Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition

Reaction Score
X didn’t guard him at all. They gave him 15 feet of space and packed the lane so he took 4 wide open 3’s and missed them all. If he made even two of them, which he does sometimes, we’d be having a different conversation.

IMO, he had to take those shots. Otherwise, we are basically playing 4 on 5.
Agree with this. Seems like DH is posting AJ up on the block early in games to get him thinking offensively.
Hasn’t panned out yet but he has gotten good looks. It was unfortunate he missed all those outside shots but he had to take them. As a result of his misses and further reluctance to take the shots later in the game it allowed the defense to continue to clogged up the lane. If he makes a few the lane gets bigger for our drives and Sanogo

Reaction Score
Eh…this is probably the best example of a team we should be able to defend with two bigs. Sanogo on Freemantle, Clingan on Nunge.
I get what you mean but we held Freemantle and Nunge to below their season averages. I was actually really happy with how we guarded both of them. We really just got killed by their guards being so hot from 3 (they finished 10/20 from 3 as a team). Double big wouldn't have really helped us there.

I also wonder either Sanogo or Clingan could guard Jerome Hunter consistently. Hunter is a bad matchup for us and seemed to get a lot of free layups in both games, ending up with 15 in the first match-up and 11 tonight

Reaction Score
I appreciate the change for Andre to get in the post, but it seemed that was all abandoned as he launched three 3s in the first 4 minutes and clanked them all, along with pretty much every other shot he took

Let’s face it. He’s not an offensive threat anywhere except on a fast break with nobody ahead of him. The off-season is the time to build his offensive game and plan sets for him. Not mid season. Right now he just doesn’t have a scoring skillset. Running low post action won’t fix that

He did a great job in that second half press. He reached for a few dumb steals he was never going to get, and of course that boneheaded goaltending down the stretch, but otherwise was pretty disciplined and successfully slowed down Xavier while keeping the ball 25+ feet from the hoop for most of the possession. Integral to the (almost) comeback and that’s where his value is. Andre’s offensive deficiencies got hidden in the second half when Sanogo was actually more on the perimeter and that opened up driving lanes. Xavier couldn’t leave him alone to double Sanogo because we weren't force feeding. Hawkins and Newton got to play fluid ball and each scored 20+ for it

That’s Andre’s value this season. A freak athlete that should be able to disrupt offensive flow, and a great passer. Stick to his strengths. You can’t re-invent him halfway through his junior year

Reaction Score
X didn’t guard him at all. They gave him 15 feet of space and packed the lane so he took 4 wide open 3’s and missed them all. If he made even two of them, which he does sometimes, we’d be having a different conversation.

Miller did what smart coaches have been doing against us for the past two years- ignore Jackson on defense- but took it to the extreme. You've got to feel for the kid- it had to have been psychologically devastating.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A great crowd at Gampel erupted in the second half as the team finally recognized their two best offensive players are Hawkins and Sanogo. Mr Hawkins brings us back with 26 points in the second half in a wire type game but we fall just short. We lost this game early.

After Hawkins and Sanogo led us back in the game, Danny benches both and Xavier ran off 5 points, and then moved the lead back to 11. What don’t we understand about riding the hot hand? But then we finally did learned that until late turnovers killed us.

We are approaching February and this team still doesn’t know it’s identity other than we don’t quit. Our centers are shooting over 58%, yet Danny still has failed to institute the double big, despite playing a zone defense.

What’s also became apparent is against physical teams one Big just doesn’t cut it. Xavier penetrated with ease and got second shots. We need to clog up the lane.

Jackson takes 8 shots to open up the game while Hawkins took 1. A woman reporter pressed Andre last game about why he wasn’t more offensive and I wonder if tonight’s out of character opening was some response to that?

Newton put some points on the board the first half and ending up with 21 points, kept us in the game until Hawkins got hot.

A very tough lose, Xavier repelled our runs. I think Danny needs to learn the early timeout at the start of the game. We dug too deep a hole.
I don’t think “one big” is the issue. Xavier is the only team with two. What I consistently see is our guys 1-4 get overpowered. Jackson is athletic, but not strong. Karaban is a freshman who needs 10 pounds of muscle. Newton and Hawk do ok, but often face stronger guys. Alleyne is one of the few who can tussle with them.

Obviously we had other issues. I think Alleyne needs to start for Jackson going forward but I doubt that Hurley will do it. Jackson is the weakest link on the team. Can’t score and plays poor 1 v 1 man D.

Hawk is a special offensive talent. Sanogo played terrific defense, challenging shots all over the court. Newton played the way we need. Karaban had an off game. Alleyne played well and brought real energy.

Reaction Score
Good analysis. Nice effort by Newton, but we really need a solid point guard.
In a 3 point loss Newton’s 5 turnovers hurt as did Jackson’s uncharacteristic opening. Calhoun would have benched Andre after a minute or two of play and put him back in later. By not going Double Big, despite playing a zone at times limited Clingan to just 7 minutes. Sheer insanity. However Danny is looking at things the window is closing on having a successful season if he doesn’t make the starting Double Big change soon.

Reaction Score
I don’t think “one big” is the issue. Xavier is the only team with two. What I consistently see is our guys 1-4 get overpowered. Jackson is athletic, but not strong. Karaban is a freshman who needs 10 pounds of muscle. Newton and Hawk do ok, but often face stronger guys. Alleyne is one of the few who can tussle with them.

Obviously we had other issues. I think Alleyne needs to start for Jackson going forward but I doubt that Hurley will do it. Jackson is the weakest link on the team. Can’t score and plays poor 1 v 1 man D.

Hawk is a special offensive talent. Sanogo played terrific defense, challenging shots all over the court. Newton played the way we need. Karaban had an off game. Alleyne played well and brought real energy.
I agree our guys get overpowered playing 4 out and 1 in. That’s the simple reason we need another Big in their playing more than the 7 measely minutes that he played last night. Clingan is one of our best players and that minute allocation defines insanity. Since we get overpowered, the solution isn’t giving less minutes to our strongest guy (Sanogo) but rather playing them together. We have to play zone a lot anyways since some of our guards can’t stay in front of their man on defense.
I just don’t see what you do in Alleyne. Jackson played terrible the first 5 minutes last night but his production is what it is for the season shutting top scorers down, rebounding and providing assists.

Reaction Score
I was discussing this exact same issue with a couple of my sons tonight, Hurleys lucky Clingan wanted to stay home and be near his family so the chances of him leaving are probably very low. 34 minutes for Sonogo and 7 for Clingan, and Johnson had 0, That’s coaching malpractice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get what you mean but we held Freemantle and Nunge to below their season averages. I was actually really happy with how we guarded both of them. We really just got killed by their guards being so hot from 3 (they finished 10/20 from 3 as a team). Double big wouldn't have really helped us there.

I also wonder either Sanogo or Clingan could guard Jerome Hunter consistently. Hunter is a bad matchup for us and seemed to get a lot of free layups in both games, ending up with 15 in the first match-up and 11 tonight
Our Bigs do more than hind there own (Clingan and Sanogo), the problem is we need them both in there to cover for all the guards who get best.

Reaction Score
We did NOT lose this game early. We cut it to one five different times. We are simply unable to perform with the game on the line. Until they do it, they can't.
I think we had both problems last night. Digging a deep hole early and despite Newton’s 21 points on the comeback, he had 5 turnovers compared to 4 assists.
Hawkins is our best offensive weapon and benching him and Sanogo together with about 11 minutes left killed our comeback momentum.

Danny has been a mid major coach until UConn and he seems uncomfortable playing with 2 Bigs, which many successful D1 teams use with ease. I guarantee you he will never be as successful as he could be if he doesn’t change that.

Reaction Score
We did NOT lose this game early. We cut it to one five different times. We are simply unable to perform with the game on the line. Until they do it, they can't.
What are you talking about? If the biggest early deficit had been only 13 instead of 17, UConn wins by 1!

Reaction Score
Again with the double big nonsense

They can’t defend with both clingan and sanogo on the floor. That’s very obvious
Your 4 out dudes are getting killed on defense. They are not staying in front of the ball. The reality is we need a strong back line to mitigate the penetration damage.

It is amazing to me after the conclusive failure of the 4 out and 1 in scheme on both offense and defense, somehow that convinces you even more the double big won’t work without any evidence because after 4 successful minutes against PC we have not seen it.

Having a center and a power forward is not a unique experimental concept. For a lot of good basketball reasons it is how many strong teams are constructed. Think Bill Walton and Maurice Lucas.

Reaction Score
While we all mull over what should be the starting lineup or what combinations work best, if things don't change we will be lucky to finish 11-9 in league play.

Reaction Score

Sanogo let down and gave up uncontested shots several times.

Reaction Score
Your 4 out dudes are getting killed on defense. They are not staying in front of the ball. The reality is we need a strong back line to mitigate the penetration damage.

It is amazing to me after the conclusive failure of the 4 out and 1 in scheme on both offense and defense, somehow that convinces you even more the double big won’t work without any evidence because after 4 successful minutes against PC we have not seen it.

Having a center and a power forward is not a unique experimental concept. For a lot of good basketball reasons it is how many strong teams are constructed. Think Bill Walton and Maurice Lucas.
Your referencing a Bill Walton lineup is pretty revealing. Two bigs is not the answer. It doesn’t solve our defensive problems and it definitely doesn’t help offensively. Clingan should 100% get more minutes, but it should be with Sanogo on the bench. He needs the post to himself anyways and Sanogo can’t play outside ten feet again.

Also having trouble getting excited about Hurley “figuring some things out” in this game. It’s the end of January and we’re 2-6 in our last 8. One or two more games “figuring it out” and they’re going to be figuring out what beach they’re on for spring break

Reaction Score
I was at last nights game, in person, you see better what's the problem.
Two bigs is definitely the answer. Why? Because our "bigger" guards can't keep quicker guards in front them. So, they give them some space, and "boum" they reign threes down on our heads , or if we "jam" them, they go right by.
With Clingan in there ( the guy is gigantic in person), the penetration stops at about 8 ft., fewer trys at point blank with him in there. He doesn't block every shot, but he intimidates every shot.
Plus his rebounding, with Sanogo, would prevent easy put backs by the opposition.

Reaction Score

I turned it on at 9-0 as well so didn’t see AJax misses. If they’re giving him enough space (I realize 15ft may be an exaggeration) why didn’t he drive to basket and force the defense to defend or foul? He’s got a decent enough handle and can obviously jump/ challenge any defender. But again, I didn’t see the plays so I may be unfairly judging. What did you guys think as you saw it in real-time?

Reaction Score
In a 3 point loss Newton’s 5 turnovers hurt as did Jackson’s uncharacteristic opening. Calhoun would have benched Andre after a minute or two of play and put him back in later. By not going Double Big, despite playing a zone at times limited Clingan to just 7 minutes. Sheer insanity. However Danny is looking at things the window is closing on having a successful season if he doesn’t make the starting Double Big change soon.

I appreciate your tenacity on this, I really do. But it's a fool's errand.

The double-big will not substantially improve our defense vs. the all teams that matter. For example. Xavier's ball movement is just too good and their bigs are too mobile. A Sanogo/Clingan combo would have gotten absolutely abused.

And on offense, it will do nothing but clog up the lane. Last night was the first game since our skid where we got good dribble penetration, which opened up our flow. How did that happen? We deliberately pulled Sanogo out from the post on many sets.

Are you going to pull both Clingan/Sanogo out of the lane so that this will happen? If so, how do you think that will go?

Reaction Score

I agree with that...they weren't the issue today. I was more just replying about the double bigs not being a good matchup defensively; I think this is probably the one team in conference where it is.

Agreed on Hunter though - probably too quick for Sanogo. Although he was also too strong for Karaban...so I would have been fine giving it a shot. Hunter has killed us both games. Versatile player and finishes strong/crafty near the basket.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I agree our guys get overpowered playing 4 out and 1 in. That’s the simple reason we need another Big in their playing more than the 7 measely minutes that he played last night. Clingan is one of our best players and that minute allocation defines insanity. Since we get overpowered, the solution isn’t giving less minutes to our strongest guy (Sanogo) but rather playing them together. We have to play zone a lot anyways since some of our guards can’t stay in front of their man on defense.
I just don’t see what you do in Alleyne. Jackson played terrible the first 5 minutes last night but his production is what it is for the season shutting top scorers down, rebounding and providing assists.
I don't know Chief, AJax just didnt bring enough on the defensive end to offset his offensive deficiencies. Also last night he had two assists and 2 rebounds - thats not enough to allow him to take 12 shots

Reaction Score
I appreciate your tenacity on this, I really do. But it's a fool's errand.

The double-big will not substantially improve our defense vs. the all teams that matter. For example. Xavier's ball movement is just too good and their bigs are too mobile. A Sanogo/Clingan combo would have gotten absolutely abused.

And on offense, it will do nothing but clog up the lane. Last night was the first game since our skid where we got good dribble penetration, which opened up our flow. How did that happen? We deliberately pulled Sanogo out from the post on many sets.

Are you going to pull both Clingan/Sanogo out of the lane so that this will happen? If so, how do you think that will go?

Spot on.

Reaction Score
I don't know Chief, AJax just didnt bring enough on the defensive end to offset his offensive deficiencies. Also last night he had two assists and 2 rebounds - thats not enough to allow him to take 12 shots
I had thought it might have been the interview after the last game that prompted his uncharacteristic play but another poster thought Hurley was trying to intentional post him in his matchup. Either way he’s got to let the game come to him on the offensive side. The only three guys we should be running plays for to start the game are Hawkins, Sanogo and Clingan. The rest of the guys take the offense in the flow,

Reaction Score
The Jackson is going to be a scorer experiment is going to be our undoing. It is never going to happen. He needs to focus on playing better defense and rebounding more. This was another game where at the game the opposing team looked stronger physically at almost all positions. This is why we can not stop 3's and 4's from making shots inside the 3 point arc. They are tougher.
In the first half Hurley put in DC and Miller took Nunje out and had Freemantle defend Clingan. Xavier went smaller but with their other forwards being strong they did fine.
We pressed on Xavier inbounds early in second half and they ran the same play 3 times to get the ball out of the corner. Where are the coaches correcting the players?
When Hurley subs in Clingan, Diarra, Allyene and or Joe C all at once it is a bad thing. He needs to get starters and rest but not all at once.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom