Chief’s Briefs - PC Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - PC Edition

Reaction Score
The second foul was a complete flop far away from the action. The 4th foul was phantom and delayed whistle.
Clingans foul on first possession of second half blows my mind. Terrible call. He had one really dumb foul where he jumped - and he knew it afterward -Then the rest I cud live with

Reaction Score
2 fouls in the first 2 minutes of the second half for 4 combined fouls by the most dominant player in the country. What is the Big East’s goal?
What are you trying to say? That Clingan should never be called for a foul unless it’s a flagrant?

Reaction Score
Clingan fouls were all legit. When the hands come down, the ref calls it automatically even if there is no contact.
The moving screen would have been legit in a game where they were calling moving screens. This was not that game.

Reaction Score
Clingan's second foul was a lousy call. The 4th could have definitely been a no-call.

But no one played a particularly smart game. We looked a little sleepy out there. It happens. We won.

Reaction Score
You guys can complain about the refs all you want but there was fouling all over the place on both teams. That’s the Big East. Go back and rewatch the 4 fouls on Clingan. They were all legit fouls. Maybe if Clingan wants to stay in the game, he should stop dropping his arms on top of the shooter, right?
Ice Brady also does a good job of dropping arms on the shooter. What are coaches for?????

Reaction Score
why do we run so few plays to get DC the ball near the basket? too often setting useless screens on the 3pt line.
Good point, we often get away from the obvious, but PC didn't late in the game. We should have made a strong effort to get their center to the bench late in the game.

Reaction Score
The truth is that there are always more fouls than can be called. This allows the refs to control the game by selecting the fouls they call or don't call. Donovan got screwed. Who gets 4 fouls in his first five minutes in a game? Nobody.
Agree.

Reaction Score
I just got home from the game... That was an abomination. Easily the worst game I've ever witnessed, no pace no flow, insane amount of fouls. There were bad calls that went both ways so I won't harp on the officials but Providence is bad for the brand of this conference with that style of play.

Tip off was 830 and the game ended just before 1130. I feel like even rothstein would turn that off.

Thank goodness we won.
If people can’t learn from this, that’s an even bigger problem.

Reaction Score
Good point, we often get away from the obvious, but PC didn't late in the game. We should have made a strong effort to get their center to the bench late in the game.
Yes, we got to get our bigs away from the 3 lines, the risk reward is slim.

Reaction Score
The 2nd foul was the only one I had a problem with. I think what the refs missed was a lot of "Cam Grabbing" by the Friars. Seriously, he came off of a few screens and guys were grabbing his hands, forearms... etc. It looked like the guy who wants to hold a girls hand and she wants nothing to do with him.
Clingan had energy, but he just seem so unfocused. I was wondering if being a CT kid, the Providence rivalry means more to him than the other players and if he was a little too amped.

I came away from watching the game feeling like I had watched a Red Sox/Yankees game from before the rules changes. I also was thinking that Donny Marshall needs to stick to non-UConn games. I don't if he's afraid of being accused of being a homer or what's going on with him, but last night was not a great game and the refs were not great by any means. I was almost wishing Walton was there in his place at times and I'm not big on old Bill.

Reaction Score
All of DC’s fouls were obvious fouls. DC took himself out each half.
The second foul on a screen not an obvious foul, nor was the fourth one, which some ref not in the play came running in and called it late.

Reaction Score
Free throws may be what ends our season.
Need Castle to get a little better. Newton has been oddly erratic, but he has made clutch free throws in national championship games (10-10 in Final Four last year), so I’m comfortable he’ll knock them down when we need. I’m not too worried about Spencer and Karaban. Castle would be a guy who could have the ball in his hands in late game pressure situations and who will need to be counted on. We don’t want to have to hide him since he can break a press with the dribble or throw over the top of a trap.

Clingan (and Johnson) will miss some, but that’s long been a tradeoff with a lot of big men. You give up a couple points at the line in exchange for the net positive over the course of the game. You just don’t want them to touch the ball when the other team is trying to foul on purpose.

Diarra is an X factor too. He hasn’t shot a lot of them. But he could be out there when we want extra ball handling and speed against a press.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The 5
The 2nd foul was the only one I had a problem with. I think what the refs missed was a lot of "Cam Grabbing" by the Friars. Seriously, he came off of a few screens and guys were grabbing his hands, forearms... etc. It looked like the guy who wants to hold a girls hand and she wants nothing to do with him.
Clingan had energy, but he just seem so unfocused. I was wondering if being a CT kid, the Providence rivalry means more to him than the other players and if he was a little too amped.

I came away from watching the game feeling like I had watched a Red Sox/Yankees game from before the rules changes. I also was thinking that Donny Marshall needs to stick to non-UConn games. I don't if he's afraid of being accused of being a homer or what's going on with him, but last night was not a great game and the refs were not great by any means. I was almost wishing Walton was there in his place at times and I'm not big on old Bill.
The 5th on Castle was fun. Carter clamped Castles arm and pulled him along!! Nice move if you can get away with it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom