Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition

Reaction Score
Two conference road wins! Give Tristen Newton credit. Efficient points, rebounds and assists with good ball security.

My other two takeaways: Jackson played great defense on Spears and Sanogo is a consistent valuable player for us. Often to the Casual Fan great defense against a leading scorer is invisible, but it is an important factor in a game. Spears averages 17 points a game and today got zero (0). Jackson rebounds (10) and assists (7) and a good three did what we need to win. He also got the key rebound of the game that led to a Karaban 3.

Hawkins and Karaban gave us double figures and contributed to the win. Clingan also made some nice rim protection plays.

The disappointment again is not the number of turnovers but how our turnovers are often unforced and at critical moments, letting Georgetown back in the game. Another disappointment was the failure to go with a Double Big lineup that led to GT second shots and lack of rim protection in GT second half comeback.

Again our opponent has twice as many foul shots as we do. Tough obstacle to overcome and a significant reason why we are losing games or keeping what should be double digit win close. Part of that is on our players but it is also bigger than that.

Reaction Score
I swear 90% of our turnovers were unforced today. And at big turning points where we could have pulled away from GTown or shut down a GTown run.

Not sure how to fix not valuing the ball / not staying laser focused for 40 minutes.

The foul discrepancy and FT discrepancy was annoying...especially given that we are now actually penetrating into the lane much better and attacking the rim much more frequently.

Akok got a ton of body on Newton during that last "block"...and thats tough to do for a beanpole like Akok :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I talked about this in chat, but Hurley seems to have acknowledged that the “point forward” experiment did not work for us. With the ball in Jackson’s hands at the top of the three-point arc his lack of shooting in unwillingness to drive to the hoop was exposed. It also took the ball out of Newton’s hands. Tristan is now benefiting from the additional time with the ball. In someways, he is the anti-Jackson, able to take a big three or drive to the hoop.

Outstanding defense, by Jackson, on Primo. I have to complement Jackson on playing within himself and doing the things he does well to help the team. As we saw in this game, he can make an occasional open three but Hurley should tell him definitely don’t take any in the first five minutes of the game.

As Chief pointed out in his first sentence, we’ve got two Big East road wins in a row. Yeah, it’s against the bottom of the conference, but in the end, it will still help our road record for the selection committee. We’ve got to show that we can win against quality teams, but… two W’s in a row? I’ll take it.

Reaction Score
A win is a win is a win...

Newton solid, Jackson was everywhere. FT disparity is not great but I think the on-ball defense was actually an improvement. It doesn't seem it, but it really was. Very strong attention to detail.

Reaction Score
Something that bothers me about Hurley is his unwillingness to test things. Play the double big for 20 minutes one time and see what happens. Play zone for a full half and see how effective it is. Play Samson 20 minutes and see if he can be a contributor or not. This is how teams evolve and why everybody in the Big East has passed us as the season has went on.

Reaction Score
It is obvious AJ lacks confidence in his shooting. He needs to play to his strengths which is defense, rebounding, and assists. When he does this he will consistently score 6 to 10 points.
He's like a knockoff Ben Simmons, great defense but his lack of offensive skill/confidence just crushes our momentum on that end. There's too many possessions where we make the wrong type of extra pass; if we luck out and score it gets applauded as great ball movement, but it's really just working around his offensive limitations and the mental funk created by them that kind of permeates through the rest of the team. We don't play freely on the offensive end because everyone is bound by one guy's problem. I don't have a solution, just a frustrating observation.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Two conference road wins! Give Tristen Newton credit. Efficient points, rebounds and assists with good ball security.

My other two takeaways: Jackson played great defense on Spears and Sanogo is a consistent valuable player for us. Often to the Casual Fan great defense against a leading scorer is invisible, but it is an important factor in a game. Spears averages 17 points a game and today got zero (0). Jackson rebounds (10) and assists (7) and a good three did what we need to win. He also got the key rebound of the game that led to a Karaban 3.

Hawkins and Karaban gave us double figures and contributed to the win. Clingan also made some nice rim protection plays.

The disappointment again is not the number of turnovers but how our turnovers are often unforced and at critical moments, letting Georgetown back in the game. Another disappointment was the failure to go with a Double Big lineup that led to GT second shots and lack of rim protection in GT second half comeback.

Again our opponent has twice as many foul shots as we do. Tough obstacle to overcome and a significant reason why we are losing games or keeping what should be double digit win close. Part of that is on our players but it is also bigger than that.
Turnovers get me sick. Especially throwing errant passes inside or across court. We can talk about AJ's great defense. I agree. However, in my opinion, he is a turnover machine. His passes get picked off and trying to bounce pass under the hoop in a crowd. Seems like many in transition. I have not seen all of GT"s games, however I think they played their best game of the year. I was getting nervous. Every time we took a significant lead GT kept storming back with some threes. I was impressed with Sonogo and Joey finally nailed a three. Karaban my hero for today.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
It is obvious AJ lacks confidence in his shooting. He needs to play to his strengths which is defense, rebounding, and assists. When he does this he will consistently score 6 to 10 points.
Well, was three game ago or four games he was jacking threes left and right. One game the first 4 shots of the game were ugly threes. Probably coach and The Boneyard had seen enough. Now he is scared to take threes.

Reaction Score
Yes, Tristen was very good on offense. But did anyone else notice the man he was guarding scored 20? Last time we played GTown Spears lit him up. He really needs to play better defense

Reaction Score
Right on as usual. If Jackson only had a mid range game.
Needs to have a traditional jump shot to complement his floater. Hit , hang, and release get to the top before he releases.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Needs to have a traditional jump shot to complement his floater. Hit , hang, and release get to the top before he releases.
He missed an uncontested layup on a feed from Sanogo. I don't know what's going on with his offense.

Reaction Score

Totally agree on failure to use double big lineup— Adama & Donovan with Sam subbing to keep both out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I swear 90% of our turnovers were unforced today. And at big turning points where we could have pulled away from GTown or shut down a GTown run.

Not sure how to fix not valuing the ball / not staying laser focused for 40 minutes.

The foul discrepancy and FT discrepancy was annoying...especially given that we are now actually penetrating into the lane much better and attacking the rim much more frequently.

Akok got a ton of body on Newton during that last "block"...and thats tough to do for a beanpole like Akok :)
In the 2nd half I said to myself “I’m gonna watch and tally how many times we give the ball back from something other than bad offense.
5 in a row were either travels or silly fouls. There were certainly more in the game. If we went back and watched this one and look for those unforced errors we would see a ton.
Once I started paying attention to it I saw it the majority of the time

Reaction Score
I wonder what Georgetowns record would be if they had someone like Shaka Smart as their coach. They aren’t great but no way that should be a team with only 6 wins, they have some talent. One of those games for UConn that was simply: avoid the Q4 loss and keep it moving, job done there.

Reaction Score
I don't think he has a floater either. He has no touch, no finesse, and no confidence. Let him play defense and rebound and let someone else bring the ball up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom