Chief’s Briefs - Maryland Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Maryland Edition

Reaction Score
I love all that Martin brings to the game but it is nearly impossible to miss as many shots as he did near the basket.
the defensive lapses we shocking to me. We have had terrible offensive spells all year but the easy baskets that got from mistakes was astonishing and disappointing.
I think I’m most upset about how non competitive we seemed for a good majority of the game. Never felt the fire, felt like we were outcompeted on the floor.
this also ends the debate for me on where bouk ranks in the all time great huskies: as immensely talented as he is the greats in this program do it in March.

You’re not outcompeted when you outrebound the other team by 18 and recover half your misses. Our problem tonight is that we weren’t close to good enough. It was not about not having played hard or tough enough.

Reaction Score
But what he’s not is a point guard. Any time the ball is thrown to him in the half court offense, he catches it and isn’t ready to immediately pass, shoot, or drive. He instead takes a few dribbles and backs off.

I see Gaffney being more of a 2 next year than a 1. But he has the potential to be a good basketball player if he makes the adjustment.
Some good points but he does have more of a burst of speed than Cole and finishes better. He does need to work on thinking a step ahead with his passes and creating for others. I do like 83% FT, which is important for a pg.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kemba had that 30 points in 3 straight games. James isn’t at that level yet. I think his advisers are starting to understand there are some advantages to coming back. Not that they are sold on it but there is more work to do on some things.
I feel like NBA teams rather take Bouk and have him work on his weaknesses in their system than do another year in college.

Reaction Score
I really wonder what our game plan was.
I think our Game plan was to go into Adama but then fouls happened and they could double both Adama and James because no one can shoot from the outside - the game plan fell apart without meaningful adjustments to repair things.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
This was actually a good breakdown and your responses have been engaging as well.

Too late, kid.

Reaction Score
I feel like NBA teams rather take Bouk and have him work on his weaknesses in their system than do another year in college.
There’s some pressure on a top 10 pick to produce - for people who think he will go that high.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Maryland’s 1 on 1 and 3 ball vs. UConn’s offensive rebounding. Early on almost all our points were on second and third shots. But, the bottom line is we don’t have enough shooters and our defenders don’t always identify their 3 ballers. 32% FG percentage compared to 51% for MD. 30% 3FG compared to 50% for MD. Our offense seems to have no purpose or thought once Adama left with 2 fouls.

I thought Gaffney was the one guy who brought his offensive game. He seems to have the ability to drive by his defender and finish better than Cole. We should have played him more the first half.

I love Whaley’s defense but when we open the game with him taking more shots than other guys, we are following our opponents game plan not ours. But, his shot blocking, offensive rebounding and put backs helped keep us in the game. Whaley, Cole and Polley combined for 3 of 18 shooting during the first half. The team had 18 offensive rebounds but only 22 points.

Maryland definitely did their homework. Posting Cole and taking away Bouknight and Sanogo.
Chief did notice that when guys came in off the bench on defense they don’t always play their guy right. Thinking Gaffney playing under the scene on Ayala shooting a 3 and Jackson not keeping the ball handler between his knees and allowing him the angle to drive.

Chief thought our biggest matchup advantage was Sanogo since Bouknight had a star defender on him who had lots of help but 2 early fouls killed that and MD created a healthy lead with Adama out of the game. The trend of UConn’s Bigs committing fouls away from the basket continues with Whaley fouling a 3 baller. If we are going to play small ball at the end why bench Sanogo with 2 fouls early? Makes no sense.

On offense, UConn players seem to lack self awareness. With Whaley hosting 3’s and offensive rebounders rushing the putbacks on the offensive rebound. Chief can’t tell you what offense we ran. Totally disjointed. But, also give lots of credit to Maryland’s defense.

Ayala, Wiggins and Scott were Maryland’s Big 3. We did not close well with missed foul shots, Cole with a lane violation, etc. But, despite that we lost by single digits, a sign of our potential and the fact we did not quit. But, 42% foul shooting doesn’t get it done in the tournament. Bouknight looked tired toward the end and as Chief has been saying needs to come back stronger and better condition and lead us next season. That will make him a top 5 draft pick. He’s not ready yet.
Chief was tragically wrong

Reaction Score
But what he’s not is a point guard. Any time the ball is thrown to him in the half court offense, he catches it and isn’t ready to immediately pass, shoot, or drive. He instead takes a few dribbles and backs off.

I see Gaffney being more of a 2 next year than a 1. But he has the potential to be a good basketball player if he makes the adjustment.
Agreed also lacks vision and ability to create for others. Needs to work on his shot and become more an off guard.

Reaction Score
Idk. We missed a million gimmes. If we're gonna criticize the game plan, we need to factor in that making these 2 footers would have made the coaching look much better...
Fair point, Martin doesn’t keep his eyes on the rim. Most players should always do that when they go up with a put back. Only a few gifted guys have that sense where the rim is without looking with focus.

Reaction Score
Some good points but he does have more of a burst of speed than Cole and finishes better. He does need to work on thinking a step ahead with his passes and creating for others. I do like 83% FT, which is important for a pg.
My biggest frustration with Gaffney- and to a lesser extent Cole- is when we're down 8 or 10 with 2-3 minutes left and they're taking the air out of the ball out at the top of the key. I was screaming at my TV for them to push the damn ball and get some urgency (and scaring the crap out of my dog).

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Maryland’s 1 on 1 and 3 ball vs. UConn’s offensive rebounding. Early on almost all our points were on second and third shots. But, the bottom line is we don’t have enough shooters and our defenders don’t always identify their 3 ballers. 32% FG percentage compared to 51% for MD. 30% 3FG compared to 50% for MD. Our offense seems to have no purpose or thought once Adama left with 2 fouls.

I thought Gaffney was the one guy who brought his offensive game. He seems to have the ability to drive by his defender and finish better than Cole. We should have played him more the first half.

I love Whaley’s defense but when we open the game with him taking more shots than other guys, we are following our opponents game plan not ours. But, his shot blocking, offensive rebounding and put backs helped keep us in the game. Whaley, Cole and Polley combined for 3 of 18 shooting during the first half. The team had 18 offensive rebounds but only 22 points.

Maryland definitely did their homework. Posting Cole and taking away Bouknight and Sanogo.
Chief did notice that when guys came in off the bench on defense they don’t always play their guy right. Thinking Gaffney playing under the scene on Ayala shooting a 3 and Jackson not keeping the ball handler between his knees and allowing him the angle to drive.

Chief thought our biggest matchup advantage was Sanogo since Bouknight had a star defender on him who had lots of help but 2 early fouls killed that and MD created a healthy lead with Adama out of the game. The trend of UConn’s Bigs committing fouls away from the basket continues with Whaley fouling a 3 baller. If we are going to play small ball at the end why bench Sanogo with 2 fouls early? Makes no sense.

On offense, UConn players seem to lack self awareness. With Whaley hosting 3’s and offensive rebounders rushing the putbacks on the offensive rebound. Chief can’t tell you what offense we ran. Totally disjointed. But, also give lots of credit to Maryland’s defense.

Ayala, Wiggins and Scott were Maryland’s Big 3. We did not close well with missed foul shots, Cole with a lane violation, etc. But, despite that we lost by single digits, a sign of our potential and the fact we did not quit. But, 42% foul shooting doesn’t get it done in the tournament. Bouknight looked tired toward the end and as Chief has been saying needs to come back stronger and better condition and lead us next season. That will make him a top 5 draft pick. He’s not ready yet.
Don't you have some other Board to post on? I thought you did.

Word I heard is that you are a very, very big deal over there.

Reaction Score
Idk. We missed a million gimmes. If we're gonna criticize the game plan, we need to factor in that making these 2 footers would have made the coaching look much better...
That’s absolutely true. However, Sanogo was dominating and capable of finishing if he wasn’t put on ice again. Ball movement was terrible most of the night and we didn’t exploit our size. Hurley panicked and went small and played right into Maryland’s game plan. We wasted so many minutes with a disorganized offense scheme in the last 5 minutes. He’s a terrible in-game coach. Until he actually proves he can prep his teams to wins some big games, my opinion won’t change.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

He also plays at a pace that suggests we are up 20, regardless of score. Cannot be the PG solution in 21.

Reaction Score
Good points - learning how to win - especially on a big stage - is a process.

Reaction Score
You’re not outcompeted when you outrebound the other team by 18 and recover half your misses. Our problem tonight is that we weren’t close to good enough. It was not about not having played hard or tough enough.
After the start of the game the rebounding advantage was not nearly as dominant. Guarding your man and keeping him in front of you is also part of competing. They played with more of an edge than us.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Im not sold in why AJ gets so much pt. Especially in the second half when we really needed to score. I know he's an athletic freak, but at this point his chances of scoring are limited to fast break dunks. I would have rather polley in there to try to catch lightning in a bottle

Reaction Score
My biggest frustration with Gaffney- and to a lesser extent Cole- is when we're down 8 or 10 with 2-3 minutes left and they're taking the air out of the ball out at the top of the key. I was screaming at my TV for them to push the damn ball and get some urgency (and scaring the crap out of my dog).
LOL - Fair point and that goes to the point of trying to play up tempo throughout the game. Jim Calhoun was saying that he would like to see us play that way. Running transition offense is a mentality we don’t seem to have despite our athleticism.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom