Chief’s Briefs - PC Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - PC Edition

Reaction Score
He deserved them. Better he learns now than in the tourney.
He was a mess defensively. For UConn to have a serious chance of winning it all he needs to be on the court. We are a leaking sieve of a defense with him on the bench. He has to play smarter
DC realized he needs to be smarter, He pointed to his skull after one of his fouls.

Reaction Score
I just got home from the game... That was an abomination. Easily the worst game I've ever witnessed, no pace no flow, insane amount of fouls. There were bad calls that went both ways so I won't harp on the officials but Providence is bad for the brand of this conference with that style of play.

Tip off was 830 and the game ended just before 1130. I feel like even rothstein would turn that off.

Thank goodness we won.

Reaction Score
The officials didn’t take DC out of the game, he took himself out of the game
Oduro looked like the lottery pick tonight. In 50% more playing time than DC he had about triple DC's points and rebounds.

I kept waiting for PC to run every play for Oduro in the second half when he scored on three straight possessions while DC looked helpless. Hard to figure how DC could look so bad. Hopefully he and some of the others were just looking ahead to MSG on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Oduro looked like the lottery pick tonight. In 50% more playing time than DC he had about triple DC's points and rebounds.

I kept waiting for PC to run every play for Oduro in the second half when he scored on three straight possessions while DC looked helpless. Hard to figure how DC could look so bad. Hopefully he and some of the others were just looking ahead to MSG on Saturday.
It is called foul trouble

Reaction Score
Don't believe I have ever attended a more frustrating game, the referees made themselves the main characters and didn't allow the game to flow at all. Gampel was energized and ready to erupt and then there would be a whistle, time after time.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Officially how long was this Game minute wise? Close to 2:45? Insane.
Well let's put it this way. The second game was Boise State vs New Mexico. When our game was finally over, the BS-NM game had fives minutes to halftime. People talk about DC taking himself out of the game. I don' know. That charge call on him was head scratching, The were out of control. That's my opinion.

Reaction Score
I just got home from the game... That was an abomination. Easily the worst game I've ever witnessed, no pace no flow, insane amount of fouls. There were bad calls that went both ways so I won't harp on the officials but Providence is bad for the brand of this conference with that style of play.

Tip off was 830 and the game ended just before 1130. I feel like even rothstein would turn that off.

Thank goodness we won.
Providence is bad for the brand of this conference? What does that make Depaul? Or Georgetown? Or Seton Hall?

Reaction Score
Two things:

Clingan needs to stop jumping. Guards can't shoot over him and he can do his work against bigs before he lets them get the ball under the basket. And he can't block every shot. Needs to be more intimidating (see Xavier) instead of trying to make a play on every shot.

Newton needs to stop this lazy approach to FT shooting. When he focuses on his form he hits every one. Often he pushes it and misses. 10-16? Unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Providence is bad for the brand of this conference? What does that make Depaul? Or Georgetown? Or Seton Hall?
I'm not talking wins and losses here I'm talking style of play, the same can be said for those teams you mentioned. I'm talking about how painful it was to watch that game. It was awful. Georgetown is similarly a bad style of play as Providence but at least they're a big brand. If the Big East wants to put the best product on the floor the style of play Providence has is actively hurting it. That game was painful. UConn, Creighton, and Marquette play a great style of ball that is fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I think the BE needs to figure out its identity. It wants to be the gritty physical league (preferable for the tradition) but then gave 50 fouls and 60 free throws to the guys who played that style, mostly in the second half

If it wants to be more modern and free flowing basketball (preferable for the business), they need to set that tone in the first half. Call the contact you don’t want to see, and when the players and coaches come crying to you about it, explain why they can’t get away with it

The worst case scenario is to set the tone in the first half that excess contact is okay, and then call it every possession in the second half. That happened last night

But at least it was consistent. Both fan bases have very fair complaints about officiating. Clingan’s 1st was iffy, next 4 were legit. Only issue with his 5th was that they waited until the ball was off the rim and in Newton’s hands before calling it

Reaction Score
Clingan fouls were all legit. When the hands come down, the ref calls it automatically even if there is no contact.

Reaction Score
Maybe most impactful-I’d even argue that’s still a stretch. But most dominant? Simply, nah.
Check the numbers with him on the floor and without him on the floor. Defensively, the contrast is stark compared to the games he missed. Most dominant, maybe not, but most impactful - definitely.

Reaction Score
Ugly ugly game. But I like Kim English and the Providence rivalry.
The PC rivalry is love/hate for me. Love the added juice and urgency, the fact that PC has an active fanbase and also cares. There's a lot to love. But I hate that it feels like the wins are never as good as the losses are bad

Reaction Score
Check the numbers with him on the floor and without him on the floor. Defensively, the contrast is stark compared to the games he missed. Most dominant, maybe not, but most impactful - definitely.
I don’t disagree-But, staying on the floor is also part of it. The great bigs stay out of foul trouble consistently. That’s the next step.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m still in the north garage. Big mistake
In the words of rocket raccoon "how is that even possible?" The game ended at what like 11:30 PM?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Oduro is the type of player that is going to give DC issues - Oduro plays facing the basket and has good quickness and a bunch of up fakes, etc. DC has not learned the discipline of playing that type of player. He should have been better prepared for the opponent - that's on the staff.
All the fouls were not necessary and there were a few that DC did get away with during the game.
The game sucked, the officiating was bad for both teams and hats off to English and the Friars for making it a most uncomfortable game for the UConn team.
It's a game that they will see more of, so they better be prepared. There was no fight in UConn the entire 1st half. Newton was half asleep for 3/4 of the game as was Cam and SJ - that cannot happen. Diarra had a tough not - the pace was not suited for him.
A win is a win, and this may prove to be a blessing in disguise come NCAA tournament time.
NEXT.........................................

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Maybe it was the start time. These guys are usually finished playing a home game by the time this game even started. We probably under estimate how that impacts the players. They were probably more than ready to go around the normal time then had to wait and wait and wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom