Chandler. Are P and Deleone nuts? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chandler. Are P and Deleone nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really wasn't looking for an Alan Iverson response - I was being serious. What evaluation are you referring to? There was no in game evaluations done once the staff looked at Nebrich's feet and eyes in that ISU game and saw a true frosh not quite ready.
And they looked at Mac in the ISU game and thought he was clearly better? He got the ball the on TOs three times in the first quarter and managed to put up 3 points when the ball was recovered in field goal position. Exactly what I am talking about.

Reaction Score
From my perspective, the difference between Whitmer and the pack was larger after watching a replay. Outside of the two bad decisions, he was solid. They all took sacks, but Whitmer's were much more to do with OL breakdowns. Nebrich in particular looked indecisive.

I agree! I still want to see more of Nebrich though. This kid has more than he's showing and I'd definately like to see what he's got. I was invited to a work out session, and I liked what
I saw from him. His wheels r underrated IMO. Saw him tuck and run under pressure and he looked really good. To b fair, Johnny Mac did as well so...... Not sure how that translates however.....

Reaction Score
You really don't put any weight whatsoever in practice, do you? From the fact that they didn't have an "A" offense and a "B" offense, and who started, I think it is safe to say that Whitmer did not come near winning the job outright in the month of practices leading up to the spring game. He was, obviously, far and away the best QB this weekend.

So now the staff has to take both those facts, figure out where they are and set the strategy for how "open" the competition is, and how much they think they know who the QB is, when summer camp opens. What they thankfully won't do is say "Forget the month of practices -- CW looked the best in front of our fanbase during the last scrimmage so let's immediately please the fanbase by saying he's the starter."
BL just curious are you going to do a View From 243. Lot's to discuss too but many posts.

Reaction Score
BL just curious are you going to do a View From 243. Lot's to discuss too but many posts.

I did not get to the game. I have it taped and I meant to watch it and do one this weekend, but I just didn't get to it. So I may, but it will be dependent on finding some time.

Reaction Score
I did not get to the game. I have it taped and I meant to watch it and do one this weekend, but I just didn't get to it. So I may, but it will be dependent on finding some time.

What the......

Biz, c'mon man! Priorities! The only UCONN football we have until the fall and you're focusing on family and business?????????

Reaction Score
I agree! I still want to see more of Nebrich though. This kid has more than he's showing and I'd definately like to see what he's got. I was invited to a work out session, and I liked what
I saw from him. His wheels r underrated IMO. Saw him tuck and run under pressure and he looked really good. To b fair, Johnny Mac did as well so...... Not sure how that translates however.....
Actually I think Nebrich's strength is also his weakness..I think he tucks and runs too often. You can maybe get away with that in high school and even at a lower level of college football. You can't do it at this level. I think he panics when he is rushed and takes off rather than waiting for the play to develop. You see lots of quarterbacks who do that in the MAC, the Sunbelt, and they occassionally get a big play. But they seldom have lots of wins. To some degree that was the problem the kid at South florida had. he was always tucking and running rather than letting the play develop and winning with his arm.

Reaction Score
It's not even a contest. Whitmer made quicker and better decisions. He was poised. He was accurate. He showed a strong arm. He threw a great back shoulder fade. He even looked good scrambling for yards. Most important, he converted third downs and moved the team.

He was a little overconfident. But he gave his receivers a chance to make a play. For all the squawking by P and DeLeone, he is far and away the best QB in their short reign. What the heck were they watching?

OK Ill bite. Why would you want to resign all your other QB's to second tier mindset before you've even started fall practice? Don't you want them to work as if they have a chance to be the starter? What if something happens to CW late in the summer and he other guys have slacked off, just a bit? What's the upside to that thought process unless you are 100% sure he's taking that first snap from center?

Reaction Score
OK Ill bite. Why would you want to resign all your other QB's to second tier mindset before you've even started fall practice? Don't you want them to work as if they have a chance to be the starter? What if something happens to CW late in the summer and he other guys have slacked off, just a bit? What's the upside to that thought process unless you are 100% sure he's taking that first snap from center?
If a guy earns the starting job, he should be rewarded. I am NOT for handing the starting job to anyone. But I saw a guy who had clearly earned it.

The other QBs saw that as well. It should make them work harder than the starter. If a player gives up because he is not the starter, then you have learned a lot about the kid.

Reaction Score
If a guy earns the starting job, he should be rewarded. I am NOT for handing the starting job to anyone. But I saw a guy who had clearly earned it.

The other QBs saw that as well. It should make them work harder than the starter. If a player gives up because he is not the starter, then you have learned a lot about the kid.

Smells like basketball ideology applied to football again.

What does it mean to reward somebody for earning the starting the job? that doesn't make sense. but anyway. They, by all accounts, are splitting reps as evenly as possible between the QB's and they're going to continue to do it come beginning of summer program.

The reps are invaluable, b/c that's the only way you can grade out and evaluate. Once the decision is made, it's not about 'earning' the starting job - especially at the QB position, once the QB position is set, the reps are going to get weighed heavily on the depth chart order. The preparation for games by the #2 and #3 QB's, and a specialty QB if we do it again, changes COMPLETELY. THey all need to prepare mentally like they will be starters, b/c the QB can do down at any time, but physically, reps, change dramatically.

THere is absolutely no reason right now, to create that change after spring. I looked at the game on SNY recording. Coach P is 100% correct, while Whitmer had the best outing to the "media" as P put it, his mistake in the endzone, was the worst mistake by far of any of the QB's. Nebrich was picked twice, but didn't make bad decisions and his game, most of his package he's been running - clearly wasn't on display. McEntee, we know what we're getting from McEntee, and he showed it.

By all accounts in the media, in practices, all of the QB's have shown the ability to do what Whitmer did in the spring game.

Now - if Whitmer doesn't make that terrible decision going into the endzone, then there's a case to start making a change in how the QB's are repping in practices, and how they're preparation is going to change.

What's clear as day to night from last year though, is that the play at the QB position, the competition, has been ramped up exponentially, and that's going to be good for the team.

These QB's are going to have to work even harder to make every rep count working toward august 30.

Reaction Score
Carl,

I have a slightly different view than you. I actually think that Saturday confirmed what the coaches already knew...probably knew in January...that Whitmer is a pretty good quarterback. He has a way to go and yes, he threw a pretty bad interception in the endzone, but when he was in there UCONN had a passing game for the first time since I don't know when. he moved the football. Didn't go into a funk after throwing the pick, but came out and moved the team down and scored on the next drive.
To my way of thinking it was pretty clear that Cochran isn't ready for the game at this level, Mac is what he is, and Nebrich needs to learn to step up and not take off every time he gets rushed. McCummings might have a role somewhere but I'm betting it will be as a possession reciever rather than a quarterback at the end of the day. But this wasn't as if whitmer was the best "by default" as we've seen too many times at UCONN. He was completely in control. he was talking to the linemen on the bench telling them, we are going to score this time (and they did fwiw). The rest of it is just coachspeak.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest

1. the only folks who need a starting qb named in April are posting here.
2. whitmer was better on Sat.
3. I think we all saw posts from other writers talking about other kids having better days before Sat.
4. you do not hand over the job to someone based on 1 practice.

In the end, while this keeps the discussion moving in the offseason, I am willing to put more faith in a staff w/decades of experience and more insight in to the position than the collective group posting here.

Reaction Score
Carl,

I have a slightly different view than you. I actually think that Saturday confirmed what the coaches already knew...probably knew in January...that Whitmer is a pretty good quarterback. He has a way to go and yes, he threw a pretty bad interception in the endzone, but when he was in there UCONN had a passing game for the first time since I don't know when. he moved the football. Didn't go into a funk after throwing the pick, but came out and moved the team down and scored on the next drive.
To my way of thinking it was pretty clear that Cochran isn't ready for the game at this level, Mac is what he is, and Nebrich needs to learn to step up and not take off every time he gets rushed. McCummings might have a role somewhere but I'm betting it will be as a possession reciever rather than a quarterback at the end of the day. But this wasn't as if whitmer was the best "by default" as we've seen too many times at UCONN. He was completely in control. he was talking to the linemen on the bench telling them, we are going to score this time (and they did fwiw). The rest of it is just coachspeak.

Not so much coachspeak, I think. I think P was just telling the truth. Whitmer definitely wishes he could have that one ball back, b/c I think that single play is what probably failed to separate him from the pack at this point in time. Just got to get back in a few weeks and grind harder.

Funny thing about QB's, the quality of play tends to be directly related to age and experience. I'd like to see Whitmer on the field come fall, and you may be right on the money with your opinions on the matter, but it doesn't change the fact that he's not really separated himself yet, and the harder that all the QB's have to work to make the precious reps they've got right now until fall - the better for the team.

THere's no way that P can wait as long as he did last year to start stacking the reps for a starter at QB, and I don't believe for a second that he has any intention to be doing that come end of august. We'll have a starter in place for game 1 this season.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest

1. the only folks who need a starting qb named in April are posting here.
2. whitmer was better on Sat.
3. I think we all saw posts from other writers talking about other kids having better days before Sat.
4. you do not hand over the job to someone based on 1 practice.

In the end, while this keeps the discussion moving in the offseason, I am willing to put more faith in a staff w/decades of experience and more insight in to the position than the collective group posting here.

But Palatine isn't.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not so much coachspeak, I think. I think P was just telling the truth. Whitmer definitely wishes he could have that one ball back, b/c I think that single play is what probably failed to separate him from the pack at this point in time. Just got to get back in a few weeks and grind harder.

Funny thing about QB's, the quality of play tends to be directly related to age and experience. I'd like to see Whitmer on the field come fall, and you may be right on the money with your opinions on the matter, but it doesn't change the fact that he's not really separated himself yet, and the harder that all the QB's have to work to make the precious reps they've got right now until fall - the better for the team.

THere's no way that P can wait as long as he did last year to start stacking the reps for a starter at QB, and I don't believe for a second that he has any intention to be doing that come end of august. We'll have a starter in place for game 1 this season.

Is it just me or isn't it true that even Tom Brady throws a bad pick now and then?

Reaction Score
If all of UConn's QB's are competing "equally" right now, then the Huskies are in trouble. The QB position last season was deplorable to be kind. There is little reason to think that it will dramatically improve with those players who were on the roster at the time. So the sooner a QB like Whitmer or Cochran can emerge as the front runner the better.

Reaction Score
Everyone is making this WAY more complicated than it has to be...

Whitmer was CLEARLY the better quarterback overall, however, there are no more practices until the beginning of August. So if I am the coach, why would I name a starter now when I can let teams stew over the summer wondering which one of the FIVE QBs is going to start....also the point about wanting all five to work hard through the summer is a good one, you want the competition to keep going....keep the guys pushing each other through lifts and 7 on 7s....why would you want to take that carrot away?....that would just cause the horse to stop running

Whitmer is going to be the QB....lets all just leave it at that and enjoy the summer

Reaction Score
Everyone is making this WAY more complicated than it has to be...

Whitmer was CLEARLY the better quarterback overall, however, there are no more practices until the beginning of August. So if I am the coach, why would I name a starter now when I can let teams stew over the summer wondering which one of the FIVE QBs is going to start....also the point about wanting all five to work hard through the summer is a good one, you want the competition to keep going....keep the guys pushing each other through lifts and 7 on 7s....why would you want to take that carrot away?....that would just cause the horse to stop running

Whitmer is going to be the QB....lets all just leave it at that and enjoy the summer

I agree to a point.

BTW, I never said that Whitmer should be named the starter. I just think that the coaches should have acknowledged that he is ahead right now. You, know, acknowledge reality.

My problem is that after watching P hand Mac a job he hadn't earned, then ending the competition and settling on a guy who wasn't producing, I have little faith in the coaches to pick a QB. I would like to be reassured that they are not on Venus.

And if guys stop working hard because they are not ahead right now. Is that a kid you want on your team?

Reaction Score
The whole idea that PP should announce the starting QB 5 months before the season starts is ridiculous. It accomplishes nothing but lets a few BYers sleep at night knowing now who the QB will be. PP probably is leaning a certain way but by telling everyone now you risk the chance of losing some of these guys and the fact that 4 of the 5 QBs are sophomores or younger its much better to let them all go into the Spring believing they have a chance to win the spot. This guarantees they work as hard as ever and it also makes sure Chandler(clearly the leader) keeps working hard to hold onto the spot.

The risks out weigh the rewards of announcing the starter now. If someone can explain how announcing the decision now is better then waiting until after the summer then please feel free to sway me that way but right now I agree with what PP is doing.

Reaction Score
The whole idea that PP should announce the starting QB 5 months before the season starts is ridiculous. It accomplishes nothing but lets a few BYers sleep at night knowing now who the QB will be. PP probably is leaning a certain way but by telling everyone now you risk the chance of losing some of these guys and the fact that 4 of the 5 QBs are sophomores or younger its much better to let them all go into the Spring believing they have a chance to win the spot. This guarantees they work as hard as ever and it also makes sure Chandler(clearly the leader) keeps working hard to hold onto the spot.

The risks out weigh the rewards of announcing the starter now. If someone can explain how announcing the decision now is better then waiting until after the summer then please feel free to sway me that way but right now I agree with what PP is doing.

Because Palatine won't have to waste his entire spring and early summer worrying about whether the coaches know who Palatine thinks is a good QB when they see him.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i dream of a summer when i already know who the qb is and i know that hes above average. i hope that this fall we find that dream for next summer.

F

fortebleedsblue

Couple things, first I think they want someone else to step up and make a run at the position. U can't tell me that after posting the numbers Nebrich threw up in high school, that the kid isn't capable of playing. I really want to see more of this kid and I think they do too. On that note, it's pretty hard to asses where a kid is in his drop back, read etc... When he's on his back all day long. The oline was terrible on Sat. Yes CW looked pretty good, and I think all of us on the board were desperate for someone to separate themselves frm the pack. CW may have done that but I think the coaches were fair in stating that they will reserve judgement til they see who was matched up w/ who on the film. If u name ur starter now, that does two things.. First, it tells 4 other qb's that their out, so go sit down on the bench. That effects morale. In addition, ur sending the msg that if u work hard in the system like these other qb's have over he past year or two, an outsider can just walk in and take over, if he is head and shoulders above the rest, well fine case closed but I don't think were there yet. Either way, that all affects the locker room and w/ a veteran coaching staff, they know that! Either way, I agree that we need a QB to separate himself by a large margin now and tag him as the starter, but we shall see......

And you're point is? People are far too concerned with how players feel how dj shoemate feels, how players at Uconn who have no achieved while at Uconn feel. How about we focus on results ... Yes a player can just walk in and beat out other players... that's called life. What is so hard to understand about that baffles me. Whitmer is the better option at this point ... solidify things and start building offensive chemistry. Stop wishing what coulda shoulda been and look at what is.

Reaction Score
Because Palatine won't have to waste his entire spring and early summer worrying about whether the coaches know who Palatine thinks is a good QB when they see him.
The coaches could do a lot worse than listening to Palatine. That guy has an uncanny ability find patterns in chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom