Chip Malafronte's take on AAC... | The Boneyard

Chip Malafronte's take on AAC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
'The Big East leftovers finally settled on a new name for its conference. The American Athletic, which sounds a lot like a generic brand of sweatshirts they might sell at SEARS.
But it could be worse. The day is coming when greedy college presidents will finally allow their bland, non-specific conference to be named after a corporate sponsor
Frankly, conferences don't get any vaguer than the concoction of nobodies UConn is stuck with at the moment.
So, really, be happy with American Athletic, AAC of whatever pet name sticks. Because this very easily could have been the Beef O'Brady's Conference."

Reaction Score
'The Big East leftovers finally settled on a new name for its conference. The American Athletic, which sounds a lot like a generic brand of sweatshirts they might sell at SEARS.
But it could be worse. The day is coming when greedy college presidents will finally allow their bland, non-specific conference to be named after a corporate sponsor
Frankly, conferences don't get any vaguer than the concoction of nobodies UConn is stuck with at the moment.
So, really, be happy with American Athletic, AAC of whatever pet name sticks. Because this very easily could have been the Beef O'Brady's Conference."

Who is Chip Malafronte again?

Reaction Score
Who is Chip Malafronte again?
Former UConn football beat writer for the New Haven Register. He's now the Sports Editor & writes a Sunday rant column entitled "Sunday Gravy".

Reaction Score
I like Chip, but i have to disagree. We should have sold the naming rights.

AAC is about as generic as it gets. If we were the GoPro Conference, at least we would get some money for it.

There's no honor among whores.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think if your second word is Athletic, then Association plays better than Conference.

Of course AAA is an issue.

American is generic enough that if they go back down the Boise - Western road they don't get mocked for a name that makes no sense.

As for Chip he was the best beat writer they had before he took the columnist job. The issue was that the Register is so bush league they don't send writers on the road.

Best case would have had the Courant hire him on the FB beat.

Reaction Score
I think if your second word is Athletic, then Association plays better than Conference.

Of course AAA is an issue.

American is generic enough that if they go back down the Boise - Western road they don't get mocked for a name that makes no sense.

As for Chip he was the best beat writer they had before he took the columnist job. The issue was that the Register is so bush league they don't send writers on the road.

Best case would have had the Courant hire him on the FB beat.

Jim Fuller has done a good job filling the "UConn" void...

pj

Reaction Score
I like Chip, but i have to disagree. We should have sold the naming rights.

"Nike Conference" would attract NCAA investigations. "IBM Conference" or "Wal-Mart Conference" -- we'd be a laughingstock. "Buffy's Ranch and Brothel Conference" might work.

Reaction Score
Fuller is OK. I'd put Silver as the best today.

Yup - Silver has the SNY piece as well as JI to bolster him. Fuller covers multiple sports for the Rag and still produces quite a bit of UConn Football stuff considering. Paper business is getting harder and harder.

Reaction Score
"Nike Conference" would attract NCAA investigations. "IBM Conference" or "Wal-Mart Conference" -- we'd be a laughingstock. "Buffy's Ranch and Brothel Conference" might work.

The NCAA is too busy these days. This is the golden era of cheating. They literally would need armies of armies of lawyers to police college sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yup - Silver has the SNY piece as well as JI to bolter him. Fuller covers multiple sports for the Rag and still produces quite a bit of UConn Football stuff considering. Paper business is getting harder and harder.

John Silver if you are reading can you please have SNY break the RSS feed into separate sports? I imagine that the women's basketball fans would be as pleased as I would.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think we should have gone right outside of the box with something like the Kick Ass Conference, the Magnificent Tweleve, or the Max Power Conference. Screw these bland generic names! :D

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think we should have gone right outside of the box with something like the Kick Ass Conference, the Magnificent Tweleve, or the Max Power Conference. Screw these bland generic names! :D

You think that's bland, wait for the logo. How can it not be a double outlined A with a star in the middle.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
You think that's bland, wait for the logo. How can it not be a double outlined A with a star in the middle.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

You want to incorporate naked midget wrestlers and fireworks?

Reaction Score
Miami might want to joint that one.

Reaction Score
"Buffy's Ranch and Brothel Conference" might work.
Then we'd be obligated to add UNLV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member