Chief’s Briefs - St John’s Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - St John’s Edition

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He picked up a BS foul on the next play and Hurley had to take him out. That one is not on Hurley any coach would have taken him out there.

Hurley had short leashes with both Ball and Castle, although he let Castle stay in longer especially when was the backup 4 to Alex.
When you have a struggling shooter finally see a 3 go thru the hoop I say let him stay in with 3 fouls to shoot another. DH needs to trust his returning players.

This was a huge win because going 0-2 in conference is not the way to go. Castle showed late what he can do - just let him play. Diarra was Mr. Hustle last night and came up with a few big plays. Cam and SJ were co-players of the game - they came to play. Stewart needs PT and UConn needs Stewart.

Officiating was it's usual NBE horrible. DH better watch shaking his fists at the officials - not a good look. Don't blame him at all for being aggravated but he needs to cool his jets a bit

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be fair, one official in the SJ game twice corrected his colleague's call in favor of the home team. Nice move.
They probably took him out back and let him know the error of his ways after the game.

UConn isn’t going to get calls until we start thumping people. I don’t mean the score, I mean hard fouls. Dan had that long session jawing with two refs, and I am a good lip reader. He seemed to be suggesting that what they are letting go is dangerous for the kids. The reality of non-calls on physical fouls is that teams will just keep escalating until it does get called. That’s how people get hurt.

Reaction Score
Cam still has to get better on defense. The 2 turnovers in a row were awful. I would believe to a man he would tell anyone he was embarrassed by that 30 seconds of play. He also needs to stop drifting on the perimeter when the ball goes in to a big sometimes. Still love his "old man's" game at the offensive end.

I just don't get how the Big East is able to do anything about the refs. It hurts the Big East name & product. I don't get Karaban and Johnson be called for a touch foul on Soriano and yet Soriano got away with just putting his hand in Karaban and Johnson's chest and trying to shove them out of the way. It wasn't even in the guise of posting up. Newton also got bumped (almost out of bounds) and nothing was called. There maybe next to no charges this year, but 'freedom of movement' is no longer a thing either.

I think a key going forward, in the absence of Clingan, is trying to get Johnson involved in a positive play early on. When he gets that fast start, it gives him so much confidence, and when he makes a mistake early, he seems to have trouble letting go moving on to the next play.

Castle has to start hitting some shots other layups and putbacks. He was very solid on the boards and on defense when they let him play.

I know it helps the conference to sell a coach, but if they are going to gush about Pitino, they need to bring up the shady stuff too. I remember Calhoun detractors bringing up how the was found guilty of failure to monitor and promote an atmosphere of compliance, and the phone calls and crap were much less shady than what was going on under Pitino's watch at Louisville.

Finally, while I though he was less than good for most of the game, Hassan stepped up in the last minutes of the game and if not flat out made some plays, helped make things real tough for St. Johns at the end.
We have seen these 3 refs fairly consistently over the last few years. They are consistently——inconsistent.

Reaction Score
A couple of those were right in front of me. He got hammered.
I was unable to make the game, due to a family Christmas obligation. But, watching on TV, I agree both Cam and Tristen were repeatedly fouled in the first half with no calls.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
They probably took him out back and let him know the error of his ways after the game.

UConn isn’t going to get calls until we start thumping people. I don’t mean the score, I mean hard fouls. Dan had that long session jawing with two refs, and I am a good lip reader. He seemed to be suggesting that what they are letting go is dangerous for the kids. The reality of non-calls on physical fouls is that teams will just keep escalating until it does get called. That’s how people get hurt.
Our guys did end up on the arses under the basket!!

Reaction Score
I agree on Stephon. I did note his rebounding, and him making key defensive plays. He will do well in Big East play because of his skills, strength and size. Plus he’s very hard working and competitive.

Reaction Score
Cam still has to get better on defense. The 2 turnovers in a row were awful. I would believe to a man he would tell anyone he was embarrassed by that 30 seconds of play. He also needs to stop drifting on the perimeter when the ball goes in to a big sometimes. Still love his "old man's" game at the offensive end.

I just don't get how the Big East is able to do anything about the refs. It hurts the Big East name & product. I don't get Karaban and Johnson be called for a touch foul on Soriano and yet Soriano got away with just putting his hand in Karaban and Johnson's chest and trying to shove them out of the way. It wasn't even in the guise of posting up. Newton also got bumped (almost out of bounds) and nothing was called. There maybe next to no charges this year, but 'freedom of movement' is no longer a thing either.

I think a key going forward, in the absence of Clingan, is trying to get Johnson involved in a positive play early on. When he gets that fast start, it gives him so much confidence, and when he makes a mistake early, he seems to have trouble letting go moving on to the next play.

Castle has to start hitting some shots other layups and putbacks. He was very solid on the boards and on defense when they let him play.

I know it helps the conference to sell a coach, but if they are going to gush about Pitino, they need to bring up the shady stuff too. I remember Calhoun detractors bringing up how the was found guilty of failure to monitor and promote an atmosphere of compliance, and the phone calls and crap were much less shady than what was going on under Pitino's watch at Louisville.

Finally, while I though he was less than good for most of the game, Hassan stepped up in the last minutes of the game and if not flat out made some plays, helped make things real tough for St. Johns at the end.
RE: the officials. I was watching a promo that the Big East released and it talked about how physical the league is. The sad part is I believe this is the product that the Big East wants to promote. That it's still the same old school physical Big East that it always was despite it leading to a very poor form of basketball on the floor. There are about 3 people total on Seton Hall that even look in shape. I know this is a St. Johns post game thread but that really stuck with me watching the previous game. The refs neutralized our skill and conditioning advantage over them and that leads to bad basketball. Same with Marquette, they are head and shoulders above Providence. I know the Dunk is a great home court advantage but that was a horrific game to watch. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since you brought Ricky P. He should have been tee’d up for his hair color. Does he really think it’s a good look?
Older folks need to match hair color with the age of the face. At a certain point, the only thing that matches is grey. Go with it.

Reaction Score
Just watched the latest Andre Jackson highlights and interviews. Gets me very excited to see Castle in a month, we should be starting to get a peek at what he is going to bring to the table in late Feb and March. Let Clingan rest!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Since you brought Ricky P. He should have been tee’d up for his hair color. Does he really think it’s a good look?
Do you have any idea of how many foxes are running around bald because of that hairweave?

Screenshot 2023-12-25 103915.png

Reaction Score
RE: the officials. I was watching a promo that the Big East released and it talked about how physical the league is. The sad part is I believe this is the product that the Big East wants to promote. That it's still the same old school physical Big East that it always was despite it leading to a very poor form of basketball on the floor. There are about 3 people total on Seton Hall that even look in shape. I know this is a St. Johns post game thread but that really stuck with me watching the previous game. The refs neutralized our skill and conditioning advantage over them and that leads to bad basketball. Same with Marquette, they are head and shoulders above Providence. I know the Dunk is a great home court advantage but that was a horrific game to watch. Just my 2 cents
You get the sense that the league is more invested in promoting its "old school, physical basketball" reputation/narrative than to put out a product that is appealing to watch and showcases its best teams.

Reaction Score
You get the sense that the league is more invested in promoting its "old school, physical basketball" reputation/narrative than to put out a product that is appealing to watch and showcases its best teams.
Correct and succinctly put

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you have a struggling shooter finally see a 3 go thru the hoop I say let him stay in with 3 fouls to shoot another. DH needs to trust his returning players.

This was a huge win because going 0-2 in conference is not the way to go. Castle showed late what he can do - just let him play. Diarra was Mr. Hustle last night and came up with a few big plays. Cam and SJ were co-players of the game - they came to play. Stewart needs PT and UConn needs Stewart.

Officiating was it's usual NBE horrible. DH better watch shaking his fists at the officials - not a good look. Don't blame him at all for being aggravated but he needs to cool his jets a bit
Good points.

Reaction Score
Even back on the Calhoun era, Pittsburgh would benefit from Big East reffing allowing grabbing and holding but then implode during the NCAA tournament with national rules, I am all for physical play and but allowing all the grabbing is wrong. I also think they need to be consistent when guys are in the act of shooting, how much contact they allow. There was a glaring inconsistency during the first half on how that was called,

Reaction Score
At some point the media needs to hold the commissioner accountable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom