Chief’s Briefs - Villanova Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Villanova Edition

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call that a high hedge. A high hedge pushes the opponent a lot further out. That's just a hedge which you do to allow your teammate to recover if you arent going to switch. Unless you switch, you have to hedge or your opponent has got a clear path to the basket.
What’s your idea of a high hedge, half court?
One foul was well above the 3 line. The bottom line is it doesn’t work whatever you choose to call or define it and Sanogo had a bad game as a result. I know we have our share of Soccer Dads here who love telling stories about Adama’s quick feet from his soccer days. But, a muscular 260 pound guy running to close from 20 feet away, can’t put the brakes on with the combination of speed and density of mass when the opponent makes just a little unexpected move or sometimes none at all. It is basic Physics!

Reaction Score
Surprised to see Jackson taunting again. He needs to break that habit immediately. It’s not a good look and not what you want from the team leader.
Thought he was on the verge of losing his cool again when he got the tie-up (with Slater) on the floor and a jump ball was called. He kept trying to rip it away after the whistle blew.

That said, I’m predicting AJax doesn’t get another T this year…Hmmm, on second thought, he’ll get T’d in the BE tourney. Shaka Smart instigated.

Reaction Score
Larry Bird was a noteorious trash talker. All part of the game. Ts should have have gone both ways.

That said Dre be the great leader that you are and let your talent speak for itself

Chief great Briefs. Look for them after every game.

Reaction Score
Actually bigern was ejected first that game, his fault for this mess.

Also whatever happened to Diamond Stone?
Didn’t that Diamond thread have the most posts in board history?

Reaction Score
They shot threes. They didn't make them. Hurley decided to leave Dixon one on one and press the three point line. It worked they were 5-22 from the arc. Dixon had the illusion of a good game but he was 6-16. Not very efficient.
I am so sick of watching Villanova's best play........banging their shoulders into our defenders as they back them down towards the basket.
Just once (or more if it works) I'd like to see our defender quickly spin out of the way as the second or third violent bump is about to happen and watch Dixon/Daniels/Whoever travel or fall over their own feet.

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority but I can live with a few Ajax T's if it means he keeps his "rip your heart out of your chest and shove it down your throat" mentality all year. As long as it doesnt happen at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Larry Bird was a noteorious trash talker. All part of the game. Ts should have have gone both ways.

That said Dre be the great leader that you are and let your talent speak for itself

Chief great Briefs. Look for them after every game.
Thank you and true about Larry. Suggest that Andre focus on building the resume first. But, also true is the refs need to be consistent and “T” trashing talking from the Villanova bench towards Andre about his shooting. Allowing that, Andre has a right to retaliate after making a shot. However, a right and should he are two different things.

Reaction Score
What’s your idea of a high hedge, half court?
One foul was well above the 3 line. The bottom line is it doesn’t work whatever you choose to call or define it and Sanogo had a bad game as a result. I know we have our share of Soccer Dads here who love telling stories about Adama’s quick feet from his soccer days. But, a muscular 260 pound guy running to close from 20 feet away, can’t put the brakes on with the combination of speed and density of mass when the opponent makes just a little unexpected move or sometimes none at all. It is basic Physics!

On the foul you were originally talking about he was neither running to close nor coming off a high screen. It was an iso with Slater.

Here is the shot just before Slater, who was playing as Nova's 5 at the time, got the ball.

Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 4.51.35 PM.png

And just in case you want to try to backtrack, here is your original quote: "Not to bring up the high hedge again, but it materially negatively impacted the game again. Sanogo’s foul on a three point shot 23 feet away from the basket and then the first half bench time of your top player is [sic] an ingredient you want."

Reaction Score
I am so sick of watching Villanova's best play........banging their shoulders into our defenders as they back them down towards the basket.
Just once (or more if it works) I'd like to see our defender quickly spin out of the way as the second or third violent bump is about to happen and watch Dixon/Daniels/Whoever travel or fall over their own feet.
I was thinking the same thing about stepping back and the opponent needs to call attention to the shoulder.

Reaction Score
On the foul you were originally talking about he was neither running to close nor coming off a high screen. It was an iso with Slater.

Here is the shot just before Slater, who was playing as Nova's 5 at the time, got the ball.
And just in case you want to try to backtrack, here is your original quote: "Not to bring up the high hedge again, but it materially negatively impacted the game again. Sanogo’s foul on a three point shot 23 feet away from the basket and then the first half bench time of your top player is [sic] an ingredient you want."
I think my description was very accurate per picture. He’s about 23 feet from the basket and Adama is still in a running mode with one foot before the other rather than a defensive mode with feet spread horizontal. Thanks for the photo, it reinforces my eye test.

Reaction Score
I think my description was very accurate per picture. He’s about 23 feet from the basket and Adama is still in a running mode with one foot before the other rather than a defensive mode with feet spread horizontal. Thanks for the photo, it reinforces my eye test.

I’ll give you a B for effort, but the response really doesn’t even deserve that. There was no high screen to be found. And he wasn’t running at anyone — Slater was in that spot for a good three seconds with Sanogo standing right where he was.

I was right when I said the high hedge had nothing to do with it, and I’m right now.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t a high hedge, there was no screen. He was guarding his man just like he should have been…his guy he was guarding just happens to be able to step out and knock down 3’s

Reaction Score
I’ll give you a B for effort, but the response really doesn’t even deserve that. There was no high screen to be found. And he wasn’t running at anyone — Slater was in that spot for a good three seconds with Sanogo standing right where he was.

I was right when I said the high hedge had nothing to do with it, and I’m right now.
Sanogo is out there due to his responsibilities in our defensive scheme. What good comes from him being in that zip code ever?

Reaction Score
It wasn’t a high hedge, there was no screen. He was guarding his man just like he should have been…his guy he was guarding just happens to be able to step out and knock down 3’s
Again, he’s out there because it could turn into a high hedge if the offense becomes that. It is not necessary to be out that far, and his man is a good 3 feet beyond the line - take your chances and play more fundamental D.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is out there due to his responsibilities in our defensive scheme. What good comes from him being in that zip code ever?

So when the other team plays 5 out with 5 shooters Sanogo should just camp in the paint. Got it.

You should just admit to your situation. There would be more dignity in it.

Reaction Score
So when the other team plays 5 out with 5 shooters Sanogo should just camp in the paint. Got it.

You should just admit to your situation. There would be more dignity in it.
There is no need to aggressively extend that far out. Larry Bird did not walk through the door. Slater is a 32% three guy and he is 3 feet beyond the line at its furthest point in that photo. So maybe 25% from there? For Adama, it is important to stay away from the fouls.
If they want to try to beat us with Slater shooting 3’s from 23-25 feet out. Let them try.

Reaction Score
More - Both Hawkins and Sanogo are shooting 41% from 3, compared to Slater’s 32%. In comparison UConn’s Jackson shoots a fairly similar 30%. Would many here want Andre to try to beat our opponents from 23 feet away where the % is even lower than the 3 line at 20 feet.

pj

Reaction Score

Two questions:
  • If Sanogo isn't going to play man-to-man on a center who can step out and knock down 3's, what's your defensive scheme?
  • Danny's individual plan for Sanogo is to prove he can be an NBA 4 (make 3's and guard the perimeter). How can he develop an ability to guard the perimeter if he never does it? How can he prove his ability if he doesn't do it in games?

pj

Reaction Score
More - Both Hawkins and Sanogo are shooting 41% from 3, compared to Slater’s 32%. In comparison UConn’s Jackson shoots a fairly similar 30%. Would many here want Andre to try to beat our opponents from 23 feet away where the % is even lower than the 3 line at 20 feet.

Now it sounds like you don't object to Sanogo defending at the 3 point line, only to going beyond it. That's a rather different point than opposition to high hedging, and a mistake that's easily addressed with a little video watching and coaching tip.

Reaction Score
Now it sounds like you don't object to Sanogo defending at the 3 point line, only to going beyond it. That's a rather different point than opposition to high hedging, and a mistake that's easily addressed with a little video watching and coaching tip.

In that same picture another one of our defenders was a few feet inside the 3 line. I am comfortable with that for Adama, but not playing a guy 3 feet beyond it who probably shoots less than 30% from that distance. Let Slater try to beat us from there. What our wonderful Casual Fans need to understand is our opponents are not stupid with Adama they design the offense setup for the high hedge further out than usual. The defense does NOT dictate where the high hedge happens, but the offense does - assuming we are committed to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom