Chicago Sun-Times: Big10 Will Add 15 & 16 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chicago Sun-Times: Big10 Will Add 15 & 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Says he wants more sports featured, namely lacrosse.
Does so by adding partial Johns Hopkins and may be looking to grab more Ivies.
But doesn't want to "dilute" things.

Does not add up.

Reaction Score
To me, UConn is in an awkward position right now. Both the Big 10 and the ACC both know that they can have us any time they want us, just by asking. So no need to rush. Except that both also know that they can't let the other take us. So its a bit of a game of chicken with UConn, and by extension the NY metro area, as the prize. Neither is really in a position to expand right now, however, as both are trying to digest recent mediocre (to be charitable) additions.

Reaction Score
Even if this new found attention from the Midwest is just flirting. It can only benefit us with regards to The ACC and ESPN. It was one thing for The ACC and ESPN to leave us on the sidelines 3 years ago because The ACC always felt we’d be there for the taking (that was even in some reports to that the day Lville was taken) and ESPN had us on the cheap. Now that we might look attractive to The BIG 10 we will look more attractive to the ACC.

Now here is where I speculate a bit. My guess is FOX goes in full force and takes the upcoming BIG rights all to themselves, spends a mint to establish FoxSports 1 and 2, just like they did when they started FOX and took The NFL package from CBS for a pretty penny. The result a fourth network that competes with the 3 untouchables. This would be the same strategy against the untouchable ESPN. Murdolch is on record, he’s going to be losing big on FOX Sports at first to compete. UConn and its NY and New England location is much more valuable to the BIG with FOX’s needs then it is to ESPN’s needs if The Big stayed with ESPN. Inversely though if ESPN loses the BIG contract, Uconn just became a lot more valuable to ESPN. Owning UConn for next to nothing is great for ESPN but not owning UCONN at all is a problem. A problem with the fight for NYC and for the consequences to their beloved ACC.

There would be some irony in an outcome where the school that is so critical in the birth of what is now ESPN, plays a role in the creation of a real competitor to its dominance.

Reaction Score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news by Delany said this just yesterday:

Q: What would it take for the Big Ten to expand again? What would you need to gain in order to be interested in expanding again?

A: If you're thinking of building a conference and keeping tradition alive, building fan bases and natural rivalries, movement beyond where we are probably needs to be looked at in a very suspicious kind of way. You dilute yourself the larger you get. … I don't know what would have to happen. … I think everybody is just trying to take what's occurred, live it, make it solid and it's very hard in the environment we're in over the next five-to-seven years, to see more change.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ioner-jim-delany-question-and-answer/8774193/

But, he was at the NCAA regional final at MSG and it was pretty clear that while UConn and Michigan St are not historical rivals, both sides showed-up in force with very large wallets and very large lungs.

Reaction Score
Even if this new found attention from the Midwest is just flirting. It can only benefit us with regards to The ACC and ESPN. It was one thing for The ACC and ESPN to leave us on the sidelines 3 years ago because The ACC always felt we’d be there for the taking (that was even in some reports to that the day Lville was taken) and ESPN had us on the cheap. Now that we might look attractive to The BIG 10 we will look more attractive to the ACC.

Now here is where I speculate a bit. My guess is FOX goes in full force and takes the upcoming BIG rights all to themselves, spends a mint to establish FoxSports 1 and 2, just like they did when they started FOX and took The NFL package from CBS for a pretty penny. The result a fourth network that competes with the 3 untouchables. This would be the same strategy against the untouchable ESPN. Murdolch is on record, he’s going to be losing big on FOX Sports at first to compete. UConn and its NY and New England location is much more valuable to the BIG with FOX’s needs then it is to ESPN’s needs if The Big stayed with ESPN. Inversely though if ESPN loses the BIG contract, Uconn just became a lot more valuable to ESPN. Owning UConn for next to nothing is great for ESPN but not owning UCONN at all is a problem. A problem with the fight for NYC and for the consequences to their beloved ACC.

There would be some irony in an outcome where the school that is so critical in the birth of what is now ESPN, plays a role in the creation of a real competitor to its dominance.
...and how awesome would it be to have UConn in CT being part of a Fox Brand while ESPN sits in Bristol CT!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm half-way done with the American Revolution series on the American History Channel.

The last hour long segment I watched showed the British repeatedly trying to come down from Canada by way of the Hudson in order to splinter off New England from NY and the rest of the colonies while attempting to deal a fatal blow to the rebellion. General Begoyne was rebuffed and ultimately had to surrender in embarassing fashion to General Gates.

If Begoyne's mission is any indication, than I suggest Delany learn from the mistakes of the British. Try to cut off New England and you ultimately lose.
Shouldn't you be watching "The Vikings"?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But, he was at the NCAA regional final at MSG and it was pretty clear that while UConn and Michigan St are not historical rivals, both sides showed-up in force with very large wallets and very large lungs.

I'll put it more bluntly than that: He saw Michigan State, one of the best teams in his conference, with one of its strongest and largest fan bases, come to NYC, the city they so desperately want to plant their flag in. He saw Michigan State and Spartan green get swallowed in a cascade of blue. He saw UConn play a home game in "B1G country." He saw first hand that NYC turns blue at the snap of a finger, and just how forceful our presence there actually is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
1) New B1G contract effective 1/2017 so need to have teams in place 12/2016.
2) UConn has a 27 month exit clause.
3) 27 months prior to 12/2016 is 9/2014.
4) Sixty days from May 6th is July 4th, 2014. Are those dates close enough for you? Thus..
5) July 4th is UConn's Independence Day.

QED

Reaction Score
'Now here is where I speculate a bit. My guess is FOX goes in full force and takes the upcoming BIG rights all to themselves, spends a mint to establish FoxSports 1 and 2, just like they did when they started FOX and took The NFL package from CBS for a pretty penny. The result a fourth network that competes with the 3 untouchables. This would be the same strategy against the untouchable ESPN. Murdolch is on record, he’s going to be losing big on FOX Sports at first to compete. UConn and its NY and New England location is much more valuable to the BIG with FOX’s needs then it is to ESPN’s needs if The Big stayed with ESPN. Inversely though if ESPN loses the BIG contract, Uconn just became a lot more valuable to ESPN. Owning UConn for next to nothing is great for ESPN but not owning UCONN at all is a problem. A problem with the fight for NYC and for the consequences to their beloved ACC.

That is similar to He1nousOne's post on the CSNBBs board where he said that ESPN was pushing UConn to the Big Ten because they would not cut a deal with the ACC to add Uconn.

It isn't necessarily true but it isn't necessarily not true. The Tournament is over and thus business picked back up. UConn's championship got them a few extra looks. A certain Network is pushing them HARD towards the Big Ten because their toy conference seems to think taking UConn is equivalent to ESPN having to put forward a conference network for them.
Whether it happens or not? To be honest, I am hearing so many varying stories right now that there are a lot of self interests being served at this point. It does tell me though that we are nearing the point of something big actually happening.
August is still the target for implementation.

Reaction Score
That is similar to He1nousOne's post on the CSNBBs board where he said that ESPN was pushing UConn to the Big Ten because they would not cut a deal with the ACC to add Uconn.

H1 believes (my interpretation of his interpretation) that the ACC hopes that by getting UConn they would gain political clout with the World Wide Leader, and thus, a network.

Reaction Score
I'll put it more bluntly than that: He saw Michigan State, one of the best teams in his conference, with one of its strongest and largest fan bases, come to NYC, the city they so desperately want to plant their flag in. He saw Michigan State and Spartan green get swallowed in a cascade of blue. He saw UConn play a home game in "B1G country." He saw first hand that NYC turns blue at the snap of a finger, and just how forceful our presence there actually is.

love this

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Conspiracy Kitty says:
4) Sixty days from May 6th is July 4th, 2014. Are those dates close enough for you? Thus..

QED
You had me at Hello.
Actually, I love the math on #'s 1, 2 & 3. I like the symbolism of #5. Was #4 just a math play to get to #5? Did Conspiracy Kitty pull a number out of thin air? That darn cat!

Reaction Score

I expected a nice visual to follow of a B1G cheerleader with nice, uh, lungs. Yeah, nice lungs.

Reaction Score
What if we are already in the B1G but its being kept quiet so we can accept an ACC invite and feed back info as a double agent?

Reaction Score
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:

QED
So, are we doomed, or not doomed?

U

UCONNfan1

So which schools are the most likely or logical targets of going to the Big 10? Would they raid the ACC before adding us? It seems like BCU or Syracuse would be a ridiculous choice for them. I'm just trying to figure out in my brain what schools we'd be competing against for a possible expansion of 2 schools.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm relatively new to the board, although I've been following conversations here related to conference realignment for a while. Is anyone concerned about Navy potentially sliding in ahead of UConn for a spot? I feel like the ACC may have an eye on them, but haven't heard anything recently or in conjunction with the B1G?
Some have opined the ACC could work a Navy football/Georgetown all other sports as #16. If if hurts UConn, it's a possibility.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
So, are we doomed, or not doomed?

We are going to land somewhere outside of the AAC it just a matter if they go P5 or consolidate to 4 though we are not a lock if we go to a power 4.

I hear that schools are going to be leaving if they move to 4 conferences and that is just pure lies spread by those who are bent on those on the outside finding a home in a P5. The money is going to be so big that the Wake Forests, Dukes, Northwesterns, Iowa St., will easily afford covering the costs of these students expenses and more. They can upgrade at will and will never ever leave. So if there is just a slight move in realignment we will fall into one of the 5 conferences. Who cares where as long as we make it in. Conferences and teams are not saintly as we have seen and none will bow out in the name of academics.

But lets say that they do force out a Kansas St., Wake Forest, Duke, Baylor, Iowa St., BC (shudder), Syracuse (wretch), Texas Tech, Washington St., Oregon St., with a Cincy and Memphis (mercy reasons only) etc… we make an alignment with them and viola we are in an instantly better league both athletically and/or academically.

No need to panic any time soon. We just have to wait for those in charge of the other leagues to make up their mind finally about what they want to look like or for Emmert to screw them over again one last time.

Reaction Score

To be fair, there are a lot of UConn alumni in NYC and its suburbs, myself included; but the rest of NYC only turns blue when that team WINS. No one within roughly 500 miles (UNC and Duke are about 500 miles away by car) of Times Square has more NCAA men’s titles than UConn. Thus, the Huskies get a lot of love in the Big Apple. That is what the B1G saw.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If my theory is correct, Athletics suffers (is potentially doomed) because it can't get a direct payout from the B1G. Secret B1G payments would be funneled to puppetry (not doomed).

Reaction Score
Just curious, was Delaney at the Michigan State-UConn game at MSG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom