Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought the team did a great job with the high hedge in the first half. Kept Marquette in check until we started scoring. Great job by all the high hedgers Don’t think Marquette had an answer for all that high hedging
You realize Johnson played for just 8 minutes! Donovan played for 31. Yes, our high hedge was much better than the day before, since we did not use it much.

Reaction Score
Found their gear in 2nd half. Hard to believe they went over 70 after the first half. Stewart crushed them at a pivotal moment. Clingan was dominating in the second half after sleep walking through the first. Amazing how guys step up when others are just not on their game.
Stewart was unconscious or very confident? He hit the threes, even with a bank and he runs the court well. Tends to be in the right place at the right time.
I notice on the other hand Ball has been playing less. Part of that is the success of Spencer and certainly Diarra contributioning to winning runs and uptempo. But, I wonder if something else isn’t at play? Injury or something else?

Reaction Score
"Stewy" was both. Preparation allows his great performance. Stay focused, Stewy!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Heading to Vegas for march madness for 35th consecutive year. Except closed covid year. Any husky fans there would love to meet and buy you a drink, dinner, lunch or share a bottle of wine.
Was there for 10 years straight in the earlier 2000’s. Spent a lot of time watching games at ESPNZone or the Golden Nugget. Great times!

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Heading to Vegas for march madness fir 35th consecutive year. Except closed covid year. Any husky fans there would love to meet and buy you a drink, dinner, lunch or share a bottle of wine.
I’ll be there, more like
Heading to Vegas for march madness for 35th consecutive year. Except closed covid year. Any husky fans there would love to meet and buy you a drink, dinner, lunch or share a bottle of wine.
yeah!
Heading to Vegas for march madness fir 35th consecutive year. Except closed covid year. Any husky fans there would love to meet and buy you a drink, dinner, lunch or share a bottle of wine.
I’ll be there as well. I think about 8 years now. I’ll send you a message.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Donovan Clingan the star of the game. Dominant defense, 22 points and 16 rebounds. Stewart the next UConn star had 9 points on 3 for 4 from three. About Winnjng Tristen Newton had 13 points and 10 rebounds. Great second half by a great team.

Was the first half about poor offense or great defense? Probably both, but fortunately Marquette was in the same boat shooting 32% to our 30%.
In the second half Donovan has hit to finish and either Cam or Alex got to warm up their shot. They were 1/8 the first half.
I thought the officiating was good and Donovan look in really good form
on the FT line shooting 6-8 (75%).
Hurley may be happy with a 16 point win, but
he will need to explain to Andrea why their son did not play. Good luck Danny. lol
Good shout with clingan’s FT shooting. It was a welcome surprise.

Secure Dog

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Stewart was unconscious or very confident? He hit the threes, even with a bank and he runs the court well. Tends to be in the right place at the right time.
I notice on the other hand Ball has been playing less. Part of that is the success of Spencer and certainly Diarra contributioning to winning runs and uptempo. But, I wonder if something else isn’t at play? Injury or something else?
Defense it why he is not playing. It has to be. The depth and the interchanging of Spencer, Castle, Newton and Diarra could have something to do with it. But in my mind it’s defense. Go back and look at Stewart on defense early in the year. He was consistently out of position. No even if he gets caught not rotating correctly he realizes it and corrects in time before it leads to an open shot. Ball with all of his physical skills still gets beat off the dribble way too much. Especially gets beat by overplaying the man he is covering strong hand and then is a half step behind. I just hope he stays because he can shoot and is physically with his wing span for his size a two way weapon just waiting to break out.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We say the boys aren’t about individual awards but I think Donovan just reminded Oso, Dixon and Kalkbrenner that he’s a little more than an Honorable Mention

pj

Reaction Score
I notice on the other hand Ball has been playing less. Part of that is the success of Spencer and certainly Diarra contributing to winning runs and uptempo. But, I wonder if something else isn’t at play? Injury or something else?

Yes, the development of Stewart, Diarra, and Samson has been impressive and bodes well for next year. Ball showed promise while filling in for Castle early in the year, but now seems to have fallen out of the rotation entirely. Danny has mentioned that the portal is beckoning to UConn players, you have to wonder if he's lost time because he's player #9, or because the fit between Ball and the program has been off in some way.

Reaction Score
Ball is still a freshman guard with a lottery pick in Castle and a 6th man of the year in HD ahead of him. Oh, and 2x 25 year old first team all big East players in the starting back court. Ball didn’t take himself out of the rotation. He fell into the early rotation through Steph’s injury.

Reaction Score
We say the boys aren’t about individual awards but I think Donovan just reminded Oso, Dixon and Kalkbrenner that he’s a little more than an Honorable Mention
He’s the most dominant player in the conference by far - it is an embarrassment to the Val Big East that he’s not the MVP or first team. lol - honorable mention.

Reaction Score
I’d like to HONORABLY MENTION that Cling Kong is a pretty good player of basketball. Also an HONORABLE young man. Did I MENTION that he is a projected Lottery pick?

Reaction Score
Yes, the development of Stewart, Diarra, and Samson has been impressive and bodes well for next year. Ball showed promise while filling in for Castle early in the year, but now seems to have fallen out of the rotation entirely. Danny has mentioned that the portal is beckoning to UConn players, you have to wonder if he's lost time because he's player #9, or because the fit between Ball and the program has been off in some way.

pj

Reaction Score

Not too worried about Stewart, Hurley knows he's a future star, UConn has a good environment and is competitive with NIL, and Stewart fit with the culture and has earned a significant role. He must know he'll be a leader at UConn next year.

I'm more worried about the guys that didn't earn time this year. As a coach you hate to invest a year developing guys and then lose them and have to start over. Turnover can wear you down.

Reaction Score
Nope. He started until Steph came back. Hass took his minutes because he’s been very good. Hard to play 5 guards, but we can if we need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom