Charlton has been one of our best coordinators, and yes I want him gone!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charlton has been one of our best coordinators, and yes I want him gone!!!

Reaction Score
I think they can. Or at least have their duties and scope altered.

Like, it would be a real shame if we brought in an actual QB Coach that also called the plays, and made the playbook.
I know nothing about football coaches’ contracts. Having said that, it is standard in an executive’s employment contract to have a clause that says a material diminution in duties allows the executive to quit and treat it as if he or she was fired for severance purposes.

Reaction Score
I’m sure there are guys out there who will would take an OC job at UConn. Probably every FCS head coach, OC would do it. And a number of G5 OCs would too. And some of them are very creative.

Remember we played #20, 23 and 25 plus 2 more P5s. That is going to hurt offensive output. I’m not saying ours was good. It was not! But 18 points/game was influenced by facing 5 teams that simply had better talent. We could have played all week and not scored more than 3 against Tennessee. They were just that much better than us.

Reaction Score
I’m sure there are guys out there who will would take an OC job at UConn. Probably every FCS head coach, OC would do it. And a number of G5 OCs would too. And some of them are very creative.

Remember we played #20, 23 and 25 plus 2 more P5s. That is going to hurt offensive output. I’m not saying ours was good. It was not! But 18 points/game was influenced by facing 5 teams that simply had better talent. We could have played all week and not scored more than 3 against Tennessee. They were just that much better than us.

I don’t agree with this at all.

The perception of UConn is that we downgraded/defunded football to save Women’s Basketball.

It may not be a wholly accurate perception but that is the shared reality outside of the UConn bubble.

Every FCS coach? You think Chesney or the NDSU coach are dropping everything to come deal with this? I don’t think so.

It will take a long time to get the stink off.

Reaction Score

The perception of UConn is that we downgraded/defunded football to save Women’s Basketball.

It may not be a wholly accurate perception but that is the shared reality outside of the UConn bubble.

Every FCS coach? You think Chesney or the NDSU coach are dropping everything to come deal with this? I don’t think so.

No, the perception was that we downgraded to save Basketball, both programs. Heck, the women's program had won 3 titles in a row while in AAC.

Stop trying to paint everything in the darkest light possible.

Reaction Score
No, the perception was that we downgraded to save Basketball, both programs. Heck, the women's program had won 3 titles in a row while in AAC.

Stop trying to paint everything in the darkest light possible.

I’m not. This is actually what people think. And there isn’t a material difference between what you said and what I said.

Nobody protects basketball by hurting football. Even schools like Duke and KU don’t do that.

Coaches don’t believe they will be supported at UConn. That’s the perception we have to change.

Reaction Score
Or Rhode Island. Didn't they light up one of our opponents that we could barely score on?

We were also one of the few teams that couldn’t put up 400 yards offense and 50 points against USF.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about football coaches’ contracts. Having said that, it is standard in an executive’s employment contract to have a clause that says a material diminution in duties allows the executive to quit and treat it as if he or she was fired for severance purposes.
If they're in the union are they considered executives? How do they get to have their cake and eat it too?

Reaction Score
If they're in the union are they considered executives? How do they get to have their cake and eat it too?

I'm not saying coordinators are executives, nor do I have any experience as to employment contracts of unionized employees. I was merely making the point that it is very common in employment contracts that telling someone hired to do one job and then being told to perform a much lower level one does in fact allow them to quit and receive severance as if they were fired.

Reaction Score

First of all, it was a figure of speech. Obviously there are exceptions but a large number would. If Cheney wants to coach at the FBS level he might. He has been considered for a couple of jobs and not gotten them. A stint as a successful and or innovative FBS coordinator might be the thing that gets him over the hump. FCS head coaches don’t often get FBS jobs. FBS coordinators do. I don’t know what his career goals are but if FBS head coach is one, he might very well take it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
'Are coaches guaranteed a specific job? Can an assistant coach be pd by contract but demoted to equipment manager (just an example)?
Probably not, under the CBA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And, Charlton got a $125,000 raise from 2022 to 2023. He went from $375,000 to $500,000. Where's the ROI?
Well, for him, it's been a pretty good return.

Reaction Score
'Are coaches guaranteed a specific job? Can an assistant coach be pd by contract but demoted to equipment manager (just an example)?
He could be demoted to equipment manager but do we really want to see if he runs that like he runs the offense? Guys wouldn’t get uniforms until ghe 3rd quarter

Reaction Score
I’m not. This is actually what people think. And there isn’t a material difference between what you said and what I said.

Nobody protects basketball by hurting football. Even schools like Duke and KU don’t do that.

Coaches don’t believe they will be supported at UConn. That’s the perception we have to change.
You are comparing two schools who are in P4 conferences. It is not remotely close to our situation. You dont think that if Kansas and Duke were in the American and saw that their future was going to be behind a paywall surrounded by a bunch of directional schools they wouldn't make a move?

Reaction Score
You are comparing two schools who are in P4 conferences. It is not remotely close to our situation. You dont think that if Kansas and Duke were in the American and saw that their future was going to be behind a paywall surrounded by a bunch of directional schools they wouldn't make a move?
What Zoo said is still true though. Regardless of the actuality of the situation, that was the general perception. Further enforced by then cancelling our entire football season like a year later. Leaving the AAC had a profound impact on our athletics reputation. Showed we really cared about basketball (which is great) but didn’t care about the rest.

Reaction Score

Not sure how far outside the bubble you need to be to hear that. If we had stayed in the AAC for football, we risked losing the $ we received for wbb as SNY was no longer in the picture. Add that to the fact that the AAC was becoming a feeder league for P5 leagues, and we sucked in almost everything but wbb, many thought a change back to the BE was appropriate.

The true perception of UConn is that we're a basketball first school. Like Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky. The only difference is that ESPN hasn't destroyed their leagues yet.

Reaction Score
Not sure how far outside the bubble you need to be to hear that. If we had stayed in the AAC for football, we risked losing the $ we received for wbb as SNY was no longer in the picture. Add that to the fact that the AAC was becoming a feeder league for P5 leagues, and we sucked in almost everything but wbb, many thought a change back to the BE was appropriate.

The true perception of UConn is that we're a basketball first school. Like Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky. The only difference is that ESPN hasn't destroyed their leagues yet.

It doesn’t matter why. The perception matters and we didn’t manage it well.

Imagine explaining to recruits and top coaches that we actually care about football when we sacrificed conference football to keep wbb on a regional cable network.

It’s a reasonable red flag.

ESLNKY03

ESLNKY
Reaction Score
No new likes or tweets or follows in the last 3 days. With the portal as hot as it is, surprised to not see more twitter action from Charlton…a sign he’s done?????

Reaction Score

Sure. But that doesn’t matter. Perception is reality. It’s unfair but it is what it is.

Not being in a conference, any conference is a detriment.

And I would remind everyone that UConn’s first preference was to stay in the AAC as football only. So anyone who says that Indy is part of sone grand strategy is full of it. Indy is us making do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom