Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition

Reaction Score
We got our mojo back, mid season slump over and done with. Win next Wednesday against Xavier and celebrate the turnaround at Andre’s Red Fox event Thursday. That’s Chief’s plan.

You are going to win most games when you have a 20% FG shooting advantage and a 2 to 1 rebounding advantage. Often the 4 out and 1 in beloved Casual Fans underestimate the value of rebounding and second shot attempts. In the first half when we built the lead, UConn had a 10 to 1 offensive rebounding advantage. We had more guys going to the both boards today and it made a difference. Gang rebounding is huge.

Maybe there’s something to Hurley bring masked up. LOL! We finally had the foul advantage. True, some of that was we went to the hoop more but was some of that psychological with the refs?

Hawkins, Newton and Diarra represented the backcourt well today. Still need to foul shooting better but defense, ball movement and FG shooting improved. I think Karaban is past his freshman slump and looking good.

After losing 5 of 6 was it really necessary to hold a rectangle object to block our draw up plays from someone’s view during timeouts? But, whatever seems to work, let’s go with it. They may know something I don’t.

Joey is pushing the ball on his 3 point shot and over shooting. He just needs to relax on his shot. He’s a good shooter.

Butter is not an overly physical team, so we need to repeat this performance against a muscle team to be 100% back. Double Big with Donovan and Adama is needed.

Reaction Score
The schedule played in our favor today going against a undermanned Butler team. It was a good game to get back to what was working earlier this year.

Today we excelled at :

.. Ball movement and spacing
.. Energy and hustle
.. Great help on defense
.. Attacking the rim
.. High assist and low turnover numbers
.. Rbounding dominance. Especially on the offensive boards.

The 14-0 team that started the season is still in these players. Let’s hope today’s play gets us back on track playing like we did during that stretch.

Reaction Score
Big difference when there are essentially no fouls and very few critical turnovers. Keep that up and the close games go our way. A bit more aggressive taking to hole today and much better start to second half. The 4 things they needed to get better at they did.

Reaction Score
Andre looking for his shot in the paint.. Newton going to the hoop.. Clingan showing off his "Adama" up-and-under move in the paint.. Reps for Samson.

Great to see them playing hard with help team D/Boards/sharing the ball and with smiles on their faces.

Bring on X

Reaction Score
Big difference when there are essentially no fouls and very few critical turnovers. Keep that up and the close games go our way. A bit more aggressive taking to hole today and much better start to second half. The 4 things they needed to get better at they did.
Two important factors - turnovers and fouls. Add rebounds, keep man in front on D and ball movement for good shots

Reaction Score
We played Butler at home. I don’t take much from this game. It’s good to blow someone out, but Butler likely is not even an NIT team.
A game like this is needed at times. It can can the players confidence back and groove back and get them back to what was working when they were dominating teams.

Reaction Score
Just want to say Adama was huge today but need Double Big and gang rebounding next game.
His defense and rebounding was outstanding today, and big reason for the win. It is disappointing with a big lead they didn’t experiment with the double big lineup.

Reaction Score
We got our mojo back, mid season slump over and done with. Win next Wednesday against Xavier and celebrate the turnaround at Andre’s Red Fox event Thursday. That’s Chief’s plan.

You are going to win most games when you have a 20% FG shooting advantage and a 2 to 1 rebounding advantage. Often the 4 out and 1 in beloved Casual Fans underestimate the value of rebounding and second shot attempts. In the first half when we built the lead, UConn had a 10 to 1 offensive rebounding advantage. We had more guys going to the both boards today and it made a difference. Gang rebounding is huge.

Maybe there’s something to Hurley bring masked up. LOL! We finally had the foul advantage. True, some of that was we went to the hoop more but was some of that psychological with the refs?

Hawkins, Newton and Diarra represented the backcourt well today. Still need to foul shooting better but defense, ball movement and FG shooting improved. I think Karaban is past his freshman slump and looking good.

After losing 5 of 6 was it really necessary to hold a rectangle object to block our draw up plays from someone’s view during timeouts? But, whatever seems to work, let’s go with it. They may know something I don’t.

Joey is pushing the ball on his 3 point shot and over shooting. He just needs to relax on his shot. He’s a good shooter.

Butter is not an overly physical team, so we need to repeat this performance against a muscle team to be 100% back. Double Big with Donovan and Adama is needed.
Last sentence regarding using “Double Big” (especially against tougher, future competition) is more than worthy of consideration. I’m beginning to think, however, that, that’s not going to ever happen under the present coaching approach.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Good game today. Yes it’s Butler but a softer game after the recent stretch will hopefully remind them that “oh right, we can dominate teams”.

Reaction Score
Spot on re: Hurley and the mask, he 100% should wear it until we lose. Probably has a very limited effect on the refs (if at all) but whatever it takes for him and the officials to ease up on each other I’m all for.

I kinda hope Samson is thrown into the fire vs Xavier. We NEED improved defense at the 4 spot even if it’s just for 5 min on Wednesday. I’ve said all along he compliments Sanogo defensively so well in theory (with AK and DC being great complimentary with each other as well). If we’re gonna win games in March, a Samson/Sanogo frontline will play a critical role — Samson’s length alone can negate Sanogos lack of length in an ideal world, something of course Alex is also limited by (which Clingan makes up for).

Still weary of Adama guarding 4s, especially Fremantle. To be honest I don’t really trust anyone, Samson included, vs Fremantle but he probably gives us our best shot from a physical standpoint. We of course don’t know where he’s at skill wise defensively at this time…

Reaction Score
We played Butler at home. I don’t take much from this game. It’s good to blow someone out, but Butler likely is not even an NIT team.
They are not a good team but they aren't the worst. They basically have the same record as Nova and Nova has a legitimate shot at losing their next 3 games.

Reaction Score
Agreed although moving without the ball and passing the rock was back
Hopefully because it was discussed by Hurley not because of the talent level they were playing
Hopefully zone defense will be against Xavier

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Just want to say Adama was huge today but need Double Big and gang rebounding next game.
He wasn’t huge.

Butler was worse today than stonehill. I took nothing positive out of this game except for the fact that maybe this win is the mental kick we need to compete again. Let’s hope. I sure do. We needed this.

We gave up the same open stuff that other teams have killed us with and butler couldn’t hit side of barn. And we got foul calls offensively on weak stuff we don’t get against the teams that beat us.

I know I will get a bunch of down arrows, I don’t care. But anyone who does give those, I ask you to rewatch first 8 minutes with starters and tell me Newton and Sanogo ( the two players who have to be good for us to turn this around considering hurleys plan) and tell me it didn’t look exactly how we’ve looked in our losses.

I watched today for more than a win, I watched it to quote @RobDauster, for an “identity” . I didn’t see it. We out talented a mediocre team playing even worse than they are with their best player injured, on our home floor, as we should.

I would’ve been happier with 15 point win with bates in and butler playing well. It would’ve helped us more.

But we had to have it and I’m glad. Hopefully it’s a building block with an awesome team coming in this week.

Reaction Score
The only “double big” you are going to get is if Johnson plays with clingan or sanogo. Sanogo and clingan both need to guard opposing bigs defensively, so unless you play zone…..or play the rare college team with 2 near the paint bigs…..it won’t happen.

Reaction Score
This UConn team reminds me of a young heavyweight phenom . We can literally destroy teams or guy that can’t punch back or respond to our physical supremacy. Because of that that we get an impressive string of KO’s. Then we meet a good experienced journeyman who not only can take the punch but can hit back. So far in our career we responded by losing confidence.
This was a tomato can . If we actually grew as a contender we will find out our next game.

Reaction Score
The only “double big” you are going to get is if Johnson plays with clingan or sanogo. Sanogo and clingan both need to guard opposing bigs defensively, so unless you play zone…..or play the rare college team with 2 near the paint bigs…..it won’t happen.
I’m begging
PLAY ZONE!!!!!

Reaction Score
Last sentence regarding using “Double Big” (especially against tougher, future competition) is more than worthy of consideration. I’m beginning to think, however, that, that’s not going to ever happen under the present coaching approach.
Yes you are right
I don’t think Hurley knows how to teach zone

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That was relaxing. Game wasn't in doubt.
Glad to see UConn take advantage of a depleted Butler team and pick apart every weakness of the short bench.

Butler missed some open 3's in first 10 min of game which would have made it interesting a little longer.

Things I like best- Sanogo aggressive on defensive boards, Newton aggressive driving to the hoop, Karaban with the catch and shoot.

Reading way too much in to it but going forward the team will showcase Hawkins as the primary scorer and Sanogo has to take a supporting role. Even against a smaller depleted Butler team Sanogo couldn't explode above and through the defense.
Fully healthy team heading in to X at home.
And you know the Gampel crowd will be up for it.

Reaction Score
I thought they played with purpose, intensity, and teamwork. That is enough to make me optimistic for the next game. Play with the same intensity against X and I think they'll be on the upswing again. Great job today.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They are not a good team but they aren't the worst. They basically have the same record as Nova and Nova has a legitimate shot at losing their next 3 games.
Now imagine Nova playing w/o Dixon. That's basically the handicap Butler had today w/o Bates - and Butler doesn't even have a Slater or Whitmore.

It's a much needed win, and a blowout at that for confidence. Probably the most one could/should read into it is that we handily beat a team that we should've beat handily, which wasn't the case vs Johnnies. But IDK if it means much regarding X or Creighton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom