Chandler. Are P and Deleone nuts? | The Boneyard

Chandler. Are P and Deleone nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not even a contest. Whitmer made quicker and better decisions. He was poised. He was accurate. He showed a strong arm. He threw a great back shoulder fade. He even looked good scrambling for yards. Most important, he converted third downs and moved the team.

He was a little overconfident. But he gave his receivers a chance to make a play. For all the squawking by P and DeLeone, he is far and away the best QB in their short reign. What the heck were they watching?

pj

Reaction Score
When have they said he wasn't the best? Why do you think they disagree with you?

Reaction Score
It's not even a contest. Whitmer made quicker and better decisions. He was poised. He was accurate. He showed a strong arm. He threw a great back shoulder fade. He even looked good scrambling for yards. Most important, he converted third downs and moved the team.

He was a little overconfident. But he gave his receivers a chance to make a play. For all the
squawking by P and DeLeone, he is far and away the best QB in their short reign. What the
heck were they watching?

Couple things, first I think they want someone else to step up and make a run at the position. U can't tell me that after posting the numbers Nebrich threw up in high school, that the kid isn't capable of playing. I really want to see more of this kid and I think they do too. On that note, it's pretty hard to asses where a kid is in his drop back, read etc... When he's on his back all day long. The oline was terrible on Sat. Yes CW looked pretty good, and I think all of us on the board were desperate for someone to separate themselves frm the pack. CW may have done that but I think the coaches were fair in stating that they will reserve judgement til they see who was matched up w/ who on the film. If u name ur starter now, that does two things.. First, it tells 4 other qb's that their out, so go sit down on the bench. That effects morale. In addition, ur sending the msg that if u work hard in the system like these other qb's have over he past year or two, an outsider can just walk in and take over, if he is head and shoulders above the rest, well fine case closed but I don't think were there yet. Either way, that all affects the locker room and w/ a veteran coaching staff, they know that! Either way, I agree that we need a QB to separate himself by a large margin now and tag him as the starter, but we shall see......

Reaction Score
They are not going to name a starter right after the spring game. First week or two of August practice will confirm film evaluation of spring practice and game. Pecking order established, decisions made.

Reaction Score

He was a little overconfident. But he gave his receivers a chance to make a play. For all the squawking by P and DeLeone, he is far and away the best QB in their short reign. What the heck were they watching?

P is being coy, DeLeone may be nuts.

The UMASS D will take the field before we know who the starter will be. We will be texting "Krugs" two days before the game to get the inside scoop.

Reaction Score
They liked what they saw but the coaches basically said what the issue was. They want to see all the QB's against the same level of pressure. Whitmer was clearly better but he did not have anywhere near the pressure that Mac and Nebrich were seeing. Mac and Nebrich were both basically getting sacked by the time they were three steps back. That just didn't happen to Whitmer. Coach P basically said that he wants to see how everyone performs against similar lineups. I don't think there is any doubt who the QB is going to be though.

Reaction Score
They will not name a started until game week because that is the only way they will guarantee these kids to give 100% throughout the summer to get better. Not to say those not named starter would tank it after the decision, but competition brings out the best in everybody and they will all train like they are the #1 QB the next 3+ months if it is an open competition. And whose to say one of the QB's really does have a breakout summer. It happens all the time and only makes sense to leave the competition open through fall camp.

Reaction Score
Whitmer had less pressure because he made decisions and got rid of the ball sooner than the other QBs.

No question that Nebrich payed the biggest price for wearing the red shirt. It completely killed his ability to run or improvise, two of his strengths. And I might add, that Nebrich would be much further along if P gave him a little burn at QB last year. P had plenty of chances, like the whole 4th quarter against WVU, to get him some snaps against good competition. Instead, he nailed him to the bench.

That said, CW simply does EVERYTHING better than the other QBs. And he produced (remember production?). He put up two 14 points and 187 yards in half a game. For the math challenged that extrapolates to 28 points and 374 yards passing in a game.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'd suspect that the coaches agree with your assesment, but won't admit it until we are heading in to the UMass game. I suppose it's possible that one of the other guys might make SUCH strides this summer as to get some consideration, but I kind of doubt it. And, I know it's silly, but... perhaps a little gamesmanship here by keeping UMass guessing as to who we will trot out.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Seems to me that there was also one QB not available who saw a decent amount of the field last year. Why should he be out of the contest? I'm not advocating for him, just saying why the need to jump to name a starter? BTW, I'm assuming none of these kid are deaf, dumb and blind or that none of them have never been on a football team before. They certainly understand what's happening much better than us armchair QBs.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The idea that the competition is still "open" gives the other QBs extra incentive for the offseason. I don't think a single player or coach on that team think that anyone other than Whitmer is the clear #1.

Reaction Score
i think Whitmer clearly seperated himself, but i don't know if there's any reason to declare him starter now as opposed to waiting until everyone comes back in August. if they wait until the UMass game i'll be pretty disappointed b/c it'll mean that what we saw from Whitmer was not consistant with what they've seen otherwise. if what we saw is representative of what they saw in practice, which all indications are that it was, than they ought to declare Whitmer the starter in preseason. why not give him the extra reps and lethim build a repoire with his WRs? i suspect that everyone on that team knows Whitmer will be the starter, but P wants to give the other QBs the summer to try to change his mind

Reaction Score
Whitmer had less pressure because he made decisions and got rid of the ball sooner than the other QBs.

No question that Nebrich payed the biggest price for wearing the red shirt. It completely killed his ability to run or improvise, two of his strengths. And I might add, that Nebrich would be much further along if P gave him a little burn at QB last year. P had plenty of chances, like the whole 4th quarter against WVU, to get him some snaps against good competition. Instead, he nailed him to the bench.

That said, CW simply does EVERYTHING better than the other QBs. And he produced (remember production?). He put up two 14 points and 187 yards in half a game. For the math challenged that extrapolates to 28 points and 374 yards passing in a game.
I totally agree with your first point here. It wasn't as if the offensive line suddenly became 5 all americans when Whitmer took the field. he simply was in command, made good quick decisions and threw the ball on the mark. that is a huge difference from EVRYONE else. And even the interception, he was trying to get points. But guys looked open when he was in there while the looked covered with the other 3. But I really think you take the coaches' comments with a grain of salt. those are meant to motivate everyone for the off season. No different than Edsall saying the quarterback job was up for grabs when Orlovsky was a senior, which he actually said with a straight face. The aim is to make sure the #1 doesn't let up and that the #2-5 don't either. There is no question who "produced."

Reaction Score

They've been watching these guys for the past month. I'd assume each QB has had good days and bad. We saw one scrimmage. I agree Whitmer had the best day but what exactly does naming a starter right now accomplish? Halfway through August would be where I'd like to see a starter named - 1 to 2 weeks prior to the opener.

Reaction Score
I will bet you $1,000 and give you 500 to 1 odds.

I'll take Whitmer and you take the rest of the field. Whoever starts on 8/30 wins the bet.

Reaction Score
Couple things, first I think they want someone else to step up and make a run at the position. U can't tell me that after posting the numbers Nebrich threw up in high school, that the kid isn't capable of playing. I really want to see more of this kid and I think they do too. On that note, it's pretty hard to asses where a kid is in his drop back, read etc... When he's on his back all day long. The oline was terrible on Sat. Yes CW looked pretty good, and I think all of us on the board were desperate for someone to separate themselves frm the pack. CW may have done that but I think the coaches were fair in stating that they will reserve judgement til they see who was matched up w/ who on the film. If u name ur starter now, that does two things.. First, it tells 4 other qb's that their out, so go sit down on the bench. That effects morale. In addition, ur sending the msg that if u work hard in the system like these other qb's have over he past year or two, an outsider can just walk in and take over, if he is head and shoulders above the rest, well fine case closed but I don't think were there yet. Either way, that all affects the locker room and w/ a veteran coaching staff, they know that! Either way, I agree that we need a QB to separate himself by a large margin now and tag him as the starter, but we shall see......

From my perspective, the difference between Whitmer and the pack was larger after watching a replay. Outside of the two bad decisions, he was solid. They all took sacks, but Whitmer's were much more to do with OL breakdowns. Nebrich in particular looked indecisive.

Reaction Score
Wasn't at game, but kind of sounds like without Whitmer, the UConn offense was the same old juggernaut as last year. Wow I hope this kid can play because fans just can't go through another season of offensive incompetence.

Reaction Score

You really don't put any weight whatsoever in practice, do you? From the fact that they didn't have an "A" offense and a "B" offense, and who started, I think it is safe to say that Whitmer did not come near winning the job outright in the month of practices leading up to the spring game. He was, obviously, far and away the best QB this weekend.

So now the staff has to take both those facts, figure out where they are and set the strategy for how "open" the competition is, and how much they think they know who the QB is, when summer camp opens. What they thankfully won't do is say "Forget the month of practices -- CW looked the best in front of our fanbase during the last scrimmage so let's immediately please the fanbase by saying he's the starter."

Reaction Score
You really don't put any weight whatsoever in practice, do you? From the fact that they didn't have an "A" offense and a "B" offense, and who started, I think it is safe to say that Whitmer did not come near winning the job outright in the month of practices leading up to the spring game. He was, obviously, far and away the best QB this weekend.

So now the staff has to take both those facts, figure out where they are and set the strategy for how "open" the competition is, and how much they think they know who the QB is, when summer camp opens. What they thankfully won't do is say "Forget the month of practices -- CW looked the best in front of our fanbase during the last scrimmage so let's immediately please the fanbase by saying he's the starter."
After watching the QB evaluation process by this coaching staff last year, who knows what they think?

I not going to make any judgements based on practices I didn't watch. However, the difference was so glaring on Saturday, one would think that however Whitmer has been has been practicing, he learned his lessons well, or he would not have been capable of that performance.

Reaction Score
pal,
I really think you are confusing coachspeak with reality. Pasquoloni didn't go out and recruit Whitmer because he was overly confident that he had the quarterback solution already on board. He brought him in to up the quality of play. Whitmer has clearly done that. Best case everyone follows suit. Worst case, he starts and if he plays like he did Saturday, he'll be pretty good.

Reaction Score
After watching the QB evaluation process by this coaching staff last year, who knows what they think?

I not going to make any judgements based on practices I didn't watch. However, the difference was so glaring on Saturday, one would think that however Whitmer has been has been practicing, he learned his lessons well, or he would not have been capable of that performance.

I thought Whitmer was better than the pack on Sat., but as I said on another post, I applaud the staff fro saying let's evaluate the tape before we annoint a winner. I am confused by your quote - you won't make judgments on practices you never saw, but you think the staff made bad evaluations in practice last year? Did you see practices last year?

Reaction Score
P is being coy, DeLeone may be nuts.

The UMASS D will take the field before we know who the starter will be. We will be texting "Krugs" two days before the game to get the inside scoop.
Exactly. .. P is smarter than people think. He has been in the biz a long time. Not sure why he keeps the mad scientist around but hope this offense puts up some numbers this year. We know they can hog the clock.

Reaction Score
I thought Whitmer was better than the pack on Sat., but as I said on another post, I applaud the staff fro saying let's evaluate the tape before we annoint a winner. I am confused by your quote - you won't make judgments on practices you never saw, but you think the staff made bad evaluations in practice last year? Did you see practices last year?

Jeeeez Lousie, I wasn't talking about practice in either instance.

Reaction Score
Jeeeez Lousie, I wasn't talking about practice in either instance.

I really wasn't looking for an Alan Iverson response - I was being serious. What evaluation are you referring to? There was no in game evaluations done once the staff looked at Nebrich's feet and eyes in that ISU game and saw a true frosh not quite ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom