Chief’s Briefs - PC Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - PC Edition

Reaction Score
A good win. We shot well from the field (53%), especially when we needed it the last 10 minutes. Our second half defense was key. Really liked the way we made foul shots late. We are an undisciplined team and despite many good attributes, that prevents us from being what we can be for the full 40 minutes. Of course, 47% three point shooting helps overcome other things.

4 of our 5 starters shot over 50%, and Newton made up for being 30% from the field by going 5 for 5 from the line. He also displayed good ball security. We also had 4 starters in double figures and Joey C and Alleyne showed some spark as well.

The first half we carelessly turned the ball over. The second half we cleaned things up and play well despite some early fouls. Our rebounding was outstanding with a 20 rebound margin (40 to 20).

Absent the careless turnovers and fouls, we win by 30 points. The fouls I blame on both us and the refs who allowed PC to grab and push with immunity throughout a possession.

We still don’t know when we should or should not give a teammate the ball. Our centers shot 66%, but they were only 9 for 14. Andre played great defense. Really like him on the baseline on offense.

Karaban closed the game out well, and wasn’t abused on defense like the first time we played PC. When he is playing like he did the last 10 minutes, he plays with the polish of a junior or senior.

After some early turnovers, Hawkins played well and showed toughness and a beautiful shot despite early misses. He can make 20 points snd make it look easy.

Reaction Score
Let's try not to have Sanogo passing the ball too much in tournament games. Andre had his obligatory 3-4 bad plays.
Overall a nice effort that we need to sustain.

Reaction Score
The free throw shooting was impressive and really encouraging to see. Kind of reminded me of how the team shot FTs in the 2014 NCAA Tourney. We should all be very proud of this effort tonight.
Agree, Chief likes the 92% from the FT. True to form PC had a 20 to 14 foul shot attempt lead. Absent the two obvious 3 point fouls it would have been 20 to 8 attempts.

Reaction Score
Andre had 4 assists and 1 turnover. He was 2-3 from the field and had 6 rebounds and his defense was very good.
Look at the shots, a post up resulting in a smooth little lefthanded hook, an early backdoor screen leading to a nice reverse layup. Those are the exact type of plays that should be run for him, I’m not surprised they yielded good results. We had 4 guys in double figures tonight so Andre could just do all the things he does well.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Short and sweet
A must win and I feel the most important win of the season. UConn beat it's real rival and did so by protecting their home court.
As I said before, UConn had to be up double figures with a minute or less left to feel comfortable that the team and coach wouldn't implode.
Sanogo was very weak on help D in the 1st half but he turned in a great 2nd half performance.
NA, who has virtually disappeared made some clutch baskets. Good for him.
Hawk - a little shaky at the start but he can score points and before you blink he has 20 - man the kid is so good.
Newton - uneven but he did make 2 or 3 nice drives to the hoop - needs to keep that going.
DC - I think he has hit that frosh wall but is trying to get through it. He shows his frustration on his sleeve but the kid is going to be a good one - plus he hit some FTs
Nice to see JoeyC hit a bomb and to see Springs on the court.
Can't say a lot about AJax - an even performance - nice hair!

Great win, keep this momentum and avoid any hiccups vs St Johns or DePaul. Nova will be a test at their place.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Short and sweet
A must win and I feel the most important win of the season. UConn beat it's real rival and did so by protecting their home court.
As I said before, UConn had to be up double figures with a minute or less left to feel comfortable that the team and coach wouldn't implode.
Sanogo was very weak on help D in the 1st half but he turned in a great 2nd half performance.
Hawk - a little shaky at the start but he can score points and before you blink he has 20 - man the kid is so good.
Newton - uneven but he did make 2 or 3 nice drives to the hoop - needs to keep that going.
DC - I think he has hit that frosh wall but is trying to get through it. He shows his frustration on his sleeve but the kid is going to be a good one - plus he hit some FTs

Great win, keep this momentum and avoid any hiccups vs St Johns or DePaul. Nova will be a test at their place.
Yes Nova will be a test. They won 3-4 games and an upset. I agree it will be a tough one. Also Clingan did improve his foul shooting. Thankfully.

Reaction Score
Early second half our lead evaporated. Careless shots and Sanogo throwing the ball away. There was a timeout. Clingan came in and we got the lead up to 15 before Sanogo came back in. He was better with the ball the rest of the way. Not rushing passes and we held the lead. The rest of the way this season Adama has to be better when he has the ball up top. Stop rushing, take care of the ball and make the smart play.

Reaction Score
Andre had 4 assists and 1 turnover. He was 2-3 from the field and had 6 rebounds and his defense was very good.
And why would we NOT want sanogo making good passes out of the paint? A 3 pt shot and assists? It demonstrably changes our offense and kudos to adama for stepping back and playing second or third fiddle to hawk and Alex. I pray we get him back. I’m not sold in hawk leaving unless he Ben Gordon’s the BE tournament. I think she has a goal to go top ten or higher.

Reaction Score
And why would we NOT want sanogo making good passes out of the paint? A 3 pt shot and assists? It demonstrably changes our offense and kudos to adama for stepping back and playing second or third fiddle to hawk and Alex. I pray we get him back. I’m not sold in hawk leaving unless he Ben Gordon’s the BE tournament. I think she has a goal to go top ten or higher.
I actually love the way we have been using Sanogo and the way he's played last several games. Still has his post up game when needed and appropriate, but it not being forced and he's cutting more, making good passes, etc. and scoring and contributing in more ways.

Reaction Score
Short and sweet

Agree with everything you said. But I would add, St. John's is going to be a test as well even though the game is at UConn's de facto home court.

Reaction Score
I’m jacked from Sanogo’s power baseline move with defenders draped all over him.Yikes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Agree with everything you said. But I would add, St. John's is going to be a test as well even though the game is at UConn's de facto home court.
Yes normally I agree but the Johnnies have had team uproars and unrest. It’s a mess

Reaction Score
I’m jacked from Sanogo’s power baseline move with defenders draped all over him.Yikes.
He showed explosion in his jump, something he only really does coming from two feet and bent knees. He needs to do more of that. You don’t see that when he’s involved in all the high hedge activity, it just wears him down.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
Was it just me or did Hopkins look especially lackadaisical on defense this game? He's never the most energetic defender but I couldn't decide if he just looked slow or uninterested today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom