Chief’s Briefs - SH / Big East Refs Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SH / Big East Refs Edition

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My first in person game since Covid and was looking forward to seeing Clingan and also Castle on Kadary. Ouch they had no answer for Clingan but Stephon looked every bit the freshman deer in the headlights. Give SH credit they defended us so much better than we them

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's one game so I'm not going to let it bother me, BUT

1. When your guards are slow a foot on D and get taken to the hoop on every opposition possession, perhaps its time to throw a zone D and not that crazy 1/3/1. Danny needs to learn how to coach a variety of defenses. Newton and Spencer just have to have another defensive gear than neutral.
2. Seton Hall was quick on their toes and had an overall game plan/prep that was superior. I hate to use the term outcoached but that is exactly what happened. Hall switched things up consistently and UConn was off guard most of the night. Hall basically knew everything that UConn did on offense. Halloway showed he can coach at this level.
3. Would it have hurt to try Ross or Stewart out there for a few minutes?
4. Newton had better stop reading his headlines and lead by example - this team needs it badly
5. I like SJ but tonight he looked like a deer in the headlights - as did Spencer, AK - veterans that shouldn't be like that.
6. Better not develop into a team where depth will be an issue going forward.
7. Castle should be starting instead of Solo - his defensive presence is needed in the NBE - I know his offense will come quickly.
8. The officiating didn't cost UConn the game but it sure didn't help. The NBE refs show UConn zero respect and there may be a small percentage of good reason why but it is getting real old.
Better be prepared for Saturday....................................................................

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for the way that Hurley has developed this program/roster just seems now that’s there a decent amount of data as Chief mentioned the style UConn plays with is not a great fit of how these Big East Games are played & called. The physicality is insane- every time you touch the ball you are getting bumped without a whistle.

Rightfully so the program Hurley created is more based on skill & execution than whatever basketball you want to call this- it’s definitely physical but it’s more than that & I don’t have a perfect word for it.

No surpise here in regards to tonight’s results- we are now in conference play which is nothing like the basketball that gets played around the country. We will take our lumps once again in conference play- hopefully similar to last year this will make us stronger & more mentally tough so we are ready for the tourney.

The Nova team before Jay Wright retired & now this UConn team have a lot of similar qualities & results.

Reaction Score
Castle will be good eventually but where’s his offensive game? And he got turned over with his passes tonight too. You can go to the NBA with what we’ve seen so far? He needs 2 seasons minimum.
I'm a little concerned how our half court slows down when Castle comes in the game. He plays more iso one-on-on, which is needed at times, but he needs to learn to be more decisive when he catches the ball. I hope it's more rust.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
3. Would it have hurt to try Ross or Stewart out there for a few minutes?
It’s almost too late at this point for these guys. It’s going to be hard to try and get them up to speed during Big East play if it’s going to be this tough.

Personally, wish we would’ve developed Ross more during the Non-Conference for his defensive ability and athleticism at the bare minimum. Would’ve been good to be able to throw his energy and length at guys when giving Karaban a breather.

Reaction Score
It’s almost too late at this point for these guys. It’s going to be hard to try and get them up to speed during Big East play if it’s going to be this tough.

Personally, wish we would’ve developed Ross more during the Non-Conference for his defensive ability and athleticism at the bare minimum. Would’ve been good to be able to throw his energy and length at guys when giving Karaban a breather.
You can’t schedule top teams AND expect to develop your incoming freshmen.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You can’t schedule top teams AND expect to develop your incoming freshmen.
We played a lot more games than that that could’ve prepared them to contribute in those games.

They don’t need 20 mins against those guys. But they didn’t have any role at all to settle into.

Reaction Score
We played a lot more games than that that could’ve prepared them to contribute in those games.

They don’t need 20 mins against those guys. But they didn’t have any role at all to settle into.
He had 8-9 guys playing. You wanted 12?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He had 8-9 guys playing. You wanted 12?
No man. Hurley has said himself that he needs to find a way to give Karaban more of a breather. He should’ve used all the non-conference (including the tough games if you feel like we are going to need them in tough games this season) to develop either one of Ross or Stewart.

It never made sense to not trust those guys at all in those games if we were going to need them later.

Reaction Score
We were up by 10 and the refs changed the tempo of the game, then give Seton Hall credit they took advantage of Clingan on the bench and then his injury.
Refs weren’t great but how did they change the tempo?

We were a disaster whenever Clingan was off the court. He took himself off the court in the first half with two legit fouls.

Reaction Score
Clingan: very good
Diarra: pretty good(nice drives)
Newton (decent) came off rails a bit during garbage time last 5 minutes -6 TOs
Ball: decent - made his free throws couple frosh mistakes
Castle: not great at all but showed flashes and made some good defensive plays
Karaban: awful and got worked on D by a random 4 man
Spencer: fairly awful
Samson: not great

Reaction Score
No man. Hurley has said himself that he needs to find a way to give Karaban more of a breather. He should’ve used all the non-conference (including the tough games if you feel like we are going to need them in tough games this season) to develop either one of Ross or Stewart.

It never made sense to not trust those guys at all in those games if we were going to need them later.
I thought it was Danny’s plan to use Samson to back up both Don and Alex.
And this is where I miss Richie Springs.

Reaction Score
I’m SUPER down on Sampson, it’s amazing that people thought he could play the 4.

I’d be shocked if he has dribbled more than 10 times this year. He can catch a lob or two, but as a junior former top 50 prospect, I’m just shocked of how little game he has.

Reaction Score
Refs were bad, but when Clingan wasn’t in game it was like a layup drill for Seton Hall. We simply had no one to defend the rim, and no one who could get a contested rebound. Karaban was out there scrapping for defensive boards, but no one else was. Seton Hall turned it into a wrestling match and players not named Clingan were not ready to play that game. First time for Samson, Spencer, and freshman playing that type of game.
I think the clunky shooting and sloppy turnovers they will fix, but I am worried if Clingan misses time, if SJ is strong enough to battle for contested defensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder if a lineup that has Karaban Ball Newton and Spencer is good enough defensively. If Clingan is out and Samson is in there, then major adjustments need to be made.

Spencer is 4/19 from 3 in the three games where UConn has faced the most ball pressure (Texas, Kansas, and Seton Hall). I really hope he can hold his own against the Big East Schedule because Seton Hall got him out of his rhythm very easily.

UConn better figure it out fast because they cannot guard the ball and there’s about 7 other teams in the big east with better guards than they saw tonight.

Reaction Score

I don’t understand your obsession with the younger guys. Hurley proved this to you with guys like Diggins. If they were ready they would be playing. He also has to allow the first 7 guys to build rapport.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
UConn - Welcome to the Big East / 4 foul shots to 15 before garbage time. Our best player on the bench for a good part of the game. We are not playing an elite team but no worries the Big East refs will take care of it. And as a result Clingan injuried his foot/ankle.

Why are we playing in this league with a lousy Commissioner is beyond me. For the first time I am revealing that Brian O’Connell bad mouthed Hurley at a charity event a couple years ago.

When the fouls add up, we sit guys, get out of our rotations and lose our chemistry.

Having said this, we had guys that did not respond. Karaban had a rough game and not only did he miss most of his shots / his shot looked terrible. Alex needs to come out aggressive and make them play his game rather than react to the guy he’s coveting.

Johnson had his worse game of the year. He rushed everything and did not play with the poise or motor that we have seen. Spencer let the bad calls impact his play. Karaban was 3-12 and Spencer 2 for 7. 19% from three doesn’t cut it.

Give Richmond credit, he played very well and is a tough match up for Alex. I thought Castle should have played him more. Clingan, Newton and Castle were our best players but Clingan was limited by fouls and the injury. Davis played well for Seton Hall.
Well that is how you get to the line. DRIVE. Tat is all they did. Give credit to The Hall's game plan. Well though out and successful. The way they took it to the basket was not surprise to me. Teams have done the same to us but not at this magnitude. Seems we could not do the same. Even last year I aske why it was so easy for others to drive against us. I haven't looked at the stats yet. How many deep shot shots did SH even take. Never mind made. The foul difference could be we didn't take it to the basket? Couldn't shoot threes and and no drive.
Congrats to SH with a great game plan. They stayed with it all game.

We got our butt kicked plan and simple.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
For a long stretch in the second half, every time Brian O'Connell blew his whistle, Seton Hall celebrated. And he was the only one blowing his whistle

He is a POS

Having said that. Good athletes executed their game plan and played tough, they beat us with one on one ball. They're not deep, we'll beat them in a rematch

Clingan was our player of the game. In only 14 minutes. Enough said

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Tbh with our offense I don’t know if we’d be able to put two bigs on the floor together. Samson hasn’t shown any ability outside of 5’ offensively.

Springs would’ve been nice to have in case of injury like last night. Putting him or SJ at the 4 would probably be like 2021 again except neither aren’t as good as Whaley at anything.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn - Welcome to the Big East / 4 foul shots to 15 before garbage time. Our best player on the bench for a good part of the game. We are not playing an elite team but no worries the Big East refs will take care of it. And as a result Clingan injuried his foot/ankle.

Why are we playing in this league with a lousy Commissioner is beyond me. For the first time I am revealing that Brian O’Connell bad mouthed Hurley at a charity event a couple years ago.

When the fouls add up, we sit guys, get out of our rotations and lose our chemistry.

Having said this, we had guys that did not respond. Karaban had a rough game and not only did he miss most of his shots / his shot looked terrible. Alex needs to come out aggressive and make them play his game rather than react to the guy he’s coveting.

Johnson had his worse game of the year. He rushed everything and did not play with the poise or motor that we have seen. Spencer let the bad calls impact his play. Karaban was 3-12 and Spencer 2 for 7. 19% from three doesn’t cut it.

Give Richmond credit, he played very well and is a tough match up for Alex. I thought Castle should have played him more. Clingan, Newton and Castle were our best players but Clingan was limited by fouls and the injury. Davis played well for Seton Hall.
For those people saying we played a terrible game and the refs weren’t the issue, that’s a half truth. Just like PC last year, our team never adjusted to the fact that the opponent could bump, grab and foul us. We were comfortably ahead early and then Seton Hall started aggressively fouling with no calls. Our guys got frustrated and it took them out of the game mentally. So yes they stopped moving and moving the ball, but that’s what happens when your understanding of the rules of the game are upended midway through the first half.

It isn‘t an excuse. It’s an explanation and they need to learn how to win games like this.

Reaction Score
Refereeing was predictable and I said that in a thread pregame. The Hall grabs, tugs and bumps through most every pick but this was allowed. There’s no way on earth they can review that tape and give the Huskies just 2 seconds on the shot clock after no one was able to see it counting down that was a pathetic result. Having said that it had little to do with the outcome.

You saw what we hope will be a terrible reaction to what they will see in the Big East. Besides Clingan no one played well at all. Hate to say Newton was potentially the worst he made some horrible decisions and unlike him rushed things. He threw a slew of terrible passes putting himself in trouble too often. And from there it just dominoe’d.

One can only hope DC is alright or we’re looking at a long season. Johnson was lost, ineffective for the first time. He got banged out of his spot multiple times and not in position to help on the drivers to the hoop.

Don’t care what anyone says but when you’re getting beat that badly and that consistently you need to mix in a zone here and there, make them make perimeter shots. And not that 1-3-1 which leaves room anyway. Pack in a 2-3 and let’s make them uncomfortable or at least try to. And in the man give space, stay under the pick and give them the jumper don’t let them turn the corner and get that step in you.

It’s coming again Saturday get used to it. Rick will watch this tape and beat us up with his 10 deep crew and not care about foul trouble one bit.

Let’s see how we respond to what will become the Big East norm.

Reaction Score
For those people saying we played a terrible game and the refs weren’t the issue, that’s a half truth. Just like PC last year, our team never adjusted to the fact that the opponent could bump, grab and foul us. We were comfortably ahead early and then Seton Hall started aggressively fouling with no calls. Our guys got frustrated and it took them out of the game mentally. So yes they stopped moving and moving the ball, but that’s what happens when your understanding of the rules of the game are upended midway through the first half.

It isn‘t an excuse. It’s an explanation and they need to learn how to win games like this.
Can we stop putting this on the refs? What non-calls did you want in the first half? Can make the argument that Newton was fouled on the drive that they called a jump ball maybe. Other than that I’m struggling to see where we got hosed by the refs on that big seton hall run.

We went up 10 and then completely sucked on defense. We had 2 or 3 defensive stops in the final 8:30 of the first half and one was a missed layup by Richmond where he blew by Newton.

Our offense was atrocious over that same stretch, particularly when Clingan wasn’t in the game. We missed two wide open threes during that Hall run and then Clingan left and we dribbled the ball around the perimeter for entire possessions.

UConn will be fine. The loss sucks, but not going to win many games when we play D like that last night.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I expected this TBH, don't love it but not surprised. I fully expect DH to counter this style of play over time - this was similar to Kansas IMO where they guarded UConn super tight and took them out of their expected rhythm. I would have liked to have seen the 3pt line left more unguarded and pack the paint since SH wasn't shooting anything outside and was jamming the inside but without Clingan we're pretty week under the basket. St John's may be another loss, I figured it was one/other/both, but I expect the team to recover and come up with some gameplans and get back on track. I'm not panicking but we definitely were exposed just like last year.

GO HUSKIES!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom