Chief - Cleaning up One Thing @ a Time Translates to Winning | The Boneyard

Chief - Cleaning up One Thing @ a Time Translates to Winning

Reaction Score
Some progress in areas that Chief has highlighted is very satisfying. It’s not who gets the credit, but it’s the progress the UConn MBB team made that’s important.

So let’s drill down:
  • Jackson Jr had 6 Assists/2 Turnovers as his Assist/Turnover Ratio was a very good 3.
  • Tactically the coaches worked with Andre to make the simple pass as Chief recommended. Guys easily caught his passes and it often quickly translated into a score. Andre was just as creative but without mistakes. Good job Andre and staff.
  • Chief also mentioned using Jackson as a defensive stopper and he played tough/smart defense tonight against a good match-up.
  • Sanogo only had 1 foul as Hurley minimized exposing him to the disasterous defensive hedging risks.
  • Chief had set 32 to 36 minutes as a target range for Adama and he came in at 34 minutes. Good job staff managing Adama’s minutes. Congrats to Danny for being willing to break up his rotations, putting winning first. Keeping your best player on the floor makes everyone else better too!
  • More minutes translated to a 20pt/16 reb game for Adama.
  • Interestingly 3 other starters hit that target range too. Only Jackson had under 30 minutes at 29.
  • Overall, we closed out pretty good but did make a few mistakes that Chief will highlight to anyone listening LOL! Among them:
  • Sloppy footwork by Martin on inbounds, who otherwise played well 16pts/10 Rebs.
  • Missed foul shots by Cole and Sanogo at crunch time. Who otherwise played well. FT practice tomorrow!!!!!
  • Could have used another ball handler in last 2 minutes. Gaffney?
  • Hurley’s sideline demeanor was more focused and business like as Chief has been encouraging.

Reaction Score
Some progress in areas that Chief has highlighted is very satisfying. It’s not who gets the credit, but it’s the progress the UConn MBB team made that’s important.

So let’s drill down:
  • Jackson Jr had 6 Assists/2 Turnovers as his Assist/Turnover Ratio was a very good 3.
  • Tactically the coaches worked with Andre to make the simple pass as Chief recommended. Guys easily caught his passes and it often quickly translated into a score. Andre was just as creative but without mistakes. Good job Andre and staff.
  • Chief also mentioned using Jackson as a defensive stopper and he played tough/smart defense tonight against a good match-up.
  • Sanogo only had 1 foul as Hurley minimized exposing him to the disasterous defensive hedging risks.
  • Chief had set 32 to 36 minutes as a target range for Adama and he came in at 34 minutes. Good job staff managing Adama’s minutes. Congrats to Danny for being willing to break up his rotations, putting winning first. Keeping your best player on the floor makes everyone else better too!
  • Interestingly 3 other starters hit that target range too. Only Jackson had under 30 minutes at 29.
  • Overall, we closed out pretty good but did make a few mistakes that Chief will highlight to anyone listening LOL! Among them:
  • Sloppy footwork by Martin on inbounds, who otherwise played well 16pts/10 Rebs.
  • Missed foul shots by Cole and Sanogo at crunch time. Who otherwise played well. FT practice tomorrow!!!!!
  • Hurley’s sideline demeanor was more focused and business like as Chief has been encouraging.
Gaff's career is starting to look similar to Omar Calhoun's career. Solid first year. Assumed he'd improve and become a team leader. Obviously that's not happening. Running out of time.

But yes, we need him as a second ball handler and it's not happening.

Saw him enthusiastically cheering from the bench tonight. Maybe he's the next Tor Watts. At this point I'll take what we can get.

Reaction Score

So let’s drill down:
I guess Chief it the Boneyard comedy. I don't really pay much attention to your stuff but sometimes it is fun to read just out of boredom.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

So let’s drill down:

1645080600887.png

Reaction Score
Thank you. Finally, some progress on some critical path issues, which are key to our success. Jackson’s passing improvement was amazing. We all knew the exceptional and gifted passing talent was there - but in one game he cleaned up about 60% to 80% of the sloppiness - it just vanished. The efficiency in his passing would have made even perfectionist George Blaney proud.
There is nothing prettier in basketball than an efficient, unselfish pass that leads to an easy basket.

Reaction Score
I guess Chief it the Boneyard comedy. I don't really pay much attention to your stuff but sometimes it is fun to read just out of boredom.
Whatever path that gets one to a productive and constructive place works for Chief. Looking forward to congratulating Andre’s family at the Nova game.

It’s a beautiful thing to watch, a switch literally getting turned on right before our eyes for a young gun. Let there be light!

Reaction Score
Top 10 chief post here
Thank you, but one thing I failed to mention is Adama showed some signs of identifying the double team and making the pass back outside before the double completely arrived. If Adama can do that consistently it opens up all kinds of things for our offense. Where the opposing defense looks like us against Nova - one step behind the play.
Too early to make a prediction - but my gut is telling me big upset Tuesday at a rocking XL. But, one game at a time.

Reaction Score
Gaff's career is starting to look similar to Omar Calhoun's career. Solid first year. Assumed he'd improve and become a team leader. Obviously that's not happening. Running out of time.

Saw him enthusiastically cheering from the bench tonight. Maybe he's the next Tor Watts. At this point I'll take what we can get.
Good points and Chief is praying a light goes on for Gaffney too. To be an elite team we need that second PG. Teams are going to start denying Cole the ball. While Jackson Jr and Martin handle fine for a 3 position guy they are not the combo or PG type.

Reaction Score
I'll admit it was strange seeing Adama playing late in the 1st half.
Indeed and I think I even heard Danny publicly say that he may need to play him with 2 fouls in the first half sometimes.
But, best practice is avoiding the second in the first half and staying on the floor.
34 minutes is beautiful to Chief. Great management win by the staff.

Reaction Score
The passing as a team last night was the best we have seen. On a night we couldn’t hit shots, and we stayed in the game for a half just by brutalizing them on the boards, the second half was an offense. People moved without the ball and people made the right passes to them. If we play like that more, on days we make shots it’s going to be real fun.

Reaction Score
2 things:

Agrees with Andre's passing. It's like we had said in the other thread, he has a good eye but makes passes to difficult or flashy. Last night he created and didn't try to make everything a no look pass. Awesome job! We were finally able to see his passing skills in display in a positive light.
Not sure that Tyrese actually committed a turnover on the inbounds. He looked to be out if bounds when he caught the pass from Sango, who also appeared to be out of bounds. Even the announcers were dumbfounded after watching the replay.

Reaction Score

Sorry, not sure about this comparison. I think you’re forgetting how good Omar was. He was a highly touted recruit who had a big time Freshman year. We all expected that he’d be a future star in the program, but injuries derailed his career. Im not sure we ever saw the true Omar because of these injuries.

Gaffney was not highly recruited and had an “ok” at best Freshman year. He showed some promise last year, but he’s regressed. A better comparison quite frankly is the recent Brendan Adams — not a highly touted recruit, also a bigger combo guard, showed some promise sophomore year, failed to deliver his junior year and fell out of rotation.

Reaction Score
The passing as a team last night was the best we have seen. On a night we couldn’t hit shots, and we stayed in the game for a half just by brutalizing them on the boards, the second half was an offense. People moved without the ball and people made the right passes to them. If we play like that more, on days we make shots it’s going to be real fun.
Couldn’t agree more. The second half was an offensive template for us to emulate going forward. It’s great seeing the light switch go on as a team. We made Seton Hall appear one step behind the play, much like what Villanova does to us. I hope we can bottle that unselfish and efficient mindset and make it repeatable.

Reaction Score
2 things:

Agrees with Andre's passing. It's like we had said in the other thread, he has a good eye but makes passes to difficult or flashy. Last night he created and didn't try to make everything a no look pass. Awesome job! We were finally able to see his passing skills in display in a positive light.
Not sure that Tyrese actually committed a turnover on the inbounds. He looked to be out if bounds when he caught the pass from Sango, who also appeared to be out of bounds. Even the announcers were dumbfounded after watching the replay.
Was that intentional on our part or 2 guys not knowing where their feet were regardless if they were both completely out of bounds? At any rate - make it crisper and simple.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Thank you. Finally, some progress on some critical path issues, which are key to our success. Jackson’s passing improvement was amazing. We all knew the exceptional and gifted passing talent was there - but in one game he cleaned up about 60% to 80% of the sloppiness - it just vanished. The efficiency in his passing would have made even perfectionist George Blaney proud.
There is nothing prettier in basketball than an efficient, unselfish pass that leads to an easy basket.

Chief, I have enjoyed your contributions recently and I posted that simply as a chop buster.

Both domain names are up for renewal in the next month or so and I have no reason to keep maintaining them. They are all yours if you can tell me how to update my message signature on the BY.

Reaction Score
Sorry, not sure about this comparison. I think you’re forgetting how good Omar was. He was a highly touted recruit who had a big time Freshman year. We all expected that he’d be a future star in the program, but injuries derailed his career. Im not sure we ever saw the true Omar because of these injuries.

Gaffney was not highly recruited and had an “ok” at best Freshman year. He showed some promise last year, but he’s regressed. A better comparison quite frankly is the recent Brendan Adams — not a highly touted recruit, also a bigger combo guard, showed some promise sophomore year, failed to deliver his junior year and fell out of rotation.
Gaffney has more of a burst than Adams. Chief sees potential in him but granted time is precious and it’s running out. But, great to see positive body language cheering teammates on.

Reaction Score
Seton hall opened the second half playing a zone because of foul trouble and UConn’s cold shooting. Jackson immediately had 3 assists in a row. He’s excellent at passing against a zone
Good point. Maybe a zone helps slow things down for him? Or it could be what he often saw in HS since he could blow by or go over most defenders?

Reaction Score
Thought Andre had a great floor game last night.. Actually could have had a few more assists but ball was moving unselfishly among the guys. IMO--Unsung hero in passing game last night was IW.. If he can continue to build on the last few games as a passer and an occasional foul-line/elbow jumper it would/will really open up floor.

Was one of our more complete team wins. Next.

Reaction Score
Gaffney has always been a great team guy, very enthusiastic when he is not in the game. We will need him as the season winds down and i hope he can come through. Just play under control and not try and do too much. As for playing Adama in the first half with 2 fouls I would hate to see it. If the refs are calling it very close the chances of him getting a third are real high. Try and weather the storm and hope others step up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more. The second half was an offensive template for us to emulate going forward. It’s great seeing the light switch go on as a team. We made Seton Hall appear one step behind the play, much like what Villanova does to us. I hope we can bottle that unselfish and efficient mindset and make it repeatable.
Honestly, some of our best ball movement and passing was in the first half, including three times that we got Hawkins a wide open three. He just missed all of them. Doesn't take away from the ball rotating and people movement that freed him up.

Reaction Score

Well... it's not perfect comparison. But I did forget about Omar's injuries

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom