Charlie Creme and the Brackets | The Boneyard

Charlie Creme and the Brackets

Reaction Score
Tonight at 7:00 PM the brackets will be revealed and it has occurred to me to check what Creme writes against the actual layout. One or more people on this forum has stated that Charlie has pretty close connections to the committee and now we shall see.

Those who follows women’s basketball likely believe that there are eight teams that are clearly better than the rest - Stanford, UConn, Texas A & M, South Carolina, North Carolina State, Maryland, Baylor, and Louisville. Creme believes that the top seed will be Stanford and that it will be bracketed with #2 Louisville, the lowest ranking of the top eight teams. By his standard UConn is the second best #1 and Baylor is the 7th ranked team; then Texas A & M and Maryland; and finally South Carolina as the #4 best team potentially playing #5 NC State.

I do not subscribe to the various conference networks and have not seen as much basketball as some on the Boneyard, but having seen Baylor play several times find it difficult to believe that it is the 7th best team per Charlie Creme rankings in the country and believe they merit a #1 seed. Kim Mulkey’s team is the best team I have seen outside of the state of Connecticut and from a purely selfish viewpoint, I would hate to have to face the Bears in the regional finals.

Clearly Stanford and UConn based upon their body of work thus far are the two best teams in the country, but it is hard to choose among Texas A & M, South Carolina, NC State, Maryland, and Baylor for the remaining top seeds. I think good arguments can be made for all five teams and I’ll be interested to find out what the committee thinks. I would put Baylor in the #1 line.

With regard to seedings below the top two, I expect that a number of teams will be a slot or two different that what Creme prognosticates and that they will appear in different regions. What I will also look for is how Charlie’s views of the last four in (Wash St, Wake Forest, DePaul, UCF) and first four out (Miss St, ND, Ole Miss, BYU) pan out. Likewise how his views regarding UConn’s possible matchups with Syracuse (#8), Kentucky (#4) and Baylor (#2), match up with reality.

Less than ten hours to wait.

Reaction Score
but having seen Baylor play several times find it difficult to believe that it is the 7th best team per Charlie Creme rankings in the country and believe they merit a #1 seed.

again Creme is predicting what the committee will do, not giving his personal opinion

You do not need to be Kreskin to have Baylor as #7, since that’s where the committee rankings had them two weeks ago

Reaction Score
In respect to Baylor - I would throw out their loss to Arkansas because it was an early season game and they have improved considerably since then. However, they should beat Arkansas because the Razorbacks do not match up well with them. Still I would also discount their domination of the Big 12 because that league has traditionally been really weak and I suspect it is even weaker than usual. Other than Arkansas Baylor has not really played any ranked team at all so it is difficult to put their wins into proper context in respect to league strength. Now UConn also plays in a weaker league but they have beaten two ranked teams out of conference so their ranking is justified. Baylor well may deserve a higher ranking, but not based on their record put in context with the teams they have played.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No, Charlie does not have “connections to the committee” and it would be extremely improper for them to be talking with anyone.
Clearly you're a paid denier of the Creme-Anon conspiracy! Prepare to storm the citadel!

simpsons_torch_mob-e1297270050635.jpg

Reaction Score
In respect to Baylor - I would throw out their loss to Arkansas because it was an early season game and they have improved considerably since then. However, they should beat Arkansas because the Razorbacks do not match up well with them. Still I would also discount their domination of the Big 12 because that league has traditionally been really weak and I suspect it is even weaker than usual. Other than Arkansas Baylor has not really played any ranked team at all so it is difficult to put their wins into proper context in respect to league strength. Now UConn also plays in a weaker league but they have beaten two ranked teams out of conference so their ranking is justified. Baylor well may deserve a higher ranking, but not based on their record put in context with the teams they have played.
Umm we beat West Virginia 3 times who’s ranked 17th and beat them all handily in those games

Reaction Score
Umm we beat West Virginia 3 times who’s ranked 17th and beat them all handily in those games
The question is how good is West Virginia. Sure the beat Tenn early in the season. But they also lost two other games in conference. If we throw out the Baylor- Arkansas game we might also do that with the Tenn-West Virginia game. They are still an in conference team and because it is difficult to measure conference strength this season their #17 ranking is also suspect. Had they been dominate against the other teams except for Baylor it might give Baylors wins over them more cred. Basically teams past a certain point in the rankings this season are not considered valid tests.

As a previous poster mentioned, It depends on matchups. Baylor can pretty much dominate al the teams in their conference because they have both a size and athletic advantage. How well they would do against a team that can match them in size and and are athletic is another matter. One that will not be revealed until they play them in the NCAA's. As I stated previously, Baylor may well be a team to be feared, but as of yet they have yet to prove it on the court.

Players, as do teams, have their good games and their not so good ones. Its a matter of timing. If you are in a weak league then their are fewer teams that are capable of beating you on your bad and their good day. The odds are then in your favor. We saw in some other leagues that the top teams got knocked off more than once. No team in the Big 12, except for one game, even came close to giving Baylor a game. Now either Baylor is that good or they are only vastly superior to the teams in their league much like UConn is every year. Basically their level is a mystery because of the unknown that hovers over comparative league strength this season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn is 24-0 against WV and some years they were ranked higher than that in the old BE. :eek:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tonight at 7:00 PM the brackets will be revealed and it has occurred to me to check what Creme writes against the actual layout. One or more people on this forum has stated that Charlie has pretty close connections to the committee and now we shall see.

Those who follows women’s basketball likely believe that there are eight SEVEN teams that are clearly better than the rest - Stanford, UConn, Texas A & M, South Carolina, North Carolina State, Maryland, Baylor, and Louisville. Creme believes that the top seed will be Stanford and that it will be bracketed with #2 Louisville, should be UCLA the lowest ranking of the top eight teams. By his standard UConn is the second best #1 and Baylor Maryland should the 7th ranked team; then Texas A & M and Maryland Baylor ; and finally South Carolina as the #4 best team potentially playing #5 NC State.
I am of the view that Louisville is vastly overrated and not in the same class as the top 7, more in the mix with UCLA, Arizona, Georgia and Tennessee. Indiana is also over-rated to be considered a 2 or 3 seed.

Reaction Score
The logic is that the NCAA had UCONN #1, not the Boneyard or Creme. There is no reason that should change whatsoever.

Reaction Score
I am of the view that Louisville is vastly overrated and not in the same class as the top 7, more in the mix with UCLA, Arizona, Georgia and Tennessee. Indiana is also over-rated to be considered a 2 or 3 seed.
I would disagree with the word vastly. Their backcourt is explosive, and guard play usually wins championships. Of those eight, Massey has them the lowest, but only slightly below A@M.

Reaction Score

Those who follows women’s basketball likely believe that there are eight teams that are clearly better than the rest - Stanford, UConn, Texas A & M, South Carolina, North Carolina State, Maryland, Baylor, and Louisville. Creme believes that the top seed will be Stanford and that it will be bracketed with #2 Louisville, the lowest ranking of the top eight teams. By his standard UConn is the second best #1 and Baylor is the 7th ranked team; then Texas A & M and Maryland; and finally South Carolina as the #4 best team potentially playing #5 NC State.

I do not subscribe to the various conference networks and have not seen as much basketball as some on the Boneyard, but having seen Baylor play several times find it difficult to believe that it is the 7th best team per Charlie Creme rankings in the country and believe they merit a #1 seed. Kim Mulkey’s team is the best team I have seen outside of the state of Connecticut and from a purely selfish viewpoint, I would hate to have to face the Bears in the regional finals.

Clearly Stanford and UConn based upon their body of work thus far are the two best teams in the country, but it is hard to choose among Texas A & M, South Carolina, NC State, Maryland, and Baylor for the remaining top seeds. I think good arguments can be made for all five teams and I’ll be interested to find out what the committee thinks. I would put Baylor in the #1 line.

With regard to seedings below the top two, I expect that a number of teams will be a slot or two different that what Creme prognosticates and that they will appear in different regions. What I will also look for is how Charlie’s views of the last four in (Wash St, Wake Forest, DePaul, UCF) and first four out (Miss St, ND, Ole Miss, BYU) pan out. Likewise how his views regarding UConn’s possible matchups with Syracuse (#8), Kentucky (#4) and Baylor (#2), match up with reality.

This is the first year i have seen so many teams that could win the whole thing.I think ct is good but not no.1 i have watched all the good teams and they are in stronger conferences with stronger teams .Maryland should be no.1 baylor should be no.1 they play in better conferences.this is hard for me to say because iam a big uconn fan.There is a lot of second tier teams that will give a tough game.iam just glad we got out of the aac

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
That's not how it works. "Body of work" is the criteria.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Massey has Baylor and Maryland third and fourth. It is hard to argue with that, given how easily they won their respective conference tournaments.
Having seen both Baylor and Maryland play a few games recently it is baffling to think that both are not ranked above SC. IMO SC and A Boston are being viewed through potential not reality. In what world does SC belong ranked ahead of the 2 teams named above? In what world does Boston deserve AA 1st team honors on her performances in games this year? Both SC and Boston may have the potential to be #1 seed and an AA. The facts are clear that neither one has earned that status this year both are being viewed on what could have been, neither pass the smell test. ?

Reaction Score
Having seen both Baylor and Maryland play a few games recently it is baffling to think that both are not ranked above SC. IMO SC and A Boston are being viewed through potential not reality. In what world does SC belong ranked ahead of the 2 teams named above? In what world does Boston deserve AA 1st team honors on her performances in games this year? Both SC and Boston may have the potential to be #1 seed and an AA. The facts are clear that neither one has earned that status this year both are being viewed on what could have been, neither pass the smell test. ?
Let’s the games begin and IMO SC will go down with to whoever the #2 opponent they face..

Reaction Score
Again I ask:
UConn needed overtime to beat SC, at home. UConn lost to a team that SC beat handily.
If Bay & MD are miles ahead of SC, then they've gotta be ahead of UConn, right? And that's a fine opinion.
But please don't argue that SC isn't very good and yet UConn is clearly #1.

Reaction Score

Agree on Baylor. I have seen them quite a few times on TV. They appear to be a lot better now than earlier in the year (as most teams should be). In their case, "a lot better" appears to me to be better than Texas A&M, NC State, and maybe South Carolina, and maybe Maryland. I had them at #4 on my BY25 ballot. I also think that with their size and aggressiveness they could be a matchup problem for UConn.

The problem is it's hard to tell, with the patsies they've been playing. Similar to UConn this time of year (this year and last year) - it looks like it's all coming together for them. But, since they haven't played anybody good during this "all coming together" period, it's just hard to tell... ??

Reaction Score
And UConn beat DePaul twice when they were ranked about 17th. And beat them handily both times. I think the comment was about elite level games.

Reaction Score
Agree on Baylor. I have seen them quite a few times on TV. They appear to be a lot better now than earlier in the year (as most teams should be). In their case, "a lot better" appears to me to be better than Texas A&M, NC State, and maybe South Carolina, and maybe Maryland. I had them at #4 on my BY25 ballot. I also think that with their size and aggressiveness they could be a matchup problem for UConn.

The problem is it's hard to tell, with the patsies they've been playing. Similar to UConn this time of year (this year and last year) - it looks like it's all coming together for them. But, since they haven't played anybody good during this "all coming together" period, it's just hard to tell... ??

Baylor could win the title, but I doubt it. I only watched Baylor a few times in the tournament but I was able to see that Baylor's offense comes from offensive rebounds and pts in the paint or off turnovers. They have no outside shooting game and once the real play starts in the S16 and they face decent defenses they will be forced into a half court game. I read a lot of comments about their size but look at it. It's been Egbo and Smith. At 6'2 Smith is an undersized post. I'd draft her ahead of Collier but she's a 4 and Egbo is only a so-so center and inconsistent. She gets into foul trouble too easily. Now they are a great rebounding team but not because they are big. Gusters didn't even play much in the last 2 games of the B12 tournament. That doesn't bode well for her helping much in the S16 on.
They have a huge hole in their offense without good outside shooters. In the Texas game they made a couple of baskets outside the paint. That simply isn't going to work against teams like Stan, SCar, NCSt or even UConn, all of whom can pack the paint. They'll dare Richards to beat them with her outside shooting.
But then maybe they'll win it all. It's likely to be an upset-filled tournament.

Reaction Score
Don’t necessarily disagree, but at least SC plays in a very competitive conference. B1G and Big 12 really that much better than BE?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Again I ask:
UConn needed overtime to beat SC, at home. UConn lost to a team that SC beat handily.
If Bay & MD are miles ahead of SC, then they've gotta be ahead of UConn, right? And that's a fine opinion.
But please don't argue that SC isn't very good and yet UConn is clearly #1.
Never said they weren't very good. Your point is predicated on mid season showings mine is based on recent games played and team and individual growth as the season progresses. While you imply that if a=b than c must be < than a or whatever faulty logic. I think you know better and while I never said SC was not a very good team I also never said UCONN is clearly #1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom