Chief’s Briefs- Indiana Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs- Indiana Edition

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Newton seems to do whatever he wants to do on the court. If he wants to shoot, he shoots. If he wants to pass, he’ll pass. The defense doesn’t seem to be able to stop him from dictating and it’s fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Newton is well on his way to becoming the most underrated player in UConn history. Dude deserves much more love than he gets, including from the hardcore fans.

Hopefully he's got more national TV performances like this (and like the title game) in him. Kid can play himself into a draft pick.
He's not gonna get drafted but he is an exceptionally valuable college basketball player despite the lack of flash and hype in his game.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's not gonna get drafted…
6-foot-5 combo guard who can hit shots, make plays and get to the line. Also is earning something of a rep as a big game player with excellent half-court feel.

If he ends up with something like a 16/6/5 slash-line on 45/40/85 shooting splits and a 2.5-1 a/to ratio, bet he goes in the back half of the second round.

Reaction Score
Clingan main goal is to win basketball games. Did it in HS at BC now at UConn. The only thing DC cares about are the.Ws and the Ls. He makes everybody on the team elivate their game.
Shut down IU inside game and no reason to think it wont continue against everybody.. What a wepon!
.Watching the joy he gets from his teammates success is a beauty to behold.
Chief your the best.

Reaction Score
Great run today. Hoping for the same tomorrow. Texas will be a good test. GO HUSKIES!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Hassan
Wow that is an interesting take. You think Diarra is a key. My thinking is that we need to see Ball improve. With Spencer, Newton and Castle ball handling will not be a problem. If Ball improves SJ plays like he is then we need one of the wings to step up Stewart, Ross or Romogolou will be key. At this point with Cam and TN and Castle guards are our strength. I would like to see AR get more real playing time. Right now he appears to be ahead of Stewart and Ross. That may change but right now from what I am seeing he deserves a shot.

Reaction Score
Wow that is an interesting take. You think Diarra is a key. My thinking is that we need to see Ball improve. With Spencer, Newton and Castle ball handling will not be a problem. If Ball improves SJ plays like he is then we need one of the wings to step up Stewart, Ross or Romogolou will be key. At this point with Cam and TN and Castle guards are our strength. I would like to see AR get more real playing time. Right now he appears to be ahead of Stewart and Ross. That may change but right now from what I am seeing he deserves a shot.
I didn't say he was key. I said he's important. Just like all of our senior back up guards in the past. He gives us energy, defense and a ball handler off the bench.....a la Donnell Beverly.

Reaction Score
Tristen show! He was amazing. Cam played well too. But today, you could really see how our offense ground to a halt without Tristen on the court. Really missing Stephon but team played with a lot of grit and toughness. Samson played well and was very disruptive. Alex played well too even though his shooting was off today. Honestly, we played good not great and still beat an IU team with talent by 20 so can’t really complain. I will say that Donovan did not play well and seemed gassed which surprised me. I can’t imagine that Donovan will have another equally bad game this season.
I think we need to be realistic about Donovan’s foot situation. Rightly or wrongly he’s out there showing a lot of toughness when some guys in his situation would be sitting for another month or two. His size with his arms extended impacts shots even if he isn’t blocking as many as normal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Diarra is well liked by his teammates. While granted his shooting has a ceiling, Hassan’s ability to play uptempo offense and pressure defense creates his role on this team. He can also blow pass people with his dribble.

Reaction Score
6-foot-5 combo guard who can hit shots, make plays and get to the line. Also is earning something of a rep as a big game player with excellent half-court feel.

If he ends up with something like a 16/6/5 slash-line on 45/40/85 shooting splits and a 2.5-1 a/to ratio, bet he goes in the back half of the second round.
Tristen comes from a competitive Texas family of good athletes. He is just wired to compete mentally and physically. Then you mix that basketball with football and you get that toughness. That explains his defense and scoring after contact.

Reaction Score
Tristen comes from a competitive Texas family of good athletes. He is just wired to compete mentally and physically. Then you mix that basketball with football and you get that toughness. That explains his defense and scoring after contact.
He's just gotten better and better with more confidence. Great player.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

He's not getting drafted because he'll be 23 by the time of the draft.

I fully expect him to sign as a free agent, play summer league ball and get a training camp invite. Would not be surprised if he made a team on a two way contract, nor will I be surprised when he plays a real NBA game.

His long-term future is in Europe. And ain't nothing wrong or bad about that.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's not getting drafted because he'll be 23 by the time of the draft.
Yeah man, the back half of the second round is where older guys tend to get drafted. Jalen Pickett was an outlier at pick 32, but then look at the run of guys who were already 23 (or turned 23 before camp) 14 picks later:

Seth Lundy (46)
Jordan Miller (48)
Keyontae Johnston (50)
Jalen Wilson (51)
Toumani Camara (52)
Jalen Slawson (54)
Isaiah Wong (55)
Tarik Biberovic (56)

You’re right that Newton’s most likely outcome is Europe, but his age isn’t the impediment to getting picked late that you seem to think.

If he puts up numbers and plays well, he’s got a shot. Just look at Tyrese two years ago!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Give partial credit to our coaching staff for what we’re seeing from Tristen. It took a good part of last season for Tristen to transform from a ball dominant guard to a player who has learned when to take over a game and when to get his teammates involved.

His lack of athleticism is more than made up by his skills. Where he ends up will depend on how well UConn does this season. But wherever he ends up playing pro ball he'll be earning a lot more because of this transformation.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Diarra is what he came here to be - a defensive first guard and a distributor - he wasn't counted on to be a scorer - I felt he did a very decent job yesterday.
Cam - to me he looks hesitant to look for his shot in the first half of most every game. He sets up for a shot and gives us a shot fake and the dribbles to his left or right. Cam is a scorer and needs to come into the opening tap with that mentality. He has proven he can score and I am happy he is at UConn. He got his points but would love to see it start earlier.
DC - his foot injury has him playing a bit more cautiously than last season and I expect that should change real soon. The kid is a sophomore who only averaged 15 minutes a game last year. He will be fine.
Castle - with SC in the line-up UConn wins by over 30. He is that good.
Ball - Hoping he still gets run when SC does return - he has so much to offer - he's going to be a crowd favorite.
AK- Love the way he tells DH to not take him out when he gets into foul trouble and he stays in and produces - Kid is all heart with lots of skills.
SJ - Flashes of brilliance followed by head scratching plays - he is important to this team - hopefully consistency follows PT.
Newton - I didnt like his game at ECU but I love what I see this season - he knows how to use his body which is a lost art.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think we need to be realistic about Donovan’s foot situation. Rightly or wrongly he’s out there showing a lot of toughness when some guys in his situation would be sitting for another month or two. His size with his arms extended impacts shots even if he isn’t blocking as many as normal.
At this point I'm not sure if it's the lingering affect of the injury, his still being out of game shape or hesitation to prevent hurting it again. But yes these things can take a while before someone fully recovers.

Reaction Score
I think the thing I appreciate the most about Newton is the leadership he brings to the team. He's such a calm, collected player. You can see him joking around with the refs when he doesn't get a call instead of getting angry. He knows to settle the rest of the team down when things are getting tense.

You could tell the difference between us and Indiana in that regard. When things went rough for them, they got frustrated, and couldn't recover mentally. Whereas every time they got within striking distance, we calmly made our plays. I think Newton is a huge aspect in that.

Reaction Score
Newton seems to do whatever he wants to do on the court. If he wants to shoot, he shoots. If he wants to pass, he’ll pass. The defense doesn’t seem to be able to stop him from dictating and it’s fun to watch.
Was it TN himself or DH that said near the end of last year that he doesn't realize how good he can be?
We love his expression when he's on the FT line. Almost as if it's child's play for him and he's thinking "I'm going to make these so why do I have to go through the formality of taking the shots?"

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
At this point I'm not sure if it's the lingering affect of the injury, his still being out of game shape or hesitation to prevent hurting it again. But yes these things can take a while before someone fully recovers.
I went back and watched some tournament games after rewatching the IU game. He is not moving as well that is for certain. You don’t see it as much when he is running as you do when he is jumping. He also looks heavier. He may be filling out but we don’t want to see him any heavier than he is. I trust our coach and program would not be putting him out there if there was a significant risk or if he was not completely healed. he is still impacting the game in a big way. SJ is also very long and if he can learn to just not leave the floor on every shot fake from a smaller player he can cause problems at the basket for other teams. I was really impressed with that length when he got around Were to deflect that missed shot. It was a big play. He is looking better and better.

Reaction Score
Diarra is what he came here to be - a defensive first guard and a distributor - he wasn't counted on to be a scorer - I felt he did a very decent job yesterday.
Cam - to me he looks hesitant to look for his shot in the first half of most every game. He sets up for a shot and gives us a shot fake and the dribbles to his left or right. Cam is a scorer and needs to come into the opening tap with that mentality. He has proven he can score and I am happy he is at UConn. He got his points but would love to see it start earlier.
DC - his foot injury has him playing a bit more cautiously than last season and I expect that should change real soon. The kid is a sophomore who only averaged 15 minutes a game last year. He will be fine.
Castle - with SC in the line-up UConn wins by over 30. He is that good.
Ball - Hoping he still gets run when SC does return - he has so much to offer - he's going to be a crowd favorite.
AK- Love the way he tells DH to not take him out when he gets into foul trouble and he stays in and produces - Kid is all heart with lots of skills.
SJ - Flashes of brilliance followed by head scratching plays - he is important to this team - hopefully consistency follows PT.
Newton - I didnt like his game at ECU but I love what I see this season - he knows how to use his body which is a lost art.
Wow - I agree on all points, especially how Tristen’s ability use his body is a lost art.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I went back and watched some tournament games after rewatching the IU game. He is not moving as well that is for certain. You don’t see it as much when he is running as you do when he is jumping. He also looks heavier. He may be filling out but we don’t want to see him any heavier than he is. I trust our coach and program would not be putting him out there if there was a significant risk or if he was not completely healed. he is still impacting the game in a big way. SJ is also very long and if he can learn to just not leave the floor on every shot fake from a smaller player he can cause problems at the basket for other teams. I was really impressed with that length when he got around Were to deflect that missed shot. It was a big play. He is looking better and better.

He is slower, less explosive and about 10-15 lbs over his playing weight. He is literally playing himself in to shape after a month of little to no activity. There's only so much conditioning and weight lifting you can without using your feet at all for balance, stability or pushing off.

The DC we saw last March won't be ready until January 2024.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
What about the Andre Miller comparison? Tristen is a couple inches taller but Andre was never known for his amazing athleticism or great shooting; just a solid playmaker who made everyone else on the team better. Amazing stat: Miller missed only three games due to injury in his 17-year career:eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom