Chief’s Briefs - PC Editions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - PC Editions

Reaction Score
Yes Hurley can recruit. Yes he can coach and develop players in practice. But game day is a mess. He is constantly out coached by the better coaches in the country. His 40 minutes of whining and his smirking is getting us techs, and non calls regularly. he needs to control himself

Reaction Score
As good a defender as Jackson is, he needs to do a better job of moving his feet to stay in front of guys. It's almost like he sometimes purposely let's a guy go by him so he can try to block from behind...the issue is if the player is smart enough to pump fake and wait for Jackson to bump into them...as Carter successfully did...or is smart enough to simply draw the help defender and dish to the open man. Hurley needs to get on Jackson to be a bit more fundamental defensively and work on staying in front of his man...he can get his blocks in transition or playing help side defense.

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to be a threat to drive to the hoop and try to finish or draw a foul rather than always passing; it will open up other scoring opportunities; Sanogo and Hawkins need to shoot more from inside the foul line.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Definitely unprecedented. The national media has picked up on the whispering I have heard and outted both the conversations (Goodman) and numbers (Berson). Where it goes from here is anybody’s guess but the days of denial that there’s a problem need to end. The Commissioner needs to demonstrate some leadership and integrity now. UConn needs to publicly apologize for not removing Bouknight from the building after ejection. Better late than never. Hurley has to change his self destructive antics. Time for actions on both sides.
Fan since the 90's and I've really never seen anything so obvious. The bizarre aspect is that UConn was actually winning despite it at one point, so the officials went into overdrive. Ultimately, it's not just the points at the line, it's that it rips away our aggressiveness on defense and on the boards. It steals our identity as a team. UConn dominated the boards in the first half, but as the touch fouls piled up, you saw the energy drain away. Those 50-50 balls PC got, they almost all occurred after PC hit the double bonus 6 minutes into the second half. Newton was attacking early, but getting fouled with no calls eventually makes that a losing strategy and he stopped.

Did UConn play well? No. Our shooters missed loads of open shots. We stunk at the line. The Karaban on Hopkins matchup worked for a little while, but we needed to switch players on him. Jackson became reckless in his frustration, for the second game in a row. Still, call the game fairly and UConn wins by 2-3 points. Call it fairly when UConn plays well and you beat this team by 12-16.

Reaction Score
Hurley not adjusting to the Hopkins vs Karaban matchup which yielded PC a plus 16 and the conference trend of another massive team foul discrepancy led to the loss tonight.

Sanogo had 2 foul shots despite being fouled on nearly every touched. Totally disgusted with the inept Big East Office. Time for a new commissioner.

Give PC credit they got the 50/50 balls and out hustled us. We are out of our flow and need to get back to better ball movement again and quicker coaching adjustments.

One bright point was Hurley finally playing Clingan and Sanogo together. It worked well and we need much more of that. We were 9 of 13 from our center position but needed much more of that and more foul shots given the constant slapping.

Hawkins played well but Joey C has been fading and he needs to get it going again.
The book on us defensively seems to be to limit Sanogo and Hawkins as best as possible and make Jackson, Karaban, or our supporting cast of guards beat you. Offensively, you use a 4 (or 3-4) who can play inside/outside to create a matchup problem for Karaban down low or Sanogo outside (assuming there isn't a true 5 like Kalkbrenner to already keep Sanogo and Clingan occupied). That said, hopefully Jackson can stay out of foul trouble on Saturday so he can deal with 6-7 Kaluma (with Karaban covering 6-6 Scheierman) or the kid could go for 25-30 points.

Reaction Score
I don't know what else to say about the refs. I guess we know what happens when you call Jeff A a "fūčcing clown" 5 times on national TV. They look out for their own. Hard to win a 40 minute game when you are getting whistled for slight contact on one end, and elbowed in the face on the other (another elbow to Karaban's face last night did not even draw a common foul). All I can say is I hope no one gets hurt because other teams know they have a green light to smack UConn players in the face, you can even knock out their teeth without drawing a foul.

Reaction Score
Definitely unprecedented. The national media has picked up on the whispering I have heard and outted both the conversations (Goodman) and numbers (Berson). Where it goes from here is anybody’s guess but the days of denial that there’s a problem need to end. The Commissioner needs to demonstrate some leadership and integrity now. UConn needs to publicly apologize for not removing Bouknight from the building after ejection. Better late than never. Hurley has to change his self destructive antics. Time for actions on both sides.

LOL. The research has been done. Coach and team need to keep their heads down and play.

Reaction Score
We're just a wildly predictable team.

On offense - if AS gets the ball down low, it's not coming back out. Jackson is never shooting. Joey C is shooting a 3 or a little floater. Hawkins is shooting a 3 coming off a curl or he's driving straight to the rim. Diarra, Alleyne and Newton have no confidence in their shot right now. And on and on.

On defense - spread us out and get to the rim at will, we can't guard on ball at all. Squad of matadors.

I'm wildly against the two big lineup but at least DH tried something differently.

This team is a bunch of good time globetrotters. When we hit some 3's, it opens up Andre's passing and AS down low and we've got Joey C pumping up the crowd and Hawkins feeling good.......but when we get down a bit, it's brutal. The ball sticks. Our guards can't create. AJax can create but looks like the kid in pickup who never learned a jumper. Sanogo is a black hole. It's schematic and it's mental.

Reaction Score
The players are playing “soft” like they did OOC and are assuming they’ll get the same calls they did before. Not an unreasonable thing to do, because they’re getting held and mauled every possession with no call. I can almost understand Newton’s hesitancy to drive, because he gets hit every time and doesn’t get anything from it (yes I know this has nothing to do with him jumping in the air without a plan)

Unfortunately I don’t think it’ll change soon. Goodman implied the refs have a problem with UConn, and they proved it last night and in the last 5ish minutes at Xavier. The team just needs to assume they won’t get the right calls, and finish through the contact anyway. Newton is 6’5 and was known solely as a scorer for 3 years, and Sanogo is the strongest player in the conference. It’s possible, they just need to change the mindset.

No it’s not fair but it is what it is. Get back to bullying people
Twice as many foul shots is a tough hill to climb against good team. If we retaliate in kind, we get called for fouls.
There’s a very weak Big East Commisioner, who isn’t doing her job and should be fired. The integrity of the game should always be a given number #1 objective, and she has fallen asleep on that.

Reaction Score
We're just a wildly predictable team.

On offense - if AS gets the ball down low, it's not coming back out. Jackson is never shooting. Joey C is shooting a 3 or a little floater. Hawkins is shooting a 3 coming off a curl or he's driving straight to the rim. Diarra, Alleyne and Newton have no confidence in their shot right now. And on and on.

On defense - spread us out and get to the rim at will, we can't guard on ball at all. Squad of matadors.

I'm wildly against the two big lineup but at least DH tried something differently.

This team is a bunch of good time globetrotters. When we hit some 3's, it opens up Andre's passing and AS down low and we've got Joey C pumping up the crowd and Hawkins feeling good.......but when we get down a bit, it's brutal. The ball sticks. Our guards can't create. AJax can create but looks like the kid in pickup who never learned a jumper. Sanogo is a black hole. It's schematic and it's mental.
It’s also predictable Sanogo gets fouled before and during every touch and there’s no call!!!!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
that aristotle dude is reputed to have started the 'show me the boy at 7, and i'll give you the man at 70' thing. tru dat, twas ever thus.
pops sez that back in their day playing ball, neither danny nor his brother were broadly liked, albeit relatively successful in their game.

now, u sound as whiny as him. 'it's sumbody else's fault! the refs hate me!'

guess what! guess what! now, it's January, and things discussed specifically long ago are now dawning on many here.
ajax doesn't get points. explained years ago, yet never even discussed cuz it gives many the madds. nba all star! he won't be guarded outside, allowing his defender to sag into the paint even more than an old ladies rack. a very real strategic problem. iffn he's a 'guard' as some may think, mebbe he should stop listening to that old tune 'blew bayoo' cuz on d, it happens a lot, and on o, when he does it, there's nothing to finish it. 'bbut, someday!' it's also slowly dawning on him that the old team board dynamic, where all knew that if he is near it, he got it (cool!), is not true anymore with donno out there, cuz donno got it, and if it happens on o, donno gonna smash it home. changes floor chemistry.
jalen and corey were far better choices, for both now and into the future, to join newt's crew than old mr can't shoot and mr no brakes. mr mascot, ie mr no d, is fun and might hit a shot or three.
donno is a star with massive upside - 'iffn danny doesn't play him early and often, it would be prima facie evidence of coaching malpractice.'
since that gem, also looong ago, the phrase 'coaching malpractice' gains in use here. also, 'start donno!' seems to be gaining currency as well. imagine that.
danny is sucking the lifeblood out of tris. it should have been 'here is the ball mr newton, ur the lead guard, go out there and do stuff.' i was cheering hard and loudly last night at him and donno (they heard, everybody heard. kinda surprised that no one near threw a hot dog at me) and was rewarded as he played to the last second with energy. that bullyball 2 at the end said it all. he was very frustrated with the dynamic.

alex, adama, hawk are all fine, i don't know aboot mr wall cuz i've never seen him or richard springs play. why can't he get time? idk, ask danny.

the possible crime is, in a year of el stinko ncaa teams, that he fumbles this opportunity to go hard for the cup while having a very seriously good six playas. "give me these six, and i'll ...'

stop whining. it's not 'how to be successful, gain friends, and win influence.' twas ever thus.
hc-sp-uconn-men-advance-cornell-1120
mebbe he can win sumthin. idk. i sure wouldn't hang around him, tho.
nervous people are not high on my list of pals. they're whiny, sketchy, and prone to 'curling up in the fetal position.' do adults also suck their thumb when doing that? i wouldn't know cuz i give all kids a free pass on that one. i travel around a good bit (a husky fan should visit both Providence and Morgantown for a game at least once. fantastic. last season, typo jacked the worst sounding 3 of all time at WV. it made an horrific sound, and stunned the crowd into silence.), and lately i've noticed 'out there' hoops fans saying to me 'why is ur coach so angry all the time? what's up wit dat?'
feels kinda like the dam is breaking on all this stuff.

Reaction Score
that aristotle dude is reputed to have started the 'show me the boy at 7, and i'll give you the man at 70' thing. tru dat, twas ever thus.
pops sez that back in their day playing ball, neither danny nor his brother were broadly liked, albeit relatively successful in their game.

now, u sound as whiny as him. 'it's sumbody else's fault! the refs hate me!'

guess what! guess what! now, it's January, and things discussed specifically long ago are now dawning on many here.
ajax doesn't get points. explained years ago, yet never even discussed cuz it gives many the madds. nba all star! he won't be guarded outside, allowing his defender to sag into the paint even more than an old ladies rack. a very real strategic problem. iffn he's a 'guard' as some may think, mebbe he should stop listening to that old tune 'blew bayoo' cuz on d, it happens a lot, and on o, when he does it, there's nothing to finish it. 'bbut, someday!' it's also slowly dawning on him that the old team board dynamic, where all knew that if he is near it, he got it (cool!), is not true anymore with donno out there, cuz donno got it, and if it happens on o, donno gonna smash it home. changes floor chemistry.
jalen and corey were far better choices, for both now and into the future, to join newt's crew than old mr can't shoot and mr no brakes. mr mascot, ie mr no d, is fun and might hit a shot or three.
donno is a star with massive upside - 'iffn danny doesn't play him early and often, it would be prima facie evidence of coaching malpractice.'
since that gem, also looong ago, the phrase 'coaching malpractice' gains in use here. also, 'start donno!' seems to be gaining currency as well. imagine that.
danny is sucking the lifeblood out of tris. it should have been 'here is the ball mr newton, ur the lead guard, go out there and do stuff.' i was cheering hard and loudly last night at him and donno (they heard, everybody heard. kinda surprised that no one near threw a hot dog at me) and was rewarded as he played to the last second with energy. that bullyball 2 at the end said it all. he was very frustrated with the dynamic.

alex, adama, hawk are all fine, i don't know aboot mr wall cuz i've never seen him or richard springs play. why can't he get time? idk, ask danny.

the possible crime is, in a year of el stinko ncaa teams, that he fumbles this opportunity to go hard for the cup while having a very seriously good six playas. "give me these six, and i'll ...'

stop whining. it's not 'how to be successful, gain friends, and win influence.' twas ever thus.
hc-sp-uconn-men-advance-cornell-1120
mebbe he can win sumthin. idk. i sure wouldn't hang around him, tho.
nervous people are not high on my list of pals. they're whiny, sketchy, and prone to 'curling up in the fetal position.' do adults also suck their thumb when doing that? i wouldn't know cuz i give all kids a free pass on that one. i travel around a good bit (a husky fan should visit both Providence and Morgantown for a game at least once. fantastic. last season, typo jacked the worst sounding 3 of all time at WV. it made an horrific sound, and stunned the crowd into silence.), and lately i've noticed 'out there' hoops fans saying to me 'why is ur coach so angry all the time? what's up wit dat?'
feels kinda like the dam is breaking on all this stuff.
Historically, in my Briefs I rarely focus on fouls. The expert observers have crunch the numbers and talked to the Big East refs and what the numbers and words say is consistent with what I have independently heard and the case I have been making.
We did not have this huge foul issue in elite OOC games - it is the Big East refs have an agenda and it is impacting their objectivity. The mail it in approach by Val the Big East Commissioner is disgusting. The very integrity of the game is at stake.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The very integrity of the game is at stake.
i bet sunny filly devito would of shot them in the foot, instead of just stuffing a pillow in their mugs, or kicking their china.

i wouldn't just exit that plane. id smash the window and dive out before it even fired up the p&w's.

Reaction Score
The very integrity of the game is at stake.
i bet sunny filly devito would of shot them in the foot, instead of just stuffing a pillow in their mugs, or kicking their china.

i wouldn't just exit that plane. id smash the window and dive out before it even fired up the p&w's.

I am not whining, I want action taken on a problem that others have also identified and confirmed. I have very well source first and second hand information it exists. It absolutely impacts the integrity of the game.

Reaction Score
Again, I think you are on point about most things, but I still disagree about AS/DC together for anything more than occasionally. Someone posted that it was +5 when they were in together. Don't know if that's true, but if it was, I'm guessing that was attributable to DC, not because they were in together. Nothing about them in together today passed the eye test. It wasn't a disaster or anything, but there was nothing special about it offensively or defensivly.
Hurley mentioned post game that it didn't look pretty but that was because he said they didn't practice it. Begs the question, Why Not?

Reaction Score
Fan since the 90's and I've really never seen anything so obvious. The bizarre aspect is that UConn was actually winning despite it at one point, so the officials went into overdrive. Ultimately, it's not just the points at the line, it's that it rips away our aggressiveness on defense and on the boards. It steals our identity as a team. UConn dominated the boards in the first half, but as the touch fouls piled up, you saw the energy drain away. Those 50-50 balls PC got, they almost all occurred after PC hit the double bonus 6 minutes into the second half. Newton was attacking early, but getting fouled with no calls eventually makes that a losing strategy and he stopped.

Did UConn play well? No. Our shooters missed loads of open shots. We stunk at the line. The Karaban on Hopkins matchup worked for a little while, but we needed to switch players on him. Jackson became reckless in his frustration, for the second game in a row. Still, call the game fairly and UConn wins by 2-3 points. Call it fairly when UConn plays well and you beat this team by 12-16.
Beautiful post. Sums up the game perfectly. Yet it is deeply disturbing how many people this is completely lost on.

What so many people here also simply aren’t grasping is just how hard UConn worked to be down by only five points with under 6 to go despite their shots not falling, not being allowed to play defense, the entire team in foul trouble, being somewhere around -15 in FT attempts throughout the game, and being hacked, held, shoved and literally thrown to the floor like Jackson. Against a very talented and well coached Providence team on their home court.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I am not whining, I want action taken on a problem that others have also identified and confirmed. I have very well source first and second hand information it exists. It absolutely impacts the integrity of the game.
i have better sources. u want to know actually why mr villanova quit?
mebbe i'll tell, someday.
more importantly, i also have eyes, and the experience of watching dannys act for years.
let's just say that it's a truism -'u catch more flies with honey than vinegar.'
the guy is trending into annoying putz territory. people don't generally look to do nice things for annoying putzes, cuz they're annoying putzes.

Reaction Score
CBB also has to clarify the iso-posting up rule. Until they do, AS, DC and AJax should just lower their shoulder and not stop until they’re under the basket. Croswell essentially took a handoff, lowered his shoulder and Jerome-Bettis’d his way through Sanogo (who was then called for the foul of course).
It looked even worse watching the game live as I was sitting in section 209 which is at the basket where Croswell did this. He bulled his way through and basically rubbed his head against Sanogo's bicep and got the foul call. SMH

Reaction Score
It looked even worse watching the game live as I was sitting in section 209 which is at the basket where Croswell did this. He bulled his way through and basically rubbed his head against Sanogo's bicep and got the foul call. SMH
Again, Adama needs to do the same. He’s been playing soft.

Reaction Score
Again, Adama needs to do the same. He’s been playing soft.
Sure Sanogo could try to force more contact, but if he did that same move Croswell did he would pick up the offensive foul or there would be no call.

I would hardly say Sanogo is playing soft, that's hyperbole. He uses a lot of brute strength in sealing off defenders in post ups and even in his "finesse" spin moves in the post. Also, PC usually had defenders hover around him denying him the ball. Sanogo does have to continue working on passing out of the double teams and I think when the shooters are cold he puts it upon himself to force shots.

UConn needs to hit more of their open 3s, they had plenty of them and most of their misses were not close, while PC hit more their open 3s. UConn had their chances last night. If the 3s are not falling they have to have a plan B. And they have stop with some of their over aggressive reaching in and move their feet more on D and focus on keeping their man in front (i.e. AJax bumping into Carter for his 2nd foul).

Reaction Score
If you were an AD sitting near the bench and your head BB coach was calling referees "a clown" what would you do? Postgame. That is not a good look for your university or what you would expect from your Head Coach. I am done with pissed off Dan Hurley. It is hurting our team. How about the old Calhoun "call it both ways" and leave it at that and coach your team.
Sanogo takes too long to get a shot off. It gives opponents time to mob him.
Clingan should start. He cleans up on the boards.
2 games in a row opposing coach lookins are saying to stop Hawkins. They do not fear Sanogo. He misses too many layups and they are good with that. And they have shut Hawk down.
Free throw shooting. If we had 35 shots how many do we make? 20? Hurley needs to get this fixed. Having players knock into each other and get stitches in practice is nice but to win close games we need to hit free throws way better than we have.
Need to figure out how to use DC and AS together and best score the ball. Other coaches would be using this lineup.
Newton being a scoring threat is the key to all our other starters. He seems to drift and defer most of the time. A couple second half 3's were as off as the students trying to win contests during timeouts at Gampel. No idea how his deep shot is so inconsistent after that first half performance in Oregon.
Running Springs out to give Karaban a rest and defend Hopkins and keep others from getting called for a foul should have been tried but DH gets stuck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom