Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition

Reaction Score
A great crowd at Gampel erupted in the second half as the team finally recognized their two best offensive players are Hawkins and Sanogo. Mr Hawkins brings us back with 26 points in the second half in a wire type game but we fall just short. We lost this game early.

After Hawkins and Sanogo led us back in the game, Danny benches both and Xavier ran off 5 points, and then moved the lead back to 11. What don’t we understand about riding the hot hand? But then we finally did learned that until late turnovers killed us.

We are approaching February and this team still doesn’t know it’s identity other than we don’t quit. Our centers are shooting over 58%, yet Danny still has failed to institute the double big, despite playing a zone defense.

What’s also became apparent is against physical teams one Big just doesn’t cut it. Xavier penetrated with ease and got second shots. We need to clog up the lane.

Jackson takes 8 shots to open up the game while Hawkins took 1. A woman reporter pressed Andre last game about why he wasn’t more offensive and I wonder if tonight’s out of character opening was some response to that?

Newton put some points on the board the first half and ending up with 21 points, kept us in the game until Hawkins got hot.

A very tough lose, Xavier repelled our runs. I think Danny needs to learn the early timeout at the start of the game. We dug too deep a hole.

Daz

Reaction Score
A great crowd at Gampel erupted in the second half as the team finally recognized their two best offensive players are Hawkins and Sanogo. Mr Hawkins brings us back with 26 points in the second half in a wire type game but we fall just short. We lost this game early.

After Hawkins and Sanogo led us back in the game, Danny benches both and Xavier ran off 5 points, and then moved the lead back to 11. What don’t we understand about riding the hot hand? But then we finally did learned that until late turnovers killed us.

We are approaching February and this team still doesn’t know it’s identity other than we don’t quit. Our centers are shooting over 58%, yet Danny still has failed to institute the double big, despite playing a zone defense.

What’s also became apparent is against physical teams one Big just doesn’t cut it. Xavier penetrated with ease and got second shots. We need to clog up the lane.

Jackson takes 8 shots to open up the game while Hawkins took 1. A woman reporter pressed Andre last game about why he wasn’t more offensive and I wonder if tonight’s out of character opening was some response to that?

Newton put some points on the board the first half and ending up with 21 points, kept us in the game until Hawkins got hot.

A very tough lose, Xavier repelled our runs. I think Danny needs to learn the early timeout at the start of the game. We dug too deep a hole.
Good analysis. Nice effort by Newton, but we really need a solid point guard.

Reaction Score
Team can’t get out of its own way…I can accidentally shoot better from 1/14 from 3…costly unforced turnovers and inability to play man to man….someone remind this team that the game is 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Great summary as usual. Agree too big a hole. Had no confidence we were going to pull a seton hall and only lead at the end. Heck we couldn’t even get a shot off when needed. Hurley is allergic to the 2 bigs. Jackson a liability when in a half court set offense. If DC was my son he may already be in the portal.

Reaction Score

We did NOT lose this game early. We cut it to one five different times. We are simply unable to perform with the game on the line. Until they do it, they can't.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've been harping on UConn needing to showcase Hawkins and make Sanogo a supporting player. Large part of run was putting Sanogo on perimeter and opening up the lane for dribble penetration.

Obviously deficit from first five minutes and throughout first half were too much to overcome.

Crazy enough I wish Jackson would have shot more and more aggressively first five minute of the game. They were slacking off him(for good reason) but he has tonthinknshot first.

All is not lost and there is a lot to look forward to and learn from this game.

Zone defense was really effective.

pj

Reaction Score

They are getting there. Playing zone is a step toward playing two bigs. They came back from a deficit for the first time this season. They played much better in the second half, as you say they got the ball to their scorers (Hawkins, Newton, Sanogo). They fought.

These are the kinds of games that build an identity. Some things (relying on Jackson for offense) failed miserably. Others worked. They will figure it out.

Reaction Score
Can someone give me a quick summary of what happened in the first 4 minutes? I missed it and just saw 9 - 0. What’s this about Jackson taking crazy shots?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Newton scored but his play was uneven. He is the farthest thing from a PG and the last 2 minutes was graphic proof. Again, the team needed his points so that was a positive. How do you not zip the ball at the front of the rim on that must miss FT? and DH doesn't tell him to? He left Boum open early in the game and the kid hits three 3s.

The officiating was a joke - not how they basically called the game but Jeff Anderson should never be allowed to ref a game again. He is a showman and a 1st class idiot. To allow that length of time to elapse with the Freemantle 5th foul took wind out of UConn - Screw Miller - if he and his staff doesn't keep track of fouls- its on him.

AS hasn't played D all season and it's really hurting this team. His goaltending and foul at the end was bad. DC didn't have a good game but he was playing against seasoned NBE players. I don't think this team can start a game with AJ taking 8 of 9 first shots. Miller left him open on purpose and it worked.

I am happy that UConn came back but a ranked team should be able to protect their home court - there is no moral victory tonight. They are now under .500 in the NBE. They cannot afford another league loss.

My Man Hawk got his points and played hard offensively. His charge late was a killer and he should have pulled up. He is beginning to go to the hoop with a purpose but still need him to go stronger and avoid the finger rolls.

7 days off and on to DePaul - no gimme game with the way the Blue Demons have been playing lately

Reaction Score
I don’t know why DH didn’t take a quick TO after the 5-0 deficit. Slow the momentum by Xavier and calm the team/Jackson down.

Calhoun did this many times in his career and it yielded good results. He let it go too long and the game got out of hand the crowd was neutralized

Reaction Score
At a timeout around 13 minutes left in the second half where we got within 1 I asked my friend if he would start making subs or keep it with the same 5 (they hadn’t been out yet). We both agreed to keep the same 5 in. At that point hurley took out Jackson for alleyne and we started to get behind again and then he continued to sub. Tough decision because the starters had been in the whole half but we really had momentum and then it stopped. We ended up getting within 1 again a couple times later in the game but it really felt like we had something at that point with 13 minutes left that could’ve gotten us a lead.

Reaction Score
It’s so funny , my mentality has gone from will we ever lose a game this season- back in December -to me being satisfied that they showed some heart and came back tonight and didn’t get blown out(2017-2020 mentality) Positives are: Hawkins and newton were aggressive going to the rack. They were the only ones that showed up tonight. And Hurley actually tried something different- a zone- god forbid he plays 2 bigs! I deff want to see more driving. I’ll live with the turnover / push off every 4 times to the hole. Dumb question, when Jackson and Newton get in the lane , why don’t they try to finish ? they always seem to have the easy drive right there and then pass it. Must’ve happened 4-5 times tonight. Ajax must’ve backrimmed about six shots tonight also. We got a nice week off to recharge than a couple “cupcakes”. In order for this team to make a run , Hurley is obviously going to have to make some adjustments: more zone ,driving to the hole ,get Sampson in there ,maybe experiment with two Biggs(omg) - but I really think the key is newton has to step up. And when I mean step up -I don’t mean he has to drop 18 to 20 a night -I just mean he has to get to the hole and draw fouls occasionally , make his free throws and play solid d- and maybe give me a couple threes a game. gonna need him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not generally a pessimist, but I don't see them winning much beyond DePaul and GT. The other 5 league games are tossups at this point. We could easily end up at 18-11 and squarely on the bubble going into the BET if we don't figure some things out.

Reaction Score
A woman reporter pressed Andre last game about why he wasn’t more offensive and I wonder if tonight’s out of character opening was some response to that?
Nick Young Wtf GIF

Reaction Score
Newton had a good game on offense. His defense neutralized his offense and I am being very kind

Reaction Score
Can someone give me a quick summary of what happened in the first 4 minutes? I missed it and just saw 9 - 0. What’s this about Jackson taking crazy shots?
X didn’t guard him at all. They gave him 15 feet of space and packed the lane so he took 4 wide open 3’s and missed them all. If he made even two of them, which he does sometimes, we’d be having a different conversation.

IMO, he had to take those shots. Otherwise, we are basically playing 4 on 5.

Reaction Score
We need the Sanogo that took over during the first run that cut it to 1. He was going over people to get rebounds. He was making the extra pass. He was very agressive and PHYSICAL, but under control.
Too bad the freedom of movement is called like it once was. Hawkins is constantly grabbed going around screens. He should be going to the line 10 times a game.
Jackson has to develop some kind of shot this offseason. The 3 pt shot is okay at times, but why go out and guard him until he starts hitting anything. Taliek Brown even developed a servicable foul line jumper.
I don't fault DH for taking Sanogo out when he did. Clingan has been pretty good all season and Sanogo was exerting a lot of energy in that run. Needed to give him just a breather.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom