Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If it was a weak draft DD should go but I see 2nd round for him this year. He should stay and get a more consistent game and do it all year not just at the end.
Boat has to stay and take the reins as PG for next year. In the end he is really 5'9" or 5'10" and not 6'1 which makes it tough for the NBA

Like I said earlier, if you are sitting at #20-25 and a player with the physical/talent makeup of DD is still on the board, you absolutely take him. Those types aren't a dime a dozen. Motor might be a question mark, but every player has question marks after the first half of the 1st round.

Reaction Score
If they are lottery picks they should go, if not the should come back. I don't see either of them going in the lottery.....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No way Daniels doesn't go in the first round of the NBA. If you are sitting at #20, and DD, a 6'8" wing who can shoot and defend, is sitting on the board, you absolutely take him. Too much potential. Even if you think it's a flyer; People take flyers in the lottery.

I think he would likely go in the 20's. There are a lot of other flyers out there as well. My point was that by coming back and getting stronger, and playing like this all year, he could go into the lower end of the lottery, or higher depending who else comes out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think there is anything Daniels can realistically do to make himself a lottery pick, and he could slide backwards in the draft with an off year next year or if UConn isn't as good.

Boat is a different story. He is athletic enough to get himself into the late lottery or at least Top 20 with a big year at PG in 2015.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
To reiterate, I thought Shabazz was a second round or late first round pick prior to the tournament. Now, I think he will go around 20, maybe a little higher. He is a point guard that could be a quality 15-20 mpg back up in the NBA right now. Those are not that easy to find, and it is hard for an underclassman to knock Shabazz down the rankings with a good workout because PG is so dependent on recognition and intelligence.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I hope that Shabazz has a serious with these guys about what it means to stick around when your draft stock is questionable and the importance of a degree. It would be a huge move both on and off the court if we could get these guys to graduate.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To reiterate, I thought Shabazz was a second round or late first round pick prior to the tournament. Now, I think he will go around 20, maybe a little higher. He is a point guard that could be a quality 15-20 mpg back up in the NBA right now. Those are not that easy to find, and it is hard for an underclassman to knock Shabazz down the rankings with a good workout because PG is so dependent on recognition and intelligence.

His shooting really propels him in that role. He has the handle, is an average defender, is crafty and smart...but he is also instant offense. Those guys always have a role on an NBA bench. He scored against superior athletes while being the focus of the opposing defense, he can definitely score in the NBA while being the 3rd or 4th option.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
His shooting really propels him in that role. He has the handle, is an average defender, is crafty and smart...but he is also instant offense. Those guys always have a role on an NBA bench. He scored against superior athletes while being the focus of the opposing defense, he can definitely score in the NBA while being the 3rd or 4th option.

Average defender? Definitely above average. Wasn't just Boatright out there all tournament playing lock down D. And I think it'll increase as he gets stronger with NBA strength programs.

I know you are thinking how it translates to the NBA. Playing great D is often about mindset, as much as skill, and Shabazz has that.

Reaction Score
One of the most remarkable traits of this elite UConn program is the sense of family among all its players, past and present. I would hope the fanbase, like the team and its coach, would rally around these kids and help support whatever the best decision is for their respective futures!

One thing the squid said last night that stuck with me is that these kids, like DD and Boat, were all about the team and did what it took to win. The season is over. Now, its not about the team, its about the individual. We owe that to DD and Boat. If DD gets a 1st round promise, he should go. Either way, like family, we should want whats best for them.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
I think DD will leave and get drafted between 25-35.

Boat will stay and be a late second rounder after his senior year a la Peyton Siva.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Average defender? Definitely above average. Wasn't just Boatright out there all tournament playing lock down D. And I think it'll increase as he gets stronger with NBA strength programs.

I know you are thinking how it translates to the NBA. Playing great D is often about mindset, as much as skill, and Shabazz has that.

He's only average in the NBA. His size is a huge disadvantage against many NBA guards.

Reaction Score
He's only average in the NBA. His size is a huge disadvantage against many NBA guards.
He did ok against 6-6 guards yesterday...they were future NBA Gaurds (I suppose).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He did ok against 6-6 guards yesterday...they were future NBA Gaurds (I suppose).
Husky Hawk is right. How many NBA caliber guards did Boatright and Napier play against? 5? 10?

In the NBA, they are all NBA caliber and that's not considering that some, who had the skill set, played small forward in college.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I am just enjoying this improbable drive to destiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As far as either man's chances, Boat will not be drafted due to his size AND the fact that no one has seen him in a leadership role. I think he can get himself to a 2nd rounder next year by working on his long range jumper, finishing his drives and a decision to play selflessly 100% of the time. His defense is awesome and shows real times of brilliance.
DD is another story - there is great pressure from his father to stay in school and graduate. He is laidback and that will leave him unwilling to rock the boat at the home front. Is he NBA ready? Skill wise yes except the handle. Physically? No, he needs a full year of real concentration of adding muscle (he can do it in the pros, yes, but at the cost of watching and not utilizing skills at playing daily). Mentally? That is the biggest question. Seems he plays when he wants to and unless you have the desire to bring it 100% everyday when you are getting paid to do so, your time will be awfully short. Where will he go this year - depending on who comes out- I really don't see him as a 1st rounder now. The league is full of 6"8" - 6'10" guys who can shoot and jump but the biggest difference is size, strength and speed.
I any case I want to thank these two guys as well as all the seniors for staying and giving UConn another banner to fly.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think Boat has to come back to prove he can play PG for a full season. If he can, due to his D, athleticism and toughness I think he'll make the NBA - he comes back.

I can't imagine Daniels not being a first round pick, it just depends how high he can go. If it's middle 1st he has to go, if it'slate first, then maybe he has a decision - I think he probably goes pro.

Either way, love these guys and couldn't be happier for either and what they decide.

Reaction Score
if DD is a first round pick he should go, I wouldn't be surprised if exceeds scouts expectations in workouts ala Tony Snell last year. We all hear the stories about how DD is a beast in practice but doesn't always put it together in games, this FF run coupled with some strong workouts should probably lock up a spot somewhere in the 20s. Having both him and hopefully Bazz go first round would be even more momentum for the program.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Harrisons will have strong NBA careers...

Yea i dont know hence the "I suppose". They probably won't be great nba Gaurds but they'll be in the mix for a few years id say.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While losing Daniels would hurt us next year, getting Daniels and Napier drafted in the first round this year would be HUGE for recruiting.

Reaction Score
There is a graveyard of kids like Daniels who had a chance to come out early and be a first round pick and stuck around too long only to not get drafted.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be opposed to DD going pro because I don't know if his stock will ever be higher. We always knew he had crazy talent, but to see him finally have his coming out party on the biggest stage of all was incredible. He's a guy who could really benefit from the increased practice/training time at the next level, and teams in the late first would jump at his potential. That said, I hope he comes back & solidifies himself as a lottery pick.

Boat, on the other hand, needs to prove that he can run the show. Yeah he could make an NBA roster with his defense and explosiveness, but coming back to school would be the best way for him to "play for that 2nd contract". He's barely started to scratch the surface of his potential in Storrs.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Not that ESPN is the end-all authority, but for what it is worth & accounting for the NCAA bump: Bazz is projected as #26 (late 1st round) although curiously the other prospects have their standard height listed but they cut Bazz down to 6'0", DeAndre #39 (mid-2nd round) and they cut him down to 6'7" (Chad Ford's list). Boat is not in the top 100.

Reaction Score
DD is in a different situation than a lot of the other guys who "stayed too long" in that he has something he can improve upon in another season that is tangible and most definitely holding his draft stock down - his size. 6'7" <200 in the NBA is a tough go. My gut on him right now says he declares but doesn't hire an agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom