OT: - Cheeseburger and Fries Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Cheeseburger and Fries Thread

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I thought In and Out was pretty overrated last time i had it.

Overrated compared to what though? I had my first one in November. Double, fries, drink came out to around $8.25. And compared to other burgers/fries/soda combos around $8.25, I'd put it at least in top two of fast-food burgers I've had (e.g. not comparing to Plan B, but to McD's/BK/Wendy's/Sonic/Duchess, et.al.).

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Blazers Pub in Purdys, NY has the best cheeseburger I’ve ever eaten.

Reaction Score
We’ve got a reco for an unknown location in Columbia.

Anyone have something in say... Wethersfield?
Aroma Bistro is supposed to be good. Haven't been tho. I can tell you where not to go lol.

GoldBurger in Newington is damn solid. Maxburger in WH. Plan B in WH and GBury too.

As an aside, my wife and I will often go out for dinner with her sister and her husband. My brother-in-law will 9 times out of 10 order the burger. Doesn't much matter where we go. Seafood, Mexican, steak place, whatever... the burger, please. Unless it's Italian, then it's always the chicken parm. Repressed weirdo. Consequently, I almost never order a burger, just because I like to see what else these places can do.

@CTBasketball might have to try that burger at Rooster Co. I always want to eat their other stuff, which is usually pretty good, never gave much consideration to their burger offering before.

Reaction Score
My favorite "cheeseburger" is a burger with Swiss and mushrooms at 80/20. Simple but delicious.

Reaction Score
Just wait until the mouthbreathers that cruise the Turnpike see the one that's opening soon. Somebody's gonna get knifed.

One thing both have in common is they are both located really close to a Walmart. It’s a very important demographic. Berlin will be a huge success.

Reaction Score
I'd recommend the burgers at Prime16 in New Haven, Park & Oak in West Hartford, Aroma Bistro in Wethersfield and Bobby's burgers @ Mohegan in CT.

Loved the burgers and fries at Wild Willy's in Watertown, MA and Craigie on Main in Cambridge when I used to live in Boston.

As far as out west, I was more of a fan of fatburger than in-n-out.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife insists on turkey burgers. Sure the meat is healthier but I need to use 2 eggs and a buttload of breadcrumbs so they don’t turn to absolute mush on the grill.
We don't do turkey. Opt for ground chicken. Spray the grates and compress that seasoned patty a bit. Should be fine. And pimento sticks. Need pimento sticks.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They are still open? I used to work a few hundreds yards up the road 20 years ago. Hadn’t thought of that place in forever.
85% accurate on the exact facts:
About two months ago, they announced their closing weekend on a Wednesday, gave themselves Thursday off (or was it Friday?) to set up for the grand farewell. By the time the buzz had built & people organized around stopping by one last time, they announced that they'd made arrangements with creditors & others, and the Duck still floats. New Coke-ish, for those whose memory goes back as far as 1985.

As for Shake Shack, not because of anything as legit as the Wooster Street oven producing better pizzas than any other Pepe's, I've enjoyed Bryant Park's Shake Shack any time I've eaten from there, but never in the few times children dragged me there in Westport , so much so that I've never considered going in New Haven, and I'd easily sign on for the thumbs down sentiment.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Knuckleheads in Wallingford consistently puts out excellent burgers. My go-to is the Big Kahuna burger with the pineapple and bacon.

Reaction Score
DB Bistro Moderne in Manhattan....preferably with the black truffles.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Cory’s used to be good but haven’t been in a few years. I don’t really like plan b or max. Birch hill tavern is good. Prime 16.

Reaction Score
Main Pub in Manchester makes really really good burgers, even if Hungry Tiger claims the best burgers in town ;). I’m actually really happy no one has said Shady Glen. Obviously the fried cheese is good but the burger itself is not special and I need about 5 to be full.
The tiger is probably the last place I’d buy a burger

temery

What?
Reaction Score
One patty down, and place an ice cube in the middle, along with your choice of cheese. Fold the cheese in so it doesn't leak out. Then put another patty on top, and seal around the edges.

Grill three minutes on each side.

Buttered (garlic butter) bread grilled on one side.

It may take a couple tries to get it right.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
How do fast food burgers come up in a thread about the “best cheeseburger”? I love me some in-out and Shake shack but they don’t belong in this thread. Au Cheval Diner in Chicago, Kuma Burger Chicago, Mustards Grill in Napa, Hodads in San Diego. Those are good fricken cheeseburgers. My homer choice for best burger; The Lucky Beaver in Reno, NV. So damned good. Home | Lucky Beaver Bar & Burger

Reaction Score
Thank You. All hype, no substance.

When someone starts raving about Shake Shack I immediately discount any of their food opinions.

There's some good burgers in NYC - I'm partial to JG Melon.

Reaction Score
My personal recipe for the best burger:
  • Equal parts of meat and high heat—char the meat on the outside, but keep it at least somewhat pink in the middle.
  • A dash, or two—or, up to twelve—favored condiments, seasonings, side dishes…whatever…to taste.
  • Enjoy.

Reaction Score
The Social and Fatboys on Bank St. In New London. The Engine Room in Mystic was too hit or miss so we stopped going.

Reaction Score
I have the opposite problem than you guys in CT. I can't name 8 places where I'd truly enjoy the pizza, but I can swing a cat and hit 8 places with solid burger game.

To @Mano's point on "cohesion", one of my favorite burgers in town is a fresh ground including from short ribs with a wonderful aioli, but is put between a challah bun that disintegrates before you're half way through. Messy as hell, but delicious nonetheless.
Had to work in Joplin MO for a month. Literally every non-franchise joint I tried was fanastic. Supplied by local purveyors the town is surrounded by beef herds. One Red Lobster for seafood lovers.

Reaction Score
Vortex in ATL. I get their Blue Shroom burger. At home, Publix Market ground meat seems to work the best for me

Reaction Score
Max Burger East Longmeadow MA just the burger salad is great but their burgers are always good.

The Italian Job at Plan B at the Hoops HOF Springfield it’s actually a chicken burger great flavor.

Standard bacon Cheeseburger @ The Rathskeller in Wakefield RI.

Ted’s in Meriden the steamed burgers are great.

At home key for me is the roll. If you don’t have fresh poppy seed rolls or sesame seed at least you’re in trouble. If you can’t get them maybe a foot potato roll will suffice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom