Chief's Brief's | The Boneyard

Chief's Brief's

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Ok - We can't do much about someone's basketball IQ but if we are going to play dumb at least be strong. Our inability to develop strength is inexcusable - I can't count the number of times the Temple player just grabbed the ball away from us.

The last few games we pushed the other team off the line - today they were taking threes mostly from the line - again not complicated but we failed at it.

As for Adams, I have no clue what specific happened - so I won't comment other than to say there are obvious personality conflicts that need to be addressed.

Brimah - Man do we have a strength coach? Do we have a Bigs coach? His hand is a much bigger factor than it should be or else he shouldn't be playing. Surgery during the season is usually a mistake if you want to play.

Bottomline - we can't execute on offense - we don't even know what we are trying to do - no sense of purpose.

Reaction Score
If Phil's hand strength improvement over his career is any indicator, then Brimah (and perhaps other bigs) is doomed.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We're all in boxers or briefs because Temple just stole the pants right off of us.

Reaction Score
If Phil's hand strength improvement over his career is any indicator then Brimah (and perhaps other bigs) is doomed.

That's the disturbing thing. Not a single one of our bigs has improved significantly over their 3-4 years. It's now past the point where we should expect Brimah to be a major force at any point in his, yes, 4-year career here (remember when people thought he'd be a first-round pick after 2?).

Now, granted, we're working with Plan C, D, and E bigs in terms of Facey, Brimah, and Nolan. But JC and his staff excelled at developing that sort of player. KO and his staff haven't developed anybody, guards or bigs.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
With the former staff Facey, Brimah, and Nolan would be unrecognizable.

Reaction Score
Ok - We can't do much about someone's basketball IQ but if we are going to play dumb at least be strong. Our inability to develop strength is inexcusable - I can't count the number of times the Temple player just grabbed the ball away from us.

The last few games we pushed the other team off the line - today they were taking threes mostly from the line - again not complicated but we failed at it.

As for Adams, I have no clue what specific happened - so I won't comment other than to say there are obvious personality conflicts that need to be addressed.

Brimah - Man do we have a strength coach? Do we have a Bigs coach? His hand is a much bigger factor than it should be or else he shouldn't be playing. Surgery during the season is usually a mistake if you want to play.

Bottomline - we can't execute on offense - we don't even know what we are trying to do - no sense of purpose.

I agree with everything but the usual "big mans coach" with AB? Again, if you had Jabbar, Pete Newell and Bill Walton with him every day you would have the SAME player. He learns zero, has nothing to do with coaching. He hasn't done anything better than his freshman year, maybe one or 2 things but help me find those? No natural instincts at all for the game. A laugher for those who were worried about this guy leaving for the NBA. He's have to pull a Carl Krauser and stay at UConn for 7 years to get a look from the NBA.

Good kid, great cheerleader, not a good basketball player sorry.

C

Chief00

I agree with everything but the usual "big mans coach" with AB? Again, if you had Jabbar, Pete Newell and Bill Walton with him every day you would have the SAME player. He learns zero, has nothing to do with coaching. He hasn't done anything better than his freshman year, maybe one or 2 things but help me find those? No natural instincts at all for the game. A laugher for those who were worried about this guy leaving for the NBA. He's have to pull a Carl Krauser and stay at UConn for 7 years to get a look from the NBA.

Good kid, great cheerleader, not a good basketball player sorry.

I think the first issue with Brimah, besides a lack of understanding of the game, is a lack of functional strength. It's amazing our strength coach who specialized in gymnastics his previous job - just doesn't get it. It's not only about conditioning and flexibility - you also need brute power. We don't focus on that anymore.
As for Bigs coaching - we could do better - never mind my buddy Clyde - George Blaney is certainly missed in so many ways.

Reaction Score
KO and his staff haven't developed anybody, guards or bigs.

Perhaps I'm still just pissed, but I was about to say the same thing. Most of our players are the exact players they were 2-3 years ago. In some cases, I'd argue they were better 2-3 years ago (Omar and Phil) and have regressed.

On the Amida tip, his lack of basketball instincts are really exposed at times. This game was one of those. He was absolutely inept against physical bigs and in a game where they were allowed to push him around. He's always a second or three slow which explains (in part) his really poor rebounding. But the lack of fundamentals, i.e., boxing out- help make him an even worse rebounder. As a whole, this team is pretty soft. Miller has some spunk, but he takes some plays off as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom