Chicago Sky | The Boneyard

Chicago Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
eked out another win over Phoenix last night with a last minute bucket.

Hard to believe that Phoenix can play winning BB with Griner taking 5 shots.

They seem like a team going through the motions.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

I think they're chillin' til the Olympics... plus DT and BG are probably tired of playing for pennies, who knows

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Per Griner just taking 5 shots: hard to believe they can win when she gets tossed some 15 minutes into the game for sticking her hand into Cappie P's face. Chicago win's on a putback at the buzzer that Griner may very well have rebounded/not allowed to happen if she was in the game.

However, I agree that the team seems to go through stages of playing with thorough disinterest.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Per Griner just taking 5 shots: hard to believe they can win when she gets tossed some 15 minutes into the game for sticking her hand into Cappie P's face. Chicago win's on a putback at the buzzer that Griner may very well have rebounded/not allowed to happen if she was in the game.

However, I agree that the team seems to go through stages of playing with thorough disinterest.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Mercury were +11 without Griner.

This article looks funnier with each passing indifferent performance - Why are these WNBA stars in Russia? It's not just about the money

This line is pretty good - "She's... checked herself into a crash course on maturity -- taught by Taurasi." Well, how's that going for them? Taurasi got suspended for accumulated technicals and Griner got ejected for pushing Cappie way after the fact. I can sort of excuse "heat of the moment" stuff but she had plenty of time to walk away.

And this line has summed up the Mercury's season - "It's all about right here," says Todd Troxel, an assistant for both UMMC and the Phoenix Mercury. "This is the big paycheck -- for all of us. We all love Phoenix, but ultimately it's all about here."

The Mercury are built around those two being superstars and yet the one Mercury player in top 10 of the PER rankings is....Penny Taylor.

As for the Sky, they have lost a bunch of close ones this year, so it's nice to get two last-second wins in a row and even that out a bit. They are shorthanded right now with Clarissa Dos Santos and Erika de Souza have left to join up with the Brazil national team. And Cheyenne Parker is banged up. So they are going with an 8 player rotation and just EDD, Breland, and Boyette for bigs. They can get to .500 before the Olympic break with a win against the Sun on Friday night.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Cappie was playing one hell of a game and her ejection from the hurt Chicago much more than BG's ejection hurt Phoenix. Phoenix played inspired ball when Griner got tossed. The team really rallied and took the lead but then all of the guards decided to play "hero ball" and kept launching bombs from 25 feet instead of playing disciplined ball and getting a good shot or getting to the FT line, which is what Chicago was doing.

That one rebound did not cost Phoenix the game, it was the 10 poor shots before it that cost them the game. And BTW, since when has BG been depended upon to snag a big rebound? ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
IMO, DT and BG do not want to be on this team this year and it shows. Neither seem to be giving their max effort and the Mercury are suffering as a consequence. I just don't think you can come from a long season in one league and then just turn it on for the next league. They had no time to re-energize.

I hope the Olympic break gives them time to re-evaluate what they are doing and hopefully Geno can get in their ear and give them a lesson or two that they need right now. I said in a previous thread that I don't anticipate either of them returning to the WNBA next season and the more I watch them play the more convinced I am that I'm right. They are both playing with an "" attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom