Chopping block | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chopping block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are an utter embarrassment. Its shockingly difficult to be this consistently bad over so many years. If Mora brings back his staff, it tells you this program is going nowhere fast.
He can bring them all back, but he needs more help than they’re giving him. He needs a full-time DC to start. He needs analysts that are into the portal. He needs help on offense and specials.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Any organization performing this badly deserves all the scrutiny it gets from above.

No scholarship player should be safe and no coach should be safe.

And if AD Dave can't figure it out, his job won't be safe.

It's not hyperbole to connect the dots with the current and near future landscape of college basketball and realize football can sink the entire athletic dept. Football most likely won't ever be king at UConn but it has to be competent.

Reaction Score
He can bring them all back, but he needs more help than they’re giving him. He needs a full-time DC to start. He needs analysts that are into the portal. He needs help on offense and specials.
What’s Joe Moorhead doing nowadays? All Benedict and Mora need to do is call him and just give him what he wants. The guy is also a great recruiter.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
If Mora brings back his staff, it tells you this program is going nowhere fast.
Cannot agree more with what you wrote! If that happens (return of most staff), that tells me either Mora doesn't think he could get more competent replacements or that our situation is beyond his capabilities to resolve.

Reaction Score
Moorhead is a real disappointment at Akron. He should have taken an OC job someplace better.

Reaction Score
The defensive coordinator debacle and the offensive coordinator disaster are on Mora. He's making excuses for himself and many here are buying it.

Reaction Score
The defensive coordinator debacle and the offensive coordinator disaster are on Mora. He's making excuses for himself and many here are buying it.
Last year we weren’t as bad defensively. Maybe he expected to stay at that level.

On offense, we played with ZT, and had to simplify a lot. Who knew this year would be worse?

I get everyone’s frustration, but most of us expected a lot more. The players have been one of my biggest let downs.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Last year we weren’t as bad defensively. Maybe he expected to stay at that level.

On offense, we played with ZT, and had to simplify a lot. Who knew this year would be worse?

I get everyone’s frustration, but most of us expected a lot more. The players have been one of my biggest let downs.

Coaches should have known. They had all off season to evaluate Turner and Roberson amd ended up choosing Fagnano.

Coaches butchered several positions on the depth chart on the off-season. That is 100% on coaching staff.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Coaches should have known. They had all off season to evaluate Turner and Roberson amd ended up choosing Fagnano.

Coaches butchered several positions on the depth chart on the off-season. That is 100% on coaching staff.
Please tell me what it is that you have seen that can be evidence that Roberson should have been the choice over Fagnano. It seems that you are suffering from Palatine disease*.

As far as Turner, it became obvious (as he didn't see the field until there were only four games remaining) that all involved (likely including Turner) were determined to redshirt him this season.

* Palatine disease: the unsubstantiated belief that whoever coaches haven't selected to play QB is clearly not only a far better player than the guy they chose, he also has no flaws in his game.

Reaction Score
Charlton
DB coach
WR coach
ST coach
DL coach
LB coach
RB coach

Any ideas for new cancandidates

Legit arguments for some assistant coaching spots that need to be scrutinized, but not all these spots, not by a long shot

Reaction Score
OC
ST
add a DC

I dont have particular issue with a specific position coach on offense because Charlton created terrible offensive ideas and they just had to coach to that plan.

Defense needs a DC and I think perhaps we are just too slow on defense to keep up with bigger programs currently so it wasn't as much of a scheme issue. Last year schedule being easier allowed us to win more than we probably should have. So those position coaches get a pass from me for that.

Reaction Score
OC
ST
add a DC

I dont have particular issue with a specific position coach on offense because Charlton created terrible offensive ideas and they just had to coach to that plan.

Defense needs a DC and I think perhaps we are just too slow on defense to keep up with bigger programs currently so it wasn't as much of a scheme issue. Last year schedule being easier allowed us to win more than we probably should have. So those position coaches get a pass from me for that.
Oh and for Special Teams... Coordinator is a disaster, choices for returning have been terrible. Decision to use McFadden when he clearly isnt his former self was terrible.

Caratan is good but obviously overused...

Reaction Score
Please tell me what it is that you have seen that can be evidence that Roberson should have been the choice over Fagnano. It seems that you are suffering from Palatine disease*.

As far as Turner, it became obvious (as he didn't see the field until there were only four games remaining) that all involved (likely including Turner) were determined to redshirt him this season.

* Palatine disease: the unsubstantiated belief that whoever coaches haven't selected to play QB is clearly not only a far better player than the guy they chose, he also has no flaws in his game.
Palatine Disease is actual believing something without evidence. And it's not a disease it's a disorder. And you have it.
Palatine Syndrome is not understanding why coaches keep playing non-productive players without trying someone difference.

Reaction Score

They only had old film or work against their own suspect defense. I’m concerned they couldn’t figure it out.

Lack of more quality and quantity in the LB space was our worse problem to me.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What were our excuses last year? No NIL?

Reaction Score
This too
Why? We had one AD who let Louisville take our place in the ACC while he partied in the Bahamas. [he is now dealing with a real mess at Michigan]. His predecessor was a real loser whose hires killed the Football program.
Benedict brought us a winning mens BB coach and a real find for head football coach. Not sure being AD of an independent University in the days of NIL and unlimited transfers is an ideal job for anyone.

Reaction Score
Its all about a coaching philosophy and how that impacts evaluating players in the portal. If Charlton didn’t see a QB that fit his system, why would he push to pursue him. He was locked into the system we now see is inadequate for success. He’s a horizontal thinker—bubble screens, runs to the sides without the speed to sustain ther style.
Seldom throws vertically. Few slants or sit in the space 8 yd throws. He calls deep throws that are seemingly double covered and not accurate. Or sideline throws that are too often out of bounds. Or short screens thst go nowhere.
There’s no reason we couldn’t have plucked the JMU QB from Arizona’s portal last year—but Charlton preferred Fagnano. Joe knew the Charlton system. We need a new system. We need a new OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom