Chief’s Briefs - Northwestern Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Northwestern Edition

Reaction Score
Just sit back, appreciate and enjoy watching basketball as it was meant to be played. A total dominating performance by Donovan Clingan and UConn. Donovan shot over 70% for 14 points, was 4-4 FT, with 14 rebounds and 8 blocks.

Additionally, he impacted countless shots. You can also see his evolution as a shooter. He has great form on his foul shot and the 3 ball is on display in the gym. A top 5 draft pick.

But, give Northwestern credit playing with injuries and not quitting and out scoring us in the second half.

What an unselfish team, we had 2.5 times as many assists as our opponent and had a assist to turnover ratio of 2.5. As is our habit. Tristen Newton played well and ended with 20 points and was 6-7 from FT. Spencer also added some offense. And Johnson got his dunks as we need him to.

So far two NCAA tournament games and the officials are not part of the story. The game is played clean and crisp. So much the Big East Office can learn from this, if the Commissioner had the ability to learn.

We shot over 50% from FG, while only hitting 10% on threes. A smart team who went into the paint for many of our points. However, Karaban needs to get his shot back. His five best plays today were 2 late offensive rebounds and three cuts to the basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There were a lot of uncalled body checks by NU. Not sure I want to see those refs again, even if they didn’t T up Clingan.
We had 4 less fouls and 10 more foul shots than our opponents, reflecting us going to the paint for points. I thought it was fair. Donovan will almost always be pushed to some extent due to his size, fair or unfair.

Reaction Score
Completely agreed about Karaban. His offense has been lacking for sometimes now. Could be mental, he never looks to score or for his own shot.

Reaction Score
We can't drop from a 30 pt lead to 15 against Illinois or Iowa State cuz I doubt we would even get up 30. Not surprised if Danny is angry about how we took the foot off the gas but as a fan I'm 1) drunk and 2) happy with the win.

Reaction Score
The team is firing on al cylinders and DH will make sure they don't become complacent. DC's stock is rising. Northwestern showed some fight.

Reaction Score
Completely agreed about Karaban. His offense has been lacking for sometimes now. Could be mental, he never looks to score or for his own shot.
Yeah but if he wanted he has mid range, he showed it. He wants the 3 point shot back….and he will get it back I predict.

Reaction Score
Am I correct? The Big East is 6-0 and the only conference who has more teams left is the ACC with 4. Making a strong statement we were undervalued.
I'd say taking care of business.

In fairness, we've beaten 16, 15, 14, 11, 10, and 9 seeds.

Creighton will have a much tougher test against Tennessee. Marquette hopefully will keep it rolling against lower seeds.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We had 4 less fouls and 10 more foul shots than our opponents, reflecting us going to the paint for points. I thought it was fair. Donovan will almost always be pushed to some extent due to his size, fair or unfair.
There were a lot of uncalled body shots by both teams. It’s was just lose all around. I’m glad some of our Big East experience prepared us for that. Donovan was stellar. Newton was good as was Spencer. Castle strong on D. Need more from Alex, and need Cam to hit his shots.

Reaction Score
Would love these refs every game, foul trouble the only thing that can beat huskies. Clingan could have been called for 2 early fouls legit or not
I also think they got away with some aggressive defense in the first half that could’ve been called differently

Reaction Score
The game plan was to hit the knockout punch in the first half and they accomplished that. Second half was mostly just game management albeit not very well executed. Credit to NU for a valiant effort.

Reaction Score
There were a lot of uncalled body shots by both teams. It’s was just lose all around. I’m glad some of our Big East experience prepared us for that. Donovan was stellar. Newton was good as was Spencer. Castle strong on D. Need more from Alex, and need Cam to hit his shots.
Agree. Andre Johnson was the only guy who shot over 25% from three, going 1-1.

Reaction Score
I'd say taking care of business.

In fairness, we've beaten 16, 15, 14, 11, 10, and 9 seeds.

Creighton will have a much tougher test against Tennessee. Marquette hopefully will keep it rolling against lower seeds.
The Big East teams though avoided being upset. Not everyone can say that.

Reaction Score
Happy to see the points in the paint, but I always thought they would need to make at least 6 threes to win.

Reaction Score
Maybe we will play a complete game one of these days. Nice to see Donovan playing his best games..
Four more Briefs to go. Keep up the good work.

Reaction Score
So far two NCAA tournament games and the officials are not part of the story. The game is played clean and crisp. So much the Big East Office can learn from this, if the Commissioner had the ability to learn.
As much as I hate watching the officiating of Big East games, it may actually be an advantage for UConn in the NCAA tournament. They get used to the physical style of the Big East and as little as the refs are blowing the whistle so far, it's still 'cleaner' than the Big East games.

-Hopefully the pendulum swings and Karaban and Spencer start hitting 3's at a higher rate. It usually balances out.
-Clingan needs to continue to stay on the floor.
-As coach C used to love to say, "Just keep on keeping on."

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Huh? e takes many treys and cuts. Those are his shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom