Chief’s Briefs - Maine Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Maine Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Our defensive energy after the half was nice to see. DH has the team committing to that end of the floor while we struggle on offense.
Josh is a black hole for us at times on offense. We try and run stuff through him and he just can't convert which starts some of our scoring droughts. The good thing is he doesn't sulk but keeps playing. Someone needs to teach him to upfake and to not be afraid to kick it back out.
Bouk at the 4 against the zone has to be coming with his ability hit the midrange or drive. Polley has not shown the ability to drive well enough yet. They might try Sid there as well. Akok I would rather see down low but who knows he may surprise there.
Postgame Hurley mentioned making shots as an issue as we had many open looks clang off today. He also mentioned finishing around the rim. Solving these will be the toughest thing.

Last season, as I recall, Josh had some good games against the weaker teams, but until late in the season didn’t play as well against the better teams. This season seems like the opposite. Better games against the big teams but he’s played less well against the weaker teams. Some of of it may be the small ball thing and the other part is he’s stronger this year.

Reaction Score
So you're saying he doesn't make a different dicision as dictated by curmstances. Can't really argue with you on this, since an accepted school of thinking says that under duress you revert to what you practice and what is automatic. However..."Tin Cup" has been playing during the extended weekend, and that school says you either go for it or lay up. Watching someone go for it is way more fun.
Just remember that Tin Cup lost. And nothing is more fun than winning.

C

Chief00

Chief doesn’t follow this “Tin Cup” stuff, so I may be missing something.

Reaction Score
Chief doesn’t follow this “Tin Cup” stuff, so I may be missing something.
Tin Cup is a movie about a golfer who has a problem playing it safe and always "goes for it." Made by the same writer/director who did "White Men Can't Jump" and "Bull Durham." It's a funny movie.

C

Chief00

Tin Cup is a movie about a golfer who has a problem playing it safe and always "goes for it." Made by the same writer/director who did "White Men Can't Jump" and "Bull Durham." It's a funny movie.
Thanks for getting Chief up to speed. There wasn’t much golf on the circuit this summer.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
11 of Bouknight's 15 points came in relative garbage time. He needs to improve a touch on the defensive end.

Still impressive considering age and experience. That and 1 was sick.

Reaction Score
I thought defensively we were pretty outstanding yesterday. We had what - six shot clock violations? That's great.

Offensively we just can't finish around the rim. That's gotta happen.

C

Chief00

I thought defensively we were pretty outstanding yesterday. We had what - six shot clock violations? That's great.

Offensively we just can't finish around the rim. That's gotta happen.
It’s troubling though when you can’t finish around the rim and your opponent doesn’t have a shot blocker.

Reaction Score
It’s troubling though when you can’t finish around the rim and your opponent doesn’t have a shot blocker.

Ingo is definitely a shot blocker. He had 5 of their blocks. He's inexperienced and has only played sparingly for Maine this season but got minutes early with Yagodin in foul trouble and they stuck with him because he was effectively guarding the hoop.

C

Chief00

Ingo is definitely a shot blocker. He had 5 of their blocks. He's inexperienced and has only played sparingly for Maine this season but got minutes early with Yagodin in foul trouble and they stuck with him because he was effectively guarding the hoop.
In all due respect - we are going to face much better shot blockers this year than some guy who rarely plays for Maine. Whatever blocks he was credited for against us was more the result of our finishing ineptitude.

Reaction Score
In all due respect - we are going to face much better shot blockers this year than some guy who rarely plays for Maine. Whatever blocks he was credited for against us was more the result of our finishing ineptitude.

He has a 7'3" wingspan. He's a shot blocker. He blocked our shots. You said they didn't have one at all. Check out the block at 5:49 1st half. .

He met Bouknight above the rim.

Yes, we will play better shot blockers. Agreed we'll need to be better going forward. That kid has some nice instincts and length.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

He has a 7'3" wingspan. He's a shot blocker. He blocked our shots. You said they didn't have one at all. Check out the block at 5:49 1st half. .

He met Bouknight above the rim.

Yes, we will play better shot blockers. Agreed we'll need to be better going forward. That kid has some nice instincts and length.

He did have a couple nice blocks. Good research, Chief didn’t think he would be relooking at the Maine game. But, hey you see something in this dude and let’s see if the coaches give him more playing time.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We came out flat after a week off in an empty gym. There is no cause for long-term concern here.

Reaction Score
I think the team seems to be excelling in-game in certain facets in different games: this one certainly the 2nd half defense that caused so many steals, turnovers and discomfort to Maine. I think we will hit that next gear soon where we are running on all cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom