Chief’s Briefs - NC Wilmington Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - NC Wilmington Edition

Reaction Score
Pretty impressive the offensive efficiency from Adama and Jordan. When Adama goes to the bench, we have a really big body out there to have to shoot over.

Quite frankly, I thought Hawkins and Jackson assimilated into the rotation just fine. Hawkins played great and Andre played good defense and handed out assists. Exactly what we needed.

The success of this year’s team is predicated on guys knowing what the team needs of them. There are guys who can do various winning things and if everyone focuses on what they can contribute in that context, we will do very well.

Hawkins, Karaban, Alleyne and Joey California may finally give us answers from the three line. 45% from three is a good number.

Joey C is playing smoother every game and if he continues to think a step ahead it will offset any physicality advantage an opponent might have. Tonight he played California smooth even without hitting a 3.

An old coach once told me, you got to win the games you are suppose to and then steal some you aren’t suppose to win. This team definitely knows how to win the games we are suppose to.

Reaction Score
Enjoy the Briefs as usual. As a big UConn fan love your analysis.
Karaban continues to impress with his all around play.
Jackson was scarry good. Feel that he will do whatever it takes to keep us winning.
Oregon will tell us where we're at NATY wise 80 to 1 in NJ get your $ out.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
The success of this year’s team is predicated on guys knowing what the team needs of them. There are guys who can do various winning things and if everyone focuses on what they can contribute in that context, we will do very well.

Reaction Score
Pretty impressive the offensive efficiency from Adama and Jordan. When Adama goes to the bench, we have a really big body out there to have to shoot over.

Quite frankly, I thought Hawkins and Jackson assimilated into the rotation just fine. Hawkins played great and Andre played good defense and handed out assists. Exactly what we needed.

Hawkins, Karaban, Alleyne and Joey California may finally give us answers from the three line. 45% from three is a good number.

Joey C is playing smoother every game and if he continues to think a step ahead it will offset any physicality advantage an opponent might have. Tonight he played California smooth even without hitting a 3.

An old coach once told me, you got to win the games you are suppose to and then steal some you aren’t suppose to win. This team definitely knows how to win the games we are suppose to.
Paragraph 3 (team success) is an A+. At least it’s how it appears to me. (The casual fan). Selling that is the challenge. There is ton of talent there when healthy.

Reaction Score
Enjoy the Briefs as usual. As a big UConn fan love your analysis.
Karaban continues to impress with his all around play.
Jackson was scarry good. Feel that he will do whatever it takes to keep us winning.
Oregon will tell us where we're at NATY wise 80 to 1 in NJ get your $ out.
Thank you. We got our winning margin with Jackson on the floor. He was like +33. This year, he will only have to give us, what he can do very well. He can get us rebounds, assists and lock down defense. He will have his scoring games but this year it is about winning.
The basketball people get it on AJax. He has a two on zero break and could have done a spectacular dunk, but gave it up to a teammate. I can’t tell you enough what that type of unselfish gesture does for a team, especially from a Captain.

Reaction Score
Thank you. We got our winning margin with Jackson on the floor. He was like +33. This year, he will only have to give us, what he can do very well. He can get us rebounds, assists and lock down defense. He will have his scoring games but this year it is about winning.
The basketball people get it on AJax. He has a two on zero break and could have done a spectacular dunk, but gave it up to a teammate. I can’t tell you enough what that type of unselfish gesture does for a team, especially from a Captain.
I’m originally from upstate NY so 1 up for AJAX but there are multiple favorite players on this years team. We have so many skilled players that on any given night it can be someone else showcasing talent. Just glad both Hawkins and AJAX looked that good after injuries. When we start slow and can’t hit the side of a barn like last game Hurley has a lot of different things he can try, and having the starters back last night was big.

Reaction Score
Very impressive performance up and down the roster. If Hawkins plays like that consistently we are going to be very very very good. Sanogo did Sanogo things, Karaban is Steady Eddie and that's a huge plus as well.

Optimism is high!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What I like about Karaban, Newton, Alleyne and Calcaterra is when they are supposed to shoot, they don't hesitate, they actually shoot.

Part of what had been frustrating the past few seasons is opponents would run a four out offense and actually use it to their advantage that if any shooter was open, by god, they shot it. UConn seemed to have too many hesitant players not sure if they were supposed to shoot, and by then it's too late. Defense closed out and rotated. Lather, rinse, repeat.

These guys, especially Karaban aren't hesitant. They are confident in their ability and play like it.

Alleyne's shot looks awful but he has hundreds of data points saying he's an above average shooter. If he keeps laying bricks, Joey C will take his minutes. A lineup with any two of Newton, Hawkins and Jackson can hide Joey C's defensive liabiities.

Also, Joey showed a few times last night his ability to catch and outlet pass and pass up to the front court to an open shooter. No chance for the defense to get back and set.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The overall point for this team seems to be we are scary deep and skilled. Diarra will also have his moments and if Johnson comes back and fulfills half his potential. OMG.

Reaction Score
Pretty good results for a 4-0 team that hasn't had their shots dropping for the most part. Hawk looked strong/confident..AJax disruptive and energetic.. Sharing the ball and playing good team D..Liked to see the AS backdoor pass to Alleyne for the jam.

Looking forward to shaking things up at PKI

Reaction Score
Solid game where it seemed like everyone filled their role. I was hoping to see Andre more assertive on offense but obviously can't have any complaints about how he played.

It feels like Diarra has been trying to do a bit too much the past couple games and has dribbled himself into some dead ends. I really like his aggression, but I don't think you should be leading the team in turnovers in 15 minutes.

Reaction Score
The team is looking great right now against mediocre opponents as UConn's talent and depth are overwhelming the competition. The key question: what will be the combination of players that can operate efficiently during crunch time against top level opponents?

Reaction Score
Hawkins full of confidence is a borderline lottery pick. AJax may not stick in the league because of his shot but he is a unicorn in college and a lot of fun to watch. Like that Sanogo is patient under the hoop. Karaban can ball. Newton is a menace. My only concern right now is guard depth, especially pg. Joey C and Diarra were getting routinely torched last night by their guards - Joey too slight and Diarra struggles laterally. Important for Newton/Hawkins/AJax to be careful about stupid fouls. Overall great start to the season.

Reaction Score
What I'm keeping my eye on is how this team, with all it's moving parts, continues to grow and come together on both offense and defense. Jackson, with his IQ/skills, determination and aggressiveness, changes everything markedly for the better, and Hawkins really does look like he's going to light it up this year.

Reaction Score
That was a beautiful thing to watch.

But drawing conclusions from these first five games is premature. Next week will start to show us what we have and who will step forward. Is it reasonable to be excited about the potential of this group? Sure. We know what we have in Sanogo because we have seen it over seasons. Dre impacts the game so many ways it's almost impossible to quanitize. One thing is true, this is a nice start to the year.

Reaction Score
Hawkins full of confidence is a borderline lottery pick. AJax may not stick in the league because of his shot but he is a unicorn in college and a lot of fun to watch. Like that Sanogo is patient under the hoop. Karaban can ball. Newton is a menace. My only concern right now is guard depth, especially pg. Joey C and Diarra were getting routinely torched last night by their guards - Joey too slight and Diarra struggles laterally. Important for Newton/Hawkins/AJax to be careful about stupid fouls. Overall great start to the season.
We haven’t had guard depth like this in quite a while. Not every UConn guard can be Kamba or Shabazz.

Reaction Score
Very impressive performance up and down the roster. If Hawkins plays like that consistently we are going to be very very very good. Sanogo did Sanogo things, Karaban is Steady Eddie and that's a huge plus as well.

Optimism is high!
Quite frankly, I agree one should never underestimate steady. When a coach looks down the bench when things are falling apart on the court. A steady, consistently predictable option has a lot of appeal.

Reaction Score
We haven’t had guard depth like this in quite a while. Not every UConn guard can be Kamba or Shabazz.
We have depth, but is it top ten/championship quality depth? It's funny you mention Bazz and Kemba - they were the guard depth on a final four/championship team!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That was a beautiful thing to watch.

But drawing conclusions from these first five games is premature. Next week will start to show us what we have and who will step forward. Is it reasonable to be excited about the potential of this group? Sure. We know what we have in Sanogo because we have seen it over seasons. Dre impacts the game so many ways it's almost impossible to quanitize. One thing is true, this is a nice start to the year.
JC divided the season into thirds. The first third was to work on specific things he felt were important, that players were not playing up to his standards. He would carry those exercises in practice and implement them in those early games. He scheduled a lot of cupcakes early just for that purpose.

The second third was to work on integrating all these specific aspects of the game in the first third and develop team chemistry.

If things went to plan the team would perform well in the final third and particularly in the post season.

I’m sure Hurley has some similar approach to the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom