haven't selected to play QB is clearly not only a far better player than the guy they chose, he also has no flaws in his game.

Roberson has been below average and he's light years ahead of Fagnano. Fagnano was an unmitigated disaster (side note: what does a mitigated disaster look like?).

Not suffering from the well-documented Palatine disease.

When something isn't working I'm perfectly fine trying a different way even if it ends up with the same results.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This 1000%. People seem to think the BE was our savior but playing tiny catholic schools for $5M a year is not a long term solution to support a massive athletics program at a flagship university. There’s a reason none of our peers are doing it.

We need a long term solution and that won’t be possible without having a somewhat competent football program.
All thanks to AD David Benedict
Once the basketball team was happy - who cares about football or baseball?
Great for MBB but it will financially kill UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom