Chief’s Briefs - USF | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - USF

C

Chief00

Ollie was asked about Larry in the post game. He says he speaks with him after almost every game. He indicated his friends son is being recruited for the golf team. Wish Larry would give him a tip or two. Brilliant coach. Maybe he help us beat SMU. Already under investigation so can't hurt there.

There you have proof of Chief’s comment a few weeks ago - KO speaks to LB after almost every game. The rift with Calhoun is deep.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
USF, the same team that lost to Eastern Michigan by 18 and 7th place Sun Belt team, Appalachian State (10-15 record) by 25...You can't make this stuff up.
Some teams get better as the season progresses.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

Is Ollie legally blind, or just living in an alternate universe in which we cannot physically perceive?

Reaction Score
DO was abused on the defensive end and managed 1 defensive rebound. But he filled up the energy stat column. And he was awesome with energy on the foul line where he was 0-3.

Carlton was much better on defensive end in fewer minutes.

Reaction Score
I missed that. When was this?
As a junior shouldn’t he be better then Freshman? Enoch needed footwork training he had the tools .
size strength. Even a little touch
Playing This game for a Big is largely footwork.Epecially on D . Without it you reach and lean which results in a PF

Reaction Score
The inability to rebound off the offensive glass is directly correlated with no player movement and too many not in position to go to the glass. They are out at the perimeter and bigs are setting high post screens. Literally nobody is within 12 feet of the rim. Because we don't have any low post threat and the bigs can't shoot 12-15 footers, the D can sluff off and be in position to rebound nearly uncontested. This is bad offensive design. I watched a number of 3 balls from the corner take long bounces to the other side with players standing in the opposite corner and not moving to the glass on the shot and being boxed out of position. It's just really horrible coaching of fundamentals. I'm sorry but I can deal with missed shots, but I can't deal with garbage offensive sets, players out of position, no ball or player movement. There is so much wasted and non-purposeful energy, it's nuts.

C

Chief00

DO was abused on the defensive end and managed 1 defensive rebound. But he filled up the energy stat column. And he was awesome with energy on the foul line where he was 0-3.

Carlton was much better on defensive end in fewer minutes.

It’s relative bad - as a team we gave up 24 second chance points - Diarra was in foul trouble the whole game and Dave fouled out. Carlton was 0-2 from the line compared to Dave’s 0-3. I liked Carlton, especially the way he keeps the ball high and he did get 6 rebounds. I just thought Dave bodied up more in the post. I agree his foul shot form and result is beyond bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The team overall does a lousy job of boxing out on the defensive end. How that is not worked on more is beyond me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, full disclosure, due to icy conditions I did not make the trip. So unfortunately, my observations will be from watching TV:

- We don’t move the ball on offense, and take quick shots that lead to scores down the other end.

- Once again we are getting killed on the USF offensive boards. How many second chance points have we given up this year?

- Dave O is looking good and playing with fluidity and power very early - then hits the bench and doesn’t show anything after that. Particularly, his help defense resulted in fouls and missed foul shots. But, he was a big body.

- Larrier’s shot is looking relatively
smooth - similar to earlier this season. We need Adams, Larrier and Vital to all play well to have enough of offensive juice. Tonight Jalen played well, Vital
came on late and Larrier was ok.

- Whaley really has to work on his shot from the field - he has no confidence and his form is very poor. Ironically though, his foul shooting form and shot looked really good tonight.

- Adams doesn’t shoot well when his momentum takes him to the baseline for a fall away. These are usually failed drives and rather than a fade away baseline shot - he needs to send it back out for an offensive reset.

- Agree with the TV commentator - UConn is sending no one to the offensive boards.

- To the point Chief made a couple of weeks ago - back to the wall - who comes in to rescue KO - not Jim Calhoun but Larry Brown. Interesting.

Chief’s furious fives:
1) Poor shot selection, poor shooting
2) Don’t defend 3’s
3) Give up offensive rebounds leading to second half points - 24 second choice points
4) Unforced turnovers
5) No inbounds plays leading to points

A win is a win!
Can we make it the "sickening six" and add "no boxing out." It overlaps 3 but it is still valid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He might have only had one rebound in 17 minutes, but hey, he expended a lot of energy in doing so.
I know this was sarcasm but there is some truth to it. Forcing opposing bigs to bang with a big body has value.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, full disclosure, due to icy conditions I did not make the trip. So unfortunately, my observations will be from watching TV:

- We don’t move the ball on offense, and take quick shots that lead to scores down the other end.

- Once again we are getting killed on the USF offensive boards. How many second chance points have we given up this year?

- Dave O is looking good and playing with fluidity and power very early - then hits the bench and doesn’t show anything after that. Particularly, his help defense resulted in fouls and missed foul shots. But, he was a big body.

smooth - similar to earlier this season. We need Adams, Larrier and Vital to all play well to have enough of offensive juice. Tonight Jalen played well, Vital

- Whaley really has to work on his shot from the field - he has no confidence and his form is very poor. Ironically though, his foul shooting form and shot looked really good tonight.

- Adams doesn’t shoot well when his momentum takes him to the baseline for a fall away. These are usually failed drives and rather than a fade away baseline shot - he needs to send it back out for an offensive reset.

- Agree with the TV commentator - UConn is sending no one to the offensive boards.

- To the point Chief made a couple of weeks ago - back to the wall - who comes in to rescue KO - not Jim Calhoun but Larry Brown. Interesting.

Chief’s furious fives:
2) Don’t defend 3’s
3) Give up offensive rebounds leading to second half points - 24 second choice points
4) Unforced turnovers

A win is a win!
5 is odd because early on he was credited for being masterful out of timeouts with scoring plays.
As far as mr brown. Perhaps it just comes down to a longer working relationship outside of Connecticut. Regardless, I can bet if he found his way on our staff in place of say Ricky or killings, another year or two for that matter would surely be considered as it would show a real sense of need. Josh McDaniel just turned down the colts job to stay as an oc even with head coach experience. Ego aside it speaks volumes.

Reaction Score
There you have proof of Chief’s comment a few weeks ago - KO speaks to LB after almost every game. The rift with Calhoun is deep.
Or the Love was not as passionate. See espns the two bills

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The inability to rebound off the offensive glass is directly correlated with no player movement and too many not in position to go to the glass. They are out at the perimeter and bigs are setting high post screens. Literally nobody is within 12 feet of the rim. Because we don't have any low post threat and the bigs can't shoot 12-15 footers, the D can sluff off and be in position to rebound nearly uncontested. This is bad offensive design. I watched a number of 3 balls from the corner take long bounces to the other side with players standing in the opposite corner and not moving to the glass on the shot and being boxed out of position. It's just really horrible coaching of fundamentals. I'm sorry but I can deal with missed shots, but I can't deal with garbage offensive sets, players out of position, no ball or player movement. There is so much wasted and non-purposeful energy, it's nuts.

Yep, potential off. rebounders are taking photos. DO, all 6'9" 260 plus DO, plays scared. For the life of me, I will never understand why he refuses to pursue the rebound, whether offensively or defensively. Play Diarra, at least he's aggressive. DO is out there just running up and down in a never-ending suicide drill.

C

Chief00

5 is odd because early on he was credited for being masterful out of timeouts with scoring plays.
As far as mr brown. Perhaps it just comes down to a longer working relationship outside of Connecticut. Regardless, I can bet if he found his way on our staff in place of say Ricky or killings, another year or two for that matter would surely be considered as it would show a real sense of need. Josh McDaniel just turned down the colts job to stay as an oc even with head coach experience. Ego aside it speaks volumes.
Quite frankly, I think I can only remember once all year that we scored directly off an inbounds pass. Running a set for 20 seconds may be another matter but I don’t consider that an “inbounds play”. I am open to be wrong about this, if someone can pull up some video clips.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Chief’s furious fives:
2) Don’t defend 3’s
4) Unforced turnovers

A win is a win!
Quite frankly how does the leading scorer in the first half get three looks in the second? By the end of the game I was pulling for USF and Tsam

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom