Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition

Reaction Score
When you shoot 50% in the first half with a 3.3 assist to turnover ratio, and a 7 rebound advantage you expect to have the lead and we did but 12% 3 point shooting held us back as Karaban’s slump continued in the first half. In the second half Alex cut more rather than standing on the 3 line and that opened everything up more for him and others. A 30 point win clinic then ensued and 56% shooting over-all.

Clingan (19 pts) , Castle (21 pts) , and Newton (17 pts) carried the load today most of the way until Karaban/Spencer heated up in the second half. All three score points and got to the FT line and performed well there 13/17. Donovan blocked 5 shots and had 11 rebounds and Tristen dished 10 assists. Castle was 9/12 FG and 3/4 FT.

Clingan looked very good. His offensive post game is very underrated. Donovan has developed an excellent baby hook at various locations. He can also use the box on bank shots from either side and of course can convert at the rim. On defense Donovan changes the game in the paint. Today he blocked shots but also changed numerous other shots. I also think his foul and jump shot are soft with good rotation. If his feet are healthy, he is definitely a high lottery pick.

Castle played like a pro. Enjoy watching him during his time here.

The other guy who impressed was Diarra. He made contested lay-ups and was a pest on defense. Hassan speeds up the game, transitions from defense to offense and puts the dagger in a tired opponent in the second half.

A takeaway that gets to our success is a 23 to 4 assist advantage we had. An unselfish team with guys who can score. Then add a 12 rebound advantage and good things happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just threw a Cam Spencer punch in the air when I saw the final score and everyone here in the airport gave me a stunned look.

I will read the rest of this short thread later. Nothing is better sports news while I am waiting to board my flight to Dubai than UConn clinching the BE regular season title and smashing Seton Hall. Just being a UConn fan not even a player, I had a payback mindset.

Reaction Score
I just threw a Cam Spencer punch in the air when I saw the final score and everyone here in the airport gave me a stunned look.

I will read the rest of this short thread later. Nothing is better sports news while I am waiting to board my flight to Dubai than UConn clinching the BE regular season title and smashing Seton Hall. Just being a UConn fan not even a player, I had a payback mindset.
Have a safe flight. Starting to peak.

Reaction Score
Have a safe flight. Starting to peak.
Thanks for the recap as always, Chief. I will be going to YouTube to watch the commercial free replay when I land in Dubai fory 3.5 hour layover.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
When you shoot 50% in the first half with a 3.3 assist to turnover ratio, and a 7 rebound advantage you expect to have the lead and we did but 12% 3 point shooting held us back as Karaban’s slump continued in the first half. In the second half Alex cut more rather than standing on the 3 line and that opened everything up more for him and others. A 30 point win clinic then ensued and 56% shooting over-all.

Clingan (19 pts) , Castle (21 pts) , and Newton (17 pts) carried the load today most of the way until Karaban/Spencer heated up in the second half. All three score points and got to the FT line and performed well there 13/17. Donovan blocked 5 shots and had 11 rebounds and Tristen dished 10 assists. Castle was 9/12 FG and 3/4 FT.

Clingan looked very good. His offensive post game is very underrated. Donovan has developed an excellent baby hook at various locations. He can also use the box on bank shots from either side and of course can convert at the rim. On defense Donovan changes the game in the paint. Today he blocked shots but also changed numerous other shots. I also think his foul and jump shot are soft with good rotation. If his feet are healthy, he is definitely a high lottery pick.

The other guy who impressed was Diarra. He made contested lay-ups and was a pest on defense. Hassan speeds up the game, transitions from defense to offense and puts the dagger in a tired opponent in the second half.

A takeaway that gets to our success is a 23 to 4 assist advantage we had. An unselfish team with guys who can score. Then add a 12 rebound advantage and good things happen.
I guess Alex and Cam are in a slump the last three games. However if you watched closely they were blanketed. Couldn't get the ball let alone shoot the three. However it is amazing how everyone else picks it up.

Reaction Score

Great game and not much to nitpick but Samson really needs to spend time on ft stroke. Cam seems off, would be surprised if he was not under the weather.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I guess Alex and Cam are in a slump the last three games. However if you watched closely they were blanketed. Couldn't get the ball let alone shoot the three. However it is amazing how everyone else picks it up.
Cam shot 100% on threes today. One for one. Their game plan was apparently, don't give him room to take a 3, and they did that very well. His lone 3 ball attempt was on the break.

Reaction Score
They both have the smarts to not force it.

Reaction Score
My observation defense will be the key. Make all of your free throws. If they run the table Best UConn Team ever.

Reaction Score
I like Clingan’s new one bounce FT technique. This team has FT potential, maybe not as good as 2014 but very good.

Reaction Score
17/22 (77%) in his last 5 games. Really good adjustment from the 50s

In those same games, averaging 14.2 PPG, 7.8 RPG, 2.6 BPG and 67.5% FG. Really coming alive at the right time
I've not seen a college center block and retain shots the way Clingan does. He blocks, tips it up and grabs it. He alters opposing players shots and prevents them from
approaching the paint. Sanogo was amazing and Donovan is equally so in a different way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cam shot 100% on threes today. One for one. Their game plan was apparently, don't give him room to take a 3, and they did that very well. His lone 3 ball attempt was on the break.
Makes sense. Pitino is still a great coach. And last game he was all about stopping Cam as a key to victory. Other coaches take their cues from the top coaches. So they focused on stopping Cam, had some success and still got their clock cleaned.

Reaction Score
Hey Chief & Friends,

This year's Huskie team wins by playing unselfishly TOGETHER. No other team I have seen plays together as well. Our level of winning certainly is Not due to its great outside shooting. Playing Great Team Defense is how we've won this year.

What are the attributes of a great shooter? First, great form & release (unlike Newton or Karaban). It's a shooter who can hit more than just two three's in a row - game in, game out - all year long at 40%+ on three's - & quickly shoot his/her team back into a game if its down, like a Caitlin Clark does for her Iowa women's team.

The deal is that great shooters MUST be strongly recruited (& probably paid more too) because they aren't all that common still, as scorers or leapers are. In this new wild professional college hoops era of Transfer Portals, grad players, NIL, 7-year players at many schools, crooked agents & no official rules or even academic standards - & programs competing for hired-gun talents - Hurley will have to change his thinking & approach more towards offense & outside shooters, most of whom are usually Not as defensive-minded as Hurley demands. Castle is tough minded & can guard, but he's not an NBA shooter, not even close! Lottery Pick? Sheesh! He should stay another year.

Danny Hurley has a history of being primarily a defensive-minded coach. He has a history of NOT recruiting great, consistent outside shooters - just one so far at UConn - Hawkins.

UConn's lack of outside shooters rarely being open is because Hurley does NOT have or call plays to get the ball repeatedly to shooters like Spencer, this teams best outside shooter by far. Nor did Hurley even recruit a replacement for Hawkins who could create the space for his shots & also drive to the hoop.

Again without this team completely buying into playing together mantra, this year's Huskies would have had a hard time winning by relying upon its inconsistent shooters to stay close to teams with several good shooters like Houston, Alabama, Tennessee, Marquette or Creighton. Our poor outside shooting may do us in the forthcoming BE & NCAA tournaments.

Father Demo

pj

Reaction Score
Hurley will have to change his thinking & approach more towards offense & outside shooters, most of whom are usually Not as defensive-minded as Hurley demands. Castle is tough minded & can guard, but he's not an NBA shooter, not even close! Lottery Pick? Sheesh! He should stay another year.

Danny Hurley has a history of being primarily a defensive-minded coach. He has a history of NOT recruiting great, consistent outside shooters - just one so far at UConn - Hawkins.

UConn's lack of outside shooters rarely being open is because Hurley does NOT have or call plays to get the ball repeatedly to shooters like Spencer, this teams best outside shooter by far. Nor did Hurley even recruit a replacement for Hawkins who could create the space for his shots & also drive to the hoop.

Let me see if I have this straight:
  • The most successful coach in college basketball today needs to "change his thinking & approach"
  • A guy on most NBA lottery boards should stay one more year
  • The coach who has built the best rosters in college ball for two years running, and top 5 offenses per KenPom, doesn't recruit shooters
  • The team's second leading scorer and leader in 3PA doesn't get the ball or have plays called for him
Did I miss anything?

Reaction Score
Hey Chief & Friends,

This year's Husky team wins by playing unselfishly TOGETHER. No other team I have seen plays together as well. Our level of winning certainly is Not due to its great outside shooting. Playing Great Team Defense is how we've won this year.

What are the attributes of a great shooter? First, great form & release (unlike Newton or Karaban). It's a shooter who can hit more than just two three's in a row - game in, game out - all year long at 40%+ on three's - & quickly shoot his/her team back into a game if its down, like a Caitlin Clark does for her Iowa women's team.

The deal is that great shooters MUST be strongly recruited (& probably paid more too) because they aren't all that common still, as scorers or leapers are. In this new wild professional college hoops era of Transfer Portals, grad players, NIL, 7-year players at many schools, crooked agents & no official rules or even academic standards - & programs competing for hired-gun talents - Hurley will have to change his thinking & approach more towards offense & outside shooters, most of whom are usually Not as defensive-minded as Hurley demands. Castle is tough minded & can guard, but he's not an NBA shooter, not even close! Lottery Pick? Sheesh! He should stay another year.

Again without this team completely buying into playing together mantra, this year's Huskies would have had a hard time winning by relying upon its inconsistent shooters to stay close to teams with several good shooters like Houston, Alabama, Tennessee, Marquette or Creighton. Our poor outside shooting may do us in the forthcoming BE & NCAA tournaments.

Father Demo
Disagree. Cam not a great shooter? Alex? Great shooters get the focus of other team defense and fortunately we have many other answers. They also can get cold snaps. As we get out of BE I think it changes in tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom