Charcoal or Gas? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charcoal or Gas?

Simple question, what tastes better? Food cooked on a gas grill or a charcoal grill.

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I cook on a gas grill for the ease. No prep ahead of time and clean up is like once a year.

For taste and flavor it's clearly char coal, but I'm not willing to do the extra work on a regular basis.

Lately I've been cooking meats sous vide more and finishing in the smoker to get a smokey taste.

I will admit though I miss the char coal flavor. I'm going to get out my little char coal grill this summer and fire it up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't even understand why people cook outdoors on gas grills.
You must have a comprehension problem then. People have detailed the reasons repeatedly in this thread.

You may not agree with them, but do you really "not even understand" that others may value their time, effort, money and efficiency more than you do? Or that some prefer not to have that flavor imparted on their food?

@Deepster nailed it. There is only one reason for people to start this conversation.

Reaction Score
You must have a comprehension problem then. People have detailed the reasons repeatedly in this thread.

You may not agree with them, but do you really "not even understand" that others may value their time, effort, money and efficiency more than you do? Or that some prefer not to have that flavor imparted on their food?

@Deepster nailed it. There is only one reason for people to start this conversation.
Nope, I know how to read. I don't understand why people would bother cooking outside on gas instead of just cooking inside.

Reaction Score
Charcoal
doused with lighter fluid because it’s the only way you could ever get it burning Is so 1960’s. That was a nightmare.
Truthfully I only bought a grill last Feb as a back up in case the Covid thing got real serious,
The ability to heat things is a life or death especially water.
I had left my grill at my old house as it was natural gas I suspected I wouldn’t have a hookup at my new place which I don’t.
I actually prefer my XL air fry grill to either
Welcome to the 21st century.
If food needs to derive flavor from the method used to destroy bacteria then I would pick another food.

Reaction Score
I don't cook inside or outside with gas or charcoal.

Maybe, I am just lazy and don't want to buy an outdoor grill or I am not much of an entertaining type.

I have eaten burgers and veggies from a Weber gas grill at my sister's. The food is kind of tasteless and I did like the taste better when they had a charcoal grill.

FWIW, I have a Nuwave Infrared Oven, which I plug in and the lamb burgers taste crispy and great, and just as good as the ones I have eaten from a charcoal grill. Of course, I season the meet and rub on Balsamic Glaze before I put it on the grill. Yes, I have to clean the grill, but it is a smaller footprint. Not great for cooking for a large gathering, but okay for a few people. The veggies grill out to a tasty flavor.

Last night, I inverted the grill and baked sweet potatoes. I have done that for a lamb roast too.

Bon Appetit to those who have a gas or charcoal grill.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's another thing I don't understand, it's a must for me.
Interesting. I thought you were a little more worldly.

There are large parts of the country, including my town, where natural gas lines do not run, and the only option in that event is having propane installed, which is an added expense many/most don’t think is worth it, unless also being used to power an automatic generator (which is the reason we are still considering it).

Also, cooking inside on gas is not the same as cooking outside on a gas grill, because the latter is primarily based on the convection cooking that results from keeping the lid closed.

And it gets pretty damned hot in some places in the summer. I hear Chicago is one of them. When it gets hot here we definitely prefer not to cook inside.

Now you know.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

There are large parts of the country, including my town, where natural gas lines do not run, and the only option in that event is having propane installed, which is an added expense many/most don’t think is worth it, unless also being used to power an automatic generator (which is the reason we are still considering it).

Also, cooking inside on gas is not the same as cooking outside on a gas grill, because the latter is primarily based on the convection cooking that results from keeping the lid closed.

And it gets pretty damned hot in some places in the summer. I hear Chicago is one of them. When it gets hot here we definitely prefer not to cook inside.

Now you know.
I have both options available outside, gas usually because of convenience. I also cook fish outside on the gas primarily to keep the smell out of the house.

Reaction Score

Now you know.
Lol, I'm aware of natural gas lines and having to have propane installed. I don't understand why people choose to live in a place with only electric or don't get propane installed. Just as I don't understand why people choose to grill outside on gas instead of charcoal. Just as I don't understand why people choose to spend a couple of million on a place with no central AC or why people live in a place with no washer dryer. I'm not talking about people who don't have the money, I know plenty of people who have the money and forego these things, they are all deal breakers for me...

I also don't understand why you're being so pedantic in a thread about what tastes better charcoal or gas grilling...after you responded with pimento, nobody felt the need to jump in and say you have a comprehension problem. I'm sure you'll say you were speaking about pimento charcoal or some other such nonsense.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lol, I'm aware of natural gas lines and having to have propane installed. I don't understand why people choose to live in a place with only electric or don't get propane installed. Just as I don't understand why people choose to grill outside on gas instead of charcoal. Just as I don't understand why people choose to spend a couple of million on a place with no central AC or why people live in a place with no washer dryer. I'm not talking about people who don't have the money, I know plenty of people who have the money and forego these things, they are all deal breakers for me...

I also don't understand why you're being so pedantic in a thread about what tastes better charcoal or gas grilling...after you responded with pimento, nobody felt the need to jump in and say you have a comprehension problem. I'm sure you'll say you were speaking about pimento charcoal or some other such nonsense.
Pimento was a joke, Francis. Those who got it, got it.

As were my responses to you, because your absolutist hot takes were as ridiculous as they frequently are.

Preferences are fine—we all have them and that’s what the thread asked about. Claiming to not understand how others could possibly prefer or value things differently than you do is typically a hot take; or trolling; or evidence that you genuinely have a very limited life experience.

Reaction Score
That's another thing I don't understand, it's a must for me.
Just bought a house with oil heat + electric stovetop. I already hate it and we haven't moved in yet. Thankfully there's gas lined to the house, just not installed yet. Have to use up the oil we bought with the house first.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just bought a house with oil heat + electric stovetop. I already hate it and we haven't moved in yet. Thankfully there's gas lined to the house, just not installed yet. Have to use up the oil we bought with the house first.
I get preferring gas to cook; but what do you prefer about it as a heating fuel over oil?

Reaction Score
I get preferring gas to cook; but what do you prefer about it as a heating fuel over oil?
Cheaper on average as far as I know, less mental load of monitoring tank/contracts. It's really just the "one more thing" aspect. As I like cooking, the stove is definitely the bigger deal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Cheaper on average as far as I know, less mental load of monitoring tank/contracts. It's really just the "one more thing" aspect. As I like cooking, the stove is definitely the bigger deal.
I’ve never had anything other than oil heat (and steam radiators long ago), that’s why I asked. One room in our current house used to be a three-season room with electric heat, but we replaced that with baseboard oil heat when we made it into an addition.

We’ve used the same oil company for more than 20 years and it couldn’t be less of a hassle for us. They have provided great service and we never have to monitor anything.

Reaction Score
Pimento was a joke, Francis. Those who got it, got it.

As were my responses to you, because your absolutist hot takes were as ridiculous as they frequently are.

Preferences are fine—we all have them and that’s what the thread asked about. Claiming to not understand how others could possibly prefer or value things differently than you do is typically a hot take; or trolling; or evidence that you genuinely have a very limited life experience.
Sorry, I forgot how hilarious you are and how incredible your life experiences are.

You take this s^^t far too seriously. It's Saturday and the sun is out...do some yard work if it's not too hot or have a Tom Collins, better yet if I annoy you so much put me on ignore.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sorry, I forgot how hilarious you are and how incredible your life experiences are.

You take this s^^t far too seriously. It's Saturday and the sun is out...do some yard work if it's not too hot or have a Tom Collins, better yet if I annoy you so much put me on ignore.
I don’t even understand how people can like yard work, or a Tom Collins.

But I have been out plenty today. Been up since 5:00 and feel like it’s almost time for happy hour. Brought my youngest to get her second shot first thing this morning, got a nice breakfast with her and then we moved our kayaks down to their storage racks on the beach for the season. Just put the A/C on for the first time this year, reading the paper, listening to my favorite weekly radio show and getting psyched for our first on-premises dining at our favorite pizza joint tonight for the first time in over a year.

Nothing to be annoyed about at all.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nope, I know how to read. I don't understand why people would bother cooking outside on gas instead of just cooking inside.
Grill pans on gas stove =/= cooking on a gas grill. Plus, cleanup is a breeze. And the cook gets to avoid reeking of charcoal.

Reaction Score
I'll say I mostly like smash burgers now and the gas grill is perfect for it. I use a cast iron pan and a smaller pan for the smashing. Grease ends up everywhere. Much nicer to do it outside and avoid the mess inside.

Reaction Score
Charcoal by far, I don't even understand why people cook outdoors on gas grills.
For me, there’s this phenomenon that requires that I closely monitor the cooking process with a cold beer in my hand. Doesn’t seem to occur with indoor cooking with anywhere near the same regularity.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't the taste imparted by charcoal depend on the species of wood from which it's made?
I guess it could. But these backyard blowhards chuck a bag of Match Light into the Weber they got at Lowe’s and think they’re magically a Texas pit master.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I guess it could. But these backyard blowhards chuck a bag of Match Light into the Weber they got at Lowe’s and think they’re magically a Texas pit master.
That’s true but let’s finally be honest here.

It’s about best tool for the job.

I have a gas grill and I use it frequently, quick burger or dog? It’s fine. I use mine mostly for veggie sides too. , squash Zucchini, eggplant , onions peppers mushrooms etc……

…….but if I want a great steak or burger and want to work a touch, it’s going on the egg with charcoal.
….. obviously ribs and brisket and pork shoulders are going on smoker.

So if the question is what’s the best all around grill for backyard yahoo’s for a cheap price? It’s a Weber kettle with charcoal with the caveat you know how to control temps of charcoal with vents.

Otherwise you want to be a man just because it’s summertime and don’t actually know how to cook? Gas is fine. You can cook great stuff on gas. But if this question in its simplest form even arises, I default to “ you don’t know how to cook anyway , what’s the difference?”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom