Chicago Sky Waives South Carolina's Aleighsa Welch | The Boneyard

Chicago Sky Waives South Carolina's Aleighsa Welch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ugh, that was quick. Probably even a bit painful for Dawn Staley.

Sky_3.jpg

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
and that's with Sylvia Fowles not in camp. Thought she would last a couple of weeks.

I've previously heard that some draftees/free agents don't keep up with their conditioning after the College season ends or think because they were in shape for College that's all they had to do. WNBA is much tougher.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The WNBA is a very small club. Maybe she will land somewhere else. She had a lot of heart for her team, but the talent for the next level I did not see.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ugh, that was quick. Probably even a bit painful for Dawn Staley.

Not surprised. I'm guessing Pokey wanted a look at her because Chicago has lacked depth at the 4 recently. But she's awful small for a post and doesn't have any outside game to play 3.

She doesn't do anything as a forward that Tamera Young doesn't already do and Young is a very good wing defender in addition.

Reaction Score
She was a "tweener" even at the college level. At SoCar, her will and desire were enough to make her effective, just no way at the pro level. I'm not surprised at all.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm actually very surprised. I am guessing someone will pick her up pretty quickly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Welch was a really tough player, but lacking offensive skills, much like Kelly Faris. I was hoping she would make it, but this doesn't totally surprise me. I wonder if USC will have enough mental toughness without her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Her range doesn't extend much beyond 5-10 feet from the basket which is a problem at 6-0. Remember how UConn gave her the short jumper all game and I don't think she even attempted one.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not surprised. I'm guessing Pokey wanted a look at her because Chicago has lacked depth at the 4 recently. But she's awful small for a post and doesn't have any outside game to play 3.

She doesn't do anything as a forward that Tamera Young doesn't already do and Young is a very good wing defender in addition.
and Tamera Young is a veteran... rookies are not coming in taking spots like they may think.

Reaction Score
I am surprised. Like others have stated, Welch doesn't give you much on the offensive end but her grit, defense, and leadership skills are pretty solid. At least wait until you play a few preseason games to see what she does for the team. Oh well I am sure some team will pick her up.

Reaction Score
I thought Welch was a really tough player, but lacking offensive skills, much like Kelly Faris. I was hoping she would make it, but this doesn't totally surprise me. I wonder if USC will have enough mental toughness without her.
I agree Milford. This also brings into question how good SC is as a team next year in terms of talent. I know she was a tweener, but her total skill set was lacking.

Reaction Score
Better chances for Betnijah Laney to make the team, I think. :D

I agree and I am thrilled! Welsh and Laney are similar players in terms of height, toughness, hustle, defense and rebounding etc. But Betnijah has a far better offensive skill set (handle, play SG/SF and consistent short game). She finally got to show it all by the end of the season where she handled the ball more, initiating the offense when Rutger's injured back court and showed that her range extended to the 3 pt line.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Just for context, here is what the Sky's roster looks like. I think the following are locks for the roster :

PG: Vandersloot, Faulkner

SG: Pondexter, Quigley, Clements

SF: Delle Donne, Young

PF: Breland

C: Parker, Gatling

The other players in camp are:

Others: Dos Santos (C), Gemelos (G), Laney (G/F), Goodlett (C)

I think one of the centers is definitely making it - Goodlett probably has the inside track because she was a rotation player last year. That would put Chicago at 3 centers and one power forward but Parker, Delle Donne, and Young all can and likely will play PF at times.

So Welch was basically competing against Laney and Gemelos for the final spot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
a rookie bringing leadership skills to a WNBA team... very rare

A player can lead on the floor with effort, or even in practice by working harder than anyone else and setting an example. Leadership doesn't always have to be verbal.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I'm actually very surprised. I am guessing someone will pick her up pretty quickly.
Really? Her mobility wasn't all that great at the college level. Can someone find that clip where she got knocked down in the ND game. She literally had to go to a knee to get back up... in slow motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom